or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › The team behind Mac image editor Pixelmator plays David to Adobe's Goliath

The team behind Mac image editor Pixelmator plays David to Adobe's Goliath - Page 2

post #41 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordio View Post

I'm a huge fan of this app and the team behind it. It's my primarily tool for animation or drawing. I try to get people to switch from Adobe's offerings, but most people stick with to them like a religion.

Don't worry leasing by Adobe in time will peel people away, Adobe is a very greedy company like Autodesk who also running the same scam on its users. 

post #42 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

It's amazing there haven't been dozens of posts talking about "toy trucks and big rigs" and "real work". The Adobe shills must be less alert than the MS ones—or do they spring to life only when Flash is mentioned? Anyway, glad to see marketshare going to deserving people and away from Adobe, which I want to die a painful death. I've hated them since they absorbed and destroyed Aldus all those many years ago.

Freehand was great program that is sorely missed.

post #43 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Photoshop is primarily for manipulating bitmap images. Bitmap here meaning images comprised of specific pixels. A set size for the image, in pixels by pixels. 

Illustrator works with vector graphics, meaning instead of static pixels, the ‘points’ in the image are defined in direct relation to one another. Lines are then drawn between them actively, not passively. This basically means that you can double, triple, octuple the size of the entire image (by doubling, tripling, octupling the distance between the points) without losing quality, because the lines are redrawn automatically for the new size.

I make all my maps in Illustrator because, hey, vector maps. Nigh-infinite detail. If I need to make it bigger, I don’t need to redraw the whole darn thing; I just punch in 200% and boom, same quality.

Thanks. I thought Illustrator was a prosumer app versus PS.
post #44 of 101

bsenka talks elitist bull crap. Pixelmator is fine for professional work. It all depends on the needs your work may have. I dumped PS years ago for Pixelmator and I use it for work. Maybe bsenka dabbles in owning Adobe stock? ;P

post #45 of 101
I've been hoping that Apple would buy Pixelmator and merge it into Aperture to make a start to finish non-destructive editing workflow. Why not?
post #46 of 101

I think it would be cool to help Pixelmator design around or invalidate Adobe patents. Is anyone aware of Adobe patents that might cause Pixelmator problems?  If so post them.  I'll take a look. 

Everyone is always complaining about patents from individual inventors.  Personally I think some of the worst patents are owned by big companies like Adobe.  I think it would be fun to mess with Adobe.  We could do something like dig up prior art and then file a re-exam.  

post #47 of 101

Try Command-Shift-V.  ;)

post #48 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

It's amazing there haven't been dozens of posts talking about "toy trucks and big rigs" and "real work". The Adobe shills must be less alert than the MS ones—or do they spring to life only when Flash is mentioned?
Adobe has done to itself what the competition hasn't been able to do for years. They have pissed off their user base in a very significant way.
Quote:
Anyway, glad to see marketshare going to deserving people and away from Adobe, which I want to die a painful death. I've hated them since they absorbed and destroyed Aldus all those many years ago.

Well painful death no because most of Adobe isn't responsible for management decisions made. I'd rather see the management team overhauled. Frankly Adobe is extremely management heavy as it is. Think about the Pixelmator team and the number of people they likely have doing full time management there. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the brothers still write code on a daily basis.
post #49 of 101
Just bought a copy of Pixelmator tonight to replace PS.
post #50 of 101

Oops meant to reply to poster above.

post #51 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe View Post

Try Command-Shift-V.  ;)

Still cannot open AI or EPS files :(

post #52 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danox View Post

Don't be a Ass, affordable image editor program is what they meant.

Do you really want to get into a pissing contest where I'd call you a young amature punk who is inscure with himself so he must make others feel bad?

No, I don't really want to do that. So why don't we just call it a day and enjoy our life. What do you say?
post #53 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I think what they meant was they were looking for a 100%, dedicated Mac option, so they would get timely updates and such .... so unlike PS, which always serves the PC side first, sometimes an agonizingly, long time, first.
Going back to the start of the CS Suites, they released both platforms with feature parity at the same time. I do agree with the complaints people have about their licensing options right now but didn't like the old way where you had to wait 18 months to get new features either. I think that this is one way PM can set themselves apart - rapid development at a reasonable upgrade price.
post #54 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Check out iDraw. Owned by Indeeo, another small company. 

IDraw is seriously awesome. It is compatible with illustrator files, and very responsive. I wish iDraw would get a little more attention. The ios app is hands down my favorite vector drawing app on ipad. The one thing I'm waiting for them to add, which they said they plan on adding is pressure sensitive vector brushes.
post #55 of 101
Lets just hope Adobe never buys them out. What those bastards did to Macromedia, they could do again.
post #56 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

I think it would be cool to help Pixelmator design around or invalidate Adobe patents. Is anyone aware of Adobe patents that might cause Pixelmator problems?  If so post them.  I'll take a look. 

Everyone is always complaining about patents from individual inventors.  Personally I think some of the worst patents are owned by big companies like Adobe.  I think it would be fun to mess with Adobe.  We could do something like dig up prior art and then file a re-exam.  

Tabbed pallets was the one they kept irritating macromedia with I believe.

post #57 of 101
Apple should buy Pixelmator and add it to the iWork suite. Why not?
post #58 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by trex67 View Post

Apple should buy Pixelmator and add it to the iWork suite. Why not?

That would be terrible for the end user. What Pixelmator has going for it, both in the public perception and in reality, is that it is the full priority of the company who own and work on it.
post #59 of 101
Two brothers started Photoshop too.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #60 of 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Think about the Pixelmator team and the number of people they likely have doing full time management there. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the brothers still write code on a daily basis.

