or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Review: Apple's second-generation iPad mini with Retina display

Review: Apple's second-generation iPad mini with Retina display - Page 4

post #121 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I CAN'T STAND THIS BULL SHEET!!!

For the last time stop comparing the iPadMini to the Nexus7/KindleHD7!  Those tablets are MUCH smaller.  Just stop it.  You need to compare the mini to the Nexus10 and HDX8.9.  This is seriously pissing me off.  I own a Kindle7 and its way smaller than the mini.  To a point that they are not even comparable.

Nexus 10 - $399
Kindle HDX 8.9 - $394
iPadMini R - $399

So wheres the price difference now?  Add to the fact the Mini will sell for a good $150-$250 if you decide to resell it in a year or two.

Hmm,
7.9 - 7 = 0.9"
10 - 7.9 = 2.1"

Imo the 7" tablets are closer in size....
post #122 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Hmm,
7.9 - 7 = 0.9"
10 - 7.9 = 2.1"

Imo the 7" tablets are closer in size....

These tablets have various aspect ratios so you have measure the display area not simply the diagonal.
post #123 of 160

Read about the small color gamut on the iPad rMini!  Anandtech has a detail study of the color gamut and it is the same one that was on the 2012 Mini!  It was the lowest of all the comparisons.  From people who know; for a lousy $4 more; Apple could move to the state-of- the-art large color gamut!  For another $2 more; they could move to the same color gamut as the Air!

Very disappointed in Apple for short cutting this on the rMini!

Edited by Harry Wild - 11/16/13 at 8:58pm
post #124 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

Read about the small color gamut on the iPad rMini!  Anandtech has a detail study of the color gamut and it is the same one that was on the 2012 Mini!  It was the lowest of all the comparisons.  From people who know; for a lousy $4 more; Apple could move to the state-of- the-art large color gamut!  For another $2 more; they could move to the same color gamut as the Air!

Very disappointed in Apple for short cutting this on the rMini!

Your prices, even if accurate, don't seem to consider Apple's volume in any of this. You don't realize supply isn't unlimited, right? There are a lot of decisions and compromises to be made when it comes to producing an item. The argument "Google can do it with the Nexus so Apple can do it" means nothing unless Google is producing at the same volume.

I ask you, if Apple had to choose between an excellent color gamut on a 1024x768 iPad Mini display or less than ideal color gamut on a Retina display for this year, what choice would you make?
post #125 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Your prices, even if accurate, don't seem to consider Apple's volume in any of this. You don't realize supply isn't unlimited, right? There are a lot of decisions and compromises to be made when it comes to producing an item. The argument "Google can do it with the Nexus so Apple can do it" means nothing unless Google is producing at the same volume.

I ask you, if Apple had to choose between an excellent color gamut on a 1024x768 iPad Mini display or less than ideal color gamut on a Retina display for this year, what choice would you make?

Coming from a consumer's or buyer's point of view; I expect Apple in each model to come up with the "best" in technology that they can come up with.  Why does Apple  always have to have a ranking of iPads.  Now the rMini is not only not competitive with the "Air" but is the "bottom" of tablets with tablets like the  Nexus 7, Tegra Note 7 and the Kindle HD Fire 7 ranked much higher then rMini!  

post #126 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Was it you that said this doesn't look like an Apple product? I'd have to agree with that too, since their other screens make sRGB. I suspect there's something inherently difficult about making this particular 326ppi panel that they're demanding from suppliers who haven't made them before, yet they're under pressure to deliver a retina mini now.

It's my understanding that the original non-Retina iPad mini had the same reduced gamut.

post #127 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

Now the rMini is not only not competitive with the "Air" but is the "bottom" of tablets with tablets like the  Nexus 7, Tegra Note 7 and the Kindle HD Fire 7 ranked much higher then rMini!  

No it's not. You can't take one aspect of one component and make a sweeping decision. I bought a Retina iPad Mini AFTER, almost immediately AFTER, reading AnandTech's review because it was the most ideal tablet choice for my needs. If it had been non-Retina for another year I would not have bought it.
Edited by akqies - 11/17/13 at 10:08am
post #128 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It's my understanding that the original non-Retina iPad mini had the same reduced gamut.

I missed that last year. So did the iPad 2 fall short. Here's Raymond Soneira:

"The iPad mini and iPad 2 both have a reduced Color Gamut due to weak Red and Blue primaries that result from the White LED Backlighting. It's an intentional tradeoff made to increase screen brightness, power efficiency and battery run time. The new iPad corrects these deficiencies and has a much larger Gamut that is an excellent match to the Standard so it can produce accurate colors as long as there is also an accurate Standard White Point and Standard Intensity Scale."

