or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Delayed Retina iPad mini launch blamed on LCD burn-in issues

Rumor: Delayed Retina iPad mini launch blamed on LCD burn-in issues - Page 2

post #41 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroDRAVEN View Post

My wife's iPhone 4S has this really nasty looking discolored burn in the upper-right hand corner of her screen.  She can't get rid of it.  I'm tempted to buy a magnet and try to pull it out, but I fear damaging the phone.  Not that she cares, really.  Ever since iOS7 was released, and she noticed that most of the new features are Android copies (not to mention her phone runs like crap now), she's getting a Galaxy S4.  But you're right.  This myth of superior Apple build quality has got to stop.  It's physically impossible, and has been proven to be impossible more times than I care to remember.  Count the class-action lawsuits.  There's a ton of them.

Nice anecdote. My 4S runs great and has no imperfections.

As for lawsuits, that doesn't mean anything. Lawyers can make cases with little evidence or truth.
post #42 of 101
Quote:

Reference the double class action lawsuits, two years in a row against Apple for shipping truckloads of iMacs and Macbooks with defective screens and GPUs.  The screens were either D.O.A., piss-yellow, skewed, or the GPUs failed.  Apple fought tooth and nail to keep from honoring their warranties, enraging legions of Apple customers.  The worst part is that these incidents happened in bulk around the Christmas seasons, which made things a whole lot worse.  Apple has a rather notorious history when it comes to defective displays.
Truckloads? Legions? Amazing then that Apple sells anything at all? I suppose you'd just chalk it up to fanbois buying the Apple hype machine. 1rolleyes.gif
post #43 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus View Post

I've purchased about two dozen iPads and a dozen iPhones since 2010, and have personally seen each of the defects I listed above.

Out of all of those devices only three had no noticeable screen issues, so you do the math.

I'm not blaming Apple. I'm only stating that "perfect" displays are rare, and no one should expect any different just because of some rumor they're delaying the launch until they get all the panels just right. That is what's bullshit.

I guess, you are a beginner troll. Usually, more advanced trolls try to do a better job covering their BS.

post #44 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason79 View Post

IGZO, a-Si, LTPS?!

Are they sure apple will using all sort of different spec back panel that all have different electrical condutivity spec on the same product?

correct me if I am wrong that all this back panel will have different characteristic that  directly impact on the battery consumption to screen quality.

I mean this will sure cause performance gap from power consumption point of view and image quality across all the IPAD that have different back panel in it. Sounds ridiculous to me. 

I was just about to write this. These "industry sources" don't seem to know anything about their industry. It makes no sense to me that Apple would source IGZO and non-IGZO panels for the same product. Third party tests confirmed that the iPad Air's IGZO display is responsible for a huge percentage of the power savings of the entire device. There is zero chance that some ipad Mini's would have a display that consumes ~60% more power and therefore gets x amount of hours less of battery life. Zero.

post #45 of 101
Quote:

Ummmm, several companies beat Apple to the personal computer market.  Hell, even Altair did it!  The modern GUI?  Sorry, you're thinkin' Xerox, and the Star Workstation.  "Numerous interface standards?"  Like what?  Dead n' buried Firewire?  Perhaps Thunderbolt......or shall I say....Lightpeak, of which Intel owns 100% rights to?  The modern MP3 player?  Ever seen Sony's NW-series MP3 players?  Pocket-sized with an LCD readout, while Apple offered that clunky, ugly, gigantic first-gen iPod.  The digital music industry?  Debatable.  I laugh at your retail experience comment.  I won't even go there.  Best customer service?  According to a study, Apple's customer service satisfaction index plummeted from the 70th percentile to the 50th, just four points ahead of Dell, and were predicted to be dead last if they didn't pull their socks up in 2012.  Smartphones?  RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM, RIM.  And RIM.  "Stylish" computers don't mean much when they're weak, overpriced, and dead ended.  I'm waiting for Apple to start soldering HDDs down, as well as RAM and CPUs.

Your Kool-Aid is spiked by Cupertino.  Toss it down the sink and begin an immediate detox diet.  

IF you cant understand the difference between the Xerox GUI concept and how much R&D was involved into making this a working OS you need to go back to youre android geek fandoid sites imo.  Fact is Apple did 95% of the work and fact is Microsoft and IBM clone the crap out of it.

On the Apple market disruption of the MP3 player, smartphone and tablet. Yes, you F idiot, we know those existed before. But did you look at what the devices look like before Apple revamp them and how , again, the freaking world clone the crap out of there R&D.

