or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung tempers expectations for a 64-bit Android answer to Apple's A7

Samsung tempers expectations for a 64-bit Android answer to Apple's A7 - Page 4

post #121 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Dyson doesn't, which is why they are suing Samsung for stealing their ideas.

yes, it was a joke

Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
post #122 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

So DeD head is hinting Apple copied those elements from Samsung then.  They have been on show before anyone saw any aspects of iOS 7.

The Note III doesn't have 64bit architecture and it's no slouch in performance terms.  It's GPU outperforms the 5s according to Anandtech.  But seriously, the performance of all the high end phones is so impressive that arguing which one is a few percent better in specs or performance is willy waving.

Wrong on both counts. Tizen 1.0 from last year looked more like Android, and its slider controls were vertical boxes that looked like a sloppy attempt to look like OS X, rather than appropriating iOS 7’s distinctive round controls as the latest Tizen 2 does. Suggesting that Samsung doesn’t always look to Apple for its "inspiration" for everything is just embarrassing for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnYC4lpCTi4

The Note III lacks the volume and thermal constraints of being a phone-sized device. It’s a small tablet. It has a "8 core" chip (four of which are large, the other four of which are anemic embedded cores) clocked far higher and is outfitted with more RAM and supported by a larger battery. It certainly is "no slouch," but it’s also expensive and not very popular outside of Korea, where is has been very popular.

But Korea is only 11% of Samsung’s TOTAL market, and "Phablets" only account for 7-10% of the market elsewhere, including China. 

The problem for Samsung and its Note III powered by an 8 core chip is that chip can’t be used in other volume devices or at all in the North American market. So all that work and investment went into Exynos low volume parts that aren’t very flexible and hog resources and cost a lot. 

Apple’s A7 performs faster, is cheaper to build, and Apple is putting it in its top selling iPhone 5s and both new iPad models. That’s mass deployment. So a large percentage of Apple’s platform will be 64-bit capable before Samsung even produces its first silicon. 

If you think processor advancements don’t matter, I invite you to read some history about the PC market. Because enabling power facilitates new jumps in capabilities. 

post #123 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Kind of makes you wonder why they didn't think of auto-layout in iOS 1 doesn't it?

Seems a bit of a shame to me that Apple has lost the entire Phablet market plus all of the market for people who want phones > 4".  

It's not like Samsung has gained hugely because of this little oversight, or that many people actually buy non-Apple phones > 4"; actually I'm pretty sure that every other manufacturer's flagship phone is <3".  And it's not like much of Apple's profits are tied up with the iPhone either..so no reason to rush...hell if we get a 4.5" screen in 2015, that's good enough for me.

From the article.

100,000,000 Galaxy S devices not yet sold over the entire time of their existence vs 150,000,000 iPhones per year.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #124 of 172

Sort of a curious position were there 64-bit in the works in the immediate future as this meeting as I understand it was an investor handholding session to quell some nerves about Samsung's future.

I'd think at a confidence building event you'd pull out all the stops.

Edited by jfc1138 - 11/7/13 at 1:40pm
post #125 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

yes, it was a joke

Like Samsung.

post #126 of 172

I believe he was refering to the leader, of the group, that haven't created a 64-bit archtecture yet.

post #127 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Is this Apple Insider or Samsung insider? Why do we need all these Samsung stories? 1oyvey.gif

Keep your enemies even closer?

post #128 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Wrong on both counts. Tizen 1.0 from last year looked more like Android, and its slider controls were vertical boxes that looked like a sloppy attempt to look like OS X, rather than appropriating iOS 7’s distinctive round controls as the latest Tizen 2 does. Suggesting that Samsung doesn’t always look to Apple for its "inspiration" for everything is just embarrassing for you.

Quote:

Tizen 2.0 operating system released to developers

The Intel and Samsung backed operating system is seen as potential competition to Android in some markets

By John Ribeiro
February 18, 2013 11:48 PM

Apple is finished - game over.  Obviously from what you have said Samsung knows what Apple are up to nearly a year in advance, they might as well give up.

On the other hand, you could be wrong.

post #129 of 172
Vaporware is a great PR tool for both Samsung and Google.
post #130 of 172
Quote:

Apple is finished - game over.  Obviously from what you have said Samsung knows what Apple are up to nearly a year in advance, they might as well give up.

On the other hand, you could be wrong.

No you are wrong and you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Tizen 2.0 also looked like Android, and the link you gave of MWC can be seen to have the same weird controls as Tizen 1.0.

Tizen 2.0 Hands On at MWC 2013 | Engadget - YouTube

Tizen 2.2 was beta released in late July, and ripped off the look of iOS7 from WWDC nearly two months earlier. 

