or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung planning Galaxy phone with wrap-around display for 2014 launch

Samsung planning Galaxy phone with wrap-around display for 2014 launch - Page 2

post #41 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Samsung is developing so many phones with different abilities that they are unable to create a coherent message.

Producing the Round only for Korea prevented the rest of the world from seeing, touching or buying it. The Round was just for having a curved phone first. Have the South Koreans purchased that phone in large quantity? Nobody is talking about the phone. And Samsung is scrambling to talk about the next thing before the current thing can make progress.

A Galaxy S smartphone with a 64-bit microprocessor is coming. One with a finger print scanner is coming. One with wireless charging is coming. One with a retina scanner may be coming. One with three sides is coming.

So many phones and technologies without a singular strategic message shows how undisciplined Samsung is.

Keep up the great work, Samsung!

This. This. This. They just throw shit at a wall and end up copying everyone else because their shit stinks. Their 'money making' products are all replicas of Apple. What a joke this curved display idea is.
MacBook Pro, iMac, iPad 2, iPhone 4S
Please visit my simple and personal blog at www.simbarhoum.com
MacBook Pro, iMac, iPad 2, iPhone 4S
Please visit my simple and personal blog at www.simbarhoum.com
post #42 of 106

I am still trying to understand the value of this, I believe if they are doing this, it just to show they can do it, not because it has some sort of utility value.

It appears Samsung is respond to every rumor that has come out about an Apple product, except TV since they already know what Apple knows is that is a dead market you do not make money selling TV these days.

post #43 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by zid1977 View Post

A problem looking for a solution.

Desperately Seeking Susan

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #44 of 106
Samsung showed the first YOUM screen exactly 3 years ago. If it's taken this long to get into a product, there is either something wrong with the idea or they hadn't found the problem that needed solving.
post #45 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Samsung is like McDonalds. Apple is like In-n-Out Burger.

MMMmmmmmm, Animaaaal Styyyylllle.

post #46 of 106

I don't know if it's done correctly it could be a really cool idea, here is Nokia's take on it.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #47 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I don't know if it's done correctly it could be a really cool idea, here is Nokia's take on it.

full of gimmicks and not an easy OS to learn.

draw a circle to take a picture?  Really?

post #48 of 106
Quote:

So long as anyone but Apple does it would be great. Got it. /s
post #49 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Consider this from Soneira: http://daringfireball.net/linked/2013/11/11/concave-displays

Now consider a watch face with a sapphire display and underneath a circular display that could be slightly concave to help make it easier to see in daylight with less power used.

The article and the OP I was replying to was talking about wraparound displays, not concave displays.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #50 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I am still trying to understand the value of this, I believe if they are doing this, it just to show they can do it, not because it has some sort of utility value.

It appears Samsung is respond to every rumor that has come out about an Apple product, except TV since they already know what Apple knows is that is a dead market you do not make money selling TV these days.

It's what companies do when they don't know what consumers want. The trolls around here like to say Apple is doomed because Steve is gone because he was Apple's product visionary, but they never point out that Samsung never had a vision and applaud every twitch and spasm Samsung makes in the market trying to differentiate themselves.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #51 of 106
SAMI, keep throwing shit and see what type of shit sticks!

This dumb ass company must be blocked selling anything to anywhere but their own country.

But I wonder even if Korean people give shit to SAMI!

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #52 of 106

This seems like the first plausible use for a curved screen (even a blind squirrel can find a nut now and then). The search bar and apps on the side are of course ridiculous, but a more subtle slope that takes up less useful screen area might serve a few useful purposes: looks cool (an enhancement of Apple's parallax effect), show small controls (video playback, music controls, scroll bars), make it eaisier to do the "back" gesture (which may evolve to include switching between apps for faster multitasking), and it might be a way for apple to differentiate the rumored, larger screened iPhone pro without fragmenting the current screen ratio. Could be interesting, but can't yet figure out if if would be a gimmick or something that adds more than it takes away.

Edited by PatchyThePirate - 11/15/13 at 1:09pm

post #53 of 106

I am surprised that no one has come up with the double sided phone yet.

post #54 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The article and the OP I was replying to was talking about wraparound displays, not concave displays.

