or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Retina iPad mini display shows poorer color accuracy than Apple's iPad Air

Retina iPad mini display shows poorer color accuracy than Apple's iPad Air - Page 5

post #161 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Sorry but Apple screwed up the expectations game. Thats not my fault. With mini 1 they set expectations low people werent surprised or disappointed. I think people couldve swallowed the underclocked A7m7 and inferior color gamut to every other current tablet around. People wouldve paid an additional $100 for a full experience Apple rMini. They get upset when you try to charge a premium dollar and arent forthcoming about the deficiencies.

Once more, for the last time, it's not about the $100 or whatever. There's no way they're going to raise the size and weight to give us sRGB. Yes, they could do it if there was a supply of LTPS or if IGZO were ready. But there isn't and they're not.

Are you people brain damaged that you are so incapable of thinking? I never saw such obtuseness in all my life.

Oh, and you want them to point out to us that the screen falls short on color gamut? When, at the event? On their web page?
Edited by Flaneur - 11/18/13 at 9:55pm
post #162 of 200

I have read through the thread here and thought I would make a couple of comments. I want to qualify this by noting that I am not a tech guru on screen technologies, battery density, etc., but I do look at things from a certain perspective as a customer.

I am a long time Apple customer. In the next room, I still have an Apple II+ and a Mac 512K from the early 1980s. Over the years, I have been a strong Apple loyalist, only using Windows when I had to. But I also recognize that not every Apple product has met its target, at least for me. 

I do not agree with those on the thread that basically say to shut up or go buy a Nexus, etc. If we can't have a decent discussion about products and their utility and value, then why are we here? By the way, I see the same things on camera forums, where "fanboys" try to shout down any discussion of their favorite product. It is not productive, in my opinion. Apple is a great company, but they are not perfect by any means, and without appropriate feedback, they cannot make their products better in response to their customers' needs.

Now to the IPad situation. I am an eager and enthusiastic IPad user. But I waited to buy one until the retina screen on the IPad3 came out and absolutely love it. I do use it for photography, mostly non-professional. A quality photograph on the retina screen of the IPad3 is an amazing thing to see for me.  

But I also use the IPad for two other major uses. Aviation and travel. As a pilot, the IPad has revolutionized aviation. I can get detailed charts, with inputs of weather and traffic displays on the IPad3 with GPS generated aircraft position and track. It is excellent resolution. The retina display is important to me for that purpose. The more detail the better. And the brightness needs to be good for daytime operations. There is one issue with the larger IPad. That is its size can be difficult to deal with in the cockpit. The Mini is really a better size. But I want the retina display, for its detail. But the range of color is also important, due to the nature of the information that is displayed. So this "gamut" business is a disappointment to me. It can make a difference for this application. I will need to see the Mini retina in person to check the screen myself, as I haven't been able to check it yet. I don't want a screen that is inferior to my existing IPad3 retina.

For travel, I prefer the Mini for its size. But again I use it for travel photography. So again I would much prefer the same quality of screen that I am used to in my IPad3.

I would not be a customer for the IPad Air as even though it is lighter and thinner, it is the same basic physical size as the 3, and has the same screen as I understand it.

Bottom line. I was going to buy a MiniR. But now I will wait until I can see it myself and compare it to my present IPad3. I won't go down in screen quality, unless it is basically imperceptible. especially because the one that I want is the top of the line 128GB with cellular and GPS, which goes for $829. I won't spend that kind of money unless the product does what I need it to do. 

post #163 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I love how EVERYONE can now obviously tell the difference between the mini/Air display after this report, and have so much outrage, when I didn't hear a SINGLE negative peep about the display from a SINGLE person, from ANY forum or comment section, or ANY reviewer whatsoever. Not one, single negative comment about the screen- every single impression was ridiculously positive, even while millions of minis have probably already been sold. But now, after this report, everyone "notices" how this display is "washed out", "mediocre" , "shitty", etc, when it was near perfect before this report. 

Right. What a bunch of dishonest, disingenuous clowns some of you are. Grasping for straws for outrage. Yeah, when a product such as the mini pushes the envelope of technology to the limit, in terms of form factor, build quality, battery life, thinness, lightness, PPI, etc- you might need some tiny technical compromises to make the final product possible. If there was a comparable overall product to the mini made by anyone else on the planet, I'd say people have a point. But there isn't. Every single other product it's compared to has significant downfalls and compromises in one or more areas. 

