or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple Maps took around 80 percent of Google Maps' iOS traffic in one year

Apple Maps took around 80 percent of Google Maps' iOS traffic in one year - Page 3

post #81 of 218
I've stopped using anything that has to do with google since 2008! And, I didn't die!

Try it and see for yourself.

Here's to a world without google...

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Inside Google! 

post #82 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Why provide links?

You think I’m silly enough...?

I don't know you personally. There's probably some members who think you do OK here but in person I have no idea how silly you can be. 1wink.gif
Edited by Gatorguy - 11/11/13 at 2:35pm
melior diabolus quem scies
post #83 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Why provide links?

Because you offered too?  :shrug:

post #84 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Because you offered too?  :shrug:

I offered to provide a link to a person’s ability to remember.

I understand you may have missed it, but that’s sarcasm.

;)

If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
If you're going to be original, then you can count on being copied.
post #85 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I used Apple Maps probably twice in the last year, both times I found the features sparse. So after this article I fired it up, looks really nice on the iPad Air but is still missing public transportation like bus lines and trains. A feature I use quite a bit when traveling. You just click on the little bus icon and it gives the times or you can search. Now that I have a Nokia 1020, Nokia Maps is defiantly the better of the three, transit, traffic, good restaurants connected to Yelp, best turn by turn NAV I have ever seen yet on a map program, places of interest around you, the app is also connected to your photo library so you can see where all of your photos were taken, you can add favorite places marked by thumb pins and shows your photos if you have any. Which is cool if you want a friend to take a certain route and see some of the sites, your friend will be able to see your photos as well and he can even add his own? I know there are apps for 360 moveable photos but the Nokia comes with a app and it is fantastic for this purpose. The list of features goes on but the question is, is Apple Maps just limited because I live in Switzerland. What do you guys see in America?

As the article mentioned, Apple has acquired several companies that provide transit services.

It is interesting that Nokia, while selling its Devices and Services business to Microsoft -- it has retained its Mapping Services.

There is no reason that Apple couldn't contract back-end Mapping Services and Transit Services from Nokia.

Nokia owns Navteq, who provides Street View and Indoor Mapping services -- these, too, could be contracted by Apple to further flesh out Apple Maps.

At first, Nokia's Indoor Mapping Service appears to conflict with Apple's acquisition of WiFiSlam... But, it really doesn't. WiFiSlam doesn't actually provide indoor maps -- rather it assumes they exist. WiFiSlam provides a means of accurate indoor navigation and tracking.

Had Google contained their greed, they could have provided all these back-end services to Apple.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
post #86 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

lol.gif
I'm not aware of any reliable sources supporting assertions that Google chose to "drag it's heels" or "ration updates" to Apple users, tho it's not hard to find opinions on either side. If ya got some links proving who dunnit feel free to share 'em tho.

Philosophy seems more your style than mine tho I've heard there's quotes for every occasion. So whatever your viewpoint there's probably something out there that serves your purpose. If not your're a witty guy so I'm sure you can come up with something that's good for a funny distraction if nothing else.1smile.gif

Turn by turn directions on Android 2.0 (2009).

No turn by turn directions on iOS from Google until after Apple Maps (Google Maps app 2012).

I don't think I need supporting sources for the assertion that Google chose to drag it's heels...

post #87 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendip View Post

Turn by turn directions on Android 2.0 (2009).
No turn by turn directions on iOS from Google until after Apple Maps (Google Maps app 2012).

I don't think I need supporting sources for the assertion that Google chose to drag it's heels...

There were claims Google wanted to but Apple put up roadblocks (too?). Some of the rumors include Apple wouldn't agree to label it as Google Maps or share the data Apple was collecting with it.. There's lots of rumors around so whatever you want to believe is as valid as anyone else's guess unless one of the players decides to comment.
post #88 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quote:

That's the way I see it too. Google was going to be dumped at some point no matter how much they cow-towed to Apple.

Kow-towed?

Like saying. Oh sorry, we forgot to give your iOS users turn-by-turn, and Of course, sorry, we won't track your users anymore and compile their search histories so we can sell them out to our advertisers. That kind of kow-towing?

Kow-Toad?

Apple wrote the original Apple Maps that used Google data as a back-end. I don't believe that Apple ever provided any information to Google that could be used for tracking or compiling search histories -- except on an aggregate level: e.g. 100 users are looking for directions from Albany to Poughkeepsie.