I searched under "iPad mini color gamut."

http://www.displaymate.com/Gamut_11.html

So it may be the backlight, and that's a bit of a shame, since it's for battery life. I'd rather have the color.
Edited by Flaneur - 11/17/13 at 8:39am
post #129 of 160

4.5 outta 5? ARE YOU KIDDING??

Retina display.

World first 64bit SoC.

Industry-wide cameras.

4:3.

All apps scale up and scale down for great usage.

100's of accessories already available.

FAST!!!

Industry-leading build quality.

Price goes up for better components. Law of the universe!

Limited supply? No! Really?? Competitors don't have such an issue until the END of their product cycles because...

Touch ID? The thing everyone has been decrying as a gimmick?

Too bad a plasticky, cheap, slow, poorly stocked for apps and devoid of accessories device gets the same score.

post #130 of 160
Quote:

No it's not. You can't take one aspect of one component and make a sweeping decision. I bought a Retina iPad Mini AFTER almost immediately AFTER reading AnandTech's review because it was the most ideal tablet choice for my needs. If it had been non-Retina for another year I would not have bought it.

He won't understand you unless you rephrase that in terms of a benchmark. 1wink.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #131 of 160

I compared the rear cameras at Apple store.  Pointing at the table, the retina mini seems producing sharper image than the mini.

post #132 of 160
Quote:

It's an honest problem for any manufacturer that strives to be the best, it seems to me. I'm sure it pains a bunch of people at Apple that these LG displays aren't totally there.

Regarding the LG displays it's reported they're going to be used on the next Nexus 10 being released in just a few more days. It could be interesting comparing how LG displays perform on the two Apple and Google devices. Perhaps they'll look pretty much the same, dunno.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #133 of 160
Now that I've seen what Dr. Soneira said about previous short-gamut iPads, it looks like Apple has made one of their trade-off decisions. As Steve said, all products are "packages of emphasis," meaning you have to cut some things you might want in order to get the basic view of your product underway.

In this case, it was battery life using white backlighting vs. better color gamut. Not that I understand the white light business. Awaiting more info on that, especially the DisplayMate review.

Meanwhile, the other attributes of the mini don't make me regret one bit having got one.
Edited by Flaneur - 11/17/13 at 4:44pm
post #134 of 160
Quote:

Now that I've seen what Dr. Soneira said about previous short-gamut iPads, it looks like Apple has made one of their trade-off decisions. As Steve said, all products are "packages of emphasis," meaning you have to cut some things you might want in order to get the basic view of your product underway.

In this case, it was battery life using white backlighting vs. better color gamut. Not that I understand the white light business. Awaiting more info on that, especially the DisplayMate review.

Meanwhile, the other attributes of the mini don't make me regret one bit having got one.

Low-End Google Nexus 7 Carries $152 BOM, Teardown Reveals 

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/Low-End-Google-Nexus-7-Carries-$157-BOM-Teardown-Reveals.aspx

Low-End iPad mini Carries $188 Bill of Materials, Teardown Analysis Reveals 

http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/Low-End-iPad-mini-Carries-188-Bill-of-Materials-Teardown-Analysis-Reveals.aspx

This is iPad mini not retina mini.

post #135 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Low-End Google Nexus 7 Carries $152 BOM, Teardown Reveals 
http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/Low-End-Google-Nexus-7-Carries-$157-BOM-Teardown-Reveals.aspx
Low-End iPad mini Carries $188 Bill of Materials, Teardown Analysis Reveals 
http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/Low-End-iPad-mini-Carries-188-Bill-of-Materials-Teardown-Analysis-Reveals.aspx
This is iPad mini not retina mini.

What's the point of your post? To show that a 40% smaller display with mostly inferior components costly less or that BoMs are pointless way to judge the R&D, quality and UX of a product?
post #136 of 160
Quote:

What's the point of your post? To show that a 40% smaller display with mostly inferior components costly less or that BoMs are pointless way to judge the R&D, quality and UX of a product?

My point is very clear. You can not understand because you read my post with a colored glass.
post #137 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

My point is very clear. You can not understand because you read my post with a colored glass.