Well, to be fair, I did read about it on iLounge's review before I read the story from AnandTech.
post #164 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellmark View Post

. . .Bottom line. I was going to buy a MiniR. But now I will wait until I can see it myself and compare it to my present IPad3. I won't go down in screen quality, unless it is basically imperceptible. especially because the one that I want is the top of the line 128GB with cellular and GPS, which goes for $829. I won't spend that kind of money unless the product does what I need it to do. 

I also had photography in mind when I bought the mini retina, displaying my own videos in which I go out of my way for color, but the size and pixel density are far more important to me in the final analysis.

So I'm not sorry I got the mini at all, but I will be looking forward to next year, when I expect they will have solved their color issue with whatever new technology they're working on that's holding them back. But I can get by with the minimum memory investment, so my decision is less wrenching than it is for you.

As for using the device with less-than-brilliant reds and blues, I have the ability of ignoring the ideal for the compromise benefits that are available right now. It's like a sort of Buddhist approach to tech. But then I'm not spending $839. Tough decision, but really the colors aren't that bad, IMO.

Edit Someone might say at this point, why not get a Nexus.or Amazon? I would never consort with these predators who are losing money on their tablets just to sabotage Apple, and I have no stomach for their wide-screen plastic crap either. It would be a shame for me to own such things.
Edited by Flaneur - 11/19/13 at 3:15am
post #165 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Of course. The rule is: whatever deficiency the iPad has becomes the the "most important component by far." Not battery life, software, OS security, aspect ratio, CPU, memory, user experience, size or build quality. Just one thing: gamut. The only reason to spend $399 is for gamut, not a great tablet.

Haha, v-funny. I meant the display in general.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #166 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Pitchforks for everyone!

I'll take the limited edition Jony designed pitchfork in white thanks!

post #167 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by therfman View Post

The difference is significant.  The color gamut on the new mini is apparently the same as the old mini, which is about 60-70% od sRGB.  Blue and magenta hues will be distorted. Gamut-wise, this is about the same as the iPad 2 and MacBook Air, and slightly worse that the "classic" MacBook Pros.

For most users, this doesn't matter at all.  For some, it's very important. I think that the disappointment comes from the fact that since the release of iPhone 5, every display with the "retina" moniker covered 95-100% of sRGB.  Now we have a retina display that isn't full sRGB gamut, and in a sense, that weakens the Retina brand.

I think that's key: it's the same gamut as the iPad Mini, iPad 2 and iPhone 4/4S.

Does it "weaken the brand".  Meh.  It would be nice if it were better but better retina than not and better 8" vs 7" but I'll trade color gamut for battery life.

The new mini uses 30% more power than the old Mini.  It's also 35% bigger than the Nexus and Kindle.  

Folks bitching about the price forgets that the iPad Mini 2 is a much faster tablet with the A7.  

All in all the Mini Retina is best in class except for color gamut and worth the premium over the Nexus 7.

post #168 of 200
Why doesn't AnandTech or Display Mate contact Apple and get an official response this? Right now we're all guessing.
post #169 of 200

Interesting youtube clip i just saw

http://youtu.be/2oDBB_omV0c?t=2m30s

post #170 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Once more, for the last time, it's not about the $100 or whatever. There's no way they're going to raise the size and weight to give us sRGB. Yes, they could do it if there was a supply of LTPS or if IGZO were ready. But there isn't and they're not.

Are you people brain damaged that you are so incapable of thinking? I never saw such obtuseness in all my life.

Oh, and you want them to point out to us that the screen falls short on color gamut? When, at the event? On their web page?
Then Apple shouldve set the expectations of their customer. Apple tried to say the mini is exactly the same as the Air just smaller when that is not the case at all. The gamut is smaller and the chip is clocked at a lower speed than the Air but here is Apple asking for more money. Last year Apple pointed out the trade offs so it wasn't an issue. Everyone knew the trade offs were made before they purchased. People are now finding out the trade offs after they got home and opened up the box. Had Apple said we made these trade offs for these xyz reasons no one would be griping about them.