That level of information allows Google to refine its product and services, while, at the same time, allows Apple to protect the privacy and autonomy of its users.

Now I must get back to work... I am writing a iOS navigation app using iBeacons...

I dropped one of my beacons, and I can't find it... Sigh?
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #89 of 218
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by focher View Post

I live in reality. That describes all companies. However, the ones with no other revenue model other than selling my personal information are not very interesting to me.

At first you said Apple doesn't sell personal info, but I'm glad to see you came around to admit that they do.  It's a common misnomer around these parts that they don't.

I don't believe that Apple collects or sells "personal info" on an individual basis. They do, however, compile aggregate totals which they use to sell advertising, assist developers.

For example, Apple saves data (for accounting and customer history) that says:

DroidFTW visited the App store on this date and bought these apps...

But, what it uses to sell ads and help developers is:

In the Month of October, 2013, 5,000 different visitors visited the App store between 5:00 and 6:00 PST. During this time the apps reviewed were..... and the apps purchased were....
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #90 of 218
When I search for Hillsdale, NY Maps only finds Hillsdale, NJ. That's a problem.
post #91 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I don't believe that Apple collects or sells "personal info" on an individual basis.

I believe Apple does collect personal information, and Apple themselves say they do right there in their privacy policy (that few ever bother to read). They even say they may use it for advertising purposes. Like you tho I don't believe they sell that personal information anymore than Google does. Both say it's a prohibited practice.
post #92 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by decponstruction View Post

When I search for Hillsdale, NY Maps only finds Hillsdale, NJ. That's a problem.

A problem you've reported?

post #93 of 218
I guess they prematurely fired the maps guy....
post #94 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

I've stopped using anything that has to do with google since 2008! And, I didn't die!

not so fast tiger. You still need google for search. However duck duck go should be made an option.
post #95 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

not so fast tiger. You still need google for search. However duck duck go should be made an option.
I use Bing, are you claiming they are not a search engine without Google? 1confused.gif
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #96 of 218

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

It's not really about profit. It's about controlling the experience, being masters of their own fate, and not relying on their biggest competitor for one of their most important apps. Now that Apple has maps in house, the possibilities of how they can extend and expand it within its own ecosystem are endless. If they stayed with Google, there would have so many political, and technical obstacles to doing what they really wanted to do and having deep integration with their own services. They had no choice.  

Quote:

That's the way I see it too. Google was going to be dumped at some point no matter how much they cow-towed to Apple.

What short memories everyone seems to have!  Remember Google denying pre version 6 iOS access to turn-by-turn navigation, Street View and playing hard-ball by insisting on greater access to user details? Who was kow-towing to whom?

post #97 of 218
Quote:

SIRI uses Bing now.
Yes and Bing is shit.
post #98 of 218
Quote:

As the article mentioned, Apple has acquired several companies that provide transit services.

It is interesting that Nokia, while selling its Devices and Services business to Microsoft -- it has retained its Mapping Services.

There is no reason that Apple couldn't contract back-end Mapping Services and Transit Services from Nokia.

Nokia owns Navteq, who provides Street View and Indoor Mapping services -- these, too, could be contracted by Apple to further flesh out Apple Maps.

At first, Nokia's Indoor Mapping Service appears to conflict with Apple's acquisition of WiFiSlam... But, it really doesn't. WiFiSlam doesn't actually provide indoor maps -- rather it assumes they exist. WiFiSlam provides a means of accurate indoor navigation and tracking.

Had Google contained their greed, they could have provided all these back-end services to Apple.

Thanks for the info, I was really currios. Everyone here is praising Apple Maps but on my iPad it's a pretty plain app and defiantly not my first choice, nespecially when compared to Nokia Maps and Google Maps. That's great news that they have acquired the necessary companies to make it a better competing product because as of right now Google Maps is the better service but I think Apple Maps looks and performs better and would prefer to use it. I think Microsoft will just dump Bing Maps as it's no different then Apples offering in terms oh features, Nokia is defiantly the way to go, it's a really good mapping service.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #99 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaba View Post

Yes and Bing is shit.

Agreed, I am so happy my Nokia allows you to change the default search engine to Google. Bing just sucks so bad, it misses so many results that MS should really be ashamed of themselves. You guys can all hate Google as much as you want but one thing for sure they know how to make a search engine. Apple should dump it.

post #100 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

What short memories everyone seems to have!  Remember Google denying pre version 6 iOS access to turn-by-turn navigation, Street View and playing hard-ball by insisting on greater access to user details? Who was kow-towing to whom?

