or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft Surface ad fails to Excel at math, according to Apple's Numbers

Microsoft Surface ad fails to Excel at math, according to Apple's Numbers - Page 4

post #121 of 224
I have just one question. Are IDC and Strategy Analytics using Excel to come up with their results?

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

post #122 of 224
Press enter before taking a screen shot next time ....
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #123 of 224
Microsoft's impeccable attention to detail is why they are the #1 maker of tablets on the planet.
post #124 of 224
Looks like a stupid human error to me, rather than an Excel bug.

Set up the same column of numbers with 0 for car expenses--it will correctly sum to 9000. Then select the car expenses cell and type in 500--the spreadsheet will appear as shown (with the sum = 9000) until you accept the change.

I'll none-the-less agree that this exemplifies the seeming inability of MS management to do much of anything right these days.
post #125 of 224
To err is human, to really stuff up requires a MS Product, to REALLY stuff up BIG TIME, requires posting it on public arenas
post #126 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Um... what do you think? :rolleyes:

From my original response:

Again, I doubt that is an actual error on the Mac's or iWork's part...

However, after that people were pointing out articles that Numbers actually does botch numbers and nobody disputed those claims, and some Apple fans called the numbers mistakes 'nitpicking' which really it isn't if the mistakes were real.

DED later confirmed that the errors in his charts were indeed some type of 'typo' on his part and he fixed them.

Then again, if Numbers is so difficult to use that even DED has trouble making charts from 7 line items of data.............

post #127 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Windle View Post

To err is human, to really stuff up requires a MS Product, to REALLY stuff up BIG TIME, requires posting it on public arenas

To really, really stuff up big time, requires posting about someone elses mistake on a public arena while making similar mistakes of your own, as DED did.

post #128 of 224
The $500 is still in an actively editing cell,and therefore is not showing in the total. I learnt that back when I had a IIe. Surprised people making fun of this, just to show their own infamilarity with the program.
post #129 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Think about it for a moment.

Just how desperate is MS, that they've resorted to *advertising* Excel?

Office is entrenched. Has been for years. I can't remember the last time I've seen any of it marketed so openly like this.

We're talking about the so-called lowly iWork, something that MS recently dismissed. And now they're trying to promote their spreadsheet software over Apple's? LMAO

Office software is MS' last bastion. They can't do hardware right (or profitably.) They've already screwed their OEM partners. And now they feel their core biz being threatened by Apple's little Office suite.

Huh? They're showing that the Surface can run Excel, in an attempt to promote the tablet. The ads don't have anything to do with iWork - the author's attempt to draw that conclusion is inaccurate. I'm sure many here like iWork, but it will never gain any traffic with Fortune 500 companies (not that Apple cares, in all likelihood), unless Apple makes a PC-compatible version.
post #130 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

From my original response:

Again, I doubt that is an actual error on the Mac's or iWork's part...

However, after that people were pointing out articles that Numbers actually does botch numbers and nobody disputed those claims, and some Apple fans called the numbers mistakes 'nitpicking' which really it isn't if the mistakes were real.

DED later confirmed that the errors in his charts were indeed some type of 'typo' on his part and he fixed them.

Then again, if Numbers is so difficult to use that even DED has trouble making charts from 7 line items of data.............

Give up. Your post is not just nitpicky, but it's past pointlessness.

Get a sense of humor.

Edited by anantksundaram - 11/10/13 at 1:02pm
post #131 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

Microsoft Word and Excel. Hmmmm. I remember those. Aren't they from the 1960's?

No, I think you are thinking of WordStar and Visicalc.

You may have missed davesmall's point

post #132 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Too funny 1biggrin.gif

Before long...

Shawed == Ballmered == Sinofskyed == Borked

.... all of which are fairly benign, of course, compared to getting Ballsilled.... :lol: 

post #133 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

To really, really stuff up big time, requires posting about someone elses mistake on a public arena while making similar mistakes of your own, as DED did.

