or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's retail point-of-sale system suffers nationwide outage

Apple's retail point-of-sale system suffers nationwide outage

post #1 of 28
Customers at Apple retail stores across the country have been unable to make purchases or pick up items ordered online through Apple's Personal Pickup program thanks to an apparent glitch in the company's point-of-sale systems that occurred on Thursday.

Apple New York SoHo store
Apple's SoHo store in New York City

AppleInsider received several reports from readers on Thursday who revealed that the internal systems which run Apple's retail stores throughout the U.S. were down for at least two hours, with at least one report that the outage may extend internationally. Both in-store purchases and pickups for online purchases are affected.

The outage could put a not-insignificant dent in Apple's revenues. The company reported an average of $50 million in revenues per store for the fiscal fourth quarter of 2013, or just under $50,000 per hour, assuming an average operating time of 12 hours per day. With 253 stores in the United States, that means the glitch may have already cost Apple as much as $25 million.

This is a particularly busy time for Apple's retail stores, with the iPhone 5s and 5c, iPad Air, and new Retina display-equipped iPad mini all having been released within the last two months and the busy holiday season ramping up.
post #2 of 28

Well, I always like these gross estimates. Do we really believe that a customer won't eventually buy what he/she came to buy? Sure, some are spur of the moment, but if you want a new iMac, will you really just go across the street and buy a Windows PC because the cash register was broken? Geez.

post #3 of 28
"The outage could put a not-insignificant dent in Apple's revenues"

Why not just write, "the outage could put a significant dent in Apple's revenues?"

To which the answer is, no, no it couldn't. People will come back later to pick up their stuff.
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

"The outage could put a not-insignificant dent in Apple's revenues"

Why not just write, "the outage could put a significant dent in Apple's revenues?"

To which the answer is, no, no it couldn't. People will come back later to pick up their stuff.

That is a way of emphasizing a point. It is quite often said that way ... 'That is a significant amount of money' doesn't quite carry the oomph of ... 'That is not an insignificant amount of money'. There is an underlying feeling of astonishment, if you will, in the former usage that is lacking in the latter.

You might say ... 'Wow, that is not inconsequential at all!" It has way more impact phrased that way than ... "Wow that is consequential!"

How about ... "That's not Ilegal!" As opposed to "That's legal".

Double negatives at their best! 1wink.gif
Edited by digitalclips - 11/14/13 at 1:08pm
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #5 of 28

This is a non issue, and no, I don't agree that it will put any dent in revenues.

People who come to buy Apple products won't settle for anything less. Most purchases are not spur of the moment. 

I'm sure that this will be fixed shortly.

post #6 of 28
Apparently it's back up now.
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This is a non issue, and no, I don't agree that it will put any dent in revenues.

People who come to buy Apple products won't settle for anything less. Most purchases are not spur of the moment. 

Gloom and doom sells in the news business. A positive attitude is for losers.

post #8 of 28

If Steve were here this wouldn't have happened...

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That is a way of emphasizing a point. It is quite often said that way ... Double negatives at their best! 1wink.gif

It's called "litotes". Intentional use of a double negative to add emphasis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litotes

post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

If Steve were here this wouldn't have happened...

And now Apple is doomed...

post #11 of 28
Quote:

I'm sure that this will be fixed shortly

What an amazingly accurate prediction! :lol: 

And yes, I am replying to myself.:err:

post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Yup...might as well shut the company down now according to some people. Just like with any other hiccup Apple has. I'm sure the Tim Cook needs to be fired people are going off right now. 

post #13 of 28
Any store should be able to take money for products from customers when their POS system goes down or the internet does not work or whatever. I run into this more and more and it seems insane to me.
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That is a way of emphasizing a point.

No biggie
post #15 of 28
This is also unlikely to put a dent in Apple's universe denting.

Quote:

What an amazingly accurate prediction! lol.gif  

And yes, I am replying to myself.1bugeye.gif

What's even more impressive is that you're talking to yourself in the past.