...and what iOS apps are available for Android, let's see, none. You know iTunes, iPhotos, Pages, Numbers, ect, would be well received on that platform.  Apple allows Facebook on their platform and that access's your contacts. I personally wouldn't allow that app anywhere near any platform.

post #101 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I use Bing, are you claiming they are not a search engine without Google? 1confused.gif

They are just not in the same league as Google, I say their worst then Yahoo Altavista, probably in the same league as Lycos.

post #102 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Believe me, if I can, everyone can!

Duck Duck Go is my primary one and one of many options. Bing is also your friend... 1wink.gif

Search for Google alternatives .... Sooooo many to choose to live google free!

Inside Google! 

Inside Google! 

post #103 of 218
Neither Google or Apple maps works well in China because they have inadequate server infrastructure and the apps have to lad too much data before maps display.

So most Chinese users of iOS and Android use BaiDu Maps, which load in about 2 seconds or less even in areas with EDGE instead of 3G or LTE service, have complete mass transit and traffic info and a big user base to draw data from.

In terms of market share, iOS trails Android by a wide margin in China yet still has high mindshare. If Apple was really serious about expanding Chinese market, they could take the opportunity to develop Maps and other service apps for China and push that hard because Google tripped over its own feet when they left China and as the market reaches saturation, they face a downside.

But I seriously doubt that will happen. Despite all the noise, Apple still has done the bare minimum to integrate iOS for the Chinese market that is of practical value to users. It has excellent Chinese input and the devices are as good as ever, but we just don't get much love from Apple on software and services so remain 2nd class citizens.

Listen up, Tim. Apple is under-performing here and missing an opportunity to trump Google.
post #104 of 218
Quote:

You can opt-out of receiving targeted ads tho it's hardly made obvious and Apple's default is targeted ads anyway which most users won't ever change "just because". How do you opt-out of user data collection in the first place, or opt-out of Apple using it for whatever purpose they deem important as long as it's not shared outside of Apple in a personally identifiable form? For that matter how do you find out what Apple has stored about you?

As far as I can tell both Apple and Google treat personal and non-personal information in the same way, tho Google is more transparent about it. Do you have something that shows otherwise?

Defending Google until your dying breath. That's sweet. In reality Giigle has more info about you than you realize.
post #105 of 218

Lesson : Don't be a cultural bigot, jerk.

post #106 of 218
Quote:

They are just not in the same league as Google, I say their worst then Yahoo Altavista, probably in the same league as Lycos.
Hey, she's awake. At least 15 minutes ago. I switched the default search engine on my iPad's Safari to Bing a few weeks ago just to give it a fair chance. I must agree with you—it misses a lot of results that Google catches. Also seems to have more junk at the top. Will probably be switching back to Google soon, as much as I dislike them they do have search in the bag.

As for Apple maps, I have had very few problems. Even navigated us through some wild parts of New Zealand recently without a hitch. Haven't missed Google Maps at all.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #107 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao-zhi View Post

Neither Google or Apple maps works well in China because they have inadequate server infrastructure and the apps have to lad too much data before maps display.

So most Chinese users of iOS and Android use BaiDu Maps, which load in about 2 seconds or less even in areas with EDGE instead of 3G or LTE service, have complete mass transit and traffic info and a big user base to draw data from.

In terms of market share, iOS trails Android by a wide margin in China yet still has high mindshare. If Apple was really serious about expanding Chinese market, they could take the opportunity to develop Maps and other service apps for China and push that hard because Google tripped over its own feet when they left China and as the market reaches saturation, they face a downside.

But I seriously doubt that will happen. Despite all the noise, Apple still has done the bare minimum to integrate iOS for the Chinese market that is of practical value to users. It has excellent Chinese input and the devices are as good as ever, but we just don't get much love from Apple on software and services so remain 2nd class citizens.

Listen up, Tim. Apple is under-performing here and missing an opportunity to trump Google.

You don't think Beijing has a say on what goes on in China? Apple would love to expand services in a heartbeat.
post #108 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Defending Google until your dying breath. That's sweet. In reality Giigle has more info about you than you realize.
I'd guess Apple has a lot more info about you than you probably realize.

