or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Former director of Siri now working with Samsung on 'internet of things' initiative

Former director of Siri now working with Samsung on 'internet of things' initiative

post #1 of 53
Former Apple software engineer Luc Julia, who was in charge of developing the company's Siri virtual assistant, is now working at Samsung on SAMI, a platform that looks to aggregate and distribute data from Internet connected devices.

Samsung Open
Samsung's Open Innovation strategy. | Source: Samsung

Julia, who is now a vice president at Samsung's Open Innovation Center, on Friday showed off an early build of the Samsung Architecture for Multimodal Interactions (SAMI), which looks to bring together and digest data from multiple connected devices, reports IDG News (via MacWorld).

Once the platform is built out, SAMI will be able to access data from wearable computers, "smart home" devices, cars and more, then spit out the results as a normalized feed. As a demonstration, Julia generated data onstage by running around with various fitness trackers attached to his body, with all information being funneled through a single app.

Interestingly, the system appears to feature a type of virtual assistant component much like Apple's Siri. Following the workout session, Julia asked, "SAMI, how am I doing?" The app responded by saying he had reached a predetermined exercise goal for the day.

Apple's Siri fetches and aggregates data as well, though the assistant is iOS-only. SAMI, on the other hand, will supposedly be somewhat more open. Currently, Samsung is working with a number of partners to develop the technology, including Fitbit, Pebble and Withings, among others. Altogether, about 50 companies are part of SAMI's development and testing.

With SAMI, Samsung is attempting to "normalize" the data from various products and offer it up in a feed available to other apps, the publication said.

"We're doing this normalization and delivering the data through an API, because people don't want to learn all the APIs for all the individual products," Julia said.

A main concern for Samsung is the development of SAMI's software, something foreign to the hardware-focused tech giant. Apple is not expected to lend its expertise to Samsung's program, due to the companies' ongoing worldwide patent struggle and smartphone rivalry.

"It's something Samsung doesn't know very well today, because Samsung is a hardware company," he said. "But we want to enter the space, and offer something different from iCloud."

Julia previously held the role of director on Apple's Siri team for ten months after the virtual assistant's co-founder Dag Kittlaus departed in 2011. He ultimately left Apple in 2012 to take on a job at Samsung.
post #2 of 53
What a traitor.
post #3 of 53
I don't really see an issue with engineers moving companies to create or recreate similar technologies. (one trick pony jokes aside.)

However if Samsung releases an interactive virtual assistant-like product named "SAMI", this is certainly not going to help the saga of looking like Apple-obsessed plagiarists.

"SAMI" / "SURI".. at least pick a dissimilar name.

Earning the title "innovator", is not taking an already mature product and rebranding it. It shouldn't look or feel like anything out there.
post #4 of 53
LOL. Get ready for some internet-connected toaster-fridges.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #5 of 53
"Open innovation"? "Synergy"? "Cooperation"? Sounds like a feel good word salad. Where's "suing others with SEPs" on that slide?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #6 of 53
Gotta pay raise and a lofty title, eh? Just couldn't crack the hierarchy at Apple and your ego too frail to cope? Samsung is on the phone!
post #7 of 53

Good luck to him, he's probably going to need it. As we've seen company culture has a lot to do with companies making great things. (Example: Ron Johnson). Those who have done well at Apple don't always go on to bigger, better things.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECats View Post

I don't really see an issue with engineers moving companies to create or recreate similar technologies. (one trick pony jokes aside.)

However if Samsung releases an interactive virtual assistant-like product named "SAMI", this is certainly not going to help the saga of looking like Apple-obsessed plagiarists.

"SAMI" / "SURI".. at least pick a dissimilar name.

Earning the title "innovator", is not taking an already mature product and rebranding it. It shouldn't look or feel like anything out there.

How about "IRIS"? Just like the Sony product name Samsung ripped off by spelling it backwards.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #9 of 53
Samsungs motive with this move is obviously to connect all the other samsung home appliance with the smart phones with voice enabled software. Like connect the fridge , toaster, vaccum, washing machine etc..

And make applications by connecting them up. Like a fridge ordering for milk automatically from the store when the milk content is low or expired.
How bout the vacuum machine being navigated across the home when u just ask voice assistant "Get the house cleaned up" while ur sitting at office.
post #10 of 53
You know you're insecure about your own innovation when you need to use a name like "open innovation center".