Its linkedin suggests under 10 people. I'm not terribly big on the app. It succeeds by being inexpensive and using established libraries where possible, as it only has to run on OSX. There are so many things that could be done to improve these applications, yet they all just follow the photoshop mantra in terms of tool design.

post #61 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extensor View Post

Pixelmator is fine for professional work. It all depends on the needs your work may have. I dumped PS years ago for Pixelmator and I use it for work.

Some people need to work with 16 bit images at least part of the time, so it's a moot point how good Pixelmator is. They stil need something that does. Many keep pestering the developers about this and they've always been a bit evasive. The latest is that they made a cryptic statement about this and the arrival of the new Mac Pros, so if that becomes a reality there will REALLY be some dropping of PS for it.
post #62 of 101

Cool offices! The built in App Store does indeed enable indie devs, but also the rocket sciencey libraries bundled with the system. Two things that decrease the barrier to entry.

post #63 of 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Some people need to work with 16 bit images at least part of the time, so it's a moot point how good Pixelmator is. They stil need something that does. Many keep pestering the developers about this and they've always been a bit evasive. The latest is that they made a cryptic statement about this and the arrival of the new Mac Pros, so if that becomes a reality there will REALLY be some dropping of PS for it.

Blah. That's because the Adobe shills convinced you that allocating 16 bits of data to a very limited number of stops was a good idea. The very best digital cameras can actually make use of 14-16 bits, but they use it to store quite a few stops, not the compressed range of a processed file.

post #64 of 101

Yeah, it is an excellent application .. only one suggestion .. lose the floating windows in the next major release.

post #65 of 101
Yeah, agree with feynman here, if they can eventually bring out a rival to Illustrator too, that'd make some serious competition to Adobe%u2019s dominance (I'm trying to hold back from upgrading to the Creative Cloud as long as I can).
post #66 of 101

If the guys at Pixelmator could motivate Andrew Stone of Stone Design to bring Create.app up to speed with the latest in Vector Graphics you'd have your Illustrator replacement.

post #67 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymcha View Post

Yeah, it is an excellent application .. only one suggestion .. lose the floating windows in the next major release.

You made this comment on their blog. Keep the option. The Photoshop All-in-One is obnoxious. Stored state floating windows that NeXTSTEP had were far superior. Then again NeXTSTEP for its time had me more productive than OS X.

Making it an option should satisfy both worlds.

post #68 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

I've been hoping that Apple would buy Pixelmator and merge it into Aperture to make a start to finish non-destructive editing workflow. Why not?

Gawd, no.

post #69 of 101

I've been using Pixelmator for a few years now, it covers 99.9% of what I do i.e. quick touch up and resize before uploading to the web.

As far as the floating windows go one of my desktops has a plain background and I find it works quite well there, especially since I upgraded to a 15" retina.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #70 of 101
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer

Gawd, no.
Why not?
post #71 of 101

I use Pixelmator to open EPS. I have not tried AI yet.

post #72 of 101

I work professionally with Pixelmator. It does not have all Photoshop tools, true, but that does not mean you cannot use it as a pro. I just finished a movie poster using just Pixelmator for the first time. I liked Adobe, but I refuse to shovel my money into their purses for an eternity. And because of this, I have discovered Pixelmator, Sketch, iDraw, Intensify. Aperture-Pixelmator-Intensify is wonderful if you are a photographer! If you have never seen Intensify, look at it! It is not cheap, but once you have tried it, you will never leave it!

post #73 of 101

Yes, rob53, you are right! I totally agree with you!

post #74 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I remember my first copy of Photoshop. What a great program! I ran it on my Mac II with only 8 Mb of RAM. I got it free with a scanner I had bought. Back then I also bought Freehand, another great vector draw ing program. Loved it. Gone now... assimilated into Adobe, never to be seen again.
I ran Photoshop 2.5 on my Mac Classic with 2.5Mb of RAM! 1smile.gif

Smaller is better. And that's not what she said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe View Post

I'm sure you have a point ¡
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #75 of 101
New to Mac and Aperture - Where does Pixelmator fit into the workflow with Aperture?
post #76 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Cool offices!

Check out their website

post #77 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe-jiller View Post

New to Mac and Aperture - Where does Pixelmator fit into the workflow with Aperture?

Aperture has a few enhancement tools, purely made for photography. Pixelmator is designed for artwork, including photography. To enjoy both tools, use both software packages. There is an overlap, but also distinct feature set.
post #78 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacMan View Post

"Pixelmator was born in 2007 when brothers Saulius and Aidas Dailide went searching for an OS X-native image editor and came up empty handed."

What does that mean? PS was born decades ago. Am I missing something?

It is quite possible they meant something designed for the Mac as the primary platform? We would have to ask them to clarify.

On top of all that, PixelMator has the advantage that it is affordable, without the need of a business budget. The only thing I don't know is whether photographers would consider the feature set good enough to compete with Photoshop or Photoshop Elements? I would be interested in finding out.
Edited by ajmas - 11/10/13 at 5:51am
post #79 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe-jiller View Post

I use Aperture for first treatment of my photos, then Pixelmator and or Intensify for something extra!
post #80 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFaced View Post

Thanks. I thought Illustrator was a prosumer app versus PS.

Tallest Skil is correct.  However, the important thing to know is that the more complex the drawing the more appropriate a bit map is.  If you are creating a logo, which generally is made of simple geometric shapes, you should create it using vector software (iDraw or illustrator).  If you want to edit a face or a natural landscape (very complex), you take a picture (bit map) and modify the pixels using Pixelmator.  Vector drawings are better at scaling but bit maps are easy to create because you can just take a picture.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › The team behind Mac image editor Pixelmator plays David to Adobe's Goliath