I love this unspoken arbitrary rule that says only perfect people can point out others' imperfections. There's no such rule.

The responsible parties for this ad don't get a free pass just because you've impugned DED's character. 

Take DED out of the equation, and you're still left with an error on a screenshot of Microsoft Excel.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #134 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I love this unspoken arbitrary rule that says only perfect people can point out others' imperfections. There's no such rule.

The responsible parties for this ad don't get a free pass just because you've impugned DED's character. 

Take DED out of the equation, and you're still left with an error on a screenshot of Microsoft Excel.

Add DED back into the equation and you've got some hilarious irony though, lol.  That really was the only thing that made this article worthwhile.  I don't care how much one hates Microsoft, a minor error like that in an advertising mockup is nothing new or newsworthy.

post #135 of 224
Quote:

Quote:

Add DED back into the equation and you've got some hilarious irony though, lol.  That really was the only thing that made this article worthwhile.  I don't care how much one hates Microsoft, a minor error like that in an advertising mockup is nothing new or newsworthy.

Glad you're enjoying the 'hilarious irony.' 

I really don't think it matters a whole heck of a lot to most people here. 

post #136 of 224
Quote:

Of that I have no doubt.

I also enjoy the irony of people who nitpick at someone making a spelling mistake while making speling mistakes of their own.  Anyone who would take either spelling mistake as something serious and not just sit back and enjoy the irony could use a heaping helping of lighten the f*&% up.  :D

post #137 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluga View Post

From my experience you can't do serious work on google spreadsheet nor on numbers. For light users it's probably the same or even better than excel but if you want to do more you have to go with excel.

That's a big part of why MS can sell its suite where the others have to give it out for free.

I wish apple adds functionality and features and I am sure they will. You cannot not have pivot tables for example.

Microsoft is giving away Office for free because this phantom of "serious work" doesn't exist for most people. Sure Microsoft might have enterprise under the thumb, but that weight is shrinking daily as more users realize you don't need expensive and bloated Word, or Excel for the functions most people use.

If Office was such a grand commodity, bet your ass Microsoft would not be giving it away.

Don't be like the obtuse masses that said the iPad would be a flop because you can't do "serious work" on it. Realize computing 2013 has evolved dramatically over computing 2007, and Office just isn't regarded as necessary anymore with the exception being a very small minority.

post #138 of 224

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Microsoft is giving away Office for free because this phantom of "serious work" doesn't exist for most people.  Sure Microsoft might have enterprise under the thumb, but that weight is shrinking daily as more users realize you don't need expensive and bloated Word, or Excel for the functions most people use.

If Office was such a grand commodity, bet your ass Microsoft would not be giving it away.

I would like a free copy of Office.  Care to point me to where I can legally obtain one?

post #139 of 224

Since Office 2011 I've noticed that Excel is less smart about updating the ranges of formulas automatically as I add and delete rows. So using the screen shot shown here, I can imagine setting up the total cell with all but the last two budget items, then adding two more budget items and the range for the total doesn't expand automatically to include them. That might explain the $500 error.

Whenever I build an estimate for a client I double-check all the subtotal and total formulas before sending to make sure they still use the correct ranges. If I don't adjust them, my totals are lower than they should be, which would require an embarrassing exchange with a potential client ... "oh, sorry, my price is actually higher than what I sent you." I never had that problem in earlier versions of Excel.

post #140 of 224
Quote:

Quote:

Of that I have no doubt.

I also enjoy the irony of people who nitpick at someone making a spelling mistake while making speling mistakes of their own.  Anyone who would take either spelling mistake as something serious and not just sit back and enjoy the irony could use a heaping helping of lighten the f*&% up.  1biggrin.gif

Not sure who here gets bent out of shape about spelling mistakes, unless it happens to be in the headline of a story.

