or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple supplies developers with first beta of iOS 7.1

Apple supplies developers with first beta of iOS 7.1

post #1 of 72
The first beta of iOS 7.1, Apple's forthcoming update for its mobile operating system, was provided to developers on Monday, just a few days after the incremental iOS 7.0.4 update was issued to the public.

iOS 7

People familiar with the pre-release build of iOS 7.1 said it is identified as build 11D5099e. The software can be downloaded from Apple's developer center website, though it is intended solely for testing purposes.

Apple's release notes for the software reportedly do not reveal any major changes or new features in the point-one release. There are also said to be a number of known issues with the first build, including problems with Bluetooth, iTunes Match, and developer-facing functions such as UIKit and Crash Logs.

The developer-only release of iOS 7.1 comes just a few days after iOS 7.0.4 was released to the public. That minor update addressed a few bugs on Apple's mobile platform, including an issue that would cause FaceTime calls to fail for some users.

Even with four minor updates so far, users continue to report a number of bugs and issues with Apple's revamped iOS 7. Specifically, crashes are frequently seen when using the new multitasking interface, causing the device to randomly restart, displaying the black startup screen with white Apple logo.

Also on Monday, Apple released a new beta for its Apple TV set-top box software. That pre-release build is referred to as Apple TV version 6.1.
post #2 of 72
Yes!! New Safari and Newstand icons!! Beautiful
post #3 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Even with four minor updates so far, users continue to report a number of bugs and issues with Apple's revamped iOS 7. Specifically, crashes are frequently seen when using the new multitasking interface, causing the device to randomly restart, displaying the black startup screen with white Apple logo.

I thought this was only on the 5s, maybe the 5c as well. But not on the 5 AFAIK.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #4 of 72
Someone on MacRumors says animations have been sped up.
post #5 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Fields View Post

What?
post #6 of 72
Animations definitely are sped up
post #7 of 72

Yes there is. Here is the complete list.

post #8 of 72
Quote:
 ...displaying the black startup screen with white Apple logo.

Really?  I get a grey startup screen with a black Apple logo...

post #9 of 72
Quote:
 Really?  I get a grey startup screen with a black Apple logo...

That's a new feature of iOS 7... White iOS devices have grey with black apple, black iOS have black with white apple.

I didn't know this either till I got my white iPad Mini WRD on Friday. (All my other iOS devices are black)

post #10 of 72
Quote:

Screenshot!
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #11 of 72
I get strange "reframing" of some apps when I first open them on my iPad. Words With Friends for example. Don't know if that is an app or iOS issue, but would like to see it cleaned up. Also have had a couple of demi-crashes where the screen will go to black with the white apple in the center, then quickly recover. Odd. Never happened in iOS 6.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #12 of 72

In my opinion, it would be pretty unforgivable if Apple didn't separate the parallax feature from the icon zoom animations into 2 toggles, from the "reduce motion" accessibility. There's not a single person that thinks this makes sense. I can't stand the parallax effect, but if I turn it off, I'm stuck with a shitty fade effect instead of the current open/close animation. What the hell would be wrong with having a "parallax effect" and "animations" toggle? I've heard so many complain about this, and thats very low hanging fruit that I assumed Apple would address in 7.1. I can't imagine it would take more than a couple lines of code. The 2 effects have absolutely nothing to do with each other, and the way they're combined in an ON/OFF toggle is ridiculous. 

post #13 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

In my opinion, it would be pretty unforgivable if Apple didn't separate the parallax feature from the icon zoom animations into 2 toggles, from the "reduce motion" accessibility. There's not a single person that thinks this makes sense. I can't stand the parallax effect, but if I turn it off, I'm stuck with a shitty fade effect instead of the current open/close animation. What the hell would be wrong with having a "parallax effect" and "animations" toggle? I've heard so many complain about this, and thats very low hanging fruit that I assumed Apple would address in 7.1. I can't imagine it would take more than a couple lines of code. The 2 effects have absolutely nothing to do with each other, and the way they're combined in an ON/OFF toggle is ridiculous. 
Be prepared to unforgive Apple. I'll bet anything this hasn't changed in 7.1.
post #14 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Not a screenshot of a con man, a screenshot of the new icons.
Pretty lame joke. Almost as bad a Safari is snappier. I wonder when people will ever get over the damn icons. 1rolleyes.