or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple starts online sales of Retina iPad mini, no in-store pickup as supply already tight

Apple starts online sales of Retina iPad mini, no in-store pickup as supply already tight

post #1 of 82
Apple on Tuesday finally put the iPad mini with Retina display up for order through its Online Apple Store, springing the tablet on customers after going over three weeks without announcing a firm launch date.

iPad mini

While the units just went up for sale minutes ago, it appears Apple is already seeing supply constraints of the Retina mini, as the U.S. store is showing a one to two day shipping estimate for 16GB and 32GB Wi-Fi models, while 64GB, 128GB and all Wi-Fi + Cellular versions ship in five to ten days. It is unclear when in-store pickups will be initiated, but for now it does not appear to be an option.

Prices start at $399 for a 16GB Wi-Fi model, $499 for 32GB, $599 for 64GB and $699 for the new 128GB option. Apple's Wi-Fi + Cellular versions start at $529 for the lowest capacity 16GB model and move up in $100 increments, topping out at $829 for 128GB of storage.

Instead of announcing the launch publicly, Apple quietly kicked off online sales at midnight Pacific in the U.S., indicating supply levels may not be high enough to sustain an expect influx of early adopters. Apple CEO Tim Cook hinted at possibly tight inventory in late October, saying, "It's unclear whether we will have enough for the quarter or not."

On Monday, Apple sent a notification to technicians and resellers through its GSX website, informing them that the Retina mini would go on sale today in Australia, China, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore and the United States. The device is indeed now for sale in the Online Apple Stores in those locales, as well as a few others, though in-store availability is unknown at this time.

Late last night, the company took its online storefront down for maintenance and reopened with the much-awaited tablet up for sale.

Aside from putting the Retina iPad mini in a prominent position on the first page of its online store, Apple spruced-up the website's design in preparation for the holidays, including custom ads targeting Christmas shoppers.

While reviews have yet to come out for the iPad mini with Retina display, AppleInsider was able to take a hands-on look at the device when it was unveiled last month. Also, if you are in the market for a new iPad, don't forget to lock in a high payout rate now to trade in your old iPad or iPad mini for cash.
post #2 of 82

Now, if only I had a reason to get one!

Between the iPhone 5S and the iPad Air, I don't think I can justify a use case scenario for the Retina Mini.  Oh well.  :)

post #3 of 82
Everyone said i was crazy. Im nothing if not logical.
post #4 of 82

32gb Cellular is on its way :)

post #5 of 82
Wow, supplies must be really tight to have the times go out so fast. Such a shame, they could make a killing with these this Christmas (still could).
post #6 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Now, if only I had a reason to get one!

Between the iPhone 5S and the iPad Air, I don't think I can justify a use case scenario for the Retina Mini.  Oh well.  :)

I originally wanted a Retina Mini, but I ended up with the Air. I convinced myself to get an Retina Mini so I just ordered a 32GB Space Grey LTE. Pretty damn expensive month with 2 iPads, iPhone 5s, and PS4 on Friday. 

post #7 of 82
Apple Store Hong Kong is quoting 5 to 10 days with online order, no estimate from the Apple Store shop %uD83D%uDE21
post #8 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

I originally wanted a Retina Mini, but I ended up with the Air. I convinced myself to get an Retina Mini so I just ordered a 32GB Space Grey LTE. Pretty damn expensive month with 2 iPads, iPhone 5s, and PS4 on Friday. 

You could always take the PS4 back... 1wink.gif
post #9 of 82

32G space gray @ 2:01

post #10 of 82
Got the 32GB Verizon cellular ordered and to be delivered by Dec 4 at the latest. Will be very nice to have this along with the iPad Air for a 2-week business trip to China and Indonesia that starts on Dec 8. Perfect timing.
post #11 of 82
I just order a Retina iPad Mini Space Gray 128gb Verizon at 3am,
I am thinking in April to get a iPad Air 64GB.
Edited by eim23x - 11/12/13 at 1:42am
post #12 of 82
Just ordered a 64GB Cellular Space Gray for son (already have my 128GB Cellular iPad Air). Ships in 5 to 10 days. He is very excited to get the retina mini. He has a regular mini and uses it for most of his college reading, and is looking forward to the sharper display. Hope Apple can make enough to keep up with demand.
post #13 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

You could always take the PS4 back... 1wink.gif

Heck no. I'm dying to play the next gen BF4 and FIFA 14. 

post #14 of 82
Quote:

Ouch, yeah. :)

But that's some sweet, sweet HW there.

PS: I was thinking about waiting until the PS4 came out to see if I could get a really cheap PS3, since the only game I want to play is the new Tomb Raider.  But apparently it will be coming to OSX before the year is out, so ...

post #15 of 82
Quote:

Ouch, yeah. :)

PS: I was thinking about waiting until the PS4 came out to see if I could get a really cheap PS3, since the only game I want to play is the new Tomb Raider.  But apparently it will be coming to OSX before the year is out, so ...

The latest Tomb Raider is a really good game. That and The Last of Us were my favorite games on the PS3 this year. 

post #16 of 82
Huge huge huge demand for this product.