If you're curious what Google knows about you visit accounts.google.com. You'll have a dashboard there where you can see the general information (if any) attached to your profile and modify/delete/opt-out or in to various Google services and features. For the life of me I can't find the similar Apple dashboard to review what Apple knows about me so that I can delete or correct if necessary. Don't suppose you know how to find out do you? Oh that's right, there isn't a way to find out, which you seem to think is a good thing? Surprised you wouldn't want more transparency.
Edited by Gatorguy - 11/11/13 at 4:33pm
post #109 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by decponstruction View Post

That's interesting, Google Maps can't find Hillsdale, NY either.
post #110 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

No thank you at least not until Apple builds their own but even then it will take a couple of years to be as good as Google. Google search is still the best and the only search engine that is worth anything. The reast of their services though, no problem. I now use Viber instead of hangouts, MS Office on Skydrive instead of Docs, Google+, I dislike Social Media so who cares about that, Drive, I still use it as I got 200GB free with my Chromebook and it's a lot faster then iCloud here in Switzerland but Skydrive is faster then Drive, not to mention much cheaper then iCloud. Skydrive is my choice of cloud services by a large margin, Skydrives photo manager, online eBook reader, love their video streamer, you can watch any movie you upload to the cloud right in SkyDrive as well as MP3's with playlists, so very cool and MS Office online is fantastic. You can run your entire life pretty much from Skydrive but Bing though still needs a lot of work. They have Google Chromebooks but I think MS is missing out on this market sand should make an online OS as well. I really like my Chromebox and Chromebook and have no problem using web apps to do my everyday computing tasks. Even programming is getting better online.

post #111 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

That's interesting, Google Maps can't find Hillsdale, NY either.

Sure it does. I just found it on the first try. Perhaps you made an error when typing it in and searched Hiildale or something instead.
post #112 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

i agree. i drove from san francisco to the east bay just yesterday and, thanks to apple maps, i ended up on the *old* span. i mean, really, c'mon apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I feel sorry for you if you live in the Bay area and do not know how to get across the bay yet.

i feel sorry for you if your sarcasm detector is out of whack. and i feel sorry for you that you're feeling sorry for me without first having a quick look to see that the physical connection from yuerba buena island to the old bay bridge span has been severed, thus making it incredibly difficult (if not impossible) to get from san francisco to the east bay via the old span. sorries all around.
post #113 of 218

Actually, Apple uses Navteq in some areas, I don't know about CH, but some other areas of Europe seem to use it.

Apple Maps has another problem in China. They have a local partner for maps, and the maps are generally accurate, but their server infrastructure is substandard; unless you have a WiFi or LTE connection, the maps load so slowly they are essentially useless. Google Maps are just as bad if not worse. So most Chinese use BaiDu Maps, which loads quickly regardless of the connection, and because of the large user base, are more data rich.

But then, to be fair, BaiDu Maps is useless outside China or Hong Kong, so I actually use Apple Maps and Google Maps when traveling outside.

Apple has an opportunity to beat Google on services in China, but I doubt they will take it. 

post #114 of 218

Only one word can describe this adequately. Thermo Nukular.

post #115 of 218
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the info, I was really currios. Everyone here is praising Apple Maps but on my iPad it's a pretty plain app and defiantly not my first choice, nespecially when compared to Nokia Maps and Google Maps. That's great news that they have acquired the necessary companies to make it a better competing product because as of right now Google Maps is the better service but I think Apple Maps looks and performs better and would prefer to use it. I think Microsoft will just dump Bing Maps as it's no different then Apples offering in terms oh features, Nokia is defiantly the way to go, it's a really good mapping service.

Apple Maps isn't so bad... It found Divonne les Bains, Gruyeres and the 3D of Jungfraujoc and Matterhorn...

Also, Apple has applied for an interesting patent which will, likely, affect Apple maps. A device (iPad, iWatch, other wearable, in-car Nav) can initiate a request to another device to share its WiFi or cell radio connection/connectibility with the outside world -- and be notified when the request is satisfied.

The request is made over low-power Bluetooth LE, while both devices are active, idle, or running in the background. When the notification is received by the originating device, it can just stay in the background and log it and alert the user -- or it can launch the app for whatever.

So, you're in your car, on the train or walking with some combination of watch or wearable (Bluetooth only), an iPad (Bluetooth, no WiFi or cell), and phone or other device cell (Bluetooth, cell radio/GPS/WiFi).
  1. however you prefer you ask for directions
  2. the request goes to the device with the radios where it connects to the Internet and GPS
  3. turn-by-turn navigation is retrieved from the Internet to the radio device
  4. position info is returned from WiFi/GPS to the radio device
  5. the originating device is notified and alerts the user.

