or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple Maps took around 80 percent of Google Maps' iOS traffic in one year

Apple Maps took around 80 percent of Google Maps' iOS traffic in one year - Page 5

post #161 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

No they can't. Their search engine might produce a few more results but man are those results crap.

I've been using Yahoo purely because it isn't Google and because it gives just as crap results but isn't Google. :-)

Each to his own I guess, I predominately look at programming sites and out of all the search engines Google has always found the answer to my question in the quickest and most accurate manner. I really dislike Yahoo, I would use Bing, there is this great little program for my Windows 8 tablet that searches all of the web engines including Wikipedia and custom options all at once and then sorts out the duplicates. I use that more then anything, sometimes Bing or Yahoo will come up with a result that wasn't included in Google's results but most of the time Google has what I need. Hatred for Google is a silly thing as I'm in the firm belief that ALL corporations are inherently evil. If Google had a better relationship with Apple it wouldn't be a issue here, blah, blah Google is spying on us, who isn't nowadays. I don't allow one billion dollar company to dictate the way I feel about another, if that was the case I wouldn't use Apple products because they contain Samsung components.

Edited by Relic - 11/12/13 at 3:59am
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #162 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

That's what the majority of Android users are doing, nice and cheap with no pesky data plans.

What evidence do you have to back up that statement? Where I live, it's virtually impossible to get a phone contract without a data plan these days.

post #163 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAir View Post

Not everyone needs Maps. For example:

Here, Portugal, most Android users I know use TMN maps, because it allows you to download the entire map of the country and access it offline.

Nokia Maps allows for the same thing, which is fantastic when your out of country and don't want to pay for those outrageous data roaming charges. I would love it if I could use Nokia Maps on my iPad Air as that screen is so perfect for everything.

post #164 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:

Here, Portugal, most Android users I know use TMN maps, because it allows you to download the entire map of the country and access it offline.
Nokia Maps allows for the same thing, which is fantastic when your out of country and don't want to pay for those outrageous data roaming charges. I would love it if I could use Nokia Maps on my iPad Air as that screen is so perfect for everything.

You can through your browser.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #165 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You can through your browser.

Download an entire countries map including train and other public transit info?

post #166 of 218
Quote:

Can't do that with the US. However I believe Apple Maps downloads a 200 mile radius or something like that.
post #167 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Can't do that with the US. However I believe Apple Maps downloads a 200 mile radius or something like that.

I'd guess it's a specific data limit rather than sq miles just like Google Maps does, so the downloadable map area available for off-line use (local storage) might vary. Maybe Nokia handles it differently tho.

EDIT: An article on Nokia Here for iOS says "Offline Maps only work with one-specific map area, as users are only able to download 10MB of mapping data for offline use." Not entirely certain that's (still?) accurate.
Edited by Gatorguy - 11/12/13 at 7:58am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #168 of 218
Originally Posted by StephenTodd View Post
I LOVE GOOGLE MAPS I USE I0S7 NOW,  GOOGLE MAPS STILL RUNNING VERY GOOD

That darn Starbucks, huh.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
post #169 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I believe Apple does collect personal information, and Apple themselves say they do right there in their privacy policy (that few ever bother to read). They even say they may use it for advertising purposes. Like you tho I don't believe they sell that personal information anymore than Google does. Both say it's a prohibited practice.

Google is a Ad company, they will sell all that is you if they can, why? all revenue and profit (97%) come from Ads.

post #170 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

wow.  Google should really learn how to play nice.  If they remained happy with offering internet services they would do very well.  A Google services + Apple hardware + iOS is a dream machine.

But Google got greedy and stabbed Apple in the back with Android.  Then they buy Motorola to build phones.  Now Apple will begin taking away Google services from iOS devices one app at a time.  Its only a matter of time that Apple switches out Google search.  Bottom line is Google dipping into hardware/mobile OS platforms have not netted them any money.  In fact they are losing over a billion dollars a year on Motorola and probably tens of millions from all the iOS users leaving Google Maps.  Once Apple finds a suitable replacement for Google search or strenthens Siri's usability they will be toast. 