I know, I was just contributing to what I think Apple might do with a curved display that wasn't completely stupid like we've seen in this article (and that pointless Nokia video above).
post #55 of 106
Didn't Sony Do this in the 90s?
post #56 of 106
Quote:

So long as anyone but Apple does it would be great. Got it. /s

I never said such a thing, I simply posted the only other company I knew of that had ideas for a curved display like Samsungs. If Apple had posted a video along the lines of Nokia's idea I would have posted that. This is a friendly forum, we talk about technology from all walks of life, not just Apple. This thread is also about curved displays, not Apple's lack of it, don't let your silly undying loyalty to Apple cloud your mind so much that you can't see that there are many other company's out in the world with great ideas too.

Edited by Relic - 11/15/13 at 1:23pm
post #57 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Didn't Sony Do this in the 90s?

I looked up every phone Sony-Ericsson couldn't find any but I'm with you, I remember seeing a phone like this once before. Just can't place it. Curved phones are kind of cool looking though, I like the look of LG's new one. A little big for my taste though.

post #58 of 106
Quote:

I looked up every phone Sony-Ericsson couldn't find any but I'm with you, I remember seeing a phone like this once before. Just can't place it. Curved phones are kind of cool looking though, I like the look of LG's new one. A little big for my taste though.

why the fuk would you want photo's, websites, video's, games all distorted by a curved screen?

Welcome to 1980's CRT tube tv's.

post #59 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

why the fuk...
You've used that a lot today.
Surely their must be a more adult way of wording it. Looks like my teenage son messaging friends on Facebook
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #60 of 106
Quote:

full of gimmicks and not an easy OS to learn.

draw a circle to take a picture?  Really?

It's just an idea, not meant to be taken seriously. This phone doesn't exist yet, you do realize that but I have no doubt it will in some form or another come to light in the future. So it's interesting to watch what companies are thinking of. The Nokia development site where I got this video from has a forum attached to discuss the cons and pros of the design and GUI UI. Bringing users into the discussion is not a gimmicky idea, I think all manufactures should do this when developing new technology or even developing a new idea. So let's try and be a little open about it instead of calling it a gimmick, it's an idea.

Edited by Relic - 11/15/13 at 1:39pm
post #61 of 106
Quote:

why the fuk would you want photo's, websites, video's, games all distorted by a curved screen?

Welcome to 1980's CRT tube tv's.

I don't know, I haven't seen it up close yet. Why are you so quick to dismiss it without seeing it up close either? I don't get people like you, everything is crap until Apple deems it not. I have absolutely no doubt that Apple will also have a curved display in the next 3 years. This is the way technology is moving, every single display manufacture is now researching this technology and will have an example on the market by next year, Samsung and LG being the first.

post #62 of 106

I'm trying to figure out what Asian designed computing product has changed the direction of the industry in terms of a product design.

To me this wrap around screen looks more like a gimmick than anything else.    These gimmicks have to fundamentally change and improve how we use these devices and work, but I don't see this wrap around doing that. Just a gut feeling.

post #63 of 106

The iPhone 7 will have a wrap-around display in order to keep two groups happy:

1. Analysts who insist that Apple should have a big screen phone in their lineup.

2. Appleinsiders who insist that a 4" phone is perfect and anything bigger can't be used with one hand.

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #64 of 106
Quote:

I never said such a thing, I simply posted the only other company I knew of that had ideas for a curved display like Samsungs. If Apple had posted a video along the lines of Nokia's idea I would have posted that. This is a friendly forum, we talk about technology from all walks of life, not just Apple. This thread is also about curved displays, not Apple's lack of it, don't let your silly undying loyalty to Apple cloud your mind so much that you can't see that there are many other company's out in the world with great ideas too.

That's the kind of crap you say. If this is a friendly forum then try not pissing people off with passive-agressive comments where you attack others but then act all shocked when you get called out by others. I don't like it one bit!