Why do you lie about everything or speak well past your understanding of the subject? Do you really love Samsung’s third rate crap that much?   

post #131 of 172
It's not easy to reverse engineer a chip. It's clearly beyond the scope of Google and samsung who are furiously trying but they realize they will spending $2 billion dollars with no real payoff. They are hoping ARM does one in the nxt 5 years so they can continue to sell $20 smartphones - based on their sales graph of high end smartphones, it's clear they are conceeding that to Apple and will just be aiming at the mid tier to bargain hunters - there are only 500 million high end users (Apple's market) and over 2 billion mid to low end users - where Google and samsung are more comfortable. they can copy technology and simply use marketing to differentiate.
post #132 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

What is innovative about resizable windows? All I see is a clunky hack that wastes a huge chunk of screen in order to make it one-handed friendly.

If one hates Apple, anything competitors do is "innovation." And everything Apple does is "stale." This is how the AI trolling game is played. Repeat next thread.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #133 of 172

I'm pretty sure it's the silly feature where the camera records using both the front and back facing cameras at the same time.  Some Android phones already do this with photos, taking a picture of you taking the picture, and then storing both together... for some reason.  Sounds like that may also happen with video?  

post #134 of 172
Quote:

So? I come here to read Apple news. Not cherry picked "festures" or "editorials" about Samsung.

Then why bother to read the story and write two posts complaining about it? Skip over it - many of us WANT to read such stories. Quit annoying us with your repetitive, whiny posts.

post #135 of 172

I agree with you.

Look at what companies like Micromax (which has equal share as samsung for smartphone market in India) is doing to samsung. Micromax is making very very similar phones like samsung in terms of size, HW features, SW features but sell it at 60% of samsung price. In a year or two, Micromax is going to be bigger market share than samsung in india.

It would be interesting to see if Samsung would go after them for any type of copyright/patent infringement.

post #136 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith1 View Post

I agree with you.

Look at what companies like Micromax (which has equal share as samsung for smartphone market in India) is doing to samsung. Micromax is making very very similar phones like samsung in terms of size, HW features, SW features but sell it at 60% of samsung price. In a year or two, Micromax is going to be bigger market share than samsung in india.

It would be interesting to see if Samsung would go after them for any type of copyright/patent infringement.

Samsung will probably follow their usual modus operandi:-

a) pay people to relentlessly bash them online,

b) carpet bomb with an advertising blitz via every available medium.

post #137 of 172
Quote:

64bit, the countdown began on September 10, 2013.
What does 64 bit have to do with Apple having a better Google Now or Google Maps? Or something we're not even thinking about? To me 64 bit is just more evidence that Apple excels at hardware more than software.
post #138 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Techno-hipsters may be clamoring for a larger-screened iPhone, but let me clue you in, out here in the real world, anybody who wrestles one of these ridiculous tombstone phones out of their pocket is a laughingstock. You may not see everybody rolling their eyes and smirking at each other behind your back, but believe me, they are. I see it every day on the bus, in stores, basically everywhere I go.

The iPhone's screen is already too big, in the sense that they increased its size by going to 16:9—a horrendous aspect ratio for a phone, or a tablet...or a computer monitor, for that matter. Absolutely the only screen that should be 16:9 is a TV. Period. The oddball 3:2 aspect ratio on the original iPhone was already too narrow. What they should do is eliminate the side bezel and maintain the same screen area with a 4:3 ratio.

I guarantee the people screaming for a bigger iPhone are some of the same ones who were squealing about the original iPhone being too big. Just pathological Apple-bashers and paid shills.

I agree about aspect ratio; however, I am neither an Apple hater nor paid shill and I want a bigger screen. Ultimately, after trying a Galaxy S4 for six months, I came back because of lag and other usability/integration issues, but it sure was nice not to have to scroll back and forth so much.

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

post #139 of 172
Quote:

What does 64 bit have to do with Apple having a better Google Now or Google Maps? Or something we're not even thinking about? To me 64 bit is just more evidence that Apple excels at hardware more than software.

Millions of iPhone 5s users are already using 64bit software AND hardware.

The timer for Android/Samsung to catch up started on the day Apple caught them by surprise by announcing it.

I don't use either of those services, I prefer alternatives, any alternatives to the bait Google uses to sell ads, I either uninstalled them or didn't install them in the first place, across the board, I don't use any of their software.

I no longer want to participate in their schemes.

post #140 of 172
Quote:

What is innovative about resizable windows? All I see is a clunky hack that wastes a huge chunk of screen in order to make it one-handed friendly.

That indeed must be the most pathetic way to go about a larger screen. They truly don't get the bigger picture.

Only thing I like about that phone is f/2. I also saw specs that I cannot comprehend why this is being implemented, like IR and DNLA.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #141 of 172
Quote:

On software, did you forget about iOS? Would you prefer Android?

By the way, Google Earth has an insanely disheveled interface. Google Now I haven't used, but I suspect its strength lies in how Google can leverage search and location data and the datbase itself. This is a legitimate Google strength and we know why—to sell user data in real time.

64 bit so far has to do with Apple giving the user a better photography experience through image-processing software. Apple has always been as good with software as they are with hardware. I fact, I think they see function and form as two parts of the same process of usability. Put that in your meme pipe and smoke it.
post #142 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

No you are wrong and you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Tizen 2.0 also looked like Android, and the link you gave of MWC can be seen to have the same weird controls as Tizen 1.0.

Tizen 2.0 Hands On at MWC 2013 | Engadget - YouTube

Tizen 2.2 was beta released in late July, and ripped off the look of iOS7 from WWDC nearly two months earlier. 

Why do you lie about everything or speak well past your understanding of the subject? Do you really love Samsung’s third rate crap that much?   

Are you actually  DeD head?

You claim the WWDC where iOS was previewed was nearly two months prior to the release of Tizen 2.2, which you say borrows the round horizontal sliders from iOS 7.  The WWDC started on June 10th.  Tizen 2.2 was released on July 21nd.  That is not "nearly 2 months"  in my Weltanschauung.

But ok, Samsung's lightning fast coders might barely have had time to copy those rounded sliders you seem so irate over - except, yet again, they must have been prescient, because those design elements seem to have already been in Tizen 2.1 released on the18th of May.  For some reason, I found a Youtube video of a phone running Tizen 2.1 that was uploaded on the 4th of May.  It shows the rounded icons, the rounded point headers and the rounded on-off switches.  Another video from the 11th of May shows horizontal rounded sliders:

Oops, I think the basis for your hissy little rant just flew right out the window - bye bye little rant.

Oh hang on a minute, the slider in that video doesn't have the numerical value of the setting - oh dear - maybe they borrowed that bit - from their own Bada OS from 2010:

How naughty of them.

You really shouldn't bandy about accusations like 'liar'  - you know, in case someone less polite than I was to refer to an old saw based on cooking apparatus.

Edited by cnocbui - 11/8/13 at 2:10am
post #143 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by starxd View Post

I'm pretty sure it's the silly feature where the camera records using both the front and back facing cameras at the same time.  Some Android phones already do this with photos, taking a picture of you taking the picture, and then storing both together... for some reason.  Sounds like that may also happen with video?  

Pretty sure you're right. Turn any picture into a selfie-within-a-picture. Dual camcording!
post #144 of 172
Quote:

So you can see a 1 fps difference? Which is what the iPhone lost by in 2 of the 3 rendering losses. And yes, anything over 60fps is "not noticeable" because onscreen performance is limited by v-sync. So that means the Note III would have capped out at 60 fps due to vsync which means that onscreen difference would really have only been 3 fps or a 5% gap instead of 12 fps or a 20% gap. Also, 99% of people won't see the difference between 57 and 60 fps because they are so close.

On the other hand, the Note III lost to the 5S at margins of 11 fps (37 vs 26) for T-Rex HD, 11 fps again (27 vs 16) on Basemark X onscreen and 2 fps (15 vs 13) on Basemark X offscreen.

So A7's losses were 2% (53 fps vs 54 fps), 4% (24 fps vs 25fps) and 21% (57 fps vs 69 fps) on rendering tests. Note III's losses were 42% (26 fps vs 37 fps), 69% (16 fps vs 27 fps) and 16% (15.7 fps vs 13.5 fps). The only thing embarrassing is that the Note III didn't beat the A7 in every test and in 2 of it's 3 losses percentage-wise it lost by 2 and 3 times the margin of the A7's worse loss respectively and it's narrowest loss margin was 8 times worse than the A7's narrowest loss margin.

by the losses were embarassing, I meant embarrassing for samsung.....

Quote:

Jokes are defined by being funny, no? And, no, I got your attempt at a joke. It just completely failed and missed the mark. The A7 is not half-baked nor rushed and hence your "joke" basically falls flat.

dude.
turn on your sarcasm detector.
you were supposed to get that even without one....
post #145 of 172
" think we are at the leader group in terms of 64-bit offerings"

Yes, but your 64 bit A7 supply contract to Apple no doubt means you cannot expand to 64 bit in Smartphones until Q3 2014.
post #146 of 172
Quote:

I no longer want to participate in their (Google) schemes.

I remember you mentioning before that you'd rather participate in Microsoft schemes. 1wink.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #147 of 172
Quote:

You've missing a lot about all the software tech infused into iOS, where iOS is a full desktop class OS minus filesystem access, Android is more like an evolution of Symbian OS with runtime environment based on a JVM.

post #148 of 172
", where iOS is a full desktop class OS minus "

everything PC like.
post #149 of 172
Originally Posted by poksi View Post
Market for so-called premium Android phones will freeze, not just cool down next year with arrival of larger screen iPhone. 

Nope. And nope.

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post
SJ's Rule #1: To be a successful technology company, you have to be 10 years ahead of the competition. Apple is about 5 years ahead right now.

Since when? He never said that. He has always explicitly said you can’t guess more than five years into the future, so don’t bother trying. He said at MacWorld 2007 the iPhone was 5 years ahead of anything others were doing. Where are you creating “10 years”?

But but but but but… NO ONE uses their phone with only one hand!

Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Seems a bit of a shame to me that Apple has lost the entire Phablet market plus all of the market for people who want phones > 4".  

It’s almost as though you’re completely wrong about what you’re saying, isn’t it?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #150 of 172

predicting a leap from 13 megapixel mobile cameras to 20 megapixels in two years

No, I don't think so. It's not like we got "greater than 24 bit / 72hz audio". Audio quality didn't keep going up and I think we are nearly at peak demand for resolution if we hit 20 megapixels. Things like infinite depth of field, or 3D capture -- sure. But screen resolutions greater than 300 DPI? There's a limit to what is "good enough" and then when everyone hits that target, they either have to innovate or the refine or it gets cheaper.

I think the days of "ten year projected trend lines" are habitual, but nobody in the audience really believes the crystal ball that goes beyond two years.

It's really impressive what Smart Phones are doing now -- but pressuring Samsung on "not yet 64 bit" is silly. It would be good for all the components and to add compatibility to -- not sure what, but since the desktop is mostly 64 bit, conventional wisdom demands it on the phone. Only, there's exact need for that much address space yet on a phone.

Samsung's great challenge is in their OS and creating a compelling "ecosystem". And they are making moves in that direction, which put them completely at odds with Google who wants them on the Android platform. Which is going to cause more fractionating of the platform. And then Samsung will be attempting to either marginalize Google or the other way around. Which means they'd better have everything good because they won't be using other people's tech -- of course, nothing prevents them from copying good ideas. Nothing. *heh*

post #151 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Pretty sure you're right. Turn any picture into a selfie-within-a-picture. Dual camcording!

Wow, you could put a selfie in a picture of a plate of food...

...duck lips within a plate of duck...

...mind blown.

The horror.

post #152 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I remember you mentioning before that you'd rather participate in Microsoft schemes. 1wink.gif

Don't care, as long as it's not Google.

Microsoft make their money selling software, Google make theirs selling ads.

That is the difference.

post #153 of 172
Quote:

Wow, you could put a selfie in a picture of a plate of food...

...duck lips within a plate of duck...

...mind blown.

The horror.

I wonder if even Samsung thought of that. I see a great future for you if you go to work for them. I wouldn't blame you for it, you'd just be giving them enough rope . . .
post #154 of 172
Quote:

Don't care, as long as it's not Google.

Microsoft make their money selling software, Google make theirs selling ads.

That is the difference.

One slight correction if I may?

Google makes their money selling US.

post #155 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

predicting a leap from 13 megapixel mobile cameras to 20 megapixels in two years

…..

Less about the raw pixel number and more about the sensor size.. Similar to the FX vs DX in the DSLR area. Cramming a gazillion ever smaller sensor elements into the same teensy sensor area is hitting limits already.

The number looks good in the advert, the resulting image? Notsomuch.

post #156 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOA1 View Post

Really?

No mentioning of these recent events?

This page really is the Pravda of the tech-world...

Well, here are un-censored Apple Insights:

iPad Air EXPLODES INTO FIREBALL as terrified fanbois flee Apple Store 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/8/ipad-explodes-setting-australian-store-customers-f/

"An Apple iApparatchik was straight on the scene to work out why the Air had caught fire."

Hey dude someone didn't follow instructions when removing a security device, these are the consequences of stabbing a Li-ion battery with a metal screwdriver.

post #157 of 172
these are the consequences of stabbing a Li-ion battery with a metal screwdriver.

Now he has to prove you wrong by doing it himself. I'll alert the committee.

post #158 of 172
Quote:

Are you actually  DeD head?

Erhm, he is DED
post #159 of 172

Edited by cnocbui - 11/9/13 at 3:05am
post #160 of 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Erhm, he is DED

Thanks. That's what I figured from his fanatical manner, humbug and pretentious air of superiority.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung tempers expectations for a 64-bit Android answer to Apple's A7