or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Delayed Retina iPad mini launch blamed on LCD burn-in issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Delayed Retina iPad mini launch blamed on LCD burn-in issues

post #1 of 101
Thread Starter 
A rumor out of the Far East claims issues relating to burn-in on Sharp-made LCD panels is holding up Apple's release of the iPad mini with Retina display, supposedly prompting the company to seek help from Samsung.

iPad mini


Citing an industry source, Korean language publication ETNews claims Apple partner manufacturer Sharp is having problems with its advanced IGZO display technology, causing low yield rates for Retina panels bound for the second-generation iPad mini. This unforeseen setback is purportedly slowing down the production process substantially, leading Apple to look elsewhere for additional supply.

Supposedly at fault are malfunctions relating to Sharp's thin-film transistor, or TFT, implementation, which is causing burn-in on an unknown percentage of produced displays. The Japanese firm is said to be employing low-power IGZO display technology, so named because it uses semiconductor material indium gallium zinc oxide for the LCD's TFT backplane.

The source went on to say that although Sharp's LCD burn-in is not visible to the naked eye, the panels cannot be used due to Apple's strict Retina display standards.

While Sharp is thought to be Apple's secondary Retina display supplier for the new mini, the company is reportedly responsible for 40 percent of all orders, with LG taking the remaining 60 percent. According to the report, LG is using a different, more common substrate called amorphous silicon, or a-Si, for its TFTs.

Apple may be looking to Samsung for display supply for the Retina mini starting in 2014, as the Korean tech giant's low temperature polycrystalline silicon (LTPS) technology is not affected by the burn-in issue, the source said.

Thursday's rumor echoes a report from last week, which also claimed Apple was eyeing a Samsung deal due to Sharp's panel yield issues. That account, however, added that LG is also experiencing problems with its version of the high-resolution screen, quoting a DisplaySearch analyst as saying the display maker was "not close to full production."

Apple announced the iPad mini with Retina display in October alongside the recently-released iPad Air. The full-size tablet started shipping last week, but Apple has yet to disclose a sell-by date for the mini, but promises the tablet will hit store shelves in November.
post #2 of 101
Unlikely

I doubt Samsung could match the low prices of that other technology.
post #3 of 101
well, aside from the confirmation of the IGZO display, which had long been speculated throughout the year, and quite obvious especially after the launch of ipad air, the rest of it already isn't news anymore.. the back to samsung part was also reported weeks ago
post #4 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobsonmyface View Post

Running back to daddy...

LOL. I seriously think Samsung and Apple will be stronger if they can get along.  All it will take is for Samsung to license Apple's IP the same way Microsoft did.  I think the same about Apple & Google too - Google software & services like Google Now are far more impressive than what Apple comes up with.

post #5 of 101
I stopped reading here: "Citing an industry source, Korean language publication ETNews claims Apple partner manufacturer Sharp is having problems ..."
post #6 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobsonmyface View Post

Running back to daddy...

Ah, yes.

Daddy, the innovative creator of the initial personal computer for the masses, the modern GUI, the mouse, numerous interface standards, the modern MP3 player, the current digital music industry, the best retail experiences in the world, not to mention the best customer service in the world, a company responsible for ALL of today's smartphones, cool, stylish computers for the masses, and the modern tablet industry.

Yeah, "Daddy" has been responsible for a lot of Apple's success.
Apple Products: So good that their ‘faulty' products outsell competitor’s faultless ones...
Reply
Apple Products: So good that their ‘faulty' products outsell competitor’s faultless ones...
Reply
post #7 of 101

Bullshit

post #8 of 101
"The source went on to say that although Sharp's LCD burn-in is not visible to the naked eye, the panels cannot be used due to Apple's strict Retina display standards.
"

If the human eye cannot detect it; it good enough for the consumer. Let the display production go forward!
post #9 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The source went on to say that although Sharp's LCD burn-in is not visible to the naked eye, the panels cannot be used due to Apple's strict Retina display standards.

Apple has never had a problem shipping bad displays before. Why stop now?

I've seen everything from dead pixels to fingerprints and debris under the cover glass to nasty looking yellow screens to severe backlight bleeding. At most, maybe one in ten are actually free of noticeable defects.
post #10 of 101
You know; the White and Silver model does appeal to me now! I may switch my purchase from the Black and Space Gray! White is now for me more sophisticated! LOL!
post #11 of 101
This rumour is completely out of touch with manufacturing knowledge, to the point that it is laughable.