That said, even you'd agree that a spelling mistake in an ad is likely to reflect poorly on the company, no?
post #141 of 224
excel doesn't calculate the sum until you press enter. the total sum is short by $500, so it's no coincidence the cell being edited is... $500
post #142 of 224
Maybe they have autocalc turned off?
post #143 of 224
Stupid article. They have changed the car expenses from $0 to $500 but haven't clicked off the field so it hasn't updated.
post #144 of 224
Well, a map service that drive you to nowhere is worth a headline.
A program that remove features leaving a thousands of users without advanced tools is worth a headline.
A typo in the artwork of a billboard, well, at least could show who is a real journalist and who is an a$ $ hole.

I just sing up a office 365 account and fill the cells with the data and the excel sum properly, so this is a case of an artwork error.

Due the sheer size of the billboard, the excel worksheet is a vector artwork rather that an actual screenshot of excel, because the resolution would be too low to render well without heavy pixilation. So the guy that create the artwork need a better calculator app in his iPhone.
post #145 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMoebius View Post

I am as big an Apple fan as anyone, but there may be a simple explanation for the $500 discrepancy in the total.

I noticed in the ad the cell with 500 is still highlighted. If this means that the user entered the 500 without committing the change (hitting enter), the value would not have been counted in the total. I couldn't see if there was an active cursor in the field, but if there was, that would be the clincher. If there wasn't, it could just mean that the software that made the screen shot did not include the cursor in it.

Sorry to put a damper on the Microsoft bashing. They do a good enough job with their comical attempts at copying Apple.

I thought the same, but if that was the case there would be a 500 in the formula entry bar thingy (what ever it is called)
post #146 of 224
What about the box around around the $500 figure budgeted for car? It looks like one of the marketing people probably had one figure in there, and decided to change it, so went ahead and entered $500, but never pressed enter. Therefore the calculation had yet to be made (hence the box around the $500 figure). They took a screen shot of it like that without realizing enter hadn't been pressed to update the total. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
post #147 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiotics View Post

excel doesn't calculate the sum until you press enter. the total sum is short by $500, so it's no coincidence the cell being edited is... $500

DED was just having fun at Microsoft's expense. I don't think he is claiming at Excel has a serious math bug. Microsoft's ad agency has been making rather embarrassing ads for a while now, including the "fly on the wall in Cupertino" YouTube video and the breakdancing surface ads. This gaff is minor compared to the others.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #148 of 224
Quote:

I don't think he is claiming at Excel has a serious math bug.

It's pretty easy to go back and see multiple times where DED says that Excel has a serious math problem and that Numbers doesn't share this problem.

post #149 of 224
Originally Posted by semiotics View Post
Originally Posted by jayconnor View Post
Stupid article. They have changed the car expenses from $0 to $500 but haven't clicked off the field so it hasn't updated.
Originally Posted by beemmeupnow View Post
What about the box around around the $500 figure budgeted for car? It looks like one of the marketing people probably had one figure in there, and decided to change it, so went ahead and entered $500, but never pressed enter. Therefore the calculation had yet to be made (hence the box around the $500 figure). They took a screen shot of it like that without realizing enter hadn't been pressed to update the total. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You know, Microsoft, instead of paying these people to do damage control, you could have just fixed the actual problem.

post #150 of 224
Quote:

I would like a free copy of Office.  Care to point me to where I can legally obtain one?

http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/529223/office_nz_students_when_schools_buy_staff_licences_microsoft/

Or you can purchase a surface, it comes free there as well
post #151 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You know, Microsoft, instead of paying these people to do damage control, you could have just fixed the actual problem.

These paid shills are really stupid, as well. How many times does it have to be pointed out that the expense has already been incorporated in the pie chart? So this "hasn't yet pressed 'enter'" excuse won't wash.

No, nobody thinks Excel can't add seven numbers*—that's not the point. It's the incompetence and tone-deafness of Microsoft, which paying you one-post wonders to bitch about this post shows up to perfection.