Why post this Nokia video? It's not really an idea. It's cartoon. Do you give Warner Bros. credit for the wormhole when Elmer Fudd stuck his shotgun barrel in a rabbit hole and it appeared out of hole in a tree behind him? If Apple did it would be just as lame just like their concept video for the Knowledge Navigator.
post #65 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

The iPhone 7 will have a wrap-around display in order to keep two groups happy:

1. Analysts who insist that Apple should have a big screen phone in their lineup.

2. Appleinsiders who insist that a 4" phone is perfect and anything bigger can't be used with one hand.

I always thought Apple should have at least 2 or maybe three sized smartphones since people ranging from kids use phones all the way up to 7 foot tall people and their hand sizes are different.

I also think that Apple should offer cellular data/phone capabilities in ALL of the mobile devices like laptops/tablets providing the cell carriers can use the same phone number and not charge for additional phones on the same line.  That way we can always have cellular data and phone services so if we only want to carry one device, we can pick which one.  It's not so difficult to connect a BlueTooth ear piece or maybe a watch. Sometime to think about.  Tethering is great in a pinch, but it sucks battery life.

post #66 of 106

Ooooh, this is defiantly a cool idea, I want this.

post #67 of 106
Quote:

That's the kind of crap you say. If this is a friendly forum then try not pissing people off with passive-agressive comments where you attack others but then act all shocked when you get called out by others. I don't like it one bit!

Why post this Nokia video? It's not really an idea. It's cartoon. Do you give Warner Bros. credit for the wormhole when Elmer Fudd stuck his shotgun barrel in a rabbit hole and it appeared out of hole in a tree behind him? If Apple did it would be just as lame just like their concept video for the Knowledge Navigator.

Then go if you do not like it, you've been here all of two months,you have zero clout and absolutely no one will back you up when it comes to me, especially not now. So deal with it! This is the last post I will see from you as you have been blocked.

post #68 of 106
Quote:

You've been here two months, you are a guest in my house, behave yourself sir.

More passive-aggressive talk but now with an assertion of you being superior and oddly saying this forum belongs to you. You're a piece of work.
post #69 of 106
Quote:

Ooooh, this is defiantly a cool idea, I want this.

It mentions NFC. The wrap around is dumb. Where would your fingers go and how would you prevent inadvertent touches?
post #70 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I always thought Apple should have at least 2 or maybe three sized smartphones since people ranging from kids use phones all the way up to 7 foot tall people and their hand sizes are different.

I also think that Apple should offer cellular data/phone capabilities in ALL of the mobile devices like laptops/tablets providing the cell carriers can use the same phone number and not charge for additional phones on the same line.  That way we can always have cellular data and phone services so if we only want to carry one device, we can pick which one.  It's not so difficult to connect a BlueTooth ear piece or maybe a watch. Sometime to think about.  Tethering is great in a pinch, but it sucks battery life.

I always thought that is one thing missing from my Macbook Air is a SIM slot. Actually the hotspot feature doesn't eat up to much battery life but it is still very convenient to have a 4G connection built into the laptop itself. Every notebook I have owned since 2002 has had one except for my Apple notebooks. The Macbooks with a Express slot were great because you could add a cellular modem to them. Not sure why Apple has such a aversion to tech like NFC, 3G/4G for their modems, docking stations, battery slices, ect. Their notebooks are almost perfect business machines, especially for myself who loves Unix so much. I still miss those features I listed and will always have an additional laptop like a Thinkpad to fill that void but I will still continue buying Macbooks until the day Apple decides to merge iOS and OSX, God forbid.

post #71 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It mentions NFC. The wrap around is dumb. Where would your fingers go and how would you prevent inadvertent touches?

I'm sure motion detection will come into play here, it will detect which side is up, easy enough. Why is wrap around dumb, having two apps opened at the same time would be great. One side Safari the other SMS, ect. I would be into that. Like they said, Apple has filed a patent for a wrap around screen. I'm sure it's coming, especially when the competition is also pursuing such tech.

post #72 of 106
Quote:

It uses new technology to hover around near you and occasionally flips itself around.  You only rarely touch it with one finger when you need to.  Didn't you watch the video?  Sheesh.

post #73 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frood View Post

It uses new technology to hover around near you and occasionally flips itself around.  You only rarely touch it with one finger when you need to.  Didn't you watch the video?  Sheesh.