Are those full sRBG colored glasses?
post #138 of 160
Cost of components are not so much a factor in the final iPad mini design. The constraints are size, weight, battery life, manufacturability in the tens of millions quickly, in spite of the 4x pixels, all still within the machined aluminum case. No amount of money spent would allow for "better" backlighting. Technology isn't there yet to put it all in that case.

We can enjoy watching them work this out over the next year or two as they sell all they can make, at least in the early months.
post #139 of 160
Quote:

Cost of components are not so much a factor in the final iPad mini design. The constraints are size, weight, battery life, manufacturability in the tens of millions quickly, in spite of the 4x pixels, all still within the machined aluminum case. No amount of money spent would allow for "better" backlighting. Technology isn't there yet to put it all in that case.

We can enjoy watching them work this out over the next year or two as they sell all they can make, at least in the early months.

Don't forget component availability for a given quality for the number of units Apple will need. This is something Apple has to contend with and few other CE vendors do. Samsung might even have to deal with this despite their volume since they have so many phone types to achieve this volume and even within the same product they switch up components.
post #140 of 160

Ordered my iPad Mini with Retina Display this morning. Looking forward to using it during my morning toilet sessions, when I read about my mayor Rob Ford and do my internet marketing work. :)

post #141 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post

And that would make sense for exactly 6 people in the entire market.

It's infuriating to read comments like this from people with no ability to think through their idiotic statement.

Since 99% of iPad users couldn't care less about SD cards...thus, no SD card slot. For the people that need it twice a year when they actually use a camera that uses SD cards...they have a small adapter.

And no, it would NOT make sense to compromise the design with a dust collector aka SD card slot for expandable storage either. Buy all what you need from start, cheap skate.

I'm expressing my opinion on what I would like to see in the next iPad, and this is how you respond? 

Cheap skate? Infuriating? Idiotic? Do you realize how dumb that sounds?

I own a studio and bought more than 30 iMacs, dozens iOS devices... all private money.

Cheap skate because of an SD port suggestion? 

The SD card is an industry standard used on even professional hardware nowadays.

I think an SD card, like on the iMac, makes sense, because it allows you to load in images and/or data from an external device very easily if other options are not available. 

post #142 of 160
Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Im expressing my opinion on what I would like to see in the next iPad

You’re not, though. You know exactly what’s going to be in the next iPad, and an SD card slot will never be it. Ever. In any model. 

You. Know. This. And you have for years. There’s no point in continuing to whine about it. Go buy an Android tablet and be rid of it.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #143 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

When we talk about instant ON/OFF, there's no place for laptop. Got it? Sale force on the fields, doctors in hospitals and more...do you think they have time to boot up, log on a labtop and open the application?

With SSDs there'd be no need to turn off the laptop, simply sleep mode...

post #144 of 160
Quote:

I think an SD card, like on the iMac, makes sense, because it allows you to load in images and/or data from an external device very easily if other options are not available. 

Apple's SD card adaptor for Lightning really does work very well - my sister has one, she just plugs in the card from the camera and the photos app automatically opens and asks if you want to download. But I agree with you, Apple clearly regards SD as an important standard, it's not just the iMac that has it but the Macbook Air, Macbook Pro and even the Mac mini.

post #145 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Apple's SD card adaptor for Lightning really does work very well - my sister has one, she just plugs in the card from the camera and the photos app automatically opens and asks if you want to download. But I agree with you, Apple clearly regards SD as an important standard, it's not just the iMac that has it but the Macbook Air, Macbook Pro and even the Mac mini.

With the dongle iPads have that very same functionality as needed: loading images from an SD card into the pad.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD822ZM/A/lightning-to-sd-card-camera-reader

post #146 of 160
Ah out of everyone on this board, I'd expect you to be the one responding. Talk about 'whining'.

Anyway I don't 'know' this. I'm honored that you think I have some kind of secret access to Apple's product road map, but it's too much honor really.

And. Stop. Using. Unnecessary. Dots. It's compensating for not making a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You’re not, though. You know exactly what’s going to be in the next iPad, and an SD card slot will never be it. Ever. In any model. 

You. Know. This. And you have for years. There’s no point in continuing to whine about it. Go buy an Android tablet and be rid of it.
post #147 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

I rather get a MacBook Air with a full OS inside instead the iOS toy!

Well then, do that! Get a MacBook Air. Whatever works for you.

I have both. Neither are "toys", as you put it, although, games on the iPad can be pretty great. Both are immensely useful tools. iPad Mini running Keynote, pushing a presso to a large screen while I wander freely around the stage, topic notes in hand (on the iPad). The first time you do that, you'll never refer to it as a toy again.

