or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple exploring pressure-sensitive iPhones with curved glass displays up to 5.5"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple exploring pressure-sensitive iPhones with curved glass displays up to 5.5" - Page 2

post #41 of 91
I truly hope the rumour "The two new iPhone models will feature screen sizes of 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches" is correct.



I hope so. It's what's needed.

They can keep the 4 incher and make it the 'iPhone Nano.'

Done.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

 

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

Reply
post #42 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post


I apologize to the other forum members. I didn't realize this was a throw-away account so I responded.

Why this "throw-away" account reference? I'm simply discussing some theory/speculation of my own. Not sure why I deserve that remark.

post #43 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brevis View Post


So the user will need to download the iPad version of the app and the iPhablet version. Two versions together in the iPad.

Not likely. Keep it simple!

 

Well obviously those apps would be "fat binaries" just like iPhone+iPad apps that exist on the App Store.

post #44 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Why would it be? Apps layouts have to be completely redone anyway, you can't just scale up coordinates. This is a touch screen device, touch target sizes have to be optimized. If this prevents lazy devs from simply blowing up their apps  (which would be easier but stupid) then I'm all for it. 

I'm thinking in apps that need months to be [well] done. To complicate the devs job without a good reason is not very clever. To call them 'lazy devs' because they don't want innecesary complications is offensive. Not all the devs are dedicated to farts apps.
post #45 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

Give me one good BUSINESS reason why Apple will not develop a 5.5" phone.  

I'll give you FOUR reasons why they should:

1. Apple is forgoing a large and growing market by not entering into the phablet category. It's not a growing market. Samsung is complaining because they've encountered slowing sales of their smart phones. In fact Samsung thinks the smart phone market is saturated.

2. Phablets are expensive and consumers are accustomed to paying a premium for then.  This is right in Apple's strike zone. The only phablets that Samsung can sell are the low cost models. The only consumers parting with the big bucks in record numbers are buying Apple branded products.

3. Phablets are popular in Asia, a stated growth area for Apple. See above

From Business Insider...

Phablets have experienced phenomenal growth in shipments across the Asia-Pacific region.



Shipments increased by an average of 88 percent quarter-on-quarter between year-end 2011 and June 30 of this year, according to IDC. 



Here's another All Points Bulletin: "Only shit sells in Asia unless it has an Apple logo, then people will buy."

4. Apple is relinquishing this category to Samsung and will cause damage to Samsung if they can grab some of this market. It's been stated over and over: Apple doesn't care about market penetration. They want the top tier.

ONE good reason: Samsung's big phablets don't sell like everyone thought they were. Recent statements by Samsung indicates that most of their phone sales (2/3) were NOT those models comparable to iPhones. Sure you notice people using the oversized phones because they look so damn ridiculous, not because there are a lot of them. If big ones are selling in Asia, then they are Samsung's cheap ones.
post #46 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brevis View Post

I'm thinking in apps that need months to be [well] done. To complicate the devs job without a good reason is not very clever. To call them 'lazy devs' because they don't want innecesary complications is offensive. Not all the devs are dedicated to farts apps.

I can tell you are not a app developer. It doesn't take much time at all to resize an app to properly take advantage of a different screen size. I'm not saying Apple will go to a size between the current iPhone and iPad mini... I'm saying it's unlikely.

P.S. I don't think you can find an iFart app in the app store any more.
post #47 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brevis View Post

So the user will need to download the iPad version of the app and the iPhablet version. Two versions together in the iPad.

Not likely. Keep it simple!

The App store knows what device you are using to downlaod an App. When using my iPhone, I can't even see Apps exclusive to the iPads.
post #48 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Bloomberg is wrong more than its right with Apple rumors. So I take this with a HUGE grain of salt.

I'm with you on this one. Especially the idea of flexible screens: As long as Apple is investing in Sapphire for the front glass, flexible is not an option to pursue.
post #49 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brevis View Post


I'm thinking in apps that need months to be [well] done. To complicate the devs job without a good reason is not very clever. To call them 'lazy devs' because they don't want innecesary complications is offensive. Not all the devs are dedicated to farts apps.