Instead of worring about hardware/OS Google should have concentrated on search/ads.  Now we have Facebook and Twitter coming into play.  iRadio.  Ect.  All these will be begin pealing away search dollars.

Peel away please.

post #171 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danox View Post

Google is a Ad company, they will sell all that is you if they can, why? all revenue and profit (97%) come from Ads.

Google's revenue doesn't come just from ads and no where near 97% of it. You're remembering old figures from a few years back. I think currently it's something just south of 90% now. They've been concentrating more heavily on the hardware and paid services side for some time now and I suspect it will become ever more important to them in the future. Chromecast, Google Glass, various Nexus devices, hopefully better and more creative hardware from Motorola especially outside of smartphones, Google media sales (movies/music), cloud subscriptions, paid Google services, etc.
post #172 of 218
Quote:

Good lord that would suck big time. Most people get the smaller 16GB version of iOS devices and that country wide map would fill it up a bit. As Junkmark already wrote, Apple Maps downloads a part of what you have been browsing. And if you plan a route is downloads that for offline viewing as well. Used it this summer when on holiday in France. Worked flawless.

And if I wanted to have a whole country I'd get a dedicated map app for it. I hear Tom[superscript]2[/superscript] is like $50 or something but I'm sure Nokia has something comparable as well. Don't think they'll have Transit though, that could be a big deal for some.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #173 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendip View Post

I think there's a significant number of people who still use Google maps but just don't bother to install the app. These numbers are for app usage only. I for one still use Google's mapping service but usually do it over Safari rather then the app. I installed the app after Google updated it but it still lacked a bunch of features on the web version and I thought it was clunky.

I think you're right on, and this unaccounted for variable means we really don't know what the 80% means in real-world terms... ...of course that doesn't mean we can't comment away anyway....

Quote:
...Apple will begin taking away Google services from iOS devices one app at a time.  Its only a matter of time that Apple switches out Google search.  Bottom line is Google dipping into hardware/mobile OS platforms have not netted them any money.  In fact they are losing over a billion dollars a year on Motorola and probably tens of millions from all the iOS users leaving Google Maps.  Once Apple finds a suitable replacement for Google search or strenthens Siri's usability they will be toast. 

Instead of worring about hardware/OS Google should have concentrated on search/ads.  Now we have Facebook and Twitter coming into play.  iRadio.  Ect.  All these will be begin pealing away search dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

SIRI uses Bing now.

Most Google services are in fairly to very insecure positions for the long run. There's nothing inherently unique or superior about Android, Chrome or GMail, e.g.  However, displacing Google Search is another matter altogether.  G's Search, Analytics and ads are intertwined and insinuated deeply throughout most of the internet. 

And by nearly all reports, MS - despite really a lot of work (visit once a month and you can easily see the evolution) is losing a ton in order to achieve Bing's distant second place showing (and IMO generally second-best results for my purposes). 

There's also speculation about whether MS or Yahoo will the company ending up with their shared endeavors here, although MS still seems to view search (and Bing Services) as strategic for the company at this point. 

So I just don't see Apple trying to go head to head with Google on search anytime soon.  That would take a vast long-term capital investment and many thousands (or tens of thousands) of highly skilled new staff with no guarantee of success - especially if was limited to running on Apple devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I am an iOS user and love the products and apps. but I'm still stunned by how powerfully the iOS user base is as a force.

If I were Google, I'd be ruing ever going ahead with Android. The results have got to been a net lose.

Jury's still out - depends on the time frame you examine.  I'm not interested in Android, but it's obviously improving and it's gonna be around (and dominating the low end - yet generating market share stats that analysts keep rolling out) for years to come.  How that's monetized, directly, semi-directly or indirectly by Google - and issues like Amazon's "forking" are other matters...  ...still it's undeniable that Android and Chrome have increased GOOG's total footprint in the whole digital ball of wax.... 