Oh, and ask the pilots of commercial airlines how they like having the 50 pounds of flight manuals installed onto their 1 pound "iOS toy" for use in flight instead. I'm guessing not one of them would prefer a MacBook Air in those cramped quarters. The iPad is just perfect.

Point being, yours was a silly comment, to say the least.

post #148 of 160
Anyway I don't 'know' this.

Yep, you do. You’ve been told before. And you’ve been told now. So go buy something that isn’t an iPad. Your wish will never be fulfilled.

And. Stop. Using. Unnecessary. Dots. It's compensating for not making a point. 

Point was made. Apparently you’re unable to read a single sentence, so parsing it into individual words helps.

post #149 of 160
Quote:

I'm expressing my opinion on what I would like to see in the next iPad, and this is how you respond? 

Cheap skate? Infuriating? Idiotic? Do you realize how dumb that sounds?

I own a studio and bought more than 30 iMacs, dozens iOS devices... all private money.

Cheap skate because of an SD port suggestion? 

The SD card is an industry standard used on even professional hardware nowadays.

I think Apple is trying to lead things in a less accessory-dependent direction when it comes to data sharing, delivery, etc.

If you have a studio full of Macs and iOS devices, then you need to start thinking out of that slot-based box, and into the cloud, airdrop, collaborative space.

Since my business partner also moved to a MacBook Air and iPhone, his thumb drive no longer travels with him. We don't need it. 

I have the "camera connection kit". It's an SD slot available on an as-needed basis. I've used it about 6 times in two years. I wouldn't have used it more often if it was built-in to the iPad. I rarely use SD at all now (for transport, although it's still used for storage in-device), since the devices loading the SD card with data almost all transmit over WiFi or a cabled connection now... 

You mentioned it would be convenient "if no other options were available". But, these days, options are readily available in multiple ways. And you DO have the option for a connection kit in the rare event it's needed.

I'd rather not have one more slot for something to get into, one more connector where something can break and adds expense to the device. 

The SD card meme is a dead horse well flogged in my opinion. 

Oh, and I agree with you that calling you names simply for expressing your opinion was uncalled for. No reason for that at all as far as I could see. I mean, other than flogging an old dead horse again :))

post #150 of 160
Quote:

"The iPad mini and iPad 2 both have a reduced Color Gamut due to weak Red and Blue primaries that result from the White LED Backlighting. It's an intentional tradeoff made to increase screen brightness, power efficiency and battery run time. The new iPad corrects these deficiencies and has a much larger Gamut that is an excellent match to the Standard so it can produce accurate colors as long as there is also an accurate Standard White Point and Standard Intensity Scale."

So it may be the backlight, and that's a bit of a shame, since it's for battery life. I'd rather have the color.

Good research, thank you. 

I think you've got a simple choice to make. Personally, with the Mini, I'd rather have the battery life than "perfect gamut". Stand-alone, and before reading the Anandtech review, I couldn't have told you the reds were lacking. It still looks completely awesome to my eyes. But I use the Mini differently than a full-sized iPad. More reading and reference, less all-out productivity.

So the trade off is pretty simple. If you need the fuller gamut/accuracy, add $100, 1.8" of screen size and a 1/4 pound of weight and just get the iPad Air.

If you want the smaller factor with the full battery life in retina (and I think probably most of us do), that's the trade off.  Apparently we can't have both yet.

I expect they'll get it sorted with the next generation though. Maybe. Are you willing to wait? :)

post #151 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Quote:

Good research, thank you.

I think you've got a simple choice to make. Personally, with the Mini, I'd rather have the battery life than "perfect gamut". Stand-alone, and before reading the Anandtech review, I couldn't have told you the reds were lacking. It still looks completely awesome to my eyes. But I use the Mini differently than a full-sized iPad. More reading and reference, less all-out productivity.

So the trade off is pretty simple. If you need the fuller gamut/accuracy, add $100, 1.8" of screen size and a 1/4 pound of weight and just get the iPad Air.

If you want the smaller factor with the full battery life in retina (and I think probably most of us do), that's the trade off.  Apparently we can't have both yet.

I expect they'll get it sorted with the next generation though. Maybe. Are you willing to wait? :)

^^^^^^^^^^

This for the win!

