or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple Maps took around 80 percent of Google Maps' iOS traffic in one year

Apple Maps took around 80 percent of Google Maps' iOS traffic in one year - Page 6

post #201 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

They discontinued push email, now only available to paid customers. Normally a company goes about this stuff the other way, a paid service becoming free.

Labels, no folders, the design from hell. Elderly, or children, myself, cannot comprehend this concept, as everything in computerland is organised in folders. The filesystem, mail, music, photos…

Spam filter…just doesn’t work. It really doesn’t check domain names to see if they’re authentic, well-established firms. To think it is useful to mark mail as spam because another Gmail users tagged it as spam is, well, dumb.

Doesn’t load images in html email.

And I think they scan your emails for keywords to create ‘useful advertisements’, just like Yahoo. Erm, no thanks.

Display density? Doesn’t the Gmail team have anything better to do? And if not, don’t do anything, instead of creating utter useless crap.

Compose new email window…with a toolbar at the bottom. Well, it’s new, gotta hand it to them for that one. “It’s a window Jim, but not as we know it”

'Chat spam' beneath my ‘labels’, many people want to Chat with me, since I don't know them, shouldn’t they be in my spam folder, nee, label?

And I think their April Fools' Day jokes are misplaced.

Can't send an .exe attachment, even when compressed. If they scan peoples mail anyway, they ought to understand why to sysadmins are sending .exe files to each other.

Gmail. "The only mail service with no legitimate expectation of privacy".
Touché

Other than that, how'd you like the play, Mrs Lincoln?
post #202 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAir View Post

They are not for every purpose. The message is clear:

Usage? Chrome.
Market share? IE.

in both, IE goes up, chrome flat or down.

Geez, you really don't understand anything I said do you. I realize you believe what you believe and have sources to back you up. Others might believe what they want, and they too have sources to back up what they believe. Claiming anyone leaning either way is "totally wrong" as you did is, well, totally wrong. And just to be clear I've not come down on either side. Chrome may be rising, or falling. IE may lead in market share, or not, and even that depends on how you're defining "market share". The point I've tried to make (unsuccessfully it seems) is there's not any crystal clear irrefutable proof for your assertions or Relics. The truth may belong to you or her or more likely exist somewhere in the middle. Even today's supposed facts can turn into fiction tomorrow.

Of course you're free to believe what you want based on what sources you've chosen to accept and definitions you've chosen to use. Heck, you don't have to have any evidence at all, just go by pure emotion. That doesn't prove anyone else "totally wrong". Would you settle for maybe a little wrong, but a little right? 1wink.gif
Edited by Gatorguy - 11/13/13 at 8:53am
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #203 of 218
You should put that in your sig ¡
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #204 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

Aren't Gmail labels similar in function to the new finder tags in Mavericks, which have been hailed by some as the future of file management? Traditional folders are a supposedly a thing of the past.

That's an add-on and can be ignored as we still have a hierarchical filesystem.
post #205 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Geez, you really don't understand anything I said do you. I realize you believe what you believe and have sources to back you up. Others might believe what they want, and they too have sources to back up what they believe. Claiming anyone leaning either way is "totally wrong" as you did is, well, totally wrong. And just to be clear I've not come down on either side. Chrome may be rising, or falling. IE may lead in market share, or not, and even that depends on how you're defining "market share". The point I've tried to make (unsuccessfully it seems) is there's not any crystal clear irrefutable proof for your assertions or Relics. The truth may belong to you or her or more likely exist somewhere in the middle. Even today's supposed facts can turn into fiction tomorrow.

Of course you're free to believe what you want based on what sources you've chosen to accept and definitions you've chosen to use. Heck, you don't have to have any evidence at all, just go by pure emotion. That doesn't prove anyone else "totally wrong". Would you settle for maybe a little wrong, but a little right? 1wink.gif

IE sucks prove me wrong, hehehehe.

Luv yea!

Why did Apple stop producing Safari for Windows?

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #206 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I don't mind Labels, they work the same as folders so.

Fair enough, I just get a lot of questions as I'm the nerd amongst friends and family and tell them that, yet they still cannot 'make the mental switch'. Or something.
Quote:
The push mail thing doesn't bother me as I would never, ever use Gmail or any other free email service for business and I don't think you would and I don't think you either,  would, so who really cares.

True. Besides, I already have push mail from Apple. Which just reminds me: I used to pay for it, but now it's free. That's the opposite of push email from Gmail.
Quote:
The Picture thing is a pain though but if you use the gmail.com interface it shows them just fine.