LOOK AT US WE INNOVATE WE INNOVATE

Yeah keep telling yourselves that
post #11 of 53
Whatever Sami comes up with better not small and taste like what this guy was working on at Apple or some one will get Papermastered....
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #12 of 53
So there making another fake Siri and a rip off of iCloud?
post #13 of 53
High treason
post #14 of 53
Samsung's S-Voice needs the help. I just wish someone from the Google Now team would make Siri faster.
post #15 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Samsung's S-Voice needs the help. I just wish someone from the Google Now team would make Siri faster.

Siri is pretty damn fast on iOS7. 

post #16 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Siri is pretty damn fast on iOS7. 
It is when it works, but I often get the server down "I'm sorry, but I'm crap & can't help you right now" message. At least for me in the UK Siri had never been and continues to be of little use.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #17 of 53
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

except that google's stuff usually looks like crap.  google maps looked better on iOS then android.  and in Korea where i am living, siri works just fine, in Korean and U.K. English.
post #18 of 53

As much as I don't like Samsung, I must admit that this seems the way ahead. If you want your digital assistant to be ubiquitous, then you have to work with partners and normalize the APIs to get it to work for as many products as possible.

Problem with Samsung is that they are such a big conglomerate that the companies "helping" them with their new assistant will get the short end of the stick. Because Samsung already produces TVs, Fridges, Scales, Cargo Ships, heavy machinery. Heck, they produce almost everything (including theme parks).

Whereas Apple will be, hardware-wise, less competitive with some companies (fridges, etc etc). Apple has a long story of negotiating with Hollywood content producers and providers, not so much with other HW providers (think Siri in the car, and other initiatives). I don't know what is boiling in the basements of Cupertino, but my perspective is that some more openness with regards to Siri's accessibility will be of great benefice to Apple's bottom line. Sort of a "license" program for "Siri certified Apps". You want your APP to be Siri capable? You have to follow certain guidelines, use certain methods in the correct way and, if necessary, pay a license fee to be Siri certified. If not, your Siri integration will not be offered on the App store and your software will not be installed on a Mac. Similar to what Apple does now for software on the OSX that comes from outside the App store. If it is "signed" no problem, else you install it at your own risk.

post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by revenant View Post

google maps looked better on iOS then android.

Double answer, choose what you like:

That's because Apple designed the app for iOS.
That's because Google designed the app for Android.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #20 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

It's because the Drawing Backend Primitives with Display PDF 2D Vector graphics from the metal up to the highest layer in Quartz Extreme and a superior WindowServer with OpenGL accelerated primitives in 3D is decades ahead of Linux/XOrg/Google.

post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighype View Post

What a traitor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Gotta pay raise and a lofty title, eh? Just couldn't crack the hierarchy at Apple and your ego too frail to cope? Samsung is on the phone!

Come on people. As much as we all love Apple (and despise Samsung) we don't know what its like for the thousands of people who work there and from what we've read of third-party accounts it sounds like Apple is the kind of place where people could suffer from burn-out.  

Don't knock anyone for choosing a different employer or career.

post #22 of 53
Quote:

Google designed the current app for iOS.1wink.gif Marks answer may have been more accurate tho I doubt anyone is decades ahead of anyone else.
Edited by Gatorguy - 11/11/13 at 3:06am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #23 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

Google designed the current app for iOS.1wink.gif Marks answer may have been more accurate tho I doubt anyone is decades ahead of anyone else.

I was referring to the Maps app the iPhone got when..oh, you know what I meant. The smiley is probably the giveaway for me.

But yes, you're right, Google is among the many companies offering a Maps app on iOS. Totally forgot about that.

Totally forgot about Google here, maybe I'm lost.
post #24 of 53

are we sure it's really him and not Luke Giulia? Samsung does have a funny way of copying innovating.

post #25 of 53
Sounds like many people here are pretty jealous or aggressive. This guy got a great job, he probably will help create somethign really cool, and I don't see why it should hurt Apple that Samsung starts making great products at last...

I would like to have a coffee machien that starts automatically when I get in the shower, and a bread-cooker-thing that gets my bread ready in time for me to eat it... and that kind of stuff.
Done right, it could be controlled from my iPad.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #26 of 53
This just in.

Samsung has created a new company to combine not only the best of Apple and Samsung technology, but their names as well.

Unfortunately, the name of the new company, although technically accurate, leaves a lot to be desired...