How cool is that?

Quick, send a warning about something bad that happens to you in the future!
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Headline: Apple fails to sell anything within a two hour window. Witnesses say customers left empty handed.
post #17 of 28

This is why a good old fashion cash Register just works, I remember when Mastercard system went off line and stores could not process CC think about that. When you are loosing money because of technology you need to rethink things.

Edited by Maestro64 - 11/15/13 at 10:32am
post #18 of 28
Somewhere at Samsung a VP said, "Let the game's begin!!!" And pressed the FU button which of course is a virus sent to Apple. 1smile.gif
post #19 of 28
Writng this on my ipad mini with retina i just bought with the reserved system from right inside the store. Filled up the reservation from an imac in the store and got in line to get it.
My first mini. Got a 32g wifi
post #20 of 28
Obamacare brings in the best and the brightest from Google, Oracle, AMAZON to fix problems... I bet anything that Amazon was working a little overtime today!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #21 of 28
I'm laughing so hard right now, I'm a business system architect that was interviewed a few months back to upgrade the POS system...but obviously the cheap Indian labor with fake resume was hired for the contract! Maybe once Apple managers jump off the old, actually costly model, and near-shore or hey hire Americans the attrition rate of Apple customers would dissipate. Wake up a Apple and pay for quality labor! -MH
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhannah View Post

I'm laughing so hard right now, I'm a business system architect that was interviewed a few months back to upgrade the POS system...but obviously the cheap Indian labor with fake resume was hired for the contract! Maybe once Apple managers jump off the old, actually costly model, and near-shore or hey hire Americans the attrition rate of Apple customers would dissipate. Wake up a Apple and pay for quality labor! -MH

What the eff are you talking about. The POS are at Apple retail stores and it was built by Apple.
post #23 of 28

More was out. For me, Maps was out & Siri was out around that time.

post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

What the eff are you talking about. The POS are at Apple retail stores and it was built by Apple.

There's an AI article here about it:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/09/04/10/apple_stores_to_ditch_windows_easypay_systems_for_iphone_tech
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerFX View Post

Any store should be able to take money for products from customers when their POS system goes down or the internet does not work or whatever. I run into this more and more and it seems insane to me.

They can, for some products. But the system that validates personal pickups is a tad more complex. As is doing OOW repairs. Those were what was really affected. And phone sales apparently.

And it wasn't all stores. It was West Coast US mainly. So it was unlikely to be $25 mil in losses between all the factors. And as many have said, people tend to come back when it's Apple, whether out of stock or system issues, so they will recover.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Only, single troll post.

His point was that Apple like many companies are hiring off shore programmers to do their systems. This very well maybe true. Most of these people have minimal experience doing these kinds of systems but they can through 10 people at it for the cost of 1 experience person in the US. It is the way of the future and why these systems do not always work so well.

post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

His point was that Apple like many companies are hiring off shore programmers to do their systems. This very well maybe true. Most of these people have minimal experience doing these kinds of systems but they can through 10 people at it for the cost of 1 experience person in the US. It is the way of the future and why these systems do not always work so well.

Source?
post #28 of 28

The POS is a customized integrated system to Apple HQ ERP as the other person posted, as the Apple Store App interfaces with iTunes, Finance, CRM, Ops, Supply Chain...  There is an important effort to upgrade all the business processes, documentation, and a refresh of the app to align (catch-up) the POS system to iTunes group development -which all sit on a heavily customized SAP architecture. Apple has a BPR team to ensure this happens correctly and from having multiple buddies internally and the result of the incompetent managers in that team are evident with the article, e.g. choosing cheap unskilled labor without the the credentials or energy to keep the pace with Apple culture. They were able to update the Apple Store App successfully but only an efficient architect would map all that's needed properly. Do your HW before you name call a troll.  If you would search Dice.com or Apples site for positions at Apple HQ and sift through the job descriptions, they tell a story on internal "business" projects.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's retail point-of-sale system suffers nationwide outage