or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft Surface ad fails to Excel at math, according to Apple's Numbers

Microsoft Surface ad fails to Excel at math, according to Apple's Numbers - Page 6

post #201 of 224

Someone not very creative when padding their expense account, eh?

LMAO

post #202 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

The problem is that the Surface is not a very good tablet. The operating system and applications are not truly optimized for touch screen use, and the 16:9 aspect ratio makes it virtually useless in portrait mode. The Surface is basically a netbook with a touch screen tacked on.

Nah it's an awesome tablet. I bought the Pro 2 thinking I probably wouldn't use it in tablet mode that much, but I haven't really used my iPad since. Simple reason is it's browser is faster. It is heavier but turns out that doesn't really matter that much.

Also why do people go on about the 16:9 aspect ratio so much. Apart from the kindle app, every iPad app I have either doesn't work in portrait mode or does something stupid like completely hide article listings. I've yet to see a game that works in Portrait mode.

post #203 of 224
Excellent !

Actually, I'm a hard core Excel user on Mac, but this is too funny. Eat it, Frank!
post #204 of 224
Well... Let me think...

Maybe someone is holding it wrong ?? Seems like a rational assumption to me...
post #205 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerdC View Post

Excel might fail to add numbers in an ad.

But Apples Numbers 3 fails to add numbers in reality on your computer and your iPad (both versions have the same bug).

Details and an example file are in this blog article: http://www.gerdcastan.de/en/content/numbers-3-cell-bug

I love Microsoft bashing, too (for other reasons than Excel). But in this case...

Gerd

I now can reproduce this Numbers bug in english, too. By its nature, I'm pretty sure I can reproduce it in any language.

Gerd

post #206 of 224
Before disparaging Excel, wouldn't you make sure Numbers actually works? Add up the percentage in the pie graph, where has the missing percentage sign gone? Numbers fail. At least Excel could be explained by user error, Numbers clearly doesn't work.
post #207 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAinc View Post

It's clear most of you don't use Excel.

A cell that is currently being edited does not have its current information included in a summation. Excel has been like this for at least a decade.

It's obvious from the picture that the cell was edited from $0 to $500 and it's still in edit function, hence why the cells are summing to $9,000. Excel is working properly. Anyone with a copy of Excel can replicate this. Hold the cell for editing and it will sum to $9,000, release it and it will sum to $9,500.

But the $500 is in the pie chart

JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #208 of 224
Quote:

A cell that is currently being edited does not have its current information included in a summation. Excel has been like this for at least a decade.

It's obvious from the picture that the cell was edited from $0 to $500 and it's still in edit function, hence why the cells are summing to $9,000. Excel is working properly. Anyone with a copy of Excel can replicate this. Hold the cell for editing and it will sum to $9,000, release it and it will sum to $9,500.

The strange thing about the ad though is why the pie chart is showing post edit results. The pie chart should not be showing 7 slices as the data set it's drawing from hasn't been updated. The math is correct, but the pie chart is not.

This still is a fairly pathetic attack which suggests that the author of the article has essentially no experience with how Excel has worked for a decade or more.

exactly! they just printed a baseless article to bash Microsoft.. Excel is what Numbers wishes it was.. The idiot who printed this billboard though, should be fired for incompetence.

post #209 of 224
For anyone who thinks Excel can't add a simple column of numbers, that's ignorance. This is clearly human error. The highlighted entry "Car" ($500) was entered/changed, but the user did not press Enter or arrow down/over.

The idiots who allowed this to be published should be disciplined/dismissed, but in this case it's ok to engage in ad hominem attacks and leave the technology alone. (Other failings of the Surface, being equal). :-)
post #210 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesky View Post

Before disparaging Excel, wouldn't you make sure Numbers actually works? Add up the percentage in the pie graph, where has the missing percentage sign gone? Numbers fail. At least Excel could be explained by user error, Numbers clearly doesn't work.

Quote:

The strange thing about the ad though is why the pie chart is showing post edit results. The pie chart should not be showing 7 slices as the data set it's drawing from hasn't been updated. The math is correct, but the pie chart is not.

This still is a fairly pathetic attack which suggests that the author of the article has essentially no experience with how Excel has worked for a decade or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapavoni View Post

For anyone who thinks Excel can't add a simple column of numbers, that's ignorance. This is clearly human error. The highlighted entry "Car" ($500) was entered/changed, but the user did not press Enter or arrow down/over.