Ps, sorry if I am cranky this morning but I work in IT on the mainframe, it is my turn on the pager this week and I spent the half the night fixing bugs because of bunch of geeks that thinks they  are so smart cant test there shit properly before putting it up in the production environnent.  Now if you excuse me a have to go yell at some people in a meeting.

Edited by herbapou - 11/8/13 at 7:55am
post #46 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus View Post

Apple has never had a problem shipping bad displays before. Why stop now?

I've seen everything from dead pixels to fingerprints and debris under the cover glass to nasty looking yellow screens to severe backlight bleeding. At most, maybe one in ten are actually free of noticeable defects.

Seriously, I am getting so annoy by retarded Android geeks with specs fixations that I may beat of crap out of the next geek I see on the street carrying an Android phone.

Ok, I'm next in line...the rest please form an orderly queue. 1cool.gif
post #47 of 101
Originally Posted by jobsonmyface View Post
No ipad mini retina for xmas is gonna hurt this quarters results.

Good thing that isn’t happening, then, huh?

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #48 of 101
Quote:

Running back to daddy...

According to Korean sources...

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #49 of 101
Sharp have been in trouble for years know. Good tech but not able to implement. Hopefully the failure rates will decrease as the production ramps up. This is typical for the industry but ideally the major issues are solved before the components are needed.

Apple would like to move away from Samsung but they need reliable sources. Time will tell if they are able to get Sharp and LG up to speed and deliver the majority of the component demand. The end result is the same: Samsung will get less money from Apple over time but the period in which that happens will be longer than we would like.
post #50 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsava View Post

I was just about to write this. These "industry sources" don't seem to know anything about their industry. It makes no sense to me that Apple would source IGZO and non-IGZO panels for the same product. Third party tests confirmed that the iPad Air's IGZO display is responsible for a huge percentage of the power savings of the entire device. There is zero chance that some ipad Mini's would have a display that consumes ~60% more power and therefore gets x amount of hours less of battery life. Zero.

Didn't you read the post a few back, Samsung and LG have licensed IGZO from Sharp. Hell Samsung owns 5% of Sharp.

post #51 of 101

Slightly off topic but after I purchased iPad Air, I don't think I will be waiting for the Mini. The improvements in terms of size, weight, and handling are enormous.  

post #52 of 101
Quote:

My wife's iPhone 4S has this really nasty looking discolored burn in the upper-right hand corner of her screen.

Yeah, those Samsung display panels are a real let down. /s

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #53 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Didn't you read the post a few back, Samsung and LG have licensed IGZO from Sharp. Hell Samsung owns 5% of Sharp.

Actually they all licensed the IP behind IGZO from the Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) who funded the development beginning several years back. Samsung was the first licensee in 2011, with Sharp and LG signing on last year. Sharp was just the more aggressive of the three in actually developing and promoting displays using IGZO technology which led some blogs and new articles to inaccurately write that Sharp invented and control it. They don't.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #54 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Actually they all licensed the IP behind IGZO from the Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) who funded the development beginning several years back. Samsung was the first licensee in 2011, with Sharp and LG signing on last year. Sharp was just the more aggressive of the three in actually developing and promoting displays using IGZO technology which led some blogs and new articles to inaccurately write that Sharp invented and control it. They don't.

I'm not arguing whether LG or Samsung can produce IGZO displays. I'm arguing the sentence in the original article that states: "According to the report, LG is using a different, more common substrate called amorphous silicon, or a-Si, for its TFTs."

There is no way Apple is going to replace IGZO displays with non-IGZO displays in the same product. The power profiles are vastly different.  

post #55 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously guys if they can source screens for the Air, the iPhone, touch and whatever why would the Mini have a problem? Yeah I know it's higher resolution but such screens already exist in the market place. I still think the delay has to be something else.

There are two things to consider.

One, it's not a question of ability but of quantity.

Two, if you take , for instance, doff the same PPI if you 4x the resolution of the iPhone 5S display and see it's perfect you have made what equates to 4 iPhone displays, but if you have an issue in one spot bad in one sector you then have 3 iPhone displays. Now let's say for the sake of the argument the iPad Mini is exactly 4x the iPhone display. With no issues you have one iPad Mini display, but with an issue in one area you have no iPad Mini displays. This makes scaling the same PPI panels exponentially more difficult as you use a higher resolution.

