or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › MacMini: should I buy?

MacMini: should I buy?

post #1 of 11

I'm coming from a 5 year old PC.  I'm thinking of getting a MacMini base model $599.  The only thing I do on my computer is web browse, excel, quickbooks, and music play.  Will the base MacMini be fast enough?  How long does it take to boot up and start to use programs?  I already have a screen so the iMac is out of the question.  Just wondering if upgrading to faster CPU, fusion is worth it.

post #2 of 11

‘Course it will. Have at ‘er! It’s perfect for that use.

You might want to wait for the update, though. It’s not Haswell yet.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

‘Course it will. Have at ‘er! It’s perfect for that use.

You might want to wait for the update, though. It’s not Haswell yet.

Sounds good.  Probably will get it next year.  What are the boot times on these machines without the SSD drive? 

post #4 of 11

I've got an old (C2D - OSX 10.7.5) mini that starts in about 40 seconds. (from pushing the switch to a useable computer)

I can't imagine the new ones would be any slower... (though I'd really recommend an SSD internal and an external drive for media... my MBAir w/ SSD boots in about 15 seconds and App launches are nearly instantaneous.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Sounds good.  Probably will get it next year.  What are the boot times on these machines without the SSD drive?

The boot times are around 30-45 seconds for the 5400rpm drives, SSD is around 10-15 seconds.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The boot times are around 30-45 seconds for the 5400rpm drives, SSD is around 10-15 seconds.

thanks.  I can live with 45 seconds.  My current PC is at 2 minutes

post #7 of 11
Quote:

I'm coming from a 5 year old PC.  I'm thinking of getting a MacMini base model $599.
A very nice machine but I'd wait for the Haswell version to come out which is hopefully soon. Why Haswell? Well for the GPU, which is vast improvement over what is in the Mini now. Well that depends upon which chip Apple actually selects but the point remains Intel has come a very long ways with respect to GPU performance in Haswell.
Quote:
  The only thing I do on my computer is web browse, excel, quickbooks, and music play.  Will the base MacMini be fast enough?
Most likely it will be, even this years model. However do not underestimate the importance of a good GPU, apple uses the GPU extensively and frankly more with every Mac OS/X software update. Even things like Safari are GPU accelerated these days.

There is one gotcha here, well maybe two. One is that Excel on the Mac isn't exactly like Excel on the Windows machine. If you are a power user writing lots of scripts it can be a problem. With Quickbooks I have no experience so you will have to rely upon comments form other users.
Quote:
  How long does it take to boot up and start to use programs?  I already have a screen so the iMac is out of the question.  Just wondering if upgrading to faster CPU, fusion is worth it.

Fusion and more RAM before you think about a faster processor. Seriously RAM and Mac OS/X love each other. Fusion drive or just a plain old SSD makes for a far snappier machine. After spending all your cash on the fusion drive and the RAM you can use any excess you have for a faster CPU.

A side note here. Fusion drive or an SSD only for that matter, is wonderful in that it reduces the significant bottle neck to secondary storage. However if we are lucky Apple may put in a PCI Express slot in the next revision to support the same SSD's used in Apples other machines. These are far faster than SATA interfaced drives. This is speculation of course as I don't know the form of the next Mini, but I would think it is worth waiting for. It is probably more valuable than the GPU for the type of work you are looking at.
post #8 of 11

I would sell you my Mac Mini for $300.00 2011 model.

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:

My 2011 model boots a little faster even, but it's basically a stock install, with only VLC added. Put it under the big screen in the living, and hardly ever reboot it so it doesn't matter to me. If I were to use it as my main Mac I'd get the 256GB SSD model and use external storage for the large stuff. It's $999 which seems reasonable; they're very good performance wise. I'm very surprised with their speed and think I'll try using it as my main Mac in case my MP dies.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously RAM and Mac OS/X love each other.

I have actually not seen any benefit at all after upgrading from the default 6GB to 20GB in my Mac, but maybe I'm just not using power hungry software. While I use Aperture & FCP, albeit little RAW and small video files, so there.
- Roger Sterling
- Roger Sterling
post #11 of 11

No big deal with this at all.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › MacMini: should I buy?