Its my premium dollar Apple is asking for. When you are asking for twice as much money as everyone else in the market people are going to want to see twice the benefit. Is your brain damaged or what? Why are you being obtuse?
Edited by AdonisSMU - 11/19/13 at 5:53am
post #171 of 200
Quote:

I have read through the thread here and thought I would make a couple of comments. I want to qualify this by noting that I am not a tech guru on screen technologies, battery density, etc., but I do look at things from a certain perspective as a customer.

I am a long time Apple customer. In the next room, I still have an Apple II+ and a Mac 512K from the early 1980s. Over the years, I have been a strong Apple loyalist, only using Windows when I had to. But I also recognize that not every Apple product has met its target, at least for me. 

I do not agree with those on the thread that basically say to shut up or go buy a Nexus, etc. If we can't have a decent discussion about products and their utility and value, then why are we here? By the way, I see the same things on camera forums, where "fanboys" try to shout down any discussion of their favorite product. It is not productive, in my opinion. Apple is a great company, but they are not perfect by any means, and without appropriate feedback, they cannot make their products better in response to their customers' needs.

Now to the IPad situation. I am an eager and enthusiastic IPad user. But I waited to buy one until the retina screen on the IPad3 came out and absolutely love it. I do use it for photography, mostly non-professional. A quality photograph on the retina screen of the IPad3 is an amazing thing to see for me.  

But I also use the IPad for two other major uses. Aviation and travel. As a pilot, the IPad has revolutionized aviation. I can get detailed charts, with inputs of weather and traffic displays on the IPad3 with GPS generated aircraft position and track. It is excellent resolution. The retina display is important to me for that purpose. The more detail the better. And the brightness needs to be good for daytime operations. There is one issue with the larger IPad. That is its size can be difficult to deal with in the cockpit. The Mini is really a better size. But I want the retina display, for its detail. But the range of color is also important, due to the nature of the information that is displayed. So this "gamut" business is a disappointment to me. It can make a difference for this application. I will need to see the Mini retina in person to check the screen myself, as I haven't been able to check it yet. I don't want a screen that is inferior to my existing IPad3 retina.

For travel, I prefer the Mini for its size. But again I use it for travel photography. So again I would much prefer the same quality of screen that I am used to in my IPad3.

I would not be a customer for the IPad Air as even though it is lighter and thinner, it is the same basic physical size as the 3, and has the same screen as I understand it.

Bottom line. I was going to buy a MiniR. But now I will wait until I can see it myself and compare it to my present IPad3. I won't go down in screen quality, unless it is basically imperceptible. especially because the one that I want is the top of the line 128GB with cellular and GPS, which goes for $829. I won't spend that kind of money unless the product does what I need it to do. 

Go buy a Nexus 7.

How on earth is the Air too big for a plane.  That total BS.  You have no intention of buying any iPad. 

You come here and on your first post you take a dump on the two best tablets in the entire market?

Again go buy a Nexus 7.  It has perfect color and its very small.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
post #172 of 200
Quote:

then you clearly didnt read the reviews of Air's display being superior to that of the iPad 3.
post #173 of 200
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Go buy a Nexus 7 you troll.

1rolleyes.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
post #174 of 200
Quote:

Then Apple shouldve set the expectations of their customer. Apple tried to say the mini is exactly the same as the Air just smaller when that is not the case at all. The gamut is smaller and the chip is clocked at a lower speed than the Air. Last year Apple pointed out the trade offs so it wasn't an issue. Everyone knew the trade offs were made before they purchased. People are now finding out the trade offs after they got home and opened up the box. Had Apple said we made these trade offs for these xyz reasons no one would be griping about them.

Its my premium dollar Apple is asking for. When you are asking for twice as much money as everyone else in the market people are going to want to see twice the benefit. Is your brain damaged or what? Why are you being obtuse?

Go buy a Nexus 7 then.  Show me where they said the MiniR was EXACTLY the same as the Air.  You are making sheet up at this point.

And Apple doesn't care about YOUR premium dollars since you seem like a cheapskate.  Perfect target for Google/Amazon devices.  You say Apple devices cost double? BULL.  Nexus7 is $230 vs MiniR at $399

Nexus7 screen is 30% smaller - Add $25

Metal Construction - Add $25

Better Apps - Add $25

Better Customer service - Add $25

Faster CPU - Add $25

Higher Resale - Add $100 (Go see how much 2 year old Nexus7/Fire is getting now.  About $10.  iPad2 is still getting over $150)

Nexus7 adjusted - $455

So is the MiniR really that much more expensive?