"Oops a meddling percent of our displays suffer burn-in", is not the kind of problem that pops up at the 11th hour. Even if such an obvious problem was encountered it would have been apparent during development testing many many months ago.
post #12 of 101
Sounds fake to me! Next!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #13 of 101
The launch has been burned into my brain since way before it was announced. I have no issue with that except having to wait!!!!
Edited by virtua - 11/8/13 at 4:47am
post #14 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

Unlikely

I doubt Samsung could would match the low prices of that other technology.
Fixed that for you.
post #15 of 101
Fast east = lie , the most bullshit rumors are most likely from fast east .
post #16 of 101
Numbers wrong... Sharp was 60% and LG was 40% - and it was reported that LG, not Sharp, was having major production issues just a few weeks ago.. and LG, not Sharp, has a reputation for LED Image burn-in. IGZO doesn't tend to have that issue.. So if there are production issues, I tend to believe it's LG, sense they are not using IGZO.. Thats a Sharp technology.

Soooo.. as rumors go.. This one I'd put on the not likely category.. or at the very least, the facts are all jumbled. It's almost like they got the names LG and Sharp swapped around..

Look at the Retina MBP history.. tons of LG screens in the last gen and current generation rMBP have burn in issues. 1smoking.gif
Edited by Adrayven - 11/8/13 at 5:09am
post #17 of 101

For you it's running back to mama!

post #18 of 101
Seriously guys if they can source screens for the Air, the iPhone, touch and whatever why would the Mini have a problem? Yeah I know it's higher resolution but such screens already exist in the market place. I still think the delay has to be something else.
post #19 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus View Post

Apple has never had a problem shipping bad displays before. Why stop now?

I've seen everything from dead pixels to fingerprints and debris under the cover glass to nasty looking yellow screens to severe backlight bleeding. At most, maybe one in ten are actually free of noticeable defects.

You expect us to believe you've seen all of those firsthand? At least when you make dumb comments- try to make them slightly believable instead of all encompassing.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #20 of 101

APPLE DOES NOT OWN THE PRIMARY TECHNOLOGY - DISPLAYS.

post #21 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus View Post

Apple has never had a problem shipping bad displays before. Why stop now?

I've seen everything from dead pixels to fingerprints and debris under the cover glass to nasty looking yellow screens to severe backlight bleeding. At most, maybe one in ten are actually free of noticeable defects.
You've seen enough screens to make this assertion? Bullshit.
post #22 of 101
Whatever the true story is, there does seem to be a running loop of Apple needing to go back to Samsung for one part or another every single generation.

Until Sharp, LG & whoever else you can mention gets their shit together this will continue to happen.

Sadly it looks like they're too incompetent to do so.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #23 of 101

IGZO, a-Si, LTPS?!

 

Are they sure apple will using all sort of different spec back panel that all have different electrical condutivity spec on the same product?

 

correct me if I am wrong that all this back panel will have different characteristic that  directly impact on the battery consumption to screen quality.

 

I mean this will sure cause performance gap from power consumption point of view and image quality across all the IPAD that have different back panel in it. Sounds ridiculous to me. 

post #24 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Numbers wrong... Sharp was 60% and LG was 40% - and it was reported that LG, not Sharp, was having major production issues just a few weeks ago.. and LG, not Sharp, has a reputation for LED Image burn-in. IGZO doesn't tend to have that issue.. So if there are production issues, I tend to believe it's LG, sense they are not using IGZO.. Thats a Sharp technology.

IGZO is also an LG technology.. . . AND a Samsung technology. . . . AND a technology licensed by a few other as yet unnamed companies.
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160566/amazons-kindle-fire-hdx-bests-ipad-air-in-display-test/80#post_2431716
Edited by Gatorguy - 11/8/13 at 6:18am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #25 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

"The source went on to say that although Sharp's LCD burn-in is not visible to the naked eye, the panels cannot be used due to Apple's strict Retina display standards.
"

If the human eye cannot detect it; it good enough for the consumer. Let the display production go forward!