 

What will complicate things for developers is the significant screen size difference requiring rethinking the layout, not the aspect ratio change. The lazy developers I was talking about would simply blow up their UI as a native phablet app and never work on optimizing it. I wasn't talking about those who would use this as a temporary solution.

 

But anyway developers will have to support the 3:2 screen of the iPhone 3/4 for a while now, so this discussion is moot.

post #50 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

I never said anything about split-screen multi-tasking on a mobile phone. I also think it's absurd. I was talking about running two apps side by side on an iPad. Half an iPad mini screen could be used in an hypothetical 5.7" Apple phablet, and optimizing apps for this size would also mean optimizing for split screen on full size iPads.

I understand what you're saying about relying on dynamic resizing to make tablet apps from phone apps, something Apple has tried to avoid, but I see them keeping the iPad and iPhone as separated entities in the App Store. The same could be done with a phablet.

Split screen multitasking is less absurd with a 5" screen. On the GS4, it would have been usable (for me) if more than a few first party apps worked with it. My use case: calendar event with a conference call pass code. I'd like to see the event and the phone dialer at the same time. Amusingly (but frustrating at the time I had that phone), Calendar and Phone could not be put in split screen. Like all things Samsung, it was half-baked, but a real implementation of this would be appealing to me.

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

Reply

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

Reply
post #51 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryA View Post


Split screen multitasking is less absurd with a 5" screen. On the GS4, it would have been usable (for me) if more than a few first party apps worked with it. My use case: calendar event with a conference call pass code. I'd like to see the event and the phone dialer at the same time. Amusingly (but frustrating at the time I had that phone), Calendar and Phone could not be put in split screen. Like all things Samsung, it was half-baked, but a real implementation of this would be appealing to me.

I was mainly thinking about "small" mobile phones like the 4" iPhone. On a 5"+ device (which I don't really consider the same device category) it might make more sense for some.

post #52 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I can tell you are not a app developer. It doesn't take much time at all to resize an app to properly take advantage of a different screen size. I'm not saying Apple will go to a size between the current iPhone and iPad mini... I'm saying it's unlikely.

P.S. I don't think you can find an iFart app in the app store any more.

Resize apps is easy, I know. And resized apps works. But in some apps many things need to be reorganized.

I think Apple will go to a size between the current iPhone and iPad mini. There are a lot of money there. My point is that, if that happens, to change the aspect ratio has no logic.
post #53 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

 

None of that shit matters to Apple if they believe 5.5" for a phone is a ridiculous size. If they release a larger phone, it will be between 4.5-5.0, and probably leaning towards the lower end of that range. You're a bit out of touch if you actually believe "most" people want a 5.5" phone. If that was the case, 9 million iPhones wouldn't have been sold in a weekend. 

 

So your business reason for Apple not to enter the phablet market is "they believe 5.5" for a phone is a ridiculous size"?  

 

Then you claim that I stated that "most" people want a 5.5" phone.  Then you claim that because item "A" sold a lot, that item "B" will not sell a lot.

 

Is this really the best you can do?

post #54 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post
 

I hate to repeat myself, but if Apple releases a phablet, it will be 5.7" not 5.5". 

 

5.7" is exactly half an iPad mini screen which would make it 1536x1024 at 326DPI. Two apps optimized for this screen format could run side by side on the iPads.

 

You are taking the manufacturing consideration over developer consideration. While using the same 326PPI would be great. Resolution does not make any sense. It isn't a iPhone 5 Multiple. Nor It is a iPad Multiple. You are basically creating a third category of devices that developers had to take care of. And NO, it is not as simple as another Fat Binaries. If that is the case Android wouldn't have fragmentation problems.  ( Fragmentation isn't only OS version, screen size and resolution as well )

 

We have been through this before.

 

Either Double the Resolution, 2272 x 1280 , with the current and next year display tech that is only possible at 4.8" screen and up. Starting at 543PPI. The current A7 chip is already capable driving this resolution as shown with iPad Air and Retina Mini.

 

Or you create a 1.5x resolution. Which would be the best compromise. As the higher PPI the more power usage. But then some Apps and resolution doesn't do very well with the 0.5x multiple.