Funny that, I see the pictures load on OSX Mail.app but not on gmail.com.
Quote:
I have never seen this chat spam before, maybe you are just a very popular, lovable person.  Do you use your Google username to chat in public rooms?

You're being very kind, but nope, not popular. Or at least not in Gmail, as I hardly use it. Like you, I use it for forums, like this site, though I have moved that to some obscure mail service in China, free, and I don't need to send mails from this account anyway. But yeah, the 'Chat requests' in the left hand column is really weird, but I only see it on gmail.com, where I never actually goto, so no issue.
Quote:
MS Cloud info

They seem to be the cheapest, and if you can upload movies and all that's great. Certainly not something I'd expect Apple to allow.
Quote:
1GB film in under 15 minutes, I do have a fiber connection, 100Mbits Down, 10Mbits

You you you, lucky you. I'm still on old school DSL, sold as 4 down, 2 up and getting 2.3Mb/1Mb. Couple of months ago they did put fiber in the ground, the whole area, slowly doing the whole city. Well, whole, it's not even half a million residents. Just don't know how long it takes for them to be able to offer it.
Quote:
Sorry about going off of a tangent like that, I think I'm just lonely lying here, talking helps, even if it's to my computer. I'm using voice dictation because typing, even on a virtual keyboard actually tires me out, anyway you should see the looks people give me when they walk passed my room, who is that lady talking too. Poor thing she's delusional, of course my response of, "oh I'm just talking to my computer", doesn't really help my case much, as you can well imagine.

Thanks for listening,

Bye

No no, don't be sorry. I like your stories, feel for you, like your humor, appreciate your technical posts and all. So, talk away, no matter what hospital visitors and doctors say. Here, or in your remission thread.
post #207 of 218
Quote:

IE sucks prove me wrong, hehehehe.

Luv yea!

Why did Apple stop producing Safari for Windows?

Windows sucks. Seriously, Safari wasn't gaining any ground on Windows. Pulling the plug was cheaper than continue developing safari for windows. Besides, what did Apple really gain from it?
post #208 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Windows sucks. Seriously, Safari wasn't gaining any ground on Windows. Pulling the plug was cheaper than continue developing safari for windows. Besides, what did Apple really gain from it?

That makes sense, I liked it though, maybe I can convince Apple to give me the source code so I can start a sourceforge project. OpenSafari, available on all platforms including BeOS, SkyOS, Amiga, etc. why (just because I happen to run them in a virtual machine), she'll go every which way, sluttiest browser ever, with Siri like voice commands, dominatrix personality module is a separate download. I use Opera and Chrome now, mostly Chrome because it's available on every platform. I like it when I get up from my computer and continue where I left off on my iPad. I know it's the same deal with Safari but I have so many different computer platforms it's nice to have at least one constant. So it's Chrome and Skydrive, available on everything except maybe QNX, I don't know haven't checked.

post #209 of 218
Quote:

Since I'm currently in the hospital the kids have been uploading movies to my Skydrive account as well and what's great is, the Skydrive app for my iPad can stream those movies without having to download them, pretty awesome. Apple will probably never offer a feature like that because they expect you to use iTunes for that, same reason why their codec selection is so sparse, which is perfectly fine it's their prerogative. We have an extensive DVD and Blueray collection which the kids have ripped into MP4's and DIVX and the ease at which they can upload them to my Skydrive storage it only strengthened my decision to go with them. 

This is using the built in features of iOS and has always been there, I used to do the same with my old iDisk when it was part of MobileMe.

This idea that people are restricted to iTunes purchases with Apple devices is a furphy, since day one of iTunes (the software) content has been able to be imported into your library from any source a user cared to use.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #210 of 218
Quote:

No no, don't be sorry. I like your stories, feel for you, like your humor, appreciate your technical posts and all. So, talk away, no matter what hospital visitors and doctors say. Here, or in your remission thread.

I wish my last name was Boogie, just so I could here my name being called out at a restraunt, "Boogie a party of 4", "Boogie a party of 4", then of course I would push play on my Casio CK-200 single cassette BoomBox with the built in keyboard on top in case I need to go into a solo from the bridge section of Harold Faltermeyer's Axel F,  that I aquired after a heated bidding war on eBay with the user wheresthebeef84 who coincidently was the jerk who outbid me days early for a semi-mint condition Teddy Ruxpin, mint except for a stuck copy of Eddie Murphy's RAW, ..............  busting out the soundtrack to, "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo".