 

And then we'll get endless threads on these forums and others about how people got "defective" screens. The burn in might not be visible immediately, but it would have an effect long-run. It's good that Apple isn't settling for "good enough."

post #26 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You've seen enough screens to make this assertion? Bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

You expect us to believe you've seen all of those firsthand? At least when you make dumb comments- try to make them slightly believable instead of all encompassing.

I've purchased about two dozen iPads and a dozen iPhones since 2010, and have personally seen each of the defects I listed above.

Out of all of those devices only three had no noticeable screen issues, so you do the math.

I'm not blaming Apple. I'm only stating that "perfect" displays are rare, and no one should expect any different just because of some rumor they're delaying the launch until they get all the panels just right. That is what's bullshit.
post #27 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously guys if they can source screens for the Air, the iPhone, touch and whatever why would the Mini have a problem? Yeah I know it's higher resolution but such screens already exist in the market place. I still think the delay has to be something else.


Yeah - trying to avoid buying from Samsung

post #28 of 101

TIL that Far East means "Korean language publication ETNews".

post #29 of 101
Out of ideas for new rumors? Plz disclose if u either want to buy aapl at lower price or u r a short seller. Plus how much Samsucks paid u
post #30 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus View Post


Apple has never had a problem shipping bad displays before. Why stop now?

I've seen everything from dead pixels to fingerprints and debris under the cover glass to nasty looking yellow screens to severe backlight bleeding. At most, maybe one in ten are actually free of noticeable defects.


Wow, you have been inspecting millions of screens?  Or youre are a tech for apple that repair those screens so you see all the bad ones?

Or you could just be another retarded posting garbage, which is a lot more likely...

 

Seriously, I am getting so annoy by retarded Android geeks with specs fixations that I may beat of crap out of the next geek I see on the street carrying an Android phone.


Edited by herbapou - 11/8/13 at 6:59am
post #31 of 101
Quote:
While Sharp is thought to be Apple's secondary Retina display supplier for the new mini, the company is reportedly responsible for 40 percent of all orders, with LG taking the remaining 60 percent. According to the report, LG is using a different, more common substrate called amorphous silicon, or a-Si, for its TFTs.


 

Something doesnt add up in this report, LG and Sharp cant be making 2 completly different screen type for the same device... especially since a-SI would consume a more more power than IGZO.


Edited by herbapou - 11/8/13 at 7:03am
post #32 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Whatever the true story is, there does seem to be a running loop of Apple needing to go back to Samsung for one part or another every single generation.

Until Sharp, LG & whoever else you can mention gets their shit together this will continue to happen.

Sadly it looks like they're too incompetent to do so.

Maybe Sammy pays the media to leak the alleged info. Put Sammy in a positive light and others in a negative one.
post #33 of 101
post #34 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post


Ah, yes.

Daddy, the innovative creator of the initial personal computer for the masses, the modern GUI, the mouse, numerous interface standards, the modern MP3 player, the current digital music industry, the best retail experiences in the world, not to mention the best customer service in the world, a company responsible for ALL of today's smartphones, cool, stylish computers for the masses, and the modern tablet industry.

Yeah, "Daddy" has been responsible for a lot of Apple's success.

 

Ummmm, several companies beat Apple to the personal computer market.  Hell, even Altair did it!  The modern GUI?  Sorry, you're thinkin' Xerox, and the Star Workstation.  "Numerous interface standards?"  Like what?  Dead n' buried Firewire?  Perhaps Thunderbolt......or shall I say....Lightpeak, of which Intel owns 100% rights to?  The modern MP3 player?  Ever seen Sony's NW-series MP3 players?  Pocket-sized with an LCD readout, while Apple offered that clunky, ugly, gigantic first-gen iPod.  The digital music industry?  Debatable.  I laugh at your retail experience comment.  I won't even go there.  Best customer service?  According to a study, Apple's customer service satisfaction index plummeted from the 70th percentile to the 50th, just four points ahead of Dell, and were predicted to be dead last if they didn't pull their socks up in 2012.  Smartphones?  RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM.  And RIM.  "Stylish" computers don't mean much when they're weak, overpriced, and dead ended.  I'm waiting for Apple to start soldering HDDs down, as well as RAM and CPUs.

 

Your Kool-Aid is spiked by Cupertino.  Toss it down the sink and begin an immediate detox diet.  

post #35 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Whatever the true story is, there does seem to be a running loop of Apple needing to go back to Samsung for one part or another every single generation.