Go buy a cheap ass tablet and get lost.

post #175 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

1rolleyes.gif

Easy way to spot a troll:

1. First post explains that he's a HUGE Apple fan since 1980

2. Then say how much he loved past products

3. Proceed to dump on current products

Why join a forum just to dump on a new product?  Just get your cheap azz out of here a go buy a Nexus7

post #176 of 200
Quote:

Go buy a Nexus 7 then.  Show me where they said the MiniR was EXACTLY the same as the Air.  You are making sheet up at this point.

And Apple doesn't care about YOUR premium dollars since you seem like a cheapskate.  Perfect target for Google/Amazon devices.  You say Apple devices cost double? BULL.  Nexus7 is $230 vs MiniR at $399

Nexus7 screen is 30% smaller - Add $25
Metal Construction - Add $25
Better Apps - Add $25
Better Customer service - Add $25
Faster CPU - Add $25
Higher Resale - Add $100 (Go see how much 2 year old Nexus7/Fire is getting now.  About $10.  iPad2 is still getting over $150)

Nexus7 adjusted - $455

So is the MiniR really that much more expensive?

Go buy a cheap ass tablet and get lost.
Who said anything about a Nexus 7? Did i once say anything about a Nexus 7. I was talking about expectations. I have an iPad Air so you can hush up and address the argument. IMO and the opinion of all the people who've objectively reviewed the new Mini is that Mini is expensive for what it is...you can go on defending Apple's corporate speak but that doesnt change the facts.

So you can stop defending Apple for saying a product is one thing and then it turns out be to another.

Sent from my iPad Air.
Edited by AdonisSMU - 11/19/13 at 6:39am
post #177 of 200
Quote:

Who said anything about a Nexus 7? Did i once say anything about a Nexus 7. I was talking about expectations. I have an iPad Air so you can hush up and address the argument. IMO and the opinion of all the people who've objectively reviewed the new Mini is that Mini is expensive for what it is..

So you can stop defending Apple for saying a product is one thing and then it turns out be to another.

Sent from my iPad Air.

Tell me what other medium/small tablet is better than the Mini?

Metal construction

A7 64 bit

Best Apps

Best resale value

Best customer service

Getting the best cost more. PERIOD.  Again name me one tablet that is better bang for your buck than the MiniR.

Sent from my iPad Air

post #178 of 200
Quote:

Tell me what other medium/small tablet is better than the Mini?

Metal construction
A7 64 bit
Best Apps
Best resale value
Best customer service

Getting the best cost more. PERIOD.  Again name me one tablet that is better bang for your buck than the MiniR.

Sent from my iPad Air
the question is ...is the best twice as good. The objective advice says its expensive for what it is. You Appologists can say whatever you want but thats just fandom speaking. Thats why people don't hear that.
post #179 of 200
Quote:

Easy way to spot a troll:

1. First post explains that he's a HUGE Apple fan since 1980
2. Then say how much he loved past products
3. Proceed to dump on current products

Why join a forum just to dump on a new product?  Just get your cheap azz out of here a go buy a Nexus7
i have over 1000 posts you just got here.
post #180 of 200
Quote:

i have over 1000 posts you just got here.

I wasn't talking about you, sorry for the confusion.

I was talking about the guy with 1 post.

post #181 of 200
Quote:

the question is ...is the best twice as good. The objective advice says its expensive for what it is. You Appologists can say whatever you want but thats just fandom speaking. Thats why people don't hear that.

Are you telling me a BMW 7 series is 5x better than a Civic? 

People need to decide if the extra $170 for the MiniR over the Nexus is worth it:

30% bigger screen (Nexus is useless in portrait mode)

Metal construction and premium feel (Older Nexus7 are already falling apart)

Better customer service, better warranty (I got repairs for free many times even after my warranty expired)

Better resale value (on Gazelle 1 year old Nexus7 gets $35, 1 year old Mini gets $160)

Better Apps (more in number and more optimized for tablet screen)

Better OS (more stable, less crashing and virus, Google will only update OS for devices newer than 18 months)

So what will it be?  From resale alone you will be able to make up $125 of the $170 difference.  So it is worth saving $45 for a device you use everyday?  Spread over 2 years that's only 6 cents a day.  Unless you are cash strapped the Mini would be the better choice.