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #174 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

There's nothing inherently unique or superior about Android, Chrome or GMail. 

I'd say Gmail is unique. Sucks even more than the mail service from Microsoft, whom I thought to have a monopoly on crap software.
post #175 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I'd say Gmail is unique. Sucks even more than the mail service from Microsoft, whom I thought to have a monopoly on crap software.

May I ask what is wrong with Gmail. I have had Gmail for almost 8 years now and I have never had any problems with it including Spam. Same goes with my Hotmail, Yahoo or AOL account, all of them just fine. Though not sure why I still have an AOL account.

post #176 of 218
Quote:

Most Google services are in fairly to very insecure positions for the long run. There's nothing inherently unique or superior about Android, Chrome or GMail, e.g.  

Where do you get that from, Chrome now has more then 50% of the browser market and is still climbing, Gmail is the most used email service, surpassing Hotmail last year, Docs is still number one, not sure why as I prefer MS's Office online available in Skydrive. There is absolutely no data that suggests Google's web services is dwindling. Google+ maybe but that is a fairly new service and frankly people already have Facebook. I'm not sure about Drive, it's a good service though, they give out 15GB of free storage and it only costs 100 dollars a year for 200GB of storage, compared to Apples 100 dollars for only 50GB that's pretty incredible, MS now offers the same deal and frankly I find Skydrive to be the best Cloud storage out of all of them. At least here in Switzerland as they are extremely fast to upload data to. I can post a 1GB video in 15 minutes.

As far as superior, well I don't think there is anyone mobile OS that I would call master of all, they all have their weakness and strengths and I happen to like them all. Browser, I still prefer Opera, Firefox used to be my favorite but it sucks now, Chrome is pretty decent, I only use Safari on my iPad but am using Chrome more because it's cross platform. Gmail, yeah it's a free email service, there all the same to me.

Edited by Relic - 11/12/13 at 2:09pm
post #177 of 218
Quote:

But Google got greedy and stabbed Apple in the back with Android. 

Are you for real? "Stabbed Apple in the back?" This isn't some fluffy universe where there's any room for sentiment; it's business, and the mobile sector is as cut-throat as any.

Some people on this forum urgently need to be disabused of the notion that the world owes Apple a favour.

post #178 of 218
Quote:

There were claims Google wanted to but Apple put up roadblocks (too?). Some of the rumors include Apple wouldn't agree to label it as Google Maps or share the data Apple was collecting with it.. There's lots of rumors around so whatever you want to believe is as valid as anyone else's guess unless one of the players decides to comment.

Have you got any references for these claims?

post #179 of 218
Quote:

... Chromecast, Google Glass, various Nexus devices, hopefully better and more creative hardware from Motorola especially outside of smartphones, Google media sales (movies/music), cloud subscriptions, paid Google services, etc.

Arent Google and Moto separate companies? 1smile.gif
post #180 of 218
Quote:

BOOM! :lol:

post #181 of 218
Quote:

Each to his own I guess, I predominately look at programming sites and out of all the search engines Google has always found the answer to my question in the quickest and most accurate manner. I really dislike Yahoo, I would use Bing, there is this great little program for my Windows 8 tablet that searches all of the web engines including Wikipedia and custom options all at once and then sorts out the duplicates. I use that more then anything, sometimes Bing or Yahoo will come up with a result that wasn't included in Google's results but most of the time Google has what I need. Hatred for Google is a silly thing as I'm in the firm belief that ALL corporations are inherently evil. If Google had a better relationship with Apple it wouldn't be a issue here, blah, blah Google is spying on us, who isn't nowadays. I don't allow one billion dollar company to dictate the way I feel about another, if that was the case I wouldn't use Apple products because they contain Samsung components.

