or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple support website claims Retina iPad mini to launch on Nov. 12

Apple support website claims Retina iPad mini to launch on Nov. 12

post #1 of 35
A note on Apple's internal GSX website for repair service providers and resellers claims the hotly anticipated iPad mini with Retina display will be rolling out in eight countries on Nov. 12, though the message may likely be an error.

iPad mini

According to Apple's Global Service Exchange tool, the Retina iPad mini is set to debut on Nov. 12 local time in Australia, China, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore and the United States. The note was first spotted by MacRumors.

While AppleInsider has been able to verify that the message does exist on GSX, and has subsequently been seen by resellers, the quoted date is likely erroneous.

The message reads:

Published date: 11 Nov 2013

iPad mini (Retina), delivering razor sharp text and detail in the same amazingly thin and light design, will be available in the following countries on November 12, 2013 (local time).

• Australia
  • China (Wi-Fi only)
  • Hong Kong
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • United States

All of the above mentioned countries, save for the U.S., are already well into Nov. 12, with no sign of the Retina iPad mini at Apple Stores or third-party resellers. At the time of this writing, the local time in New Zealand is already well past 4 p.m., for example. It is highly unlikely that Apple will start sales before stores close.

Apple usually reserves Friday for big product launches, as evidenced by the recent debut of the iPhone 5s and 5c, as well as the iPad Air. A Tuesday launch, especially one without any public notice, would be out of the norm.

Apple has yet to announce a solid release date for the Retina mini since the device was unveiled alongside the iPad Air in October. At the time, Apple said the tablet would hit store shelves "later in November," prompting industry watchers to speculate of supply chain issues.

Most recently, a report out of the Far East claimed Apple partner manufacturer and Retina display supplier Sharp was having problems with screen burn-in, which translated into lower than expected yield rates.

While strictly speculation, it is interesting to point out that next Friday falls on Nov. 22, just one digit off Apple's GSX quote.
post #2 of 35
Apple wouldn't launch it stealthily. No one would know when to line up.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 35
November 22nd seems like the most likely to me.

Edit: Wow! An amazing typo to be sure as noted by the comments.
Edited by akqies - 11/11/13 at 7:55pm
post #4 of 35
...isn't there such a date as the 12th of Never?
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple wouldn't launch it stealthily. No one would know when to line up.
maybe thats the point. Lining up only to come up short handed is a bad customer experience.
post #6 of 35
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Mine’s booked; can we make it the 32nd? 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

November seems like the most likely to me.

Of course it is, that's what Apple said.

The question is when in November, not which month.

post #8 of 35
Quote:

I'll go out on limb even further and predict Nov 2013! Outlandish I know... 1smile.gif
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #9 of 35
Quote:

Which part tipped you off, the part where it says "Coming later in November" on all iPad mini marketing material and Apple's website? 

post #10 of 35
Not sure it was unavailable before but it can be bought (ordered) right now from the online store with delivery 5-7 business days. That's the HK online store.

No clue if it was available before. Just mentioning this.
post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawall View Post

Not sure it was unavailable before but it can be bought (ordered) right now from the online store with delivery 5-7 business days. That's the HK online store.

No clue if it was available before. Just mentioning this.

Bollocks. It can not be orderd from the HK store at this time: http://store.apple.com/hk/buy-ipad/ipad-mini-retina

We are talking about the iPad Mini with Retina Display. It appears you are talking about the iPad Air.

Edit: Neither 'I' nor 'it' can be orderd from Hong Kong.

Edited by Douglas Bailey - 11/11/13 at 8:14pm
post #12 of 35
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/11/11/apple-support-site-retina-ipad-mini-coming-nov-12/

Apple's spokeswoman has declined to comment. This may very well be true.
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/11/11/apple-support-site-retina-ipad-mini-coming-nov-12/

What could be true?

It's 5:10pm in New Zealand and the iPad Mini with Retina Display is not even listed in their online Apple store. Not even with coming soon.

It's 3:10pm in Australia and the iPad Mini with Retina Display is currently unavailable to ship.

What could be true?

post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

What could be true?

It's 5:10pm in New Zealand and the iPad Mini with Retina Display is not even listed in their online Apple store. Not even with coming soon.
It's 3:10pm in Australia and the iPad Mini with Retina Display is currently unavailable to ship.

What could be true?
the 5:30am announcement thing is just a guess. However the Apple spokeswoman declined to comment rather than say the media is wrong flat out.
post #15 of 35
Quote:

the 5:30am announcement thing is just a guess. However the Apple spokeswoman declined to comment rather than say the media is wrong flat out.

5:30am annoucement? It is 5:15pm in New Zealand on Nov 12th. The day is over. This is not happening on Nov 12th as suggested by the Support site.

Edit: Well I was wrong and happy about it. For some reason I was only considering the impossibility of in store sales and did not consider that they could just turn on pre-orders and still make this date of Nov 12th in NZ.
Edited by Douglas Bailey - 11/12/13 at 2:03am
post #16 of 35

Why? Ever?

