or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 7.0.4 to address FaceTime bug, other issues

Apple releases iOS 7.0.4 to address FaceTime bug, other issues

post #1 of 40
Apple on Thursday pushed out a minor update to its iOS 7 mobile operating system, addressing an issue that would cause FaceTime calls to fail for some users, along with squashing other bugs.

iOS 7.0.4

iOS 7.0.4 is now available for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, and is identified as "build 11B554a." It can be downloaded via the Software Update section of the native Settings application in iOS.

Apple's official release notes state that the update includes "bug fixes and improvements, including a fix for an issue that causes FaceTime calls to fail for some users."

The update applies to the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, and iPhone 5s; the iPad 2, third- and fourth-generation iPads, iPad Air, iPad mini, and iPad mini with Retina display; as well as the fourth- and fifth-generation iPod touch models.

Also on Thursday, Apple released a software update for its Apple TV set-top box. Apple TV software version 6.0.2 is now available for download.

Finally, for users of the fourth-generation iPod touch, which cannot run iOS 7, Apple has also released iOS 6.1.5 to address FaceTime issues on that device.

The last maintenance update for Apple's mobile platform, iOS 7.0.3 arrived last month. It added support for iCloud Keychain password and form entry data syncing, as well as fixes for issues with Touch ID fingerprint scanning on the iPhone 5s
post #2 of 40

I guess its update day at Apple. It appears we are officially in the Whack-A-Mole release stage. This occurs when the engrs are back in 16-18 hr day mode again, due to either:

• 1 mission critical bugs are found (which you could assume would be very difficult to catch without the product "in the wild") and

• 2 features that were in the design but were cut to make the deadline (which a very vocal group -- typically a minority of loud users, analysts, and trolls that manage to eek out a new __gate with each major update).

post #3 of 40

There are a lot of bugs which arent fixed, gg Apple

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1644922

post #4 of 40

I don't see the video player's slider being fixed in this release, it sometimes jumps around when moving it.

bb
bb
post #5 of 40
Safari needs to be fixed fast- I've never had so many crashes on an Apple device.
Ever.

Where's the new Apple TV?

(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)

Where's the new Apple TV?

(So Y is the new X?   Zzzzzzzzzz......)
post #6 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Safari needs to be fixed fast- I've never had so many crashes on an Apple device.
Ever.

I haven't had Safari in iOS 7 crash even once.
post #7 of 40
That's great. Howbout fixing the jittery 5 finger close animation? How hard could that be, when the home button has the exact sane animation, which is perfect? Doesnt the 5 finger gesture jusy send a home button command? It irritates me every time I close an app, so jarring and glitchy. That should never have made it past the betas, but here we are at 7.04, and even on the most powerful ipad, the damn close animation is wonky as hell. Incredible
post #8 of 40
Overall animations appear to have been improved.

No, not snappier. Just smoother, and more fluid. 1wink.gif

I have also experienced quite a few crashes in Safari, although it's hardly been a bad experience, just noticeable. It will be interesting to see if this update addresses this.

Considering how much has been totally rewritten and/or changed for all of Apple's operating systems this year, I'm extremely impressed.
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

The OS X version of SAFARI may be what is being referred to, and it has been a bit unstable for me recently and I haven't moved yet to Mavericks. (ha, like just now).

post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

The OS X version of SAFARI may be what is being referred to, and it has been a bit unstable for me recently and I haven't moved yet to Mavericks. (ha, like just now).