The radio device runs in the background monitoring location by GPS/WiFi

Whenever something changes the originating device is notified.

All this is done with a minimum of data traffic and battery power.

If you prefer you can speak to your wearable and receive audible responses -- or watch the display of your iPad for visual responses -- or both!
- Michael Lille -
- Michael Lille -
post #116 of 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Hey, she's awake. At least 15 minutes ago. I switched the default search engine on my iPad's Safari to Bing a few weeks ago just to give it a fair chance. I must agree with you—it misses a lot of results that Google catches. Also seems to have more junk at the top. Will probably be switching back to Google soon, as much as I dislike them they do have search in the bag.

As for Apple maps, I have had very few problems. Even navigated us through some wild parts of New Zealand recently without a hitch. Haven't missed Google Maps at all.

Yep, I'm usually awake between 1:00 till 2:30am then I pass out gain. I had an operation today so I was out the entire day, woke up to a new central line in my chest, yaaay for plastic stuff inside me. I just opened my eyes up about 40 minutes ago as I had to use the bathroom which is usually a large ordeal. It takes 2 nurses to get me out of bed and put on a portable potty chair which is the most disgusting thing ever. Then they take off the only piece of clothing I have on which is a hospital gown. So I'm sitting on a chair with wheels, and a  hole in the middle where a bucket is fitted, naked in front of two, sometimes three people who are their to makes ure I don't fall off which I've done twice trying to go to the bathroom on Morphine, well now Fentanyl. Talk about a just shoot me dead moment. Do to unpopular belief girls toot, especially when they haven't gone in a while which adds to the fun even more. Then of course you have those over zealous nurses who feels it's her or his duty to make sure your clean afterwards, God help me.

This tidbit of life with terminal cancer has been brought to you by the letter F as in @#%^ this. Sorry if this grossed anyone out but I just don't care anymore.

That's great that Apple Maps does everything you need it to do. It's just that after using Google Maps for long and now Nokia Maps, Apples offering has a little ways to go before it can compare and I would use it but it seems that it shouldn't be much longer till they catch up feature wise. 

post #117 of 218

No, they waited too long. Notice how in the year or so since he got canned maps has improved?

post #118 of 218
Quote:

Apple Maps isn't so bad... It found Divonne les Bains, Gruyeres and the 3D of Jungfraujoc and Matterhorn...

Also, Apple has applied for an interesting patent which will, likely, affect Apple maps. A device (iPad, iWatch, other wearable, in-car Nav) can initiate a request to another device to share its WiFi or cell radio connection/connectibility with the outside world -- and be notified when the request is satisfied.

The request is made over low-power Bluetooth LE, while both devices are active, idle, or running in the background. When the notification is received by the originating device, it can just stay in the background and log it and alert the user -- or it can launch the app for whatever.

So, you're in your car, on the train or walking with some combination of watch or wearable (Bluetooth only), an iPad (Bluetooth, no WiFi or cell), and phone or other device cell (Bluetooth, cell radio/GPS/WiFi).
  1. however you prefer you ask for directions
  2. the request goes to the device with the radios where it connects to the Internet and GPS
  3. turn-by-turn navigation is retrieved from the Internet to the radio device
  4. position info is returned from WiFi/GPS to the radio device
  5. the originating device is notified and alerts the user.

The radio device runs in the background monitoring location by GPS/WiFi

Whenever something changes the originating device is notified.

All this is done with a minimum of data traffic and battery power.

If you prefer you can speak to your wearable and receive audible responses -- or watch the display of your iPad for visual responses -- or both!

Oh gosh no, never said it was bad, I really like the spped and look of it. It's just missing some feature that I have gotten used to with Google Maps an now that I have a Nokia 1020 Nokia Maps is a really good mapping service. It's hard to use Apples Maps after that. Though I'm positive it will get better.

post #119 of 218
Quote:

Sure it does. I just found it on the first try. Perhaps you made an error when typing it in and searched Hiildale or something instead.

For some reason I thought it was hillside. Where did that come from? Carry on then.
post #120 of 218
Victory, Apple!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple Maps took around 80 percent of Google Maps' iOS traffic in one year
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple Maps took around 80 percent of Google Maps' iOS traffic in one year