Until Sharp, LG & whoever else you can mention gets their shit together this will continue to happen.

Sadly it looks like they're too incompetent to do so.

 

I so, so agree.  This isn't the first, second, or third time this has happened.  It seems like a regular occurrence.  Yet Apple continues to bite the hand that feeds.  

post #36 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus View Post



I've purchased about two dozen iPads and a dozen iPhones since 2010, and have personally seen each of the defects I listed above.

Out of all of those devices only three had no noticeable screen issues, so you do the math.

I'm not blaming Apple. I'm only stating that "perfect" displays are rare, and no one should expect any different just because of some rumor they're delaying the launch until they get all the panels just right. That is what's bullshit.

 

My wife's iPhone 4S has this really nasty looking discolored burn in the upper-right hand corner of her screen.  She can't get rid of it.  I'm tempted to buy a magnet and try to pull it out, but I fear damaging the phone.  Not that she cares, really.  Ever since iOS7 was released, and she noticed that most of the new features are Android copies (not to mention her phone runs like crap now), she's getting a Galaxy S4.  But you're right.  This myth of superior Apple build quality has got to stop.  It's physically impossible, and has been proven to be impossible more times than I care to remember.  Count the class-action lawsuits.  There's a ton of them.

post #37 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroDRAVEN View Post

Ummmm, several companies beat Apple to the personal computer market.  Hell, even Altair did it!  The modern GUI?  Sorry, you're thinkin' Xerox, and the Star Workstation.  "Numerous interface standards?"  Like what?  Dead n' buried Firewire?  Perhaps Thunderbolt......or shall I say....Lightpeak, of which Intel owns 100% rights to?  The modern MP3 player?  Ever seen Sony's NW-series MP3 players?  Pocket-sized with an LCD readout, while Apple offered that clunky, ugly, gigantic first-gen iPod.  The digital music industry?  Debatable.  I laugh at your retail experience comment.  I won't even go there.  Best customer service?  According to a study, Apple's customer service satisfaction index plummeted from the 70th percentile to the 50th, just four points ahead of Dell, and were predicted to be dead last if they didn't pull their socks up in 2012.  Smartphones?  RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM.  And RIM.  "Stylish" computers don't mean much when they're weak, overpriced, and dead ended.  I'm waiting for Apple to start soldering HDDs down, as well as RAM and CPUs.

Your Kool-Aid is spiked by Cupertino.  Toss it down the sink and begin an immediate detox diet.  

Blah blah blah. Apple reinvented all those markets so perhaps his wording was incorrect but the fact is Apple saw what was out there and said that's shit and built its own. You can't deny that. Not everything Apple does is inevitable and that Apple coincidentally got there first.
post #38 of 101
No ipad mini retina for xmas is gonna hurt this quarters results. Suprising apple is still subservient to samsung after everything so far.
post #39 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


You've seen enough screens to make this assertion? Bullshit.

 

Reference the double class action lawsuits, two years in a row against Apple for shipping truckloads of iMacs and Macbooks with defective screens and GPUs.  The screens were either D.O.A., piss-yellow, skewed, or the GPUs failed.  Apple fought tooth and nail to keep from honoring their warranties, enraging legions of Apple customers.  The worst part is that these incidents happened in bulk around the Christmas seasons, which made things a whole lot worse.  Apple has a rather notorious history when it comes to defective displays.

post #40 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroDRAVEN View Post

My wife's iPhone 4S has this really nasty looking discolored burn in the upper-right hand corner of her screen.  She can't get rid of it.  I'm tempted to buy a magnet and try to pull it out, but I fear damaging the phone.  Not that she cares, really.  Ever since iOS7 was released, and she noticed that most of the new features are Android copies (not to mention her phone runs like crap now), she's getting a Galaxy S4.  But you're right.  This myth of superior Apple build quality has got to stop.  It's physically impossible, and has been proven to be impossible more times than I care to remember.  Count the class-action lawsuits.  There's a ton of them.
Hmm....why do I get the feeling this story is BS. But if it's not, I feel bad for your wife stuck with an S4. I have plenty of friends and family running iOS 7 on their iPhone 4S (and 4 even) just fine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: Delayed Retina iPad mini launch blamed on LCD burn-in issues
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Delayed Retina iPad mini launch blamed on LCD burn-in issues