or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft Surface ad fails to Excel at math, according to Apple's Numbers

Microsoft Surface ad fails to Excel at math, according to Apple's Numbers - Page 5

post #161 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Microsoft doesn’t offer Office for iOS

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/office-mobile-for-office-365/id541164041

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
post #162 of 224
The numbers are wrong, not because Surface was buggy or Excel was buggy. Because the data model that was created for the calculation was wrong. May be some Apple insider inside Microsoft campus.
post #163 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Your link requires someone to purchase licences, hence it's not free.

Your second suggestion requires purchasing a Surface.  Once again, that's not free.

You're welcome to keep trying, but it's silly to suggest that MS is giving away Office for free.

No more than the people claiming Apple is giving away iWorks for free, or the people who think that OS X is free
post #164 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by goacbill View Post

The $500 is still in an actively editing cell,and therefore is not showing in the total. I learnt that back when I had a IIe. Surprised people making fun of this, just to show their own infamilarity with the program.

"Back when I had a lie?" LOL, you still have a lie my friend in your comment. If the $500 is still in an active editing cell, the value 500 would show in the function bar at the top of the screen but it doesn't. Obviously you are still an Excel noob.

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

“What would I do? I’d shut Apple down and give the money back to the shareholders”

Michael Dell - 1997

post #165 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiotics View Post

excel doesn't calculate the sum until you press enter. the total sum is short by $500, so it's no coincidence the cell being edited is... $500

How many times do people need to be told that if it was a cell being edited and waiting for the user to hit enter, the value 500 would show in the function bar at the top of the screen. All the people here defending this advertising mistake don't even seem to know how Excel works.

Michael Dell - 1997

Michael Dell - 1997

post #166 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayconnor View Post

Stupid article. They have changed the car expenses from $0 to $500 but haven't clicked off the field so it hasn't updated.

wrong

Michael Dell - 1997

Michael Dell - 1997

post #167 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

No more than the people claiming Apple is giving away iWorks for free, or the people who think that OS X is free

This is true. The iWorks app is free only with a new iOS device purchase. But the iCloud web apps are free.

Michael Dell - 1997

Michael Dell - 1997

post #168 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Microsoft didn't put up billboards displaying any bugs, the advertising agency they employed made an error.  While that is amusing, Apple releasing competing software that actually does have serious basic bugs isn't amusing.

The adage - 'people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones' - seems applicable.

Windows ME, Vista, Windows 8

Michael Dell - 1997

Michael Dell - 1997

post #169 of 224

Responding to KennMSr:

All of them were in error.  I haven't looked to see if the author corrected them.

My concern was that if the Numbers application generated the chart from the spreadsheet, it should have automatically picked up the names of the rows and applied them to the chart.  I am pretty sure that is the way Excel works.  That he could get parts of the chart not to agree with the spreadsheet suggests that Numbers does not generate the pie chart from the spreadsheet.  

post #170 of 224
Or it could simply be that the user in the add has typed in the 500 in the highlighted cell and not pressed the Enter key yet. It's not there and not included in the sum until you press Enter. In Excel or Numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Excel as much as anyone, but just try this at home.
post #171 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

wrong

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4831681/right.xlsx

Try it with Excel 2013, you need to press enter or click elsewhere after entering the value. I didn't make a pretty graph, just used autosum.

post #172 of 224
Actually, if you look closely, the $500 for the CAR was just entered, so it hasn't calculated that amount into the total, yet. As soon as ENTER is pressed or the focus is moved it will recalculate to $9,500, correctly.

Way to jump the gun and come up with a non story!
post #173 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCFlier View Post

Or it could simply be that the user in the add has typed in the 500 in the highlighted cell and not pressed the Enter key yet. It's not there and not included in the sum until you press Enter. In Excel or Numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Excel as much as anyone, but just try this at home.

Actually, in Excel, if the number has been typed into the cell, but the return or enter key has not been pressed, the number is aligned with the left side of the cell.  It only moves to the right side of the cell, as on this billboard illustration, after the return or enter key has been pressed (in which case the cell below the entry is then selected).  Thus, with the cell containing the 500 selected and the 500 aligned with the right side of the cell, the possibilities are: (1) the author just entered the number immediately above the 500 and had pressed enter or return; and (2) the 500 had previously been entered and the author randomly selected that cell.  In either case, the application should have done the arithmetic if the sum function were entered in the total cell and all of the cells above were selected to be summed.  Or course, the formula in the total cell might be something other than the sum function with all th proper cells selected for totaling.  More likely, the spreadsheet was designed by an artist who had no idea how to use the sum function and instead did the arithmetic manually and then typed it into the total cell.  

post #174 of 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFlash View Post

Actually, in Excel, if the number has been typed into the cell, but the return or enter key has not been pressed, the number is aligned with the left side of the cell. 