*Although, Intel did etch a math error into silicon once, so who the hell knows?
post #152 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

http://www.computerworld.co.nz/article/529223/office_nz_students_when_schools_buy_staff_licences_microsoft/

Or you can purchase a surface, it comes free there as well

Your link requires someone to purchase licences, hence it's not free.

Your second suggestion requires purchasing a Surface.  Once again, that's not free.

You're welcome to keep trying, but it's silly to suggest that MS is giving away Office for free.

post #153 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

Hold on a second, you mean sometimes the things displayed in adverts are a mockup / edited image of the actual product? I had no idea.

Edit: I notice DED hasn't even bothered to check if the issue affects actual copies of Excel and seems to have treated the billboard as a functioning copy. 

It was a slow day in DED's office. He got bored playing with Garage Band, and there was nothing else to do... 1wink.gif
post #154 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

It looks like a mockup to me, because the cell is highlighted and contains a number, but the content bar is empty, which it wouldn't be - at least if it works like the desktop version. Why do they even do that, when it is so easy to use the real thing?

Marketing department doesn't know how to use Excel, maybe..?
post #155 of 224
Edward Tufte / Stephen Few.

Who are these people?

post #156 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And, unlike their disgusting and pathetic YouTube videos which Microsoft takes down seconds after failure (the “fly on the wall” series, the one where the Xbox One was caught displaying the Playstation 4 version of a game, etc.), this will stay up and wrong.

Hi, one post. Shut up and go away. We don’t like lies here, hence this article about an ad that lies.

Not when the feature is broken.

Has Apple ever gotten arithmetic wrong on their ads?

Crashing, getting viruses, overheating…

This is the standard Anti-Apple Brigade excuse for not even trying to be perfect.

So you go bankrupt because it lets you overspend. Are you really suggesting a program who’s SOLE PURPOSE IT IS TO DO CALCULATIONS is usable if the calculations are off?

Well, given that Numbers DOESN’T GET WRONG SIMPLE ARITHMETIC, yes.

So the software’s SELF-RUNNING ALGORITHMS FOR COMPUTING THE VALUES OF CELLS IN THE TABLE “made a typo”, did it? 

Do you honestly expect us to accept your pathetic premise that someone is just using Excel to have all his numbers lined up in a row, pretty, and has done the calculations by hand on paper elsewhere?!

It looks like you are not admin here any more, so I guess you can now be as obnoxious and unpolite as you wish to be.

Out of curiosity - have you tried to reproduce and confirm this "error", or you are still taking DED's articles by default as an ultimate truth?

A bit disappointing, really.
post #157 of 224
Quote:

Nice. Microsoft's payees are out in full force today. Good morning, guys/gals. More clicks for AI! 1smile.gif

Just so you -- and the other 'surf-rental' nitpickers -- know, DED does not work for Apple's advertising agency. And, Apple did not approve this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

There sure are a lot of people with absolutely no sense of humor or irony jumping to Microsoft's defense on this one. So you signed up just to make public that you don't get it at all?

It must be true, because you said it.
post #158 of 224
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post
Out of curiosity - have you tried to reproduce and confirm this "error", or you are still taking DED's articles by default as an ultimate truth?

What does anything in your post have to do with the post you quoted?

post #159 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
I'm sure many here like iWork, but it will never gain any traffic with Fortune 500 companies (not that Apple cares, in all likelihood), unless Apple makes a PC-compatible version.

According to Citrix, Apple’s Numbers is the fourth most popular mobile app among its enterprise users. Office isn’t in the list, in part because nobody uses Windows for mobile devices, and in part because Microsoft doesn’t offer Office for iOS, by far the most popular mobile OS among Fortune 500 companies. 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/28/citrix-details-apples-ios-iwork-lead-in-enterprise-adoption

post #160 of 224
It's funny that he says making a tablet that helps people kill time is relatively easy, yet he can't do it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft Surface ad fails to Excel at math, according to Apple's Numbers