or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple asks developers to focus on Mail, Graphics in first Mavericks 10.9.1 beta
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple asks developers to focus on Mail, Graphics in first Mavericks 10.9.1 beta

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
Apple on Friday supplied its development community with the first beta of OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks, a forthcoming maintenance and security update for the Mac operating system, and has asked testers to focus their efforts on Mail, Graphics, and VoiceOver.

Mavericks


People familiar with the first OS X 10.9.1 beta said it is identified as "build 13B27." The pre-release software is intended for testing purposes, and is not yet finalized for public release.

OS X 10.9.1 will presumably mark the first update for Mavericks since it debuted on the Mac App Store for free in late October. All Mac users with compatible systems running Snow Leopard or above can upgrade to Mavericks at no cost.

A minor update for Mavericks was issued last week to patch an issue with the native Mail app for Gmail users. It was issued via the Mac App Store.

Mavericks, named after a Northern California surf spot, brings several new features to the OS X operating system, though Apple also paid considerable attention to enhancing performance and battery life with its latest major release. Stats published soon after the release of Mavericks found that public adoption was three times faster than that of Apple's $20 Mountain Lion upgrade from 2012.

As Apple prepares its first maintenance update for Mavericks, the company is also working on its next major OS X release, version 10.10. Traffic data to AppleInsider published earlier this month revealed that testing of the unnamed future operating system has been growing steadily.
post #2 of 39
Cue all the newbies saying that it should be 11 that comes after 10.

Anyhow, I think 10.9 is truly a beautiful upgrade. So refined, I'm not having a single issue whatsoever. Could be due to a clean install (OSX and applications). Not restoring from backup but copying everything over manually. Fresh .plists and all that.

Everything is fast, the few issues I had (would awake spontaneously from sleep, 4 finger gesture on desktop trackpad wouldn't show the desktop) are gone now.

I do have some issues, design wise, for iOS7, but that's not for this thread.

Keep it up, Apple.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #3 of 39
I'm loving it too and the under the hood battery life enhancements and better efficient ram usage drawn by making the OS more savvy is really progressive stuff.
post #4 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Cue all the newbies saying that it should be 11 that comes after 10.

Anyhow, I think 10.9 is truly a beautiful upgrade. So refined, I'm not having a single issue whatsoever. Could be due to a clean install (OSX and applications). Not restoring from backup but copying everything over manually. Fresh .plists and all that.

Everything is fast, the few issues I had (would awake spontaneously from sleep, 4 finger gesture on desktop trackpad wouldn't show the desktop) are gone now.

I do have some issues, design wise, for iOS7, but that's not for this thread.

Keep it up, Apple.

Here's an issue - right click attached ms office document in an email (Mail) and ask for it to open in equivalent iWork app and the ms app opens. Move the attachment to the desktop and it works. 

post #5 of 39
I made the jump from snow leopard, a clean install and is a remarkable os. Only issues with safari freezing the mac, but that was down to some extensions, uninstalled them and no other issues. Happy but I don't like mail as much as I did on snow leopard.
post #6 of 39

Mavericks is great.  (the updates to Pages, Keynote, Numbers, well... what were they thinking???)

 

There are two problems I have run in to.

 

First, wake from sleep can be very slow and the screen jumps through two or three iterations before coming up full (outlines of where things were/are to be, bluish screen).  This could be because I just installed directly with the App store and did not do a fresh install.  I may do that at some point because I can bet that I have a bunch of junk aboard.  Will wait until 10.9.1 is released before I do the reinstall as it isn't that much of a problem (I hope...!)

 

The second problem is with one element of one app: the render node for Carrara.  The main app works fine on a single machine, but the main and render node (on a 2nd Mac running Mavericks, too) will not work together, though they see each other.  The render node also will just spontaneously crash.  The maker says it is something with the security workings of Mavericks.  Poser Pro, however, works fine with its render node.

 

I too have major issues with iOS7 and dread that the design elements there will make their way to Mac OS as in 10.10.  10.9 would be my last upgrade for a while if that happens.

 

 

Edit:

 

Safari occasionally has a minor crash with error report.  Never had that before.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post
 

Mavericks is great.  (the updates to Pages, Keynote, Numbers, well... what were they thinking???)

 

 

I too have major issues with iOS7 and dread that the design elements there will make their way to Mac OS as in 10.10.  10.9 would be my last upgrade for a while if that happens.

 

I have major issues with people that have issues with iOS 7 "design". What do you know about design? Or UI? Other than you just went through a change and aren't coping well?

post #8 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Cue all the newbies saying that it should be 11 that comes after 10.