Frankly impressed that Apple was able to do Retina at all this year at the scale they will need.
post #56 of 101
Sharp should just hang it up. Not the company but the terrible upper management that's been running the company into the ground. Fire them all and replace them with energetic young blood that gets it.
post #57 of 101
Quote:

No ipad mini retina for xmas is gonna hurt this quarters results. Suprising apple is still subservient to samsung after everything so far.

Well, a lot of us did say long ago that the Retina iPad mini wouldn't be ready for primetime until 2014. I myself made that statement shortly after the original mini was released. Of course, that statement was made based on Apple's normal routine of release upgrades at the same price point. Apple increased the price and a 2013 release is looking a bit sketchy. Or at best with severely constrained supply.

That said, a Retina mini will be great once it's available. But it does seem Apple may have jumped the gun trying to hit the holiday buying season.
post #58 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Lol, pwn
post #59 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrul View Post

LOL. I seriously think Samsung and Apple will be stronger if they can get along.  All it will take is for Samsung to license Apple's IP the same way Microsoft did.  I think the same about Apple & Google too - Google software & services like Google Now are far more impressive than what Apple comes up with.
Problem is folks got greedy. Samsung and Google wanted a piece of the pie apple was bringing to the table instead of being content with their side dishes.

Samsung as supplier, google as services and apple as the device maker. Everyone would have been living high off the hog.

Instead there's a mobile industry war. And my opinion is Apple is gonna stomp everyone
post #60 of 101
There's no reason to trust anything said in this "report." As utsava is saying, the alternatives they're giving Apple for Sharp's supposed problems are absurd. If you look at their other stories on the linked page, you can see they're cheerleaders for Samsung, if not an outright disinformation conduit.

Edit: But I forgot about the story from Nikkei two weeks ago that said similar things about Sharp without the burn-in or IGZO details. So this Korean site has something to peg its story on after all. Whether any of it is true remains to be seen.
Edited by Flaneur - 11/8/13 at 7:20pm
post #61 of 101
Quote:

I believe you're talking about the first phase of IGZO development. There's a second phase with a different set of processes.

I forget the details. You have the visible means of support to do the research. Please get back to us with an update. Sharp and another Japanese research institution were involved in that one. Different patents, probably.
post #62 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Post of the thread

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #63 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I believe you're talking about the first phase of IGZO development. There's a second phase with a different set of processes.

I forget the details. You have the visible means of support to do the research. Please get back to us with an update. Sharp and another Japanese research institution were involved in that one. Different patents, probably.

Yeah, my" visible means of support to do the research" is me and a Google Search, same as everyone else. lol.gif

Perhaps the other institution you remember was the Toyko Institute of Technology? If so they were operating with funding from the same JST who licensed the IP to Samsung, Sharp, LG and reportedly several others over the past two years. There's an article here that should explain things pretty clearly:
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/economy/technology/AJ201306100079
post #64 of 101
There may or may not be display issues but... I believe Apple staggered the release of the iPad Air/Retina Mini because the mini cannibalized the iPad and Apple wanted the masses to assimilate the improvements with the Air before releasing the Retina mini in order to level the playing field between its two iPad SKUs.
post #65 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECats View Post

This rumour is completely out of touch with manufacturing knowledge, to the point that it is laughable.

"Oops a meddling percent of our displays suffer burn-in", is not the kind of problem that pops up at the 11th hour. Even if such an obvious problem was encountered it would have been apparent during development testing many many months ago.

Surely if it's a low percentage, it could potentially only show up at the 11th hour when production ramps up? The numbers produced for mass distribution are far greater than the numbers produced for testing - it's entirely possible that the dev devices just didn't suffer from this issue because it's fairly uncommon (5%? 2%? Whatever). This sort of thing isn't uncommon - Intel recently had to push back the launch of Broadwell by a quarter or so due to manufacturing defects that only became apparent once they started preparing for release.

As for the topic, good. When it comes to components, Apple should be sourcing the best they can regardless of who makes them - and that's what they seem to be doing. 