 

But with 50% larger screen and phone area, you are going get 70%+ larger battery  since all part area stays constant,  think this will more than offset the problem. Again only Apple would know.

 

Then there is price point, larger screen protected glass ( I dont think Sapphire front display are coming next year yet, although i would love to be proven wrong ), much better and larger display, larger battery. Although my estimate is that it will only add $5 to $10 to BOM cost. Apple will likely price their larger screen at $50 premium. Making the starting price increase from $649 to $699.

post #55 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatcaesar View Post



This isn't the view of the majority iPhone still owns the high end market. Apple following the example of Samsung is the worst thing the company could ever do in the history of the brand. Apple doesn't follow, it leads, they introduced the iPad for a reason. Anything much bigger than 4 inches is no longer a phone, it's an undersized tablet. If apple really has to make bigger screens just add phone capability to the iPad mini but don't humor anything by calling it an iPhone. It'll be a cellular enabled iPad. Note 3 isn't a phone its an undersized tablet that can call.

 

Apple has already set a precedent when they launched the iPad mini.  This was clearly a repudiation of earlier words from Steve Jobs and was a response to Samsung and other competitors, yet it has been very successful.

 

Why would you assume that every single trend must initiate with Apple?  Smart businesses also adapt to moves by their competitors and this should not be viewed as weakness.

post #56 of 91
From Business Insider...

Phablets have experienced phenomenal growth in shipments across the Asia-Pacific region.

 

Shipments increased by an average of 88 percent quarter-on-quarter between year-end 2011 and June 30 of this year, according to IDC. 

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky

Here's another All Points Bulletin: "Only shit sells in Asia unless it has an Apple logo, then people will buy."

 

 

Let me get this straight, your response to data from IDC showing strong growth of phablets is "Only shit sells in Asia unless it has an Apple logo, then people will buy."   So, you're suggesting that people in Asia will buy feces if there is an Apple logo on it?  Do you have any data to back up this claim?

 

I'd be very interested in your experience in Asia that affords you such valuable insight.   

post #57 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brevis View Post


Resize apps is easy, I know. And resized apps works. But in some apps many things need to be reorganized.

I think Apple will go to a size between the current iPhone and iPad mini. There are a lot of money there. My point is that, if that happens, to change the aspect ratio has no logic.

Your whole point was based on the idea that it would require "FAR more work" to go from the 16:9 app to a 3:2 phablet because the aspect ratio was different. But you forgot (and I forgot too) that every single iPhone app has to support 3:2 screens anyway so your point is moot.

post #58 of 91

I just want bigger icons...

post #59 of 91
I feel like we go through this every year
post #60 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post
 

 

You are taking the manufacturing consideration over developer consideration. While using the same 326PPI would be great. Resolution does not make any sense. It isn't a iPhone 5 Multiple. Nor It is a iPad Multiple. You are basically creating a third category of devices that developers had to take care of. And NO, it is not as simple as another Fat Binaries. If that is the case Android wouldn't have fragmentation problems.  ( Fragmentation isn't only OS version, screen size and resolution as well )

 

We have been through this before.

 

Either Double the Resolution, 2272 x 1280 , with the current and next year display tech that is only possible at 4.8" screen and up. Starting at 543PPI. The current A7 chip is already capable driving this resolution as shown with iPad Air and Retina Mini.

 

Or you create a 1.5x resolution. Which would be the best compromise. As the higher PPI the more power usage. But then some Apps and resolution doesn't do very well with the 0.5x multiple.

 

But with 50% larger screen and phone area, you are going get 70%+ larger battery  since all part area stays constant,  think this will more than offset the problem. Again only Apple would know.

 

Then there is price point, larger screen protected glass ( I dont think Sapphire front display are coming next year yet, although i would love to be proven wrong ), much better and larger display, larger battery. Although my estimate is that it will only add $5 to $10 to BOM cost. Apple will likely price their larger screen at $50 premium. Making the starting price increase from $649 to $699.

 

Having resolutions that are multiple of existing ones was useful for devices that have the same screen size, because UI elements could stay exactly at the same place and with the same size on screen (and the iOS made the 2x coordinate conversion automatically).