And lets not forget it is VERY POSSIBLE that Google drops Android support in a year or two.  With all the lawsuits they might just move on to ChromeOS.  They have already done this with ChromeCast.  Then What?  You are stuck with a brick that is neither secure or up to date.  Apple supports devices with new OS for at least 3 years.  Save a little now or a lot more latter.  Short vs Long term view.  Penny saved but a dollar lost.

You need to remember that Apple is in the device business.  Thats what they DO.  That's what their pride is in.  Google is in the advertising business.  Making devices is a hobby (they are selling Nexus7 at a loss).  So who do you think will support their products better?  Who do you think will make sure their devices still work 2 or 3 years from now?  I've seen Google drop product support on devices 12 months old.  See NexusQ and GoogleTV.  Apple can't afford to do that since its their bread and butter.  Google will drop Android without a second thought if it begins to threaten their advertising business. 

So the question is who do you want to buy your tablet from?  A company who is all about premium devices or a company who is about advertising and data collection?  Do you go to a steak house to order sushi?  Do you go to a Chinese resturant to order Pizza?

Edited by sog35 - 11/19/13 at 7:23am
post #182 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

Interesting youtube clip i just saw

http://youtu.be/2oDBB_omV0c?t=2m30s

It's hard to take someone seriously who looks like the love child of Barrack Obama and Patton Oswalt.
post #183 of 200
Quote:

And lets not forget it is VERY POSSIBLE that Google drops Android support in a year or two.  With all the lawsuits they might just move on to ChromeOS.  They have already done this with ChromeCast. 

No they haven't. Chromecast uses Android but closer in build to what was used for GoogleTV for the most part. Other than DED's outlier editorial I've not seen anything indicating Android is on the way out. Have you? IMO there's zero chance that Google drops Android "in a year or two". There's reasons not to use Android as your OS but that ain't one of 'em.
Edited by Gatorguy - 11/19/13 at 8:34am
post #184 of 200
Quote:

Let me rephrase that appraisal of your grasp of reality: You are detached from the basic facts because you seem to be ignoring your native cause-and-effect reasoning powers.

Example: The reason that the Kindle Fire or the Nexus are so cheap is that the companies don't care about losing money on them; therefore any comparison with a device company that doesn't sell its users' eyeballs and instead is selling devices to make money for growing its enterprise is obscenely wrong-headed—deeply unrealistic, laughable. You have been duped by the cynical lowballers. If this is what sets your "expectations" for your "premium dollar," you are being at best naive to bring it into the discussion.
post #185 of 200
Quote:

Let me rephrase that appraisal of your grasp of reality: You are detached from the basic facts because you seem to be ignoring your native cause-and-effect reasoning powers.

Example: The reason that the Kindle Fire or the Nexus are so cheap is that the companies don't care about losing money on them; therefore any comparison with a device company that doesn't sell its users' eyeballs and instead is selling devices to make money for growing its enterprise is obscenely wrong-headed—deeply unrealistic, laughable. You have been duped by the cynical lowballers. If this is what sets your "expectations" for your "premium dollar," you are being at best naive to bring it into the discussion.

He stated that Apple is asking for twice as much for what he considers an otherwise identical product despite the very obvious differences in display size alone. You aren't going to have a rational conversation with this person.

PS: My Retina iPad Mini should be here by Friday. Can't wait!
post #186 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

He stated that Apple is asking for twice as much for what he considers an otherwise identical product despite the very obvious differences in display size alone. You aren't going to have a rational conversation with this person.

PS: My Retina iPad Mini should be here by Friday. Can't wait!

You are right. Sometimes I just want to put the point out there, in the off chance that someone might be making the same lazy comparison.