People are very emotional when posting around here, no worries though the second Apple does release this or something like it everyone will be on board, Apple will sell millions, it's just the way it is. Until then, gimmick, who needs it, stupid idea, etc. Seat belts, notebooks, more then one TV in a house, heck the telephone are examples of things that people thought were just gimmick's. It takes time for people to adjust to new ideas. Apple will have a wrap around display in the future, I have absolutely no doubt.

post #74 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by st88 View Post

The YotaPhone does just that, one side has an E-Ink display and the other side has an LCD:

Screen-Shot-2012-12-12-at-4.15.12-PM.jpg

For eBooks, that is interesting, I never heard of this brand. How long does the battery last and why is it so damn ugly, holy crap.

post #75 of 106
Quote:

Samsung was already planning a smartphone with a wrap around display for quite sometime now.  They displayed this prototype back in January:

DSC00588_verge_super_wide_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Other than further confirmation the device will come in 2014, this isn't exactly new. 

I don't know. Samsung has a well earned reputation as a copyist of other businesses (not only Apple's).

Maybe this is a for real invention of theirs. And maybe Apple is pretending to be interested in it because they know it doesn't make sense other than to show off the gee whiz tech. (Wow! If I roll the phone this way and that, I can read more stuff.)

Samsung could get the tech right, but fail at the user experience badly. Apple could ship the exact same Samsung! display and kill the user experience. Let's wait and see. This is interesting.

post #76 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk22901 View Post

I don't know. Samsung has a well earned reputation as a copyist of other businesses (not only Apple's).

Maybe this is a for real invention of theirs. And maybe Apple is pretending to be interested in it because they know it doesn't make sense other than to show off the gee whiz tech. (Wow! If I roll the phone this way and that, I can read more stuff.)

Samsung could get the tech right, but fail at the user experience badly. Apple could ship the exact same Samsung! display and kill the user experience. Let's wait and see. This is interesting.

Wait, is this a good idea or bad. ;) I think it's cool, not sure if Android is the best OS for it, I would like to see it on a Jolla Phone, which I still haven't received, urrrrgggh. Company says it's shipping by the end of this month, I would really like to see one more MeeGo's phone before I go, my Nokia N9 is still my favorite phone of all time.

post #77 of 106
Quote:

I'm sure motion detection will come into play here, it will detect which side is up, easy enough. Why is wrap around dumb, having two apps opened at the same time would be great. One side Safari the other SMS, ect. I would be into that. Like they said, Apple has filed a patent for a wrap around screen. I'm sure it's coming, especially when the competition is also pursuing such tech.
So what you're saying is that you can't use the phone while lying in your back.

Just because Apple patents something doesn't mean they'll use it in a shipping product.

As for wrap around screen, what happens if you drop it and it lands on the bend? Busts both sides up. Will it be a left handed or right handed phone?
post #78 of 106
Quote:

Just because Apple patents something doesn't mean they'll use it in a shipping product.

Apple patented an optical drive that is accessed from the bottom of the laptop. It's not a surprise that it never found its way into a shipping product.
post #79 of 106
Quote:

Samsung was already planning a smartphone with a wrap around display for quite sometime now.  They displayed this prototype back in January:
DSC00588_verge_super_wide_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg
Other than further confirmation the device will come in 2014, this isn't exactly new. 

There is a big difference between making a prototype and making a device in volume where the display and glass can both be produced reliably at a reasonable cost, and where the vendor has tested the design to be worth including in a shipping product.

I don't know when concept videos, mockups and prototypes became synonymous with actual shipping products but I'm guessing from people with such poor imaginations that they think the basic idea is somehow the real challenge.
post #80 of 106
Quote:

So what you're saying is that you can't use the phone while lying in your back.

As for wrap around screen, what happens if you drop it and it lands on the bend? Busts both sides up. Will it be a left handed or right handed phone?

Why will lying on your back change anything, have you ever played a racing game that uses motion control, does the playability change when your on your back. I understand that just because Apple filed for a patent doesn't mean it will happen but in this cases it's the logical next step in mobile evolution. It will happen, I have no doubt about it, please research what company's that produce displays are doing. Drop a current iPhone and it will most likely crack, so what's you point. Both, left and right, why do you think it would matter? Not sure why your fighting this but if Apple does introduce one does this mean you are done with them?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung planning Galaxy phone with wrap-around display for 2014 launch