 

Avoiding fractional multiplication of screen coordinates is not a necessity with a screen size changes since UI elements need to be moved around and layouts have to be redone anyway. The iPad doesn't have multiple of the iPhone resolution.

 

Using 324PPI is not only a hardware manufacturing consideration, but also a developer consideration. By keeping 324PPI as a maximum, devs only have to redo their layouts when the screen size changes, which is done automatically if they use the auto-layout APIs.

 

If you go beyond 324, it forces devs to provide yet another set of bitmaps, as well as scale all of their touch targets and buttons to compensate for the increased density, and they still have to work on the layouts because of the screen size change (having a PPI that is a multiple doesn't change that). Auto-layout APIs do nothing to help scaling apps between different screen densities.


Edited by VL-Tone - 11/10/13 at 8:39pm
post #61 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Your whole point was based on the idea that it would require "FAR more work" to go from the 16:9 app to a 3:2 phablet because the aspect ratio was different. But you forgot (and I forgot too) that every single iPhone app has to support 3:2 screens anyway so your point is moot.

I think iPhablet will be 16:9, like the iPhone. No need 3:2 anymore. In my view phablets are big phones, like netbooks were cheap laptops. Re-size between different screen ratios has a problem when circles must remain circles. The less screen ratios, the better.
But... who knows? Perhaps you'll right!

PS: There must be better ways to split an iPad screen in two parts.
post #62 of 91
Man, that big iPhone sure is ugly!
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #63 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brevis View Post


I think iPhablet will be 16:9, like the iPhone. No need 3:2 anymore. In my view phablets are big phones, like netbooks were cheap laptops. Re-size between different screen ratios has a problem when circles must remain circles. The less screen ratios, the better.
But... who knows? Perhaps you'll right!

PS: There must be better ways to split an iPad screen in two parts.

I see phablets as something between phones and tablets (hence the name). So to me 3:2 is ok, especially if it opens the possibility to split-screen apps on the iPad and help manufacturing by using the good half an iPad mini screen when the other half has a defect.

 

But yeah, perhaps you're right too! It's just some wild speculation from my part.

post #64 of 91
Alleged details were detailed, which claimed that apparently will supposedly" citing an anonymous source.
post #65 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobsonmyface View Post

Wait....I thought 3.5 inches was the perfect size??
Nope, it was a good starter size, considering 3.5 inch was 1-2 inches bigger than most for the time, they tried 4, it after the second year is a little bit to small, I predict 4-5 will be settled at some point perfect, if you want 5+, but a dang tablet for once, "but I want to call for a tablet", there is no nice way to point out that 2 can't equal 1, if the next iPhone releases 4,4.2,4.3,4.5,4.6,4.7 inches I'm okay with that, if it releases 4.8,4.9,5,5+ I think it is to big and should be replaced by a 6.5 inch tablet.
post #66 of 91

This is obviously just an anecdote, but honestly I've never seen a "phablet" (I HATE that neologism, btw) in the wild.  Not.  One.  Single.  Time.

 

And no one has been able to explain to me what curved glass would accomplish.  

post #67 of 91
Apple should make bigger screen iPhones, at list 4.5 or 5 inch. Samsung S3 and S4 have gr8 screen size, which still fits nicely into pocket and can be operated with 1 hand. Looking content on bigger screen size is quite a better experience then on smaller (current iphones)
post #68 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I apologize to the other forum members. I didn't realize this was a throw-away account so I responded.

Are you sure? I didn't read anything in VL-Tone's posts that seemed to suggest his was a throw-away account.

Were you talking about JobsOnMyFace instead?
post #69 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprobbo View Post

I feel like we go through this every year

We do.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Reply
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.
Reply
post #70 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
 

 

Give me one good BUSINESS reason why Apple will not develop a 5.5" phone.  

 

I'll give you FOUR reasons why they should:

 

1. Apple is forgoing a large and growing market by not entering into the phablet category.

 

2. Phablets are expensive and consumers are accustomed to paying a premium for then.  This is right in Apple's strike zone.

 

3. Phablets are popular in Asia, a stated growth area for Apple.

 

From Business Insider...

