or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › The curious case of IDC, Gartner & Strategy Analytics' PC, phone & tablet data on Apple

The curious case of IDC, Gartner & Strategy Analytics' PC, phone & tablet data on Apple - Page 6

post #201 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Then I suppose getting a thank you is out of the question for making you aware that other "only name and password" services like Disqus really do much more than what you realized. You had no idea at all but you should have.

Don't fall into the trap that the anti-Google crowd tries to set to keep anyone from looking in their direction too. I've said before there's no white hats, yet you and others like you are still lulled into thinking "Google is the only one" and so don't bother looking at other companies policies and terms of use. If Google disappeared tomorrow they'd be quickly replaced by others and some of those might be a whole lot more nefarious, greedy and untrustworthy when they see the dollar signs. "Melior diabolus quem scies" as my sig says.

IMO Google is among the most transparent of all the techs when it comes to disclosure. Perfect? Hardly. That old "don't be evil" meme outlived it's usefulness a long time ago. Everyone knows Google makes most of it's money from advertising and a lot of folks consider that wrong for whatever reason. But at least in their quest to be the best in their industry they seem to keep whatever they mine in their own custody and control, and put the user privacy disclosures and controls all in one place instead of trying to hide it. and hope no one goes looking.

Try figuring out Microsoft Privacy Policies. They got a dozen of 'em in a dozen different places applying to a dozen various scenarios. Apparently they're of the mindset that obfuscation is the best policy so what you don't know won't hurt you. Apple doesn't disclose what they know about you either to the best of my knowledge and monetizing users is getting a lot more attention from them lately. Their privacy policy doesn't really tell you anymore than Google's does. That's why the Google Dashboard is helpful for delving into the details. There's a few techs who should follow suit IMO.

"they all do it" is no defense or excuse.

on a scale of 1 to 10 (not counting the NSA), Google scores the 10 for maximum data mining of its hundreds of millions (billions?) of users in so many ways. you're right, we don't really know what MS is mining from its built in Windows OS "back door," and i'm sure it copies Google's practices as much as it can with all its ecosystem services, so we can't really score them, but MS could be a 10 too. they just aren't as good at monetizing it.

none of the others have the same massively wide scope of opportunities as those two. Facebook and Amazon and Yahoo i'm sure mine everything possible from their lesser ecosystems - let's give them a 7. god only knows what Samsung is doing - it's Korea - but their ecosystem is small, so a 4 is probably the most they can manage from their Android overlays and smart gadgets (not counting their world-leading industrial espionage). Websites like Yelp and many others mine as much as they can from whatever we use them for, so give them a 3. Apple limits its mining to its various stores and whatever else you opt-in to, so call it a 2 - the most self-restrained of all the big guys.

but "they all do it" is just no exculpation. and Google's limited "transparency" about its doings is just a fig leaf for suckers.

post #202 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

"they all do it" is no defense or excuse.

You're correct, it isn't.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #203 of 206
Except statcounter also says Android dominates over iOS worldwide:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-ww-monthly-201210-201310
Now in the U.S., iOS has a bit of a lead in usage:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-US-monthly-201210-201310
post #204 of 206
This is a great thoughtful piece as many here have commented and I hope that it sparks additional investigative pieces that might change some of the deceptive & biased 'market research' data from these companies. Also noted another article today about how Android-based USB TV sticks are being counted as tablets. There is way too much gaming of this system and with all the internet/web technology for B-to-B available, it would be so far superior if there was a way to bypass market research firms and compile sales data DIRECTLY from sellers & manufacturers.
post #205 of 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belltower View Post

Except statcounter also says Android dominates over iOS worldwide:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-ww-monthly-201210-201310
Now in the U.S., iOS has a bit of a lead in usage:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-US-monthly-201210-201310

But if you look at the OS chart, iOS > Android
post #206 of 206

It seems that John Dvorak has made himself look like the south end of a north bound horse again...:lol: 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • The curious case of IDC, Gartner & Strategy Analytics' PC, phone & tablet data on Apple
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › The curious case of IDC, Gartner & Strategy Analytics' PC, phone & tablet data on Apple