Anyhow, I think 10.9 is truly a beautiful upgrade. So refined, I'm not having a single issue whatsoever. Could be due to a clean install (OSX and applications). Not restoring from backup but copying everything over manually. Fresh .plists and all that.

Everything is fast, the few issues I had (would awake spontaneously from sleep, 4 finger gesture on desktop trackpad wouldn't show the desktop) are gone now.

I do have some issues, design wise, for iOS7, but that's not for this thread.

Keep it up, Apple.

the only problem I've seen is a Java script problem with 10.9, but that's it.  Otherwise, all I  see is a lot of people noticing problems with apps that might not have been updated yet. But with all major releases, there will be some initial bugs, but hopefully Apple will fix in a timely manner like they've done previously.

 

I'm just wondering if Apple is going to implement an updated file system in 10.10.

post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
 

I have major issues with people that have issues with iOS 7 "design". What do you know about design? Or UI? Other than you just went through a change and aren't coping well?

 

 

You are so considerate!  

 

Thanks!

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
 

I have major issues with people that have issues with iOS 7 "design". What do you know about design? Or UI? Other than you just went through a change and aren't coping well?

 

What were you thinking Bergermeister???? PMZ says you simply don't know enough to have issssuuuu333ssess!!!!11!!!11

post #11 of 39
My coworker is having trouble printing to a Dell 2350 attached to a windows XP box. Mail crashes when he prints as well. I haven't been able to figure the issue out. The print spool pauses after being sent..

Might need a clean install.

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin
Reply

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.
- Lily Tomlin
Reply
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post
 

 

What were you thinking Bergermeister???? PMZ says you simply don't know enough to have issssuuuu333ssess!!!!11!!!11

 

 

Me knows.  I's thinkeng that were mine problems.  Me don'ts gone skuuling.

 

But him are many considerate.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Here's an issue - right click attached ms office document in an email (Mail) and ask for it to open in equivalent iWork app and the ms app opens. Move the attachment to the desktop and it works. 

Didn't know that. Guess they are requesting devs to test Mail.app in this beta.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #14 of 39

How about fixing the disappearance of local syncing of Calendars and Contacts with iOS devices? The main thread (there are several) on Apple Discussions has over 70 pages of complaints.

Regards Isidore
Reply
Regards Isidore
Reply
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isidore View Post
 

How about fixing the disappearance of local syncing of Calendars and Contacts with iOS devices? The main thread (there are several) on Apple Discussions has over 70 pages of complaints.

 

Which is a tiny, tiny, tiny minority of paranoid schizos, just like the over 100 page thread of those wanting to downgrade back to iOS 6 because it hurts their eyes and they don’t like the flat look. As in the thread you mention most of the commenters are the same small number of people ranting and raving over and over again, followed by another small number of people refuting the others position and so on and so on. It’s all background noise.

 

So get over it or change platforms.

post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
 

 

Which is a tiny, tiny, tiny minority of paranoid schizos, just like the over 100 page thread of those wanting to downgrade back to iOS 6 because it hurts their eyes and they don’t like the flat look. As in the thread you mention most of the commenters are the same small number of people ranting and raving over and over again, followed by another small number of people refuting the others position and so on and so on. It’s all background noise.

 

So get over it or change platforms.

 

 

 

 

Why are people who have a problem when you don't dismissed as "paranoid schizos"?  What they say as "background noise"?  And why should those people switch platforms?  Yes.  Many people like the new OS and iOS.  Some don't, and some actually have real, serious problems (loss of data, loss of accessibility, vertigo).  That does not make them any lesser than those who like it and they shouldn't be ridiculed for their positions/opinions/health.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaba View Post

I made the jump from snow leopard, a clean install and is a remarkable os. Only issues with safari freezing the mac, but that was down to some extensions, uninstalled them and no other issues. Happy but I don't like mail as much as I did on snow leopard.

 

Btw: 3rd Party Extensions whether on Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc., that aren't updated for the latest browser libraries hang on every OS they have a port.

post #18 of 39
@ Bergermeister: Thanks!
@ IKrupp: whoa there keep your shirt on! It may be ok in St. Louis but those of us not in the US have less sorry, NO protection from your government's blanket snooping- they even tap Angela Merkel's phone! Besides, our data protection laws would make it illegal to store personal information in such a cloud service. I'm sure Apple want to sell their products outside the US so isn't it in their interest to fix this?
post #19 of 39
Oh and by the way the thread in Apple discussions has over 70,000 views, irrespective of how many are posting. Are they ALL paranoid?
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by tink View Post

My coworker is having trouble printing to a Dell 2350 attached to a windows XP box. Mail crashes when he prints as well. I haven't been able to figure the issue out. The print spool pauses after being sent..

