or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Major Foxconn factory to cease iPhone 5c production, focus on Apple's iPhone 5s

Rumor: Major Foxconn factory to cease iPhone 5c production, focus on Apple's iPhone 5s - Page 2

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Sounds like Apple is just letting Foxconn handle the 5S and Pegatron handles the 5C. Well, that makes sense. I don't see what the problem is. I wouldn't expect the 5C to sell as well as the 5S. Apple typically sells more of their top of the line models of iPhones as the older models ramp down in demand.

We will probably never know anything for sure, but it would be interesting to know if the 5c is selling proportionally the same compared to the 5s, as the 4s did to the 5.

Another thought: The 5s is traditionally to be a smaller upgrade to the 5, so that next year the 6 can be a breakout bigger step in advancement. With the fingerprint sensor, the 64 bit A7 CPU and the M7, the 5s is quite a step forward... then next year, the iPhone 6 ought to be awesome!!
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

We will probably never know anything for sure, but it would be interesting to know if the 5c is selling proportionally the same compared to the 5s, as the 4s did to the 5.

Another thought: The 5s is traditionally to be a smaller upgrade to the 5, so that next year the 6 can be a breakout bigger step in advancement. With the fingerprint sensor, the 64 bit A7 CPU and the M7, the 5s is quite a step forward... then next year, the iPhone 6 ought to be awesome!!

Actually, the 5C is the smaller upgrade, they only put in a slightly bigger battery, but otherwise, it's just the Polycarb version.  The 5S was actually an improved camera, flash, processor (64 bit instead of 32 bit).

The IPhone 6 might also have the A8 processor. I'm hoping they put more RAM inside as well, etc. etc.  I'm hoping the larger screen model ships by around June.  Which might be possible since I think Apple has to release phones twice a year once for the larger screen (around 5inch) model and then one for the updated smaller screen (4inch).   I don't think Apple could release both models at the same time and have a chance at keeping up with demand.

Edited by drblank - 11/18/13 at 9:42am
post #43 of 59
Doooomed!
post #44 of 59
Why is it a bad thing if the 5C isn't selling as well as the 5S? That's a good thing for Apple as the 5S is a higher priced and higher quality product. This has been the case in the past where the iPhone 5 outsold the 4S. There's a tracking company here that shows some sales ratios:

http://www.localytics.com/blog/2013/is-the-iphone-5c-catching-up-and-what-to-expect-from-apples-1022-ipad-launch/

It suggests the ratio of 5C to 5S is improving but still the 5S outsells the 5C globally 2.3:1 and the increase in the ratio could be down to 5S demand decreasing from its peak at launch.

Digitimes sucks though and is a paid shill for Samsung so that disclaimer should always be appended to any report they hand out.
post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jume View Post

5C is a good phone but pricing is way off. Why the hell would I even want to buy 5C when I cash in 100$ more and I get a lot more of a phone? If 5C would be half or even 3rd the price of 5S then I guess this would be selling much better as it is currently. I mean it's not a huge difference in price when one costs 549$ and other is 649$ and offers a lot more. No brainier to me!

5c is used to boost the sale of 5s.

post #46 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

5c is used to boost the sale of 5s.

That's what I've been thinking.  So many people were buying older iPhones instead of the latest iPhone that Apple delivered a  less desirable iPhone at high price point to encourage people to buy iPhone 5s.  The only thing that makes me think that is not the case is the colorful change in iOS 7.  They went all-in matching the obnoxious, I mean bright, colors of the iPhone 5c's.   :^)

post #47 of 59
Originally Posted by Brian Ward View Post
So many people were buying older iPhones instead of the latest iPhone

Not really. Both old models’ sales equalled the new model’s. Apple did nothing different this time around.

post #48 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not really. Both old models’ sales equalled the new model’s. Apple did nothing different this time around.

We are saying that perhaps Apple wanted more newer model sales. Not in disagreement regarding relative sales.

post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by stynkfysh View Post

I was in a Verizon store about a week after the iPhone launch and there were 20 people in the store. The 5s was sold out, but the 5c was available. Not a single one of the 20 people were looking at the 5c. That's a small sample and could mean nothing, but there was zero interest in the 5c when I was there. This was in San Diego, CA.

I wonder if Apple would at least put in a few 'normal(IMO)' colors- Black, White, Deep blue, Dark green, would sales increase with the 5c (assuming Apples wants 5c to increase)? with these colors seems like only junior high crowd might like these colors... IM snobbish O.

Oh BTW- wait till next year and 5c will be free on contract and then $?? off contract. That would be a st/deal... except for those fungly colors! 1smile.gif
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #50 of 59
Quote:

Well from this looks like you never really used your iPad for anything else then showing around and browsing web? First let me tell you that I buy only the best apps out there for the purpose. So let me give you couple of examples:

EXAMPLE1:

Someone sends me via email a list of things that I need to add into a document (pages, excel, html or whatever). Yes I use iPad for content creation and quick fixes to my code when I am on the move. In this case I need to switch back and fort between mail and productivity apps if the list is long. And it makes me go crazy. That's one of the things that comes around very often.