The idiots who allowed this to be published should be disciplined/dismissed, but in this case it's ok to engage in ad hominem attacks and leave the technology alone. (Other failings of the Surface, being equal). :-)

All these new posters saying you need to press Enter first, showing they do not excel in Excel. People, before posting, please read the thread, start to finish.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #211 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

All these new posters saying you need to press Enter first, showing they do not excel in Excel. People, before posting, please read the thread, start to finish.

Only once in the posts you quoted did anyone mention anything about pressing enter. CPA and mikesky never said enter. That user merely discussed it in edit mode. No one you quoted said anything about needing to press Enter first. The person who said that was you.

I question if you've ever used Excel as you don't need to press enter basically ever. You can simply select another cell, or arrow key over to exit editing a cell. You don't even need to press enter after entering a function. People press enter after because it exits editing, but it is not necessary. At no point does anyone ever need to press enter first on excel.

post #212 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLL View Post

But the $500 is in the pie chart

That's probably why CPA said this:

"The strange thing about the ad though is why the pie chart is showing post edit results. The pie chart should not be showing 7 slices as the data set it's drawing from hasn't been updated. The math is correct, but the pie chart is not."

Short quoting helps no one.

post #213 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Check this out:
http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/
http://perceptualedge.com

Thanks - I've never used PowerPoint or even made a presentation before, so I will probably not remember their names in a few days.  I'm sure their graphs are nice.

post #214 of 224
I wonder if they realize maybe the cell is not using a formula and the user is entering the value directly on the cell. The pie chart looks complete.
post #215 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Think about it for a moment.

Just how desperate is MS, that they've resorted to *advertising* Excel?

I know this is hilarious, and a desperate move for MS. MS is just ridiculous for advertising a free feature of the Surface that people are buying for $100. Apple on the other hand did it right with the way they advertised a iWork as a free feature of Mavericks and iOS because ...

post #216 of 224
It's silly to speculate that MS is advertising Excel. They are just trying to say that the Surface can do actual useful work instead of just reading email and surfing the web.
Edited by ETruss - 11/13/13 at 9:05pm
post #217 of 224

There shouldn't be any speculating about this. MS did advertise the Surface and Excel. The fact that this article exists with it's title and supposed story is a little silly.

post #218 of 224

Microsoft obviously sucks at marketing.  Their surface ads suck, and they've done a terrible job at marketing the Xbox One (they're pretty much giving a majority market share to Sony).  

Excel can obviously add up the numbers correctly, the error is due to human error.  I personally prefer other spreadsheets (Gnumeric is better for actual number crunching), but this entire article is silly.  

post #219 of 224
I can explain whyt the sum is CORRECT and the calculation IS NOT ABSOLUTELY WRONG.
You can see very well that the FOCUS is on the cell 500, and in EDIT MODE, so has not yet hit enter or move the cursor... so it has NOT CONSOLIDATED THE CHANGE AND THE RESULT, as it happens, the result is in fact 500 less!!!
:-)))
post #220 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriasca View Post

I can explain whyt the sum is CORRECT and the calculation IS NOT ABSOLUTELY WRONG.
You can see very well that the FOCUS is on the cell 500, and in EDIT MODE, so has not yet hit enter or move the cursor... so it has NOT CONSOLIDATED THE CHANGE AND THE RESULT, as it happens, the result is in fact 500 less!!!
:-)))

Would you mind reading the thread first?
post #221 of 224

updates?

post #222 of 224
As much as I'd love to jump on this bandwagon because I despise Excel, I have to admit the ad does not depict an error. To conclude that it was an error would mean you have to assume the Total cell was a formula cell that would automatically calculate a new total for the added $500 item. Nothing in the screenshot indicates that it is a formula, and as a matterof fact the interface indicates that the user just finished added the $500 item and we might manually re-calculate their Total.

Now of course an ad designer should have avoided this chance for mockery, but I'm guess they were working on a Mac and really saw no need to offer Microsoft a helping hand:)
post #223 of 224
post #224 of 224

whoooaH

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Microsoft Surface ad fails to Excel at math, according to Apple's Numbers