I own a iPad Mini right now. I love the heck of the thing. Whoever is trying to hammer this point home about the range of colors fails to note the profile is exactly the same as the prior Mini. On top of that they fail to point out how it is a trade off by failing to note how the current Nexus 7 and most Nexus products are faulted for terrible battery life. The iPad Mini Retina kills the Nexus 7 on benchmarks and then to top it off, Anandtech notes it lasts two hours longer playing videos and well over two hours longer when 3d gaming.

They are called trade-offs for a reason and the iPad Mini with a faster processor and bigger screen still manages to have much better battery life than the smaller and slower tablet. Apple matched the prior gamut while dramatically improving resolution, performance, and efficiency. That is more than good enough in my book.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #152 of 160
Thanks for your reply. Appreciated.

We indeed use cloud solutions a lot: Plastic SCM for asset storage, Dropbox for files etc.

The thing is that I personally work with video a lot. AVCHD and even ProRes and RAW are on SD. Sure, not many people will use that on their iPads but as an acquisition device SD is very very good and the progress in speed, storage size and reliability the past few years is impressive.

The problem with specifically iCloud is the fact it is not so useful for pro users, but great for backing up your phone etc: OS integration is very tight which Dropbox can't do ofcourse. I miss a 'normal' filesystem.
An SD card could be a useful "floppy drive" for the iPad, but I guess we differ in opinion there ;-)
Let's hope the SD card will become obsolete by better software, but I think it will be an important data carrier for creatives for the foreseeable time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

If you have a studio full of Macs and iOS devices, then you need to start thinking out of that slot-based box, and into the cloud, airdrop, collaborative space.

Oh, and I agree with you that calling you names simply for expressing your opinion was uncalled for. No reason for that at all as far as I could see. I mean, other than flogging an old dead horse again 1smile.gif)
post #153 of 160
I received mine this week. I can tell the colores don't pop as much as on my old iPad 3 or my new Retina MBP but the size, weight, look and feel make it the best tablet on the market. I've played with the Kindle Fire HDX and it was simply wasn't a contender for a myriad of reasons even if the display is technically superior.

I rarely used my iPad 3 but I suspect I'll be using my iPad Mini a lot more due to its smaller size.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #154 of 160
I sold my iPad4 and used the money towards a 128Gb mini. Worth it? You bet! The speed is great though not that much greater than the iPad4. Apple made the right move in making the mini. It's really great for reading, just the right size screen. Glad I waited till this upgrade to go mini. As it is I have no regrets in upgrading.
post #155 of 160
In reading all the comments about the screen colors and frankly I haven't noticed any real difference. Apple has done a great job in making the Mini a real contender in the tablet market. Technically, the Mini2 is much faster than the iPad4 but the real speed improvement won't be seen until 64bit apps start showing up.
post #156 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefHowell View Post

In reading all the comments about the screen colors and frankly I haven't noticed any real difference. Apple has done a great job in making the Mini a real contender in the tablet market. Technically, the Mini2 is much faster than the iPad4 but the real speed improvement won't be seen until 64bit apps start showing up.

I've noticed a difference in the screen color but not enough that makes me want a full sized iPad or prefer a non-Retina iPad with an excellent color gamut.

It's entirely possible your iPad has excellent color gamut. The reviews are showing that the ones tested are off but that doesn't mean some or even most are being made with more color accuracy. My hypothesis is Apple needed to widen the acceptable window for the displays in order to make yields for Retina on the Mini this year.

post #157 of 160
Apple is trying hard to improve their tablets but it's probably a waste of time and effort. Nearly all consumers want to buy a $200 Android tablet just to save money. Apparently most consumers can't differentiate the quality difference and just automatically buy the cheaper product especially if it's only half the price of an iPad. That's why the iPad's market share has fallen off a cliff.
post #158 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Both google and amazon lose money on every tablet they sell. This is not a business model Apple is about to compete with in pricing.

But both of those companies's products are gaining in market share and that's all that matters to everyone.

post #159 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple is trying hard to improve their tablets but it's probably a waste of time and effort. Nearly all consumers want to buy a $200 Android tablet just to save money. Apparently most consumers can't differentiate the quality difference and just automatically buy the cheaper product especially if it's only half the price of an iPad. That's why the iPad's market share has fallen off a cliff.

And yet still 50% larger than Sammy's.

Some "cliff".

post #160 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

But both of those companies's products are gaining in market share and that's all that matters to everyone.

Because losing money is every commercial business' dream?

No, not really.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Review: Apple's second-generation iPad mini with Retina display