I use all of them to find answers to technical questions in my role as Systems Engineer. Google often comes up with very crap results weighted heavily towards those willing to pay. It's often about 2 or 3 pages in before I can get somewhere but often then it's getting further and further from the results I need.

Yahoo is not different. I hate Google not because I hate Google as a company but because their products have never really fulfilled my needs and often give me crap results. Maps is a classic example of this where maps outside of the States are a complete joke. It took Google 5 years to give me proper driving directions to my old house, 3 of those were using old maps that hadn't even been used since before Google Maps even existed as a product. Apple had a couple of hiccups but in one case I noted a missing road and it was fixed within a week.

I'm not prepared to trust something as important as driving directions to a company that is so slow to react. Yahoo might not be a better product but for my needs it's a damn good offering.

post #182 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Queue all the "Apple maps made me get lost" idiots

You mean "cue", right? 1wink.gif
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.9.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.
post #183 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Have you got any references for these claims?

Well of course. From the Wall Street Journal, June 4th of last year:

"Google executives felt Apple was unreasonable in insisting on controlling the look of the maps app and enabling only some of its features—like an "a la carte menu" where Google provided only the "back end" technology that powers it, according to a Google executive.

The two sides bickered over a Google Maps feature called Street View, which lets people see an actual photo as if they are standing in the street. Apple wanted to incorporate Street View on the iPhone just as Google already offered it for Android phones. Google initially withheld the feature, frustrating Apple executives, according to people on both sides of the debate.

Apple executives also wanted to include Google's turn-by-turn-navigation service in the iPhone—a feature popular with Android users because it lets people treat their phones as in-car GPS devices. Google wouldn't allow it, according to people on both sides. One of these people said Google viewed Apple's terms as unfair.

Google executives, meantime, also bristled at Apple's refusal to add features that would help Google. For instance, Google wanted to emphasize its brand name more prominently within the maps app. It also wanted Apple to enable its service designed to find friends nearby, dubbed Latitude, which Apple refrained from doing, said people on both sides.

Relations between Messrs. Schiller and Gundotra got tense. Jeff Huber, then a Google vice president of engineering, eventually started handling talks with Apple as Mr. Gundotra moved on to a new project within Google, people familiar with the matter said.

In 2009, Mr. Schmidt confided in colleagues his concern over the fraying relationship, one of these people said. Around that same time, Mr. Jobs decided that location services were too important for Apple to rely on a partner that was also becoming a formidable competitor, says a person familiar with the matter.

So Mr. Jobs began looking outside Apple for talent to build its own mapping technology. In 2009, Apple bought a small Los Angeles company, Placebase, that was trying to build a service like Google Maps. When the Placebase team arrived in Apple headquarters in Cupertino, they formed Apple's new "geo team"—and initially sat across the hall from Mr. Jobs."

So if the timeline is fairly accurate Apple was already putting the pieces in place to dump Google Maps from iOS even before the first multi-touch Android phone ever hit the market in 2010. (And that was because Google initially kow-towed to Mr. Jobs demands that Google not use it). Looks to me like neither Apple nor Google were good partners to each other.
post #184 of 218
Quote:

AI is populated with intelligent and college-educated people perfectly capable of understanding the financial relationship between a subsidiary and a parent company. I'd consider you to be in that category of AI members.
Edited by Gatorguy - 11/12/13 at 4:46pm
post #185 of 218
Quote:

May I ask what is wrong with Gmail. I have had Gmail for almost 8 years now and I have never had any problems with it including Spam. Same goes with my Hotmail, Yahoo or AOL account, all of them just fine. Though not sure why I still have an AOL account.

The proprietary system they brought in that works no where near as well as the Exchange Activesync they used to use and seems to be somewhere between POP and IMAP in functionality and usability.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #186 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

What evidence do you have to back up that statement? Where I live, it's virtually impossible to get a phone contract without a data plan these days.