I'm enjoying the mini, going from an iPad 1 that's been my constant machine since day one three + years ago, still going strong, but what a difference. The text rendering at 326.ppi is an amazing relief to old eyes that need cataract surgery and a new reading prescription. The size is perfect for a traveling device also. I'm just getting started loading in some of my videos. We'll see if the missing red and blue are a big deal. I think not.
post #187 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

No they haven't. Chromecast uses Android but closer in build to what was used for GoogleTV for the most part. Other than DED's outlier editorial I've not seen anything indicating Android is on the way out. Have you? IMO there's zero chance that Google drops Android "in a year or two". There's reasons not to use Android as your OS but that ain't one of 'em.

My point stands.  Chromecast does not run on Android.  It may be close to Android but it ain't Android.

Android may not die in a year or two but it is a possibility.  But what is guaranteed is the tablet you buy today won't be running the latest version of Android in 18 months.  You will be running a version of the OS that is no longer supported: no security updates, app compatability, ect.  So its as good as having a dead Android at that point.

post #188 of 200
Gotta love folks that say "OMG! Color gamut! Photography! OMG!"

And probably view the images on the iPad in sunlight.

Amusingly this is some info from Eizo's site:

"When we check the color gamut of an LCD monitor, it's also important to remember that a wide color gamut is not necessarily equivalent to high image quality. This point may generate misunderstanding among many people.

Color gamut is one spec used to measure the image quality of an LCD monitor, but color gamut alone does not determine image quality. The quality of the controls used to realize the full capabilities of an LCD panel having a wide color gamut is crucial. In essence, the capacity to generate accurate colors suited to one's own purposes outweighs a wide color gamut.

When considering an LCD monitor with a wide color gamut, we need to determine if it has a color-gamut conversion function. Such functions control the LCD monitor's color gamut based on the target color gamut, such as Adobe RGB or sRGB. For example, by selecting sRGB mode from a menu option, we can adjust even an LCD monitor with a wide color gamut and high Adobe RGB coverage so that the colors displayed on screen fall within the sRGB color gamut.

Few current LCD monitors offer color-gamut conversion functions (i.e., feature compatibility with both Adobe RGB and sRGB color gamuts). However, a color-gamut conversion function is essential for applications demanding accurate color generation in the Adobe RGB and sRGB color gamuts, such as photo retouching and Web production.

For purposes requiring accurate color generation, an LCD color monitor lacking any color-gamut conversion function but having a wide color gamut can actually be a disadvantage in some cases. These LCD monitors display each RGB color mapped to the color gamut inherent to the LCD panel in eight bits at full color. As a result, the colors generated are often too vivid for displaying images in the sRGB color gamut (i.e., the sRGB color gamut cannot be reproduced accurately)."

http://www.eizo.com/global/library/basics/lcd_monitor_color_gamut/
post #189 of 200
Quote:

Nothing youve said changes my mind about setting expectations properly. That is the point I was making. If you dont agree with that point fine. Moving on.
post #190 of 200
Quote:

Nothing youve said changes my mind about setting expectations properly. That is the point I was making. If you dont agree with that point fine. Moving on.

So increasing resolution 4x, CPU speed 4x, while keep the same size/weight and battery life is not up to expectation?

post #191 of 200
Can't see any difference in the red on those wallpapers.
post #192 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenTodd View Post

so, is it mean retina ipad mini display is not suitable to have it?

No doubt. Go buy a Nexus7 and report your findings

post #193 of 200

One more note about color accuracy:

8% of the male population have a measure of color blindness

post #194 of 200

ok, starting to think @sog35 is actually a troll himself. Every thread has him saying "go buy a nexus 7" favourite phrase of the day then?

chill out sog35 and stop coming across like a cool-aid filled kid

post #195 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

ok, starting to think @sog35 is actually a troll himself. Every thread has him saying "go buy a nexus 7" favourite phrase of the day then?

I'm not a cool aid kid.  I'm just sick of all this crybaby stuff about a button being green instead of red or a device having less than perfect gamut.  We get enough negative BS from the media and Fandroid/Samdung trolls lurking across the net. 

So the gamut is not perfect?  So what! Hardly anyone on the planet can distinguish perfect gamut and 8% of the male population is color blind.  My advice is to try Android for a few weeks and see how you like it.  Then decide if these 'fatal flaws' are actually a big deal or not.