Might need a clean install.

 

And this applies to an Apple Rumors site?????  

post #21 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
 

I have major issues with people that have issues with iOS 7 "design". What do you know about design? Or UI? Other than you just went through a change and aren't coping well?

What appeals to you, pmz, may not appeal to others. Are you to say that your opinion should predominate and not someone else's? Rather self-centered, one may think. Design is a matter of aesthetics, and personal preferences differ. Obviously, the new Notes and other graphics are extremely spare - almost stark - compared to previous versions. It appeals to some people and not others, and often perceptions are a matter of degree. To my eye, the Apple design pendulum has swung past center toward Bauhaus and the likes of Mies van der Rohe. Miesien architecture changed the skyline of the world's cities over several decades, but even it has yielded much of its epochal influence to postmodernism - incorporating elements of personal preference and personality.

 

Whereas: "Modernist Ludwig Mies van der Rohe is associated with the phrase 'less is more'; in contrast (Postmodernist Robert) Venturi famously said, 'Less is a bore.'" (Wikipedia)

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #22 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post
 

 

 

 

 

Why are people who have a problem when you don't dismissed as "paranoid schizos"?  What they say as "background noise"?  And why should those people switch platforms?  Yes.  Many people like the new OS and iOS.  Some don't, and some actually have real, serious problems (loss of data, loss of accessibility, vertigo).  That does not make them any lesser than those who like it and they shouldn't be ridiculed for their positions/opinions/health.

 

Have you read the thread indicated? I have. It’s all NSA this and NSA that, the government this and the government that. It’s not about whether the syncing works or not. It does. It’s about paranoia and politics. Most commenters are Europeans. Suggestions have been made about setting up local sync servers and such but noooooo... Apple must do this or that or else. I don’t mind people having an opinion or  wanting certain features restored. It’s the raging, vitriolic attitudes expressed. And those types need to be confronted and put down.

post #23 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Which is a tiny, tiny, tiny minority of paranoid schizos, just like the over 100 page thread of those wanting to downgrade back to iOS 6 because it hurts their eyes and they don’t like the flat look. As in the thread you mention most of the commenters are the same small number of people ranting and raving over and over again, followed by another small number of people refuting the others position and so on and so on. It’s all background noise.

So get over it or change platforms.

Well said. Apple should either close or moderate that site. It is full of total rubbish and too many folks think it is some sort of official place to get answers.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred242 View Post

@ Bergermeister: Thanks!
@ IKrupp: whoa there keep your shirt on! It may be ok in St. Louis but those of us not in the US have less sorry, NO protection from your government's blanket snooping- they even tap Angela Merkel's phone! Besides, our data protection laws would make it illegal to store personal information in such a cloud service. I'm sure Apple want to sell their products outside the US so isn't it in their interest to fix this?

 

Fix what? Are you saying it is illegal to install Mavericks in your part of the world right now because Mavericks syncs through iCloud? You certainly seem to indicate that. That’s news to me.  

post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred242 View Post

Oh and by the way the thread in Apple discussions has over 70,000 views, irrespective of how many are posting. Are they ALL paranoid?

It is easy enough to find countless post with a so called problems which are clearly caused by their own ignorance and read it all the way through and see a sort of group hysteria as folks write "I have that too". Just reading Apple Insider you must realize Samsung, Google etc. have teams of folks paid or just volunteer acolytes posting misleading information and down right lies to fuel the fires of these situations and trying to start Antenna Gates.

As I said earlier if Apple had teams dealing with the questions to prevent folks spouting rubbish I would be all for it but they don't. Sure there are some knowledgable folks in that forum but the vast majority are like the blind leading the blind and trolls galore. IMHO that site should be close as i think it does more harm than good.

Meanwhile ... Mavericks 9.1 ... is it my imagination or is Safari .... no, that joke is too old ... 1biggrin.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Cue ...

whatever...

 

i'm not crazy that whenever i start iTunes after 12 hours (sleepy time), i don't get the same artist/album/song+ i left off at. when are they gonna fix that?

post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post


I'm just wondering if Apple is going to implement an updated file system in 10.10.

It's not Carbon anymore, is it? It is 64 bit I thought, so what is it that you'd like to see? Or is it design wise, and what would you like to see then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post


i'm not crazy that whenever i start iTunes after 12 hours (sleepy time), i don't get the same artist/album/song+ i left off at. when are they gonna fix that?