Ouch, that sounds nasty. Wonder what caused it - presumably a battery issue of some sort? 

post #66 of 101
Quote:

Yeah, my" visible means of support to do the research" is me and a Google Search, same as everyone else. lol.gif

Perhaps the other institution you remember was the Toyko Institute of Technology? If so they were operating with funding from the same JST who licensed the IP to Samsung, Sharp, LG and reportedly several others over the past two years. There's an article here that should explain things pretty clearly:
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/economy/technology/AJ201306100079

No, I was thinking of the Semiconductor Energy Laboratory, who with Sharp found themselves making a crystalline IGZO:

http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/120601.html

Someone else was saying here that this development put Sharp ahead of the rest of the manufacturers. I certainly don't know, but one can wonder if this is partly why both Apple and Samsung were investing in Sharp.
post #67 of 101
AOA1,

Did you just invent a new trolling category called segue troll?
post #68 of 101
Samsung does allot wrong but they know how to mass produce hardware. Too bad its such an unethical company and Apple may have to seek their help.
post #69 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hmm....why do I get the feeling this story is BS. But if it's not, I feel bad for your wife stuck with an S4. I have plenty of friends and family running iOS 7 on their iPhone 4S (and 4 even) just fine.

Dont feed the troll. MaestroD is full of BS.

post #70 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

No, I was thinking of the Semiconductor Energy Laboratory, who with Sharp found themselves making a crystalline IGZO:

http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/120601.html

Someone else was saying here that this development put Sharp ahead of the rest of the manufacturers. I certainly don't know, but one can wonder if this is partly why both Apple and Samsung were investing in Sharp.

Thanks for that! Hadn't come across that one yet, and more evidence of how seriously Sharp is attempting to monetize IGZO display tech.
post #71 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrul View Post

LOL. I seriously think Samsung and Apple will be stronger if they can get along.  All it will take is for Samsung to license Apple's IP the same way Microsoft did.  I think the same about Apple & Google too - Google software & services like Google Now are far more impressive than what Apple comes up with.

Are you saying that Microsoft is paying Apple $30/phone & $40/tablet to Apple?

post #72 of 101
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Are you saying that Microsoft is paying Apple $30/phone & $40/tablet to Apple?

Where'd he mention any amount? They are licensing, however.

post #73 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Yeah, "Daddy" has been responsible for a lot of Apple's success.

You're putting this out of context. You perfectly know what he meant so stop tracing back 30 years because it's not the point of this discussion.
post #74 of 101
This reminds me of that recent comment, I think from Foxconn.
Maybe they knew about this when they said they would not reduce their prices just to obtain an Apple contract.
Were they already gloating about Apple being famous for penny pinching but now shooting itself in the foot?

So they were simply far too keen for a Sharp cut price deal.
post #75 of 101
Quote:

Ummmm, several companies beat Apple to the personal computer market.  

< Utter uneducated internet-regurgitated drivel >

Your Kool-Aid is spiked by Cupertino.  Toss it down the sink and begin an immediate detox diet.  

God in Heaven.

Me and the fellas at my work were absolutely crying tears of laughter (but not rolling on the floor) at this response, so points to you for inventing the internet acronym ACTOLBNROTFL.

But what next?

A good laugh can heal the soul but where to begin in correcting such an obvious lack of education?

In the end, I decided this was probably the best response to your comments:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

I hope it’s not too complicated for you.

;) 

Apple Products: So good that their ‘faulty' products outsell competitor’s faultless ones...
Apple Products: So good that their ‘faulty' products outsell competitor’s faultless ones...
post #76 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

You're putting this out of context. You perfectly know what he meant so stop tracing back 30 years because it's not the point of this discussion.

You’re putting me to sleep.

Whatcha gonna do if I don’t stop?

You’re not going to go crying to your mum, are you?

:smokey:

post #77 of 101
@GTR, man you have a knack for this. We should have a fishing contest to see who can haul in the gnarliest bottom-feeders.
post #78 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Daddy, the innovative creator of the initial personal computer for the masses, the modern GUI, the mouse, numerous interface standards, the modern MP3 player, the current digital music industry, the best retail experiences in the world, not to mention the best customer service in the world, a company responsible for ALL of today's smartphones, cool, stylish computers for the masses, and the modern tablet industry.

Yeah, "Daddy" has been responsible for a lot of Apple's success.

By "Daddy" you are referring to Xerox as it developed GUI and mouse first?

post #79 of 101
Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

Nope. Did you read the sentence?

post #80 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

Well, you asked for it with that old chestnut.

Nokia and Blackberry came up with many "firsts" in mobile phones, and what happened?

They were surpassed by someone who developed a better interface for the masses.

Not to mention a better "ecosystem," which is a continuation of the idea behind the better interface–usability, thinking about the user.

Wake us up when you see another company doing that. It doesn't matter who invents a piece of the technology as much as who develops it for the masses. Apple was preceded by Ford, Volkswagen, Sony and a few others.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: Delayed Retina iPad mini launch blamed on LCD burn-in issues
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Delayed Retina iPad mini launch blamed on LCD burn-in issues