or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Former Microsoft CTO creates beautiful culinary app exclusively for iPad

Former Microsoft CTO creates beautiful culinary app exclusively for iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompr View Post

... if they priced the app at $2.99. Millions would buy it as opposed to (at most) thousands.

Thompson

That indeed must be the most difficult descision developers have to make: pricing. If they had a team of 15 working on it for 9 months @ 50k/year that could cost (over here, in NL):

50,000 x 1.6 (about the overhead costs for employers) x 15 / 12 x 9 = $900,000. Charging $80 would require 11,250 downloads. Charging $2,99 comes to 300M purchases. Excluding hardware, dev license, offices, photo & video equipment and and all that jazz.

Purely speculating here, obviously.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

This is the single volume "at home" edition which is normally $140 in hardback.
The $500 version is a five volume set that is geared toward those whose kitchen is more of a laboratory.

I am torn over supporting this due to his patent troll ways.
[/quote

Good, this time around looks like I'm getting proper quoting and replying to another user's comment.

Anyways. If you don't like the fact that he's a patent troll. Then get him where it hurts. Don't pay any dollars. Just DL the PDFs of the six volume set. Sure it ain't interactive, and they're high resolution scans. But at least you'll still have them. Beats nothing.

http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/7153205/Modernist_Cuisine_-_The_Art_and_Science_of_Cooking_%5BVol_1-6%5D_
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodDude View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

This is the single volume "at home" edition which is normally $140 in hardback.
The $500 version is a five volume set that is geared toward those whose kitchen is more of a laboratory.

I am torn over supporting this due to his patent troll ways.

Good, this time around looks like I'm getting proper quoting and replying to another user's comment.

Anyways. If you don't like the fact that he's a patent troll. Then get him where it hurts. Don't pay any dollars. Just DL the PDFs of the six volume set. Sure it ain't interactive, and they're high resolution scans. But at least you'll still have them. Beats nothing.

Stop promoting pirating. If you don't want the app, don't buy it.
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That indeed must be the most difficult descision developers have to make: pricing. If they had a team of 15 working on it for 9 months @ 50k/year that could cost (over here, in NL):

50,000 x 1.6 (about the overhead costs for employers) x 15 / 12 x 9 = $900,000. Charging $80 would require 11,250 downloads. Charging $2,99 comes to 300M purchases. Excluding hardware, dev license, offices, photo & video equipment and and all that jazz.

Purely speculating here, obviously.

Well that does make sense. That higher app cost will definitely require less purchases. And there's bound to be 11,250-13,000 users that are interested in downloading it. Even at $80 a pop. It does look like a quality app.
post #45 of 49
Ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Stop promoting pirating. If you don't want the app, don't buy it.

Ok, your right. My apologies, I don't mean any disrespect to any devs on here (or the devs of the app). Sorry. It's not that I don't want the app. I don't even have an iPad to use it, well not yet. But it does make getting an iPad an even more worthwhile investment. And increases the multitude of uses of the tablet.

I should of just hinted that there are other means to not support the patent troll that the author apparently is.

It's just too bad it's only the 'at home' version and not the full six volume one. When I initially saw the article I was excited and thought that it would be.
post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think it's going to be Alan Mullally. He's been an excellent CEO for Ford and he has an engineering background. Technology wouldn't scare him and he should be able to go after Microsoft's money losing divisions and sell them off or kill them without any problems. With an internal hire or someone with connections inside Microsoft, they would be less willing and able to make the tough decisions Microsoft needs now.

Only thing I really know about that guy is he sold Jaguar Land Rover from Ford who just broke the £1bn profit barrier and Aston Martin who are making around £1.7bn in profit. While Ford still make a loss in Europe and globally make around £5bn. Was it really that greater idea to sell them.

post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxfrogdog View Post

I would like to be able to support Modernist Cuisine, but Myhrvold's "real" job as co-founder of Intellectual Ventures (aka one of the biggest patent trolls) means no thanks.

Intellectual Ventures actually works closely with Google, MS, and other big companies to help them acquire patents cheaply from inventors.  Intellectual Ventures is just a tool to do work for big companies (i.e., big companies have outsourced their dirty work).    The scam is really on the individual inventors who end up getting very little for their technology.  The tech world is being duped by big companies into thinking they are the victims when they are really the perpetrators.  

post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

Intellectual Ventures actually works closely with Google, MS, and other big companies to help them acquire patents cheaply from inventors.  Intellectual Ventures is just a tool to do work for big companies (i.e., big companies have outsourced their dirty work).    The scam is really on the individual inventors who end up getting very little for their technology.  The tech world is being duped by big companies into thinking they are the victims when they are really the perpetrators.  

Intellectual property is no different from other types of assets. A well run business will leverage their assets to maximize a return on the investment. Companies do not exist solely because they make things people want. If the company is not run at an efficiency level that makes them competitive they risk being "lapped" by rivals that may be bigger and have more resources or smaller and faster.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodDude View Post

Well that does make sense. That higher app cost will definitely require less purchases. And there's bound to be 11,250-13,000 users that are interested in downloading it. Even at $80 a pop. It does look like a quality app.

Coming from you, that does makes sense 1biggrin.gif
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Former Microsoft CTO creates beautiful culinary app exclusively for iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Former Microsoft CTO creates beautiful culinary app exclusively for iPad