That sounds annoying. Guess all you can do is try a clean .plist and give feedback to Apple. But if there aren't many with this problem you might be out of luck...
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #28 of 39
Actually before with all my usage I have gotten 5 Safari quits with the error report.
Although Safari didn't quit and I could still run it, not frozen?
This on a new iMac "slim" full maxed.
post #29 of 39
Am I mistaken or is this an Easter egg in iOS 7. When you look up Mavericks beach on maps? I don't see this icon when I look up other California beaches


post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


It's not Carbon anymore, is it? It is 64 bit I thought, so what is it that you'd like to see? Or is it design wise, and what would you like to see then?
 

I don't know why we have to run permissions.  

post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Here's an issue - right click attached ms office document in an email (Mail) and ask for it to open in equivalent iWork app and the ms app opens. Move the attachment to the desktop and it works. 

Works at my end. But I did a clan install and did not restore from backup, but copied over manually. Maybe something awry went with your 10.9 install? Did you upgrade?
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

It's not Carbon anymore, is it? It is 64 bit I thought, so what is it that you'd like to see? Or is it design wise, and what would you like to see then?

 
I don't know why we have to run permissions.  

You mean the fix permissions in Disk Mgr? I stopped doing that since, what, 10.4? No issues without running that. Well, I may have, just like I may have a virus; I just wouldn't know. Ignorance is bliss.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #33 of 39

I would probably wait till 10.9.4 or even 10.9.5. It still seems too raw to be sure it won't glitch awfully or suddenly loose any data.

post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post

I would probably wait till 10.9.4 or even 10.9.5. It still seems too raw to be sure it won't glitch awfully or suddenly loose any data.

That is preposterous to suggest. Besides, I think they learned their lesson from the Oxford 922 fiasco with 10.3.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #35 of 39

Mavericks/iCloud and Europeans: one final comment on this as we are getting rather off topic. I never said it's illegal to use Mavericks in Europe. What I said is that if you use iCloud to store any personally identifiable data, other than a personal (i.e. not for business use) plain address book, then you are not complying with the Data Protection Act in the UK and similar legislation in other European countries. Before you continue your attack on me and all the other non US customers of Apple's, just for a moment try and reverse all the labels. Put iCloud's servers in, say, China and then tell me you wouldn't be very unhappy about your data being under the control of a foreign country's laws. And no, I am not comparing the US with China. Your country has a most admirable constitution which your government is choosing to subvert and ignore.

post #36 of 39
10.9 broke my DisplayLink adapters. I have two USB-to-DVI adapters that worked fine under 10.8 and now only one display works and my MacBook forgets the arrangement of the screens each time I reboot.

When I Bootcamp into Windows 8, both adapters work perfectly -- a bit frustrating and more than a bit ironic.
post #37 of 39

Really? That's all? How about about the broken power button that shuts everything off the instant you accidentally tap it? (Downloading a large file off of a server that doesn't support byte resume? Too bad! It's cancelled! Listening to music? Nah, why would you want to do that, you accidentally tapped the power button that's conveniently located right next to the backspace button! In the middle of solving a programming problem? Not anymore, it's time to turn off everything!) The 10 or so kernel panics I've gotten, all while the machine was supposedly sleeping? Ohh but I get to "tag" my files. How about I tag Mavericks as a piece of  

 

You get what you pay for. Mavericks is the worst OS X  "upgrade" yet and I've been on OS X since 10.1. If you haven't put Mavericks on your system yet - don't. Especially if you have a Retina MBP or Air, and actually work on your computer.

post #38 of 39
Originally Posted by Miss Priss View Post
Am I mistaken or is this an Easter egg in iOS 7. When you look up Mavericks beach on maps? I don't see this icon when I look up other California beaches

 

I think less easter egg and more just giving extra information since it’s related to an Apple product.

 

If Apple wasn’t so secretive, I would think they would have thrown down a lot more information about the facility at Infinite Loop (whereas other companies would have no such extra info).

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #39 of 39

10.9 has been a brilliant update for me. I'm sure the 16GB of ram in the new machine is also playing its part but this has been the smoothest update yet.

 

Very early on I had an issue where, if the laptop woke from sleep to a Safari page that was open it would render the page as scrambled rubbish. But flicking to a new desktop and back again caused the page to render correctly. Since the EFI firmware update I haven't seen this issue again, so it seems that it is fixed.

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple asks developers to focus on Mail, Graphics in first Mavericks 10.9.1 beta