Phablets have experienced phenomenal growth in shipments across the Asia-Pacific region.

Shipments increased by an average of 88 percent quarter-on-quarter between year-end 2011 and June 30 of this year, according to IDC. 

 

4. Apple is relinquishing this category to Samsung and will cause damage to Samsung if they can grab some of this market.

 

For one Apple doesn't go behind market share and what the majority people think is best for the consumer.

For that matter they don't even rely on what the consumer itself thinks is best for him.

Apple's agenda is entirely different from the rest of the guys out there. They aim at creating the best in class device for a particular category.

And it is a very well known fact that a larger screen size especially in the 5" + area, would sacrifice heavily on single handed operations.

 

Apple will move to 5" for one reason alone. If it can find a technological method to still keep the device usable with a single hand.

It is what makes Apple what it is today. They don't follow the masses or what the masses do .

 

Now talking about your business reasons, you should realize that even after the so called "Exponential" growth of Phablets, Apple's earning is still higher than Samsung, LG, Nokia and other mobile phone manufacturers (for the mobile computing sector), all COMBINED !.

 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/30/apple-earned-more-than-samsung-lg-nokia-huawei-lenovo-motorolas-mobile-shipments-combined

That speaks volumes about not following what the masses do, and following your own principles.

post #71 of 91
So, in your vision:
iPhone --> 16:9
iPhablet --> 3:2
iPad --> 4:3
Developers --> busy and dizzy

I think you can keep it simple.[/quote]

Apple already support all these screen ratios. The 4s has the same ratio as the proposed phablet size. I actually prefer the 3:2 ratio of the 4s to the 16:9 ratio of the 5 lineup.
post #72 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
 

 

Give me one good BUSINESS reason why Apple will not develop a 5.5" phone.  

 

I'll give you FOUR reasons why they should:

 

1. Apple is forgoing a large and growing market by not entering into the phablet category.

 

2. Phablets are expensive and consumers are accustomed to paying a premium for then.  This is right in Apple's strike zone.

 

3. Phablets are popular in Asia, a stated growth area for Apple.

 

From Business Insider...

Phablets have experienced phenomenal growth in shipments across the Asia-Pacific region.

Shipments increased by an average of 88 percent quarter-on-quarter between year-end 2011 and June 30 of this year, according to IDC. 

 

4. Apple is relinquishing this category to Samsung and will cause damage to Samsung if they can grab some of this market.

4 is right out.  Apple is not about 'causing damage.'   It's not a job they feel a phone needs to solve for a consumer.

Now, if Samsung created a phone that create a demand that is defining a job... Apple would jump (iPad Mini), but I see a distribution decay between 4 and 6" that is normal for the demographic... there is no other sweet spot, just a distribution curve decay.

 

2 is out as Apple is not going to charge a premium for it's flagship phone in a class.  It will be $299 for a 16gb phone with subsidies.  Now you may say that the 'premium' market is shifting  (see iPad Mini) to a larger format portable phone/tablet... I would argue that the two does not follow, and infact the higher priced iPad retina is more delivery of 'smaller costs more' (miniturization of retina costs more to produce than a non-retina or a larger retina).   

 

1 and 3 are the same. and that's pretty much the question.   What is the 'center mass' for the 'quality seeking' market.   Is it split between 2 sizes like the tablet market (highly portable vs laptop replacement), or is it most people want a pocket phone and that phone is 3.5 to 5" in size?   

 

I do think that next phone will be  larger, and I believe the reason is that as the market age gets older, the size will need to increase for dexterity and visual acuity reasons.   While Teens are the 'new growth' market in classic markets, in this post boomer age, we've reached Peak Teen (world wide, the number of children under 18 will remain constant... all population growth will be due to extending the life expectancy post adulthood).   A 60 year old who bought a 3.5" phone 5 years ago, will likely want a 5" in 5 more years... just to increase the font by 20%.   So I see a 4" and a 5-5.5" as the dual phone sizes... maybe 6" but not 2 'new' sizes along with a 3rd' old size.

post #73 of 91

Larger screen? Curved display? Please be kidding...