The evidence is in almost every web or App usage study, where Android's supposed 81% market share is represented by a gaping black hole of non existence.

post #187 of 218
Quote:

So if the timeline is fairly accurate Apple was already putting the pieces in place to dump Google Maps from iOS even before the first multi-touch Android phone ever hit the market in 2010. (And that was because Google initially kow-towed to Mr. Jobs demands that Google not use it). Looks to me like neither Apple nor Google were good partners to each other.

Android phone was first released in 2008. That was the beginning of the end. If Jobs couldnt trust creepy Eric any longer, they would look elsewhere for important features such as Maps.
Quote:

AI is populated with intelligent and college-educated people perfectly capable of understanding the financial relationship between a subsidiary and a parent company. I'd consider you to be in that category of AI members.

I'm just teasing. That being said, Moto's patents have financial implications.
post #188 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

A < $20 beacon, similar to the one above, will sell in multiple billions and forever change how we interface the world around us.

Let's hope there won't be any crossover interference.

Anyway, I think it's great you're developing an app. Should you be able to finish it I can't wait to see it. Like@mdriftmeyer wrote in the Apple ][ released source code, "Without those academics with maturity behind them through life experience we'd have nothing but pissant Facebooks of the globe."
post #189 of 218
Quote:

Most Google services are in fairly to very insecure positions for the long run. There's nothing inherently unique or superior about Android, Chrome or GMail, e.g.  

Quote:

Where do you get that from, Chrome now has more then 50% of the browser market and is still climbing, Gmail is the most used email service, surpassing Hotmail last year, Docs is still number one, not sure why as I prefer MS's Office online available in Skydrive. There is absolutely no data that suggests Google's web services is dwindling. Google+ maybe but that is a fairly new service and frankly people already have Facebook. I'm not sure about Drive, it's a good service though, they give out 15GB of free storage and it only costs 100 dollars a year for 200GB of storage, compared to Apples 100 dollars for only 50GB that's pretty incredible, MS now offers the same deal and frankly I find Skydrive to be the best Cloud storage out of all of them. At least here in Switzerland as they are extremely fast to upload data to. I can post a 1GB video in 15 minutes.

As far as superior, well I don't think there is anyone mobile OS that I would call master of all, they all have their weakness and strengths and I happen to like them all. Browser, I still prefer Opera, Firefox used to be my favorite but it sucks now, Chrome is pretty decent, I only use Safari on my iPad but am using Chrome more because it's cross platform. Gmail, yeah it's a free email service, there all the same to me.

FTR, I could have made my point more clearly.  I meant these services aren't immune to being overtaken - compared to search - in terms of barrier to entry from new or old competitors with refreshed tech.  Just like Chrome (as you pointed out) came out of nowhere and grabbed the lion's share, in mobile Apple's Safari on iOS is only 6 (?) years old and has a huge share of mobile web traffic. 

So a new take can sweep in again more easily in these areas by far than any company trying to even match the juggernaut, team and depth of experience of the world's #1 search engine for many years.  Take GMail: I send as much electronic communication via facebook - more actually - than I do on GMail these days, 'cos there are some advantages. So whatever its share, people are using social nets like Twitter and fb and iMessage, etc. and email's starting to look just a little like CB radio. 

And Chrome OS is trying to disrupt a market that's either mostly static or entering a period of slow long-term decline. 

Also (not conventional wisdom), I think Win Phone is actually good enough to likely to carve away some sales from Android (more than from Apple). They're now #2 in some major European countries (ahead of Apple) where Nokia has long been better established, and IT just likes 'em.  So chance if they don't mess up the interesting phone unit they're acquiring, speed up the pace on iterating the OS, and garner the right 3rd party apps on both phones and other devices.

Which is another example of how dominance can be fragile even after many years. MS's failure to provide a good mobile solution for Office - or even a version on its on flagship PC's to validate "big Win 8's" reason for existing - is allowing all kinds of competition to pop up as Office's apps become commodities. 