EXAMPLE2:

I am doing a Skype chat/call or whatever on iPad and a buddy asks me hey do you have a phone number from this and this person. Yes I have wait I have to switch there and back again. God forsake he asks for email or some other detail as well. Switch 5 times to copy paste everything again.

EXAMPLE 3:

I am assembling some document together from multiple websites, and/or emails. Well there goes the same story again...

I mean I don't need full functionality of side to side apps. Each app could easily have 'striped-down' side view that you could stack up to another app. For example email would be currently opened email. Safari currently opened tab and so on... Windows 8, as much as I hate that crap, handles this very well, and what's the saddest part, is useful! And don't give me crap about performance and other multitasking can-do-cannot-dos. They do it and it works fine! There's tons of other problems why their tablets don't work, but this is one of the brightest sides of their tablets.

The iPad is all about simplicity.

Go get a surface.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
post #51 of 59

The 5c is the G4 Cube of iPhones. 

I live in CA and I have never seen a 5c out in the real world. 

post #52 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

And how many newly bought iPhone 4S's did you see within the first two months after the iPhone 5 was released?

The 5C is neither a flagship nor a phone people go out of their way to get so why expect it to have the same sort as draw as the 5S? Do you think the colored plastic casing is suppose to make it outsell the 5S? I sure hope not. It's goal is to likely to just sell slightly more than the iPhone 5 would have as an old phone had they kept it in the same position the 5C has now.
post #53 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

And how many newly bought iPhone 4S's did you see within the first two months after the iPhone 5 was released?

The 5C is neither a flagship nor a phone people go out of their way to get so why expect it to have the same sort as draw as the 5S? Do you think the colored plastic casing is suppose to make it outsell the 5S? I sure hope not. It's goal is to likely to just sell slightly more than the iPhone 5 would have as an old phone had they kept it in the same position the 5C has now.

My point was it's overpriced. Like the G4 Cube, why spend all that money when you could buy a full power G4 tower at near the same price? 

post #54 of 59
Quote:

My point was it's overpriced. Like the G4 Cube, why spend all that money when you could buy a full power G4 tower at near the same price? 

So you're saying Apple selling up to two previous year iPhones for years now has netted them no profit because you and I would prefer to buy the latest model?
post #55 of 59

Shiftng production to the more profitable offering sounds good to me.

Though the vast majority of these reports turn out to be crap don't they?

post #56 of 59
Quote:

Ok guys I'm giving up. Look's like you'all just experts here. I'm just saying from what I see and what I read. I have seen 0 people with iPhone 5C's in hand, while I have seen hundreeds with iPhone 5S. I guess there would be the same as if 5C never existed. Nobody wants it and that's a fact!

You have seen hundreds? Wow, it is amazing you have run into a hundred people who 1) don't have a case on their phones, and 2) you can get up close and personally and check out the case. Practically everybody I know uses a case, and without seeing the button up close it is almost impossible to tell what model phone somebody is using. 

As far as nobody wanting it, I know two people. My girlfriend upgraded from her iPhone 3GS to a blue iPhone 5C from T-Mobile she had to pay zero dollars down for it, and it cost $30 less at T-Mobile then at Apple. She is advancing three generations. Second, my step mother who had a flip phone from AT&T bought a blue iPhone 5C as well. 

post #57 of 59
Quote:

Who says the G4 Cube was over priced? I thought it was awesome. The problem was you could a high end iMac for a couple of hundred dollars less, and a low end G4 Tower for a couple hundred dollars more. There was not enough difference between product categories. Further, we know the G4 was suffering from sales because Apple canceled it real fast. 

As far as the iPhone 5C being overpriced, Apple only has to beat the sales of the iPhone 4S last year after the iPhone 5 was released to succeed. Moreover, people don't seem to understand, Apple sets the price high, and allows carriers and retailers to offer deals. 

I suspect Apple is happy with iPhone 5C sales. If nothing else it is taking pressure off manufacturing the metal enclosures for both the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S, is acting as a trojan horse to up sale people to the more expensive iPhone 5S, and it takes shelve space in third party carrier stores from other manufacturers. 

post #58 of 59
Quote:

You guys are amazing. I have never seen an iPhone in the wild that was not in a case. 

post #59 of 59
I am familiar with digitimes. It is literally a two desk and four people operation. Zero credibility.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Rumor: Major Foxconn factory to cease iPhone 5c production, focus on Apple's iPhone 5s
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Major Foxconn factory to cease iPhone 5c production, focus on Apple's iPhone 5s