This only happens the first time. Once data is in there it stays on the right, so it was 0 then they typed 500 but haven't pressed enter.

post #175 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I would like a free copy of Office.  Care to point me to where I can legally obtain one?

As someone mentioned the Office web is a free one.

post #176 of 224
I think the superficial problem with the ad (no pun intended) is that some minor league ad agency just got caught dummying up a screen shot instead of using the real one. This happens all the time; those guys always think that a faked out screen shot is somehow "better" than the real one.

[Along similar lines, someone else recently got caught faking a steadycam feature in a cell phone but were outed because a momentary reflection in a window revealed that the video was actually being shot by a high-end camcorder and not the cell phone being advertised!]

However, the ad reveals a far more disturbing problem: Microsoft profoundly misunderstands what the "post-PC" era is all about. This ad inadvertently says so.

Here's why (as DED would say).

Let's suppose the ad agency had dummyed up the screen shot correctly and Daniel would have had to write something else this weekend. In that case, the ad would just be trying to say that the Surface was superior to other (unnamed) tablets since it can run Excel!!

You see, the fantasyland that Microsoft is living in says that tablets should be used to do the same jobs as desktops and laptops. Therefore, the most demanding task for a tablet is to....run Microsoft Office! That's the ultimate! Since Surface can run Excel but iPad can't, then that means that Surface must be the best!

I have the topic sentence for that hypothetical DED weekend essay: The Surface is the only tablet on the market that is *not* a post-PC device! it is a PC-device that has a tablet form factor!

That's where Microsoft's thinking is, why they lost so many millions on the Surface, and why Ballmer was shown the door.
post #177 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayconnor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFlash View Post

Actually, in Excel, if the number has been typed into the cell, but the return or enter key has not been pressed, the number is aligned with the left side of the cell. 

This only happens the first time. Once data is in there it stays on the right, so it was 0 then they typed 500 but haven't pressed enter.

Except that, as has been pointed out countless times, (1) if it had been entered but not confirmed the cell content bar would also contain the number "500" and (2) it would not already be in the pie chart, which it is.

I don't think I've ever seen so many new accounts sign up just to post incorrect rebuttals.  And it's not even an article about Samsung.

It's a simple advertising agency mistake, and MS should have caught it before it was released. That's really all there is to say about it.

Edited by muppetry - 11/10/13 at 7:27pm
post #178 of 224

Ok ok I'm wrong, I didn't really study the chart. I guess it's just been pasted over new excel window for whatever reason and they redid the sums - that's all that makes sense.

Thanks.

post #179 of 224

Yeah, you are right, and that is more like 'productivity' and ads should show unique/special features rather than plus minus.

post #180 of 224
Love this article. Funny and informative.
post #181 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

This is true. The iWorks app is free only with a new iOS device purchase. But the iCloud web apps are free.

iCloud beta, who knows what they will do when it has been released. Also, you have to purchase an Apple device to get an iCloud account, so again, not free.
post #182 of 224
Oh wow. How the neck beards get lathered up over an ad. Next you'll be claiming prada models aren't actually that skinny.

The only thing I found amusing was DEDs glass houses moment which had since been corrected.
post #183 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You may have missed davesmall's point

And you may have missed mine.

post #184 of 224
I'm a die hard Apple fan but could it be that the highlighted CELL in Excel is waiting for a return before it adds the total to the Sum? Though if it were me i would have pressed return THEN captured the screen grab lol.
post #185 of 224
All these new posters saying you need to press Enter first, showing they do not excel in Excel. People, before posting, please read the thread, start to finish, before showing everyone that your post count equals your IQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teral View Post

So the guy that create the artwork need a better calculator app in his iPhone.