So however high Google's riding in these areas at the moment, they're vulnerable in 'em, while OTOH, I just think Apple's about as likely to take on Google in search as some company (even a wealthy and clever one) is likely to launch a domestic competitor to Boeing Aircraft from scratch. 

Edited by bigpics - 11/13/13 at 8:20am

post #190 of 218
Quote:

May I ask what is wrong with Gmail.

They discontinued push email, now only available to paid customers. Normally a company goes about this stuff the other way, a paid service becoming free.

Labels, no folders, the design from hell. Elderly, or children, myself, cannot comprehend this concept, as everything in computerland is organised in folders. The filesystem, mail, music, photos…

Spam filter…just doesn’t work. It really doesn’t check domain names to see if they’re authentic, well-established firms. To think it is useful to mark mail as spam because another Gmail users tagged it as spam is, well, dumb.

Doesn’t load images in html email.

And I think they scan your emails for keywords to create ‘useful advertisements’, just like Yahoo. Erm, no thanks.

Display density? Doesn’t the Gmail team have anything better to do? And if not, don’t do anything, instead of creating utter useless crap.

Compose new email window…with a toolbar at the bottom. Well, it’s new, gotta hand it to them for that one. “It’s a window Jim, but not as we know it”

'Chat spam' beneath my ‘labels’, many people want to Chat with me, since I don't know them, shouldn’t they be in my spam folder, nee, label?

And I think their April Fools' Day jokes are misplaced.

Can't send an .exe attachment, even when compressed. If they scan peoples mail anyway, they ought to understand why to sysadmins are sending .exe files to each other.

Gmail. "The only mail service with no legitimate expectation of privacy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Queue all the "Apple maps made me get lost" idiots

You mean "cue", right? 1wink.gif

Touché
post #191 of 218
Quote:

That's funny, because on the desktop IE also has more than 50% and Firefox more than 20 %. The browser Market is the best market. Everyone can have more than 50%.

On mobile, chrome has even less than the 20 % they have on the desktop.
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

As always lots of stats and pretty pie charts for whatever point of view suits your fancy.
post #192 of 218
I get it MacAir. You found a chart that perfectly fits your view which makes it the one and only legitimate source for any share numbers. Any data/statistics from other sources must be manipulated because it doesn't fit with your preferences. Therefor anything other than your favored source should be completely ignored and has zero relevance or legitimacy.

Fair enough
post #193 of 218
Quote:

Did you even take a look at those images? The link you shared isn't about global browser marketshare, it's about traffic in a particular site/sites.

Every single reliable source about browser market share is similar/equal to the link I posted. Then, if that wasn't enough, I posted a screenshot about the recent results of the search in question.

Not only is chrome below 20 and IE above 50, as IE's share has been growing lately, in contrast with chrome's. Since the Mac keeps outgrowing the PC industry most of the time, it is safe to assume the following:

Chrome is losing importance. People don't see it as necessary. At least that's the recent tendency, but I think that it is too soon to tell. But the fact is:

- Your view is totally wrong. 
And what view would that be? I believe you've missed the point entirely. While I thought it was clear the first time I've noted your mention that English isn't your first language so I'll re-word it.

In general we can all find a stat or a page or a blog that agrees with whatever we prefer to believe. In this particular case there's claims that IE is the world's most used browser and there's sources that back that up. There's claims that Chrome is the world's fastest growing browser and stats that back that up. There's claims that IE browser share is falling year over year and sources that back that up. There's claims Chrome is used more than IE and sources that back that up. There's claims that agree with yours and sources to back it up. There's claims that agree with Relic and sources to back it up.....

...and on and on and on. They're all "proven facts" if you want to believe they are. I don't care what your native language is, statistics can lie in all of them. As usual the truth is out there somewhere but it ain't easy finding it..