That's what I was wondering. This is clearly a thread about iOS 7 but people make comments like that all the time. I think all my Safari in Mac crashes have all been on appleinsisder.com
post #11 of 40
Quote:

That's what I was wondering. This is clearly a thread about iOS 7 but people make comments like that all the time. I think all my Safari in Mac crashes have all been on appleinsisder.com

You know I think that's where mine have come on as well.

post #12 of 40
Quote:

Same. I wonder if AI's coding is really that bad, or if it's due to the intrusive advertising platform they use.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #13 of 40
they haven't fixed the boot problem going to sleep straight away on the iPad AIr there must be a whole lot if us out there 1frown.gif
post #14 of 40
Still no fix for long addresses in Contacts - you still can't enter more than 2 street lines on iOS despite it working perfectly in Contacts on icloud.com....
post #15 of 40
Quote:

Yes safari on mavericks freezes everything but you can still move the mouse and nothing else. I uninstalled ALL extensions. Had no freezes today. seems to have fixed it. As for safari on ios7 absolutely spot on, no problems.
post #16 of 40
Quote:

Impact: App and In-App purchases may be completed with insufficient authorization

Description: A signed-in user may be able to complete a transaction without providing a password when prompted. This issue was addressed by additional enforcement of purchase authorization.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6058

Oops

post #17 of 40
I have had about 40 crashes, and 20 other bugs on IOS 7
post #18 of 40

Ok. Many fixes. Where the hell is the fix for the IPhone Media Player app that puts the damned cover flow crap on when you try to play a music video full screen when you flip the phone into landscape view?

I will not be happy with iOS anything until they fix that little bit of stupid.

post #19 of 40
Quote:

Ever.

Quote:

Quote:

Safari does crash on my iPad in iOS7. In fact, many Apple apps have crashed on my in iOS7 on both my iPhone 5S and iPad 3. I think Apple app crashes on iOS6 were rare to nonexistent for me. Non-Apple apps crash in iOS7, but paradoxically these seem rarer now than with iOS6. 

I am supposed to receive my Apple Air today, so we'll see if the crashes continue. 

post #20 of 40
Quote:

And I haven't seen either the OS X or iOS version of Safari crash in quite some time.  

Then again, it's probably best not to read into any one person's account of these things - without knowing what websites, the device details, other apps installed, hacks, etc, etc, are in play, who really know's what we are talking about?

post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

That's great. Howbout fixing the jittery 5 finger close animation? How hard could that be, when the home button has the exact sane animation, which is perfect? Doesnt the 5 finger gesture jusy send a home button command? It irritates me every time I close an app, so jarring and glitchy. That should never have made it past the betas, but here we are at 7.04, and even on the most powerful ipad, the damn close animation is wonky as hell. Incredible

The difference is that the five-finger gesture induced close animation tracks the speed with which you move your fingers. So, apart from you not moving your fingers as smoothly as the automatic gradient, the iPad has to track your fingers in real-time and convert that to an animation. Already if the tracking of your finger movement is not working at a high enough sampling frequency to produce a (visually) jitter-free control signal, things won't look as smooth. Sure, there are smoothing routines between the measured finger movement and the control given to the animation but I they won't produce a perfectly smooth movement. Though, I think, the main reason is that extra computational effort that is taxing the available resources a little bit too much (which should result in things being less jittery on the new iPad Air compared to somewhat underpowered iPad 3). 

post #22 of 40

Does this address the 'waiting for updates to be applied' bug that's rendered my iPhone 4 nearly useless since updating to iOS7 + iTunes 11.1.3?

This is where the phone progresses through all the stages of synchronising but finally stops and waits forever in iTunes, displaying only 'waiting for updates to be applied'.

And if any Apple engineer is reading this - why does iTunes always tell me changes have been made to my phone and to choose 'apply' or 'don't apply'?

post #23 of 40
Has no one else noticed iBooks has been updated?! I think it looks much better.
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

That's great. Howbout fixing the jittery 5 finger close animation? How hard could that be, when the home button has the exact same animation, which is perfect.