"Sample"
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
post #27 of 53
On the topic of SIRI; what a missing opportunity for Apple... They let this one slip. I still remember using SIRI v1.0 before apple bought it, it had way more stuff you could do with it. Apple could have hired 300 people to just add a lovely AI of SIRI. Instead they have let it slip, and with only tiny updates here and there. SIRI could have been a major framework by now, allowing decent APIs and better AI results. It should have been made 1000 times more powerful, but as always Apple is taking it way too slowly.

I really hope Apple anno 2014-> starts kicking up services and get serious. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain by making a new world in AI. Get on it.
post #28 of 53
Maria Hill: What does S.H.I.E.L.D. stand for, Agent Ward?

Grant Ward: Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division.

Maria Hill: And what does that mean to you?

Grant Ward: It means someone really wanted our initials to spell out "shield."

What does SAMI stand for?

Samsung Architecture for Multimodal Interactions/b]

Yup
post #29 of 53

Sounds like a good project, like a Bonjour-lite, and what Apple should be aiming for if they want to expand the ecosystem.  Marks for openness too, I think architectural stuff like this can be of much more benefit if its open and widely distributed.  Execution.... well let's wait and see.

I know a guy called Sami; he's alright.

censored

censored

post #30 of 53
Quote:

Where is jragosta, anyway?
post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

...shhhhh!...
post #32 of 53
The downside of buying companies to acquire their product (SIRI), is that the people you acquire with it do not have the same loyalty to Apple as those who are "native".

I will always consider Google and Samsung as tainted entities because of they way they have ripped off Apple's products and technologies. And I will always look less kindly on those who leave Apple to join them.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

I would like to have a coffee machien that starts automatically when I get in the shower, and a bread-cooker-thing that gets my bread ready in time for me to eat it... and that kind of stuff.
Done right, it could be controlled from my iPad.

Yeah, and I'd like my bread to wander over from my pantry and climb into the toaster, on command from my shower, but ain't gonna happen.....
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The downside of buying companies to acquire their product (SIRI), is that the people you acquire with it do not have the same loyalty to Apple as those who are "native".

I will always consider Google and Samsung as tainted entities because of they way they have ripped off Apple's products and technologies. And I will always look less kindly on those who leave Apple to join them.

How about people who leave Google to join Apple?
post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Maria Hill: What does S.H.I.E.L.D. stand for, Agent Ward?

Grant Ward: Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division.

Maria Hill: And what does that mean to you?

Grant Ward: It means someone really wanted our initials to spell out "shield."

What does SAMI stand for?

Samsung Architecture for Multimodal Interactions/b]

Yup

Better than Strategic Homeland Intervention Team. :p

post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

That's one way of looking at it.  Another would be that Apple need to keep their talented people interested and rewarded enough that they aren't reliant on "loyalty" to retain staff (or customers for that matter).  And/or accept that they can't be everything to everyone and that people will move on to other things.

The mindset of staff who have loyalty to a multi-billion dollar corporate entity is a bit odd anyway.

censored

censored

post #37 of 53
Quote:

Quote:

...shhhhh!...

I think that'd apply better to k darling. Let jr in anytime; he brings in good info.
post #38 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

That's one way of looking at it.  Another would be that Apple need to keep their talented people interested and rewarded enough that they aren't reliant on "loyalty" to retain staff (or customers for that matter).  And/or accept that they can't be everything to everyone and that people will move on to other things.

The mindset of staff who have loyalty to a multi-billion dollar corporate entity is a bit odd anyway.

Besides, this is a business you're talking of, not a country or a religion. Loyalty to a business? Strange concept.

post #39 of 53
Quote:

Yeah, and I'd like my bread to wander over from my pantry and climb into the toaster, on command from my shower, but ain't gonna happen.....

I can envision technical solutions to solve the problem I outlined, at least. Yours, apart from using a wandering robot, which requires much higher technology, is pretty much impossible to solve without human intervention.

Then again, people couldn't understand the iPad or iPhone's possibilities a few years ago, so you can't be faulted for thinking the old "ain't gonna happen". Not everyone can "think different" ;)

post #40 of 53
Quote:

I think that'd apply better to k darling. Let jr in anytime; he brings in good info.

It's not the info he adds, which I agree can add to the forum. It's the tone that causes backlash. Probably a moot point anyway as I suspect he's moved on to other things.
Edited by Gatorguy - 11/11/13 at 6:59am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Former director of Siri now working with Samsung on 'internet of things' initiative