"We're surrounded by anonymous, poorly made objects. It's tempting to think it's because the people who use them don't care -- just like the people who make them." - Jony Ive, 2014
Reply
"We're surrounded by anonymous, poorly made objects. It's tempting to think it's because the people who use them don't care -- just like the people who make them." - Jony Ive, 2014
Reply
post #74 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jume View Post

Apple should make bigger screen iPhones, at list 4.5 or 5 inch. Samsung S3 and S4 have gr8 screen size, which still fits nicely into pocket and can be operated with 1 hand. Looking content on bigger screen size is quite a better experience then on smaller (current iphones)


Unless you're Mickey Mouse, you can't operate a Shitsung S3 or S4 with one hand. Looking content is always better on a larger screen, but the question is, can you really make it larger beyond the normal operable limits of a human hand? That's the kind of thing Apple understands and spends in R&D for. All Shitsung and its brethrens want is money money money with a larger market share, any way they can.

"We're surrounded by anonymous, poorly made objects. It's tempting to think it's because the people who use them don't care -- just like the people who make them." - Jony Ive, 2014
Reply
"We're surrounded by anonymous, poorly made objects. It's tempting to think it's because the people who use them don't care -- just like the people who make them." - Jony Ive, 2014
Reply
post #75 of 91
Dear Apple,
Don't listen to these morons, Smartphone screen size is the megahertz race of our decade, it is a fad.
I actually want a smaller iPhone, no bigger than the flip phones used to be.
post #76 of 91
Dear Apple, please don't jump on this dying bandwagon. Carry on doing your own thing and not competing against anyone.
As for split screen apps, I'm sure that when they discover the perfect way to do it, a way that "just works", a way that fits nicely with iOS, it will appear on iPads.
post #77 of 91

It seems everyone is talking size... but very few have mentioned the "curve" aspect of this rumour which IMHO is enough to debunk it. I cannot think of a single benefit in the current form factor for the use of a curved surface, but plenty of user impacting negatives. Even the simple topic of finger interactions to a screen that is curved... it will make swiping a major pain. Also, the use of a curved surface will add to the general depth of the device. So with the two aforementioned points, how can anyone believe this rumour to be plausible in the slightest.

 

 

note: I guarantee you that Apple R&D is doing all kinds of crazy things... which is the only place where you will find the only likely place for these insane rumours. 

post #78 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post


I can tell you are not a app developer. It doesn't take much time at all to resize an app to properly take advantage of a different screen size. I'm not saying Apple will go to a size between the current iPhone and iPad mini... I'm saying it's unlikely.

P.S. I don't think you can find an iFart app in the app store any more.

The classics ... They just don't make 'em like they used to.

post #79 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Dear Apple,
Don't listen to these morons, Smartphone screen size is the megahertz race of our decade, it is a fad.
I actually want a smaller iPhone, no bigger than the flip phones used to be.

FYI, the MHz race wasn't a fad.

post #80 of 91

Only speaking for myself, and admiting I am somewhat style conscious. When I see people using these huge phones that I call " ping pong paddles " I just laugh at how absurd they look. I don't see the benefit of these huge phones vs the drawback of carrying around that bulky ugly device with you everywhere you go. Its like wearing one of those clips with your phone on your belt, or one of those blue tooth ear piece things. I wouldn't be caught dead with one. Makes me wonder if the person is a slave to their job or something. My grandmother does have a giant Samsung phone but she can't see that well, so in theory it should to be helpful. However nothing looks very clear on her device anyway.

 

For me, my iPhone 5 is the perfect size. I carry a vert small wallet, keep two keys on my keyring and like a light phone that easily fits in any pocket. I might buy a slightly larger one if Apple made one and kept the overall dimensions barely changed. However the 5 does everything I want it to do. If I wanted to watch videos at length I would use an iPad or laptop. I have no desire to carry around a bulky device that I don't need. I see it as a move backward not forward.

 

When I see a cell phone over 5", I think modern day fanny pack.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: Apple exploring pressure-sensitive iPhones with curved glass displays up to 5.5"
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple exploring pressure-sensitive iPhones with curved glass displays up to 5.5"