Too bad supply will be tight for a little bit.

Still, good for Apple that they have high standards for their components.
post #17 of 82
5-10 days is good .

If it is 24 hours , then anal ists will say ipad mini 2 suffers weaker than bullshitted demand.

If it is 2-3 weeks, then the mother fuckers will say Apple is unable to keep up with the demand due to the production difficulty . And lower the ipad sales estimate.

**** THE ANAL ists .
post #18 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by kariie View Post

Its superb keep it up apple ,you are gonna lead the market

"Gonna lead" the market? They have been the leader since the original iPad.

post #19 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

Just ordered a 64GB Cellular Space Gray for son (already have my 128GB Cellular iPad Air). Ships in 5 to 10 days. He is very excited to get the retina mini. He has a regular mini and uses it for most of his college reading, and is looking forward to the sharper display. Hope Apple can make enough to keep up with demand.

Can you adopt me? :lol:

post #20 of 82
I just love being right.
post #21 of 82
Quote:

I admire your appetite, but leave room for an iPad Pro...

I'm hoping that I can scrape up dinero for a Mac Pro first of the year, then it's a rumored iPad Pro along with an iPhone 6 of some screen size as yet undetermined.

post #22 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I just love being right.

Modest much?

post #23 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcornchicken View Post

Modest much?
i have Adonis as my handle. How humble could i possibly be?
post #24 of 82
Quote:

i just did the same thing.
post #25 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmay View Post

I admire your appetite, but leave room for an iPad Pro...

I'm hoping that I can scrape up dinero for a Mac Pro first of the year, then it's a rumored iPad Pro along with an iPhone 6 of some screen size as yet undetermined.

Oh, I wish I could justify the Mac Pro.  I have ZERO use for something like that, but I want one so badly. :)

Quote:

i have Adonis as my handle. How humble could i possibly be?

Good point. :)

post #26 of 82
Quote:
I just love being right.

The word glee comes to mind, but I think you'll have better response from friends and family as opposed to a website forum, getting a lame response from the likes of me.

Look your friends in the eye, and tell them you were right and why you are so proud of yourself now. You'll be amazed at their response, it could very well be an eyeopener.
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
“A PC is no bargain when it doesn’t do what you want.” - Apple 2009
post #27 of 82

Being poor sucks. Oh well no Apple goodness then -.-

post #28 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The word glee comes to mind, but I think you'll have better response from friends and family as opposed to a website forum, getting a lame response from the likes of me.

Look your friends in the eye, and tell them you were right and why you are so proud of yourself now. You'll be amazed at their response, it could very well be an eyeopener.
i dont care what anyone else thinks about me. They like getting the Apple toys i give them. I am the first one to admit when I am wrong.

Tallest was bullying me around and making fun of me and other people on this forum were joining in. Naturally, Im going to gloat on this forum.
Edited by AdonisSMU - 11/12/13 at 1:29am
post #29 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacee1990 View Post

Being poor sucks. Oh well no Apple goodness then -.-
Not true...you just dont get it as often but i often make sure my friends can have access to new apple products.
post #30 of 82
Quote:

Ouch, yeah. 1smile.gif

It's a great game. In my mind it's tied with The Last of Us for game of the year.
post #31 of 82
Quote:

i dont care what anyone else thinks about me. They like getting the Apple toys i give them. I am the first one to admit when I am wrong.

Tallest was bullying me around and making fun of me and other people on this forum were joining in. Naturally, Im going to gloat on this forum.

Don't let the sour grapes get you down. Kudos for calling it right.
post #32 of 82
Got two 128 GB AT&T, also delivered by Dec 4th at the latest. Of the ten Apple stores within 50 miles, none had this configuration available for pickup.
post #33 of 82

Ordered 12  for reselling purposes. Already had my dummy accounts ready. Gonna make a killing with this tight supply.  Thanks Apple!

post #34 of 82
Man when I saw the reports last night I thought they were wrong for sure. Good thing I had to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and checked my phone! Got a 32 GB space gray on the way! Now back to bed haha!
post #35 of 82

What?! Will these be available in store at all?

post #36 of 82
iPad Air for me.

Just received the 32GB version I ordered. Perfect for my needs. A world of difference compared to my 1st gen... A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE.

But the Mini looks interesting (screen too small for my needs)
post #37 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuide View Post

Of the ten Apple stores within 50 miles, none had this configuration available for pickup.

No Apple stores have any configuration available for pickup... the article title kinda already told you that. :)

post #38 of 82
I wonder if they will be available in the store at all.
post #39 of 82
As news travels it will be interest to see how this is reported. I got the 128GB Space Gray T Mobile LTE around a half hour after it was available. Had trouble deciding if I should get engraved or not. Decide to do for security purposes. Minutes flew by and Apple did not recognize as a customer and I sign on as a guest to make the purchase but Apple caught it just during the bill to section.
post #40 of 82

Just ordered a 32GB T-Mobile version. It is supposed to arrive between November 26th and December 4th.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple starts online sales of Retina iPad mini, no in-store pickup as supply already tight
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple starts online sales of Retina iPad mini, no in-store pickup as supply already tight