Thank you so much for your kind words, I love English, funny language.

post #211 of 218
Quote:

Quote:

I wish my last name was Boogie, just so I could here my name being called out at a restraunt, "Boogie a party of 4", "Boogie a party of 4", then of course I would push play on my Casio CK-200 single cassette BoomBox with the built in keyboard on top in case I need to go into a solo from the bridge section of Harold Faltermeyer's Axel F,  that I aquired after a heated bidding war on eBay with the user wheresthebeef84 who coincidently was the jerk who outbid me days early for a semi-mint condition Teddy Ruxpin, mint except for a stuck copy of Eddie Murphy's RAW, ..............  busting out the soundtrack to, "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo".

Thank you so much for your kind words, I love English, funny language.

"Boogie a party of 4", "Boogie a party of 4"... Now, that's funny!

As one of my dumber purchases, i bought an Apple iPod HiFi Boom Box.

But it more than paid for itself on one occasion:

A few years ago. the neighbor over our back fence organized an amateur band and they would rehearse every night from about 5:30 to about 10:30. They only new one song -- and played it badly, but loudly, over and over and over....

Despite several polite requests from me and nearby neighbors -- this continued for about a week -- ruining otherwise beautiful warm spring evenings. At the end of my patience I checked with the neighbors, took the boom box out to the back patio, cranked up the volume to the max on a March I downloaded from iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/not-sousa-great-marches-not/id191950071

Number #1 National Emblem

I let this go for a couple of choruses, then turned it off.... Crickets... Blessed Silence.

"Oh, the monkey wrapped his tail around the flagpole, and let the wind blow..."
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #212 of 218
Quote:

Gosh I hate IE too, what a worthless piece of crap browser. Their mobile and Metro version is okay but why do people continue to use it on theridesktop is beyond me. Especially when there are so many better ones available.

I've always used firefox, but lately it's really buggy with flash. If I switched browsers, it would be Chrome. I hate IE, and I don't care for Safari.

post #213 of 218
"wheresthebeef84"

"Boogie a party of 4", "Boogie a party of 4"

Too funny!

"I love English, funny language"

Not as funny as you.

All off topic, but for the right reasons.
post #214 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I've always used firefox, but lately it's really buggy with flash. If I switched browsers, it would be Chrome. I hate IE, and I don't care for Safari.

I used to use nothing but Firefox, the last few versions though have been nothing short of garbage. I have never seen a browser freeze so often, even with just 5 tabs opened. I know the hatred for Google is strong here but Chrome is really the best browser, even on my iPad I prefer it. I use Opera on Windows 8 tablet, they have a beta version for Metro that's pretty great.

post #215 of 218
Quote:

I used to use nothing but Firefox, the last few versions though have been nothing short of garbage. I have never seen a browser freeze so often, even with just 5 tabs opened. I know the hatred for Google is strong here but Chrome is really the best browser, even on my iPad I prefer it. I use Opera on Windows 8 tablet, they have a beta version for Metro that's pretty great.

I have chrome installed. As far as I can recall a couple things didn't work properly and I returned to Firefox. It does use too much memory.

post #216 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

I have chrome installed. As far as I can recall a couple things didn't work properly and I returned to Firefox. It does use too much memory.

It is a memory hog when compared to other browsers but it has the most efficient memory management of them all. Does memory really matter, every device I own has more then enough memory except well maybe for my iPad, it still blows my mind that Apple considers 1GB as acceptable nowadays. Great CPU though, wow is it fast.

post #217 of 218
Quote:

Firefox is also the last remaining major browser to not run each tab in its own process, so one misbehaving tab can take down all the others.

post #218 of 218
Quote:

It is a memory hog when compared to other browsers but it has the most efficient memory management of them all. Does memory really matter, every device I own has more then enough memory except well maybe for my iPad, it still blows my mind that Apple considers 1GB as acceptable nowadays. Great CPU though, wow is it fast.

I work with a large variety of stuff, and sometimes run into fairly extreme pageouts. Even my notebook can handle a lot of this stuff when it comes to cpu brunt, yet it doesn't like to release ram. Once Mavericks stabilizes I'll try that. I'm on Lion at the moment. Xcode 5 doesn't seem ready yet, so I'm not that worried.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple Maps took around 80 percent of Google Maps' iOS traffic in one year
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple Maps took around 80 percent of Google Maps' iOS traffic in one year