You're right that the five finger close animation is a bit jittery, but it's not the same animation as pressing the home button. Home button closes the app back to its location on the home screen, while the five finger close closes it into the middle of the home screen.
post #25 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

I guess its update day at Apple. It appears we are officially in the Whack-A-Mole release stage. This occurs when the engrs are back in 16-18 hr day mode again

In many large software organizations, there is a separate team, usually called sustaining engineering or some variant, that is responsible for post-launch issues. That is, interfacing with customers, verifying bug reports and changes then coming up with a fix in the least intrusive way possible. The development engineers have moved on to the next version, even before launch. So it's not like the engineers go on vacation and come back.

post #26 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP68 View Post

Ok. Many fixes. Where the hell is the fix for the IPhone Media Player app that puts the damned cover flow crap on when you try to play a music video full screen when you flip the phone into landscape view?

I will not be happy with iOS anything until they fix that little bit of stupid.

Hold your breath for it. And when you see a bright light, go towards it.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #27 of 40
I don't think the above posted was referring to the OS X version. Safari and a host of other apps crash regularly for me on both my iPad Air and 5S, which I have never experienced on any of my previous iOS devices. I thought clearly the move to 64 bit was causing the instability, but when I hear things like "I haven't had one single crash," that really makes me wonder. My iPad has apps crash quite literally 10 times a day with probably one forced reboot. And that is even with me deliberately hard-resetting it from time to time.
post #28 of 40
In fact, just after I wrote this, I went into the Mail app and it crashed. Huzzah.
post #29 of 40
Quote:

Quote:

Ever.

then the OP was right.  he never had so many crashes. ;-)  Ever.

"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #30 of 40

amazing they are still updating devices which can not run latest iOS.

post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

I have had about 40 crashes, and 20 other bugs on IOS 7

maybe a HW issue.  haven't had IOS7 crash on any of my devices in the household.  we have  3 iPad4, 2 iPhone 5, 2 iPhone 5s, and 1 iPad Mini.

post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by snova View Post

maybe a HW issue.  haven't had IOS7 crash on any of my devices in the household.  we have  3 iPad4, 2 iPhone 5, 2 iPhone 5s, and 1 iPad Mini.

Or as some one alluded to above: a particular incompatible APP that this poster likes and uses a lot. OS transitions always catch some software providers behind the curve like that.

post #33 of 40
If it's all so great why has my wife's iPhone 5c becomes pretty bit of plastic since installing 7,04 unable to do anything frozen in collect to iTunes screen not recognised in iTunes ???????????
post #34 of 40
Since installing this update on my ipad 4 the battery is draining incredibly fast. Anyone else seeing this?
Edited by tiger2 - 11/17/13 at 2:55pm
post #35 of 40

since then, i have problems with messages .... said: my message was not delivered 

post #36 of 40
iOS 7.04 scrambled my contacts - some with address first, name last, some with partials mixed up, but the biggest problem is that my account email address changed 6 months ago and when I try to log into icloud for 'find my iphone' it reverts to the old address and a password I no longer have. Every fix, every story tells me to do this do that, but in the end it ALL requires that I know the password that no longer exists. Even using Apple's "your birthdate" login does not work.
From my perspective I only see two options: erase everything on my phone or hope that there will be an iOS 7.05 soon and that it will solve this issue. Many have the same issue, none have closure, from what I see. Apple has screwed up again and doesn't see it, apparently.
post #37 of 40
Originally Posted by Phoenix381 View Post
Apple has screwed up again and doesn't see it, apparently.

No, this hasn’t happened. Wipe, resync.

post #38 of 40
Interesting way to ignore the issue or sarcasm Tallest?
post #39 of 40
Originally Posted by Phoenix381 View Post
Interesting way to ignore the issue or sarcasm Tallest?

I’m addressing the issue. You’re having problems with the software on your device; wipe the device and reinstall the software. That ought to do it. Tens of millions of people don’t have these problems. They are not problems with iOS 7. iOS 7 wouldn’t be the fastest adopted OS if they were. Reinstall.

post #40 of 40
With the 7.0.3 version of the Apple air, it was possible to register with the apps store without entering your credit card details. On the 7.0.4a version YOU CAN'T!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 7.0.4 to address FaceTime bug, other issues