For people who have been on iOS this whole time you don't realize how shiity the competitions software/OS is.  I'll take iOS which i love 90% of its features vs Android which is 50% crap.  I'm sick of all these Apple users who constantly grumble about the 10% and don't realize how shiitty the competition is.

post #196 of 200
Quote:

I'm not a cool aid kid.  I'm just sick of all this crybaby stuff about a button being green instead of red or a device having less than perfect gamut.  We get enough negative BS from the media and Fandroid/Samdung trolls lurking across the net. 

So the gamut is not perfect?  So what! Hardly anyone on the planet can distinguish perfect gamut and 8% of the male population is color blind.  My advice is to try Android for a few weeks and see how you like it.  Then decide if these 'fatal flaws' are actually a big deal or not.

For people who have been on iOS this whole time you don't realize how shiity the competitions software/OS is.  I'll take iOS which i love 90% of its features vs Android which is 50% crap.  I'm sick of all these Apple users who constantly grumble about the 10% and don't realize how shiitty the competition is.

Keith Olbermann has a response in that vein he likes to use (on Twitter at least).

"Bye Felicia".

At every repetitive whine about the lack of an SD card port or mini USB connector I am tempted to go there…..

post #197 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

ok, starting to think @sog35
 is actually a troll himself. Every thread has him saying "go buy a nexus 7" favourite phrase of the day then?

Hey, it's one who gets it like sog35 vs. ten people who have no ability to think. If he gets impatient with the whiners I'm totally in sympathy.
post #198 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Gotta love folks that say "OMG! Color gamut! Photography! OMG!"

And probably view the images on the iPad in sunlight.

Amusingly this is some info from Eizo's site:

"When we check the color gamut of an LCD monitor, it's also important to remember that a wide color gamut is not necessarily equivalent to high image quality. This point may generate misunderstanding among many people.

Color gamut is one spec used to measure the image quality of an LCD monitor, but color gamut alone does not determine image quality. The quality of the controls used to realize the full capabilities of an LCD panel having a wide color gamut is crucial. In essence, the capacity to generate accurate colors suited to one's own purposes outweighs a wide color gamut.

When considering an LCD monitor with a wide color gamut, we need to determine if it has a color-gamut conversion function. Such functions control the LCD monitor's color gamut based on the target color gamut, such as Adobe RGB or sRGB. For example, by selecting sRGB mode from a menu option, we can adjust even an LCD monitor with a wide color gamut and high Adobe RGB coverage so that the colors displayed on screen fall within the sRGB color gamut.

Few current LCD monitors offer color-gamut conversion functions (i.e., feature compatibility with both Adobe RGB and sRGB color gamuts). However, a color-gamut conversion function is essential for applications demanding accurate color generation in the Adobe RGB and sRGB color gamuts, such as photo retouching and Web production.

For purposes requiring accurate color generation, an LCD color monitor lacking any color-gamut conversion function but having a wide color gamut can actually be a disadvantage in some cases. These LCD monitors display each RGB color mapped to the color gamut inherent to the LCD panel in eight bits at full color. As a result, the colors generated are often too vivid for displaying images in the sRGB color gamut (i.e., the sRGB color gamut cannot be reproduced accurately)."

http://www.eizo.com/global/library/basics/lcd_monitor_color_gamut/

So much with all the technical terms...  

maybe just put an iphone 5s next to the rmini with a colorful image and you'll see the difference.

Apple is keeping the true sRGB for the next mini refresh.  Something has to give when it's called mini.

post #199 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

maybe just put an iphone 5s next to the rmini with a colorful image and you'll see the difference.

If they have to be next to each other to notice would you really notice otherwise?  

Bottom line is that only a few people will really care and the new mini is a huge improvement over the previous mini.

post #200 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

So much with all the technical terms...  
Apple is keeping the true sRGB for the next mini refresh.  Something has to give when it's called mini.

If you're implying that they held back sRGB from this version of the mini so they could have something to bump up to next year you are wrong. The screens they could do it with this year aren't ready in volume yet.

You said earlier they "saved" the retina screen for the second generation mini. Now you have before your unseeing eyes the truth about that: they couldn't have done the retina without the A7, iOS 7 and memory bandwidth changes, along with a redesigned battery. If IGZO were ready, they could have had full color gamut as well. So enough of this "holding back" nonsense, okay?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Retina iPad mini display shows poorer color accuracy than Apple's iPad Air
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Retina iPad mini display shows poorer color accuracy than Apple's iPad Air