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
http://www.techspot.com/news/53166-statcounter-google-chrome-is-dominating-the-browser-industry.html
Note that according to the above two oft-referenced organizations not "every single reliable source" agrees with your claims. Even further I can't seem to find any other stat sources coming up with approximately the same numbers as yours. Don't be so quick to tag everyone who disagrees with you "totally wrong".
Edited by Gatorguy - 11/13/13 at 5:13am
post #194 of 218
Quote:

They discontinued push email, now only available to paid customers. Normally a company goes about this stuff the other way, a paid service becoming free.

Labels, no folders, the design from hell. Elderly, or children, myself, cannot comprehend this concept, as everything in computerland is organised in folders. The filesystem, mail, music, photos…

Aren't Gmail labels similar in function to the new finder tags in Mavericks, which have been hailed by some as the future of file management? Traditional folders are a supposedly a thing of the past.

It makes financial sense for google to restrict push email to paid customers because it pays licensing fees to use Microsoft Activesync. 

Edited by d4NjvRzf - 11/13/13 at 4:47am
post #195 of 218
Quote:

Spam filter…just doesn’t work. It really doesn’t check domain names to see if they’re authentic, well-established firms. To think it is useful to mark mail as spam because another Gmail users tagged it as spam is, well, dumb.

Doesn’t load images in html email.

And I think they scan your emails for keywords to create ‘useful advertisements’, just like Yahoo. Erm, no thanks.

Display density? Doesn’t the Gmail team have anything better to do? And if not, don’t do anything, instead of creating utter useless crap.

Compose new email window…with a toolbar at the bottom. Well, it’s new, gotta hand it to them for that one. “It’s a window Jim, but not as we know it”

'Chat spam' beneath my ‘labels’, many people want to Chat with me, since I don't know them, shouldn’t they be in my spam folder, nee, label?

And I think their April Fools' Day jokes are misplaced.

Can't send an .exe attachment, even when compressed. If they scan peoples mail anyway, they ought to understand why to sysadmins are sending .exe files to each other.

Gmail. "The only mail service with no legitimate expectation of privacy".
Touché

Yea fair enough I understand your frustrations. I don't mind Labels, they work the same as folders so. The push mail thing doesn't bother me as I would never, ever use Gmail or any other free email service for business and I don't think you would and I don't think you either,  would, so who really cares. The Picture thing is a pain though but if you use the gmail.com interface it shows them just fine.  Gmail is apparently protecting users by not displaying graphics from individual senders unless we choose to, either for the email in question, or always from that user. There should be a per email option to view images like every other email client. Google says their going to fix it, we will have to see.

The other problem is that there is no way to make that choice on the new interface. What I did was to choose the "Desktop" view link at the bottom of the Inbox on the new interface.  Once there, if I select the email for which the graphics are not displaying, and then select the "Always display graphics from....." link, then return back to the new interface, it will show the graphics. You have to select I trust the source sender basically.

I have never seen this chat spam before, maybe you are just a very popular, lovable person.  Do you use your Google username to chat in public rooms? The only people in my chat list are the ones I've chosen to talk with, i.e. friends and family.

To me Google is no better then any other free email service out their, I use Gmail mostly for forums and acquaintances I meet on the Internet. I personally have been using Microsoft's cloud services and email a lot more lately because I have a Nokia 1020 and a Thinkpad Tablet 2. That and I really, really like Skydrive, I think it's the best cloud solution available. Skydrive also contains a online Office interface for Word, Excel, Powerpoint and One Note which works quite well with my iPad, so much so that when in full screen you couldn't;t tell it was a web app and not a compiled one. It's the same interface they use for Office 360 but free if you use Skydrive. I also pay for the 200GB storage option, which isn't a bad deal at 100 dollars a year. I was actually torn between using Skydrive and Box for a while as Box gave me a free 50GB account a year back and they have this incredible 1GB option for only 180 dollars a year. In the end though I went with Skydrive because of the speed at which I can access my files and upload. I'm not sure if it's Microsoft has a bigger presence in Switzerland then the other services but it screams, I can upload a 1GB film in under 15 minutes, I do have a fiber connection, 100Mbits Down, 10Mbits up but Dropbox, Box and iCloud took 10x longer on the same connection. The new mail interface for WIndows 8 mobile is a pretty decent mail app, nothing special but it works for me, so I receive all of my emails accounts including Google, Yahoo, Mail and Apple through my phone. I prefer using my Nokia 1020 over say my iPad because I can access my Skydrive in the mail client, as  I store all of my files on it, it's kind of a must have feature.