If he's working on a billboard wouldn't he be using a computer, and do his calculations on there, instead of his 'iPhone'?
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #186 of 224

An increasing number of AppleInsider articles are more of the AppleCompetitorGotcha variety.  Microsoft's ad agency putting out a badly assembled mock-up may be passingly funny, but the length of the articles are absurd for content that could easily be expressed in a tweet.

censored

censored

post #187 of 224
ThIs just goes to show you the fu**** up psyche of MS' management.
How many of you get that high when you open up Numbers and are able to make a spread sheet within seconds?
Screw MS.
post #188 of 224
Quote:
Excel might fail to add numbers in an ad. But Apples Numbers 3 fails to add numbers in reality on your computer and your iPad (both versions have the same bug). Details and an example file are in this blog article: http://www.gerdcastan.de/en/content/numbers-3-cell-bug I love Microsoft bashing, too (for other reasons than Excel). But in this case... Gerd
This bug only affects the German version of the very recently released Numbers 3. It revolves around weekdays, not math. I'm sure Apple will resolve it promptly.
post #189 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhitalks View Post

This article is in bad taste. DED, are you undergoing a writer's block that you have to resort to such a twisted and distorted article?

It's hilarious you don't see the irony in accusing someone of "bad taste" in criticizing Microsoft - a company synonymous with bad taste (both in product design and marketing tactics).

post #190 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

It would be if you were a travel agent preparing a budget for your client.

The bigger question I have is, why are they advertising it as "not just a laptop" when it looks just like a laptop, and shows none of the reasons it's not. Shouldn't the ad read, "it's not just a tablet"?

The problem is that the Surface is not a very good tablet. The operating system and applications are not truly optimized for touch screen use, and the 16:9 aspect ratio makes it virtually useless in portrait mode. The Surface is basically a netbook with a touch screen tacked on.

post #191 of 224
Ah, this is what happens when you get Marketing people to do an advert without running it by anyone slightly technical. Clearly the Marketing person has never heard of the SUM() function, or even of plain old addition.

This article shows more useful things though - the colour keys in Numbers are far larger and useful than the tiny dots in Excel. The pie chart looks prettier (although I guess Excel has pretty chart options too, surely).

Still, it's a noddy spreadsheet example. A real-world Numbers equivalent would have multiple spreadsheets on the same sheet, breaking down each of the entries on the main sheet into the sub-costs (e.g., a list of specific excursions).
post #192 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Who are these people?

Check this out:
http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/
http://perceptualedge.com
post #193 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Ah, this is what happens when you get Marketing people to do an advert without running it by anyone slightly technical. Clearly the Marketing person has never heard of the SUM() function, or even of plain old addition.

This article shows more useful things though - the colour keys in Numbers are far larger and useful than the tiny dots in Excel. The pie chart looks prettier (although I guess Excel has pretty chart options too, surely).

Still, it's a noddy spreadsheet example. A real-world Numbers equivalent would have multiple spreadsheets on the same sheet, breaking down each of the entries on the main sheet into the sub-costs (e.g., a list of specific excursions).

I'm sorry but there is nothing pretty about a pie chard, especially when you're comparing more than 2-3 things.
post #194 of 224
Productivity isn't fun, this is real software and it's for work. Work is not fun, so Excel now does math wrong to make sure your day sucks as much as possible. Anybody can have fun, it takes real work to make something painful to use!
post #195 of 224
"The Numbers example did a great job of adding the column of numbers, but what's with the chart? It is quite lovely, all 3D and all. However, it has TWO slices labeled "Car" and NO slices labeled "Surf Rentals". Does Numbers have trouble with transposition of the content of a spreadsheet to a chart?" Did that get fixed by the poster, because I don't see it.
post #196 of 224

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but you can clearly see the green square around the cell meaning they just entered that figure and have not hit enter yet. Since they haven't hit enter Excel cannot computer that into the Total. 

It isn't wrong, they just did the screenshot "too early"

post #197 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You want hardware charges to be attached to software charges or do you want apple to cater to people who pirate stuff too??
neither of them are sane.
post #198 of 224
Wow, this is the kind of news Apple people get excited about? Important find, indeed.
post #199 of 224
Wait, so is this an Excel math problem or an advertising agency Photoshop fail problem? Did anyone actually test a real Surface?
post #200 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceldavies View Post

Hmmm... Doesn't Excel recalculate when you finish editing a cell? And isn't the cell containing $500 highlighted for editing (& might it not have contained $0 prior to editing)? Poor art direction, but nothing wrong with the operation of the spreadsheet. But don't let that spoil your fun!

Exactly...   possibly poor choice by the ad agency, but it does look like an edit in process.  Just hit ENTER.

AppleInsider has been on a downward spiral for a while.  All these "Editorial" term papers have become a joke.   I wish he would hurry up and finish his degree.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft Surface ad fails to Excel at math, according to Apple's Numbers