The new screen sizes Apple has planned are 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches, according to the report, which added that the new iPhone designs are “still in development" and may change. Apple declined to comment on the report.
 Apple has a China problem and it has a profit problem. The eagerly anticipated “iPhone 5C" will address the latter issue. Apple declined to comment for this story.
Apple's been meeting with cable companies to pitch a service that would enable TV viewers to skip commercials. Apple declined to comment on the report, calling it rumor and speculation.
(in 2011) The handset market is so brutally competitive that Apple, the most successful smartphone maker, is preparing to step up its game this week by offering two new iPhones instead of one. Apple declined to comment on the new products.
 Apple Inc will be unable to widely roll out a new version of the iPad Mini with a high-resolution “Retina” display this month, people who work in the company’s supply chain said, leaving the gadget without the sharper screen found on rival tablets from Google Inc and Amazon.com Inc. Apple declined to comment about any product launches and the sources at companies in Apple's supply chain declined to be identified due to the confidentiality of the matter.
 “Apple will decline in the post Steve Jobs era,” wrote George Colony, CEO of Forrester Research. “Here’s why.” An Apple spokesman declined to comment for this story.
The consumer device giant's vice-president of global security, John Theriault has retired, a person close to Apple said. Apple declined to comment. 
Samsung may have lost the most recent round in the United States in its legal fight with Apple over cellphone technology, but that hasn’t stopped it from mounting a new assault against Apple that relies on a more public tactic — full-page ads. Apple, which declined to comment about the Samsung campaign
As Kodak prepares to sell off 1100 of its patents in a bid to stay afloat, Microsoft, Google and Apple are all reportedly looking to get a slice of the patent pie. Apple declined to comment on the story.
Apple apologizes to customers for delays in shipping its 27-inch iMac but declined to identify the cause of the delays.
When Apple makes its long-awaited foray into the iPhone resale market, experts say, it may force rivals like Gazelle to improve their trade-in deals for customers — in the short-term, at least. A spokesman for Apple declined to comment
Tech giants Apple and Microsoft, among others, have been ordered to attend a parliamentary inquiry into allegations of price gouging against Australian customers. Apple declined to comment
Apple Inc and Samsung Electronics Co Ltd do not have to make public the financial details submitted to a U.S. court during high-profile patent litigation, a federal appeals panel ruled on Friday. Representatives for Apple and Samsung declined to comment.
Years of halting negotiations with cable companies haven’t gotten Apple much closer to its grand vision for television. But a newer strategy of talking directly to content providers seems more promising. Apple declined to comment.
Apple is investigating an accident in which a Chinese woman was killed by an electric shock when answering a call on her iPhone 5 while it was charging. Apple declined to comment on details of the incident.

post #17 of 35
A quiet launch makes sense since the supply is severely constrained.
post #18 of 35
Why would supplies be constrained? It's just a smaller iPad Air.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #19 of 35
Why would supplies be constrained?

Apple. 

post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

Bollocks. It can not be orderd from the HK store at this time: http://store.apple.com/hk/buy-ipad/ipad-mini-retina

We are talking about the iPad Mini with Retina Display. It appears you are talking about the iPad Air.

Edit: Neither 'I' nor 'it' can be orderd from Hong Kong.

NM

post #21 of 35

Apple Store is offline with the We'll Be Back message rotator.
post #22 of 35

usa store getting updated as we speak. check back at 3 am est i bet u it will be available to order. its out nov 12.

post #23 of 35
Quote:

Why would supplies be constrained? It's just a smaller iPad Air.

Because the Retina Displays are that gosh-darn hard to produce at that resolution, at that size, and with Apple's quality-control levels. At least, that's according to all the reports I've heard.

Remember, each iPad mini is packing a full-sized iPad's number of pixels onto a significantly smaller screen.

post #24 of 35

A retina mini would be nice.  I saw the iPad air closely yesterday and it was pretty nice.

But, they both run iOS7, which will keep me from buying.

If they could run iOS6...

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #25 of 35
Probably just going to take pre-orders for a Friday delivery to align with an in-store launch.
post #26 of 35
30 minutes to go! LOL!
post #27 of 35

Yay! We hope it launches today and we can pick it up today. 7 Minutes to go!

post #28 of 35
Told ya so.....
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Mine’s booked; can we make it the 32nd? 
you can apologize for making fun of me now...
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? Ever?
you were dead ass wrong.
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

lmao! Clearly there is such a thing as 12th of never.
Edited by AdonisSMU - 11/12/13 at 1:14am
post #32 of 35
Hong Kong Apple store website available to order right now, 5-10 business for both color (silver/gray).
post #33 of 35
It is available with a expected shipment of 5-10 business days in the danish store: http://store.apple.com/dk/buy-ipad/ipad-mini-retina
post #34 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsattack View Post

It is available with a expected shipment of 5-10 business days in the danish store: http://store.apple.com/dk/buy-ipad/ipad-mini-retina
supply isnt that constrained for anyone paying attention.
post #35 of 35
I love the end of the 1st paragraph.

"though the message may likely be an error"

Isn't that great?

I got mine thankfully! Best Buy!!

Laters...
Adobe Systems - "Preventing the Case-Sensitive revolution everyday..."
Adobe Systems - "Preventing the Case-Sensitive revolution everyday..."
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple support website claims Retina iPad mini to launch on Nov. 12
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple support website claims Retina iPad mini to launch on Nov. 12