Since I'm currently in the hospital the kids have been uploading movies to my Skydrive account as well and what's great is, the Skydrive app for my iPad can stream those movies without having to download them, pretty awesome. Apple will probably never offer a feature like that because they expect you to use iTunes for that, same reason why their codec selection is so sparse, which is perfectly fine it's their prerogative. We have an extensive DVD and Blueray collection which the kids have ripped into MP4's and DIVX and the ease at which they can upload them to my Skydrive storage it only strengthened my decision to go with them. 

Sorry about going off of a tangent like that, I think I'm just lonely lying here, talking helps, even if it's to my computer. I'm using voice dictation because typing, even on a virtual keyboard actually tires me out, anyway you should see the looks people give me when they walk passed my room, who is that lady talking too. Poor thing she's delusional, of course my response of, "oh I'm just talking to my computer", doesn't really help my case much, as you can well imagine.

Thanks for listening,

Bye

post #196 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Aren't Gmail labels similar in function to the new finder tags in Mavericks, which have been hailed by some as the future of file management? Traditional folders are a supposedly a thing of the past.

It makes financial sense for google to restrict push email to paid customers because it pays licensing fees to use Microsoft Activesync. 

All true but I don't think Phil uses Gmail anymore so it really doesn't matter. We all have our apps and Internet services that were set on and it's only natural to call everything else crap, especially if it's made by Google. Though I too have been moving away from Google services, not because I think they're an evil corporation, I feel the same way about Google as I do Apple and I defiantly don't put any company upon a pedestal, no I'm moving away because for the first time in a while there are actually better web services to be had. Except for Google Search, I am yet to find a decent alternative and personally not looking for one either as it still does a good job for me.

Edited by Relic - 11/13/13 at 5:12am
post #197 of 218
Quote:

That's funny, because on the desktop IE also has more than 50% and Firefox more than 20 %. The browser Market is the best market. Everyone can have more than 50%.

On mobile, chrome has even less than the 20 % they have on the desktop.

Where did you get those numbers from -> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

These numbers change constantly because people use multiple browsers nowadays, here are some real time percentages -> http://percentoftheinternet.com/ and this one -> http://gs.statcounter.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

Edited by Relic - 11/13/13 at 5:16am
post #198 of 218
Quote:

Where did you get those numbers from -> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

These numbers change constantly, here are real time percentages -> http://percentoftheinternet.com/ and this one -> http://gs.statcounter.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

Never seen that last one before. Cool!
post #199 of 218
Quote:

More used? Chrome. Most users? IE by far.
typical tech blog reader): Most likely to use chrome.
Others: IE.

Well there you go, just as I said and you found out for yourself when you went looking. Stats for every purpose and proving every viewpoint.
post #200 of 218
Quote:

Market share is dominated by IE. Only recent 2013 links.

Gosh I hate IE too, what a worthless piece of crap browser. Their mobile and Metro version is okay but why do people continue to use it on theridesktop is beyond me. Especially when there are so many better ones available.

Edited by Relic - 11/13/13 at 8:27am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple Maps took around 80 percent of Google Maps' iOS traffic in one year
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple Maps took around 80 percent of Google Maps' iOS traffic in one year