or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple claims 'world's most valuable brand' crown for 3rd consecutive year

Apple claims 'world's most valuable brand' crown for 3rd consecutive year

post #1 of 41
With a calculated brand value nearly twice that of the nearest competitor, Apple once again finds itself at the peak of an annual ranking of the world's most valuable brands.

Top five of Forbes most valuable brands rankings

Apple is joined by fellow technology giants Microsoft, IBM, Google, Intel, and Samsung in the top ten of the once-yearly Forbes rankings, with non-tech brands McDonald's, General Electric, and Louis Vuitton rounding out the group.

Apple, Google, and Samsung benefited from double-digit percentage point increases in brand value since last year's survey, with stalwart Apple foe Samsung posting a particularly impressive 53 percent leap to $29.5 billion. Cupertino's largest taxpayer climbed 20 percent to $104.3 billion, while Google gained 26 percent to settle at $47.3 billion.

Samsung, whose brand value has climbed more than 130 percent over the last three years, sports the lowest advertising spend-to-brand value ratio. The Korean conglomerate spent just under $4.4 billion on advertising last year, approximately $149 million in advertising for every $1 million in brand value. Apple, in contrast, spent just $10 million on ads for every $1 million in brand value.

Finland's Nokia and Canada's BlackBerry find their brands on a different trajectory, with the companies caught in a downward spiral after underestimating the popularity of Apple's iPhone and devices running Google's Android operating system. The brands' values have plummeted by 74 and 64 percent, respectively, in the last three years, relegating Nokia to the lists's 71st slot and dropping BlackBerry from the rankings entirely.

Forbes says the rankings are calculated by a formula which includes a variable portion of the companies' trailing three-year revenues and the stocks' average price-to-earnings ratio over that same period of time. The amount of revenue in the equation is determined by how important a brand is to the success of businesses in that category --?a higher proportion for luxury retailers, for example, and a lower proportion for airlines.
post #2 of 41
My two-year old Samsung 58" plasma TV has pale violet 8-inch wide horizontal stripe across the screen whenever there is a white background, LIKE APPLE ADS! I think it's a conspiracy.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #3 of 41

Apple has kicked much ass since the late 90's, it's hard to believe how far they've come.

post #4 of 41
" The Korean conglomerate spent just under $4.4 billion on advertising last year, approximately $149 million in advertising for every $1 million in brand value. Apple, in contrast, spent just $10 million on ads for every $1 million in brand value."

If you can't beat 'em, marketing blitz!!!!!
post #5 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung... sports the lowest advertising spend-to-brand value ratio... approximately $149 million in advertising for every $1 million in brand value. Apple, in contrast, spent just $10 million on ads for every $1 million in brand value.

Excuse me, but wouldn't that make Samsung's the highest spend-to-brand value ratio, rather than the lowest?

post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

" The Korean conglomerate spent just under $4.4 billion on advertising last year, approximately $149 million in advertising for every $1 million in brand value. Apple, in contrast, spent just $10 million on ads for every $1 million in brand value."

If you can't beat 'em, marketing blitz!!!!!

Everyone knows Apple is just a marketing company. /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #7 of 41

Doooooooooooomed!™

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 41
How can the brand value be less than the value of the brand?
post #9 of 41
Analysts: who is Apple? Everybody knows Samsucks. (~~~After Samsucks send the analysts a gift)
post #10 of 41
Take this a grain of salt, as soon as you start playing with P/E the enormous market irrationality makes the scores very suspect. Aside from the fact that Apple's P/E is 1/2 of standard routine fortune 500 companies [its almost treated a junk stock] or Amazon that has near zero earning, yet large revenue and an outsized stock price - and is at 33.
post #11 of 41
Quote:

Cupertino's largest taxpayer climbed 20 percent to $104.3 billion

Ireland? Lichtenstein? British Virgin Islands?Maybe.

Cupertino, not so much...
post #12 of 41

WTF google's doing there?!!!!

Other than coming up with freaking ideas to fool people to CLICK, what else they're capable of doing to help / serve our world?!!!

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #13 of 41

Apple claims 'world's most valuable brand' crown for 3rd consecutive year

One of the few things Samsung cannot copy.

post #14 of 41
melior diabolus quem scies
post #15 of 41

Of course. Apple is iconic, and serves as the guiding light for the industry. 

post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

Cupertino, not so much...

I doubt they are Ireland's biggest tax payer.  The story is factually true (that Apple pays more in taxes to the city of Cupertino than anyone else), but it's completely irrelevant every other part of the story or even that sentence.  I think the guys are AI are just running out of "interesting" ways to refer to our favorite fruit company, and they are getting a bit punchy as a result.

post #17 of 41
You've got all that money Apple, now how about making a phone with a bigger screen? I mean is it really that difficult???
post #18 of 41
Quote:

Apple is joined by fellow technology giants Microsoft, IBM, Google, Intel, and Samsung in the top ten of the once-yearly Forbes rankings, with non-tech brands McDonald's, General Electric, and Louis Vuitton rounding out the group.

General Electric has some pretty advanced technology for a non-tech company, you know, like jet engines, avionics, medical imaging, critical power infrastructure, factory automation equipment and toasters. They probably even have more software than Apple. They are a way more advanced technology company than ANY of the so-called tech companies mentioned.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #19 of 41
Everytime on hear I see someone advocating for a bigger iPhone screen my first thought is "Why is it important to have some big object in your hand to hold up to you ear?" WHy don't you get a big phone from Samsung--you would look like a dolt doing that with an iPhone, but if you used an Android phone, everyone would know which side of he fence you are on for sure. I am amazed at those on AI who just whine and cry about phone size and are always telling or threatening Apple with what they are going to do. Chances are, these fools have no idea of what kind of brain power goes on at Apple because theirs is so small.
post #20 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Do these things "help/serve our world'? Are you aware of companies doing more?

(--Google worship omitted--)

The "most valuable brand" comparison isn't a measure of how sanctimonious a company can appear. It's purely an economic comparison.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The "most valuable brand" comparison isn't a measure of how sanctimonious a company can appear. It's purely an economic comparison.

You're correct, it is not. The post was a response to Disturbia's question:
"WTF google's doing there?!!!! Other than coming up with freaking ideas to fool people to CLICK, what else they're capable of doing to help / serve our world?!!!'

He appeared unaware of anything about Google beyond ads.
post #22 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

General Electric has some pretty advanced technology for a non-tech company, you know, like jet engines, avionics, medical imaging, critical power infrastructure, factory automation equipment and toasters. They probably even have more software than Apple. They are a way more advanced technology company than ANY of the so-called tech companies mentioned.

GE is a non-tech company? I disagree.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

GE is a non-tech company? I disagree.

..which is a point you and MStone agree on. GE absolutely qualifies as a tech.
post #24 of 41

What is funny is to compare this Forbes ranking to the well known and internationally respected Brandz one.

They use a different valuation based on customer assigned values instead of Wall Street ones which are a recognition of financials and not of what makes a brand. Not that Forbes valuation is useless but it measures another thing.

Microsoft is only 7th in Brandz and Samsung at the 30th rank.

post #25 of 41
Wait, but all the news articles, analyst commentary, blog, etc have all been telling me that Apple is a has-been, that has forgotten how to innovate, with products that are "so far behind" competitors, and that nobody cares about anymore. I'm so confused!
post #26 of 41
Once again, Apple makes it to the top spot in the rankings, as analysts predict it's impending demise. /snark
post #27 of 41
Louis Vuitton rounding out the group.

And...
Since this years a LVMH (Louis Vuitton, Moët, Hennessy) executive works for apple. Interesting things... Interesting...
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You're correct, it is not. The post was a response to Disturbia's question:
"WTF google's doing there?!!!! Other than coming up with freaking ideas to fool people to CLICK, what else they're capable of doing to help / serve our world?!!!'

He appeared unaware of anything about Google beyond ads.

Certainly some admirable work in your list.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

My two-year old Samsung 58" plasma TV has pale violet 8-inch wide horizontal stripe across the screen whenever there is a white background, LIKE APPLE ADS! I think it's a conspiracy.

Should've gotten a Panasonic.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain12 View Post

You've got all that money Apple, now how about making a phone with a bigger screen? I mean is it really that difficult???

Yeah, because Apple hasn't made a larger iPhone until now because they just "didn't have the money", right? 

I mean, do you HONESTLY think Apple can't figure out how to make a bigger screen, or can't financially afford it? They have products with screen sizes from 1.5" to 30" and everything in between. Maybe, just MAYBE, it's not about "difficulty" or "money", but the fact that Apple has CHOSEN not to release such a product as of yet, because it simply did not want to and because they did not believe in this hypothetical product? If you had a shred of insight you could surmise dozens of reasons why Apple have chosen not to do so (comfort, lightness, pocketability, having only 1 line (until a couple months ago), screen quality, PPI, screen fragmentation, development ease, compatibility, acessory ecosystem etc etc). There's a good chance they might in the future, as those dynamics are changing, but to pretend Apple is too fucking stupid to make a bigger phone, with the cause being incompetence, based on Apple's history, makes you look like the fool. 

Edited by Slurpy - 11/7/13 at 4:53pm
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

Cupertino, more than anyone else...

There fixed that for you.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #32 of 41
Quote:

Like FaceTime on an iPad?

post #33 of 41
Yes, teaearlegreyhot, you are correct based on the reported numbers. The reported conclusion is the exact opposite of the reported numbers. Samsung is the highest brand-to-ratio spender. How can they do that? It's so cheap to steal technology instead of inventing it, they have lots of extra cash.
post #34 of 41
Nice seeing the colored logo again. 1smile.gif I love the white one more but this one brings back happy memories of Apple Mk 1 (The company).
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #35 of 41
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Apple claims 'world's most valuable brand' crown for 3rd consecutive year

One of the few things Samsung cannot copy.

This is no different than J. D. Power awards. You’ll see Samsung beat Apple next year.

post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is no different than J. D. Power awards. You’ll see Samsung beat Apple next year.

That was because 18 stars are better than 22.

All Samsung did was change the laws of mathematics.

post #37 of 41
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

All Samsung did was change the laws of mathematics.

*gasp* So that’s how Apple will manage to release 10.10 next year!

post #38 of 41
Quote:

Avoiding that 'til now, is HOW they got all that money?

Oh and they DO make a phone with a bigger screen: the LTE iPad mini and LTE iPad mini retina… at least for the way I use my phone. Proud consumer of 128 minutes of airtime since my first iPhone 3Gs….

post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOA1 View Post

Give it a rest already

28 times you posted this crap.

1 an iPad was stabbed with a metal screwdriver piercing the battery while removing a security device, contrary to the security devices instructions.

2 Apple has to show that they are protecting their trademark or they risk losing it, this is a common occurrence, an everyday event in running a business which has trademarks.

Boring, irrelevant and blocked.

post #40 of 41

Buy Samsung maybe you will be more satisfied than with Apple products.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple claims 'world's most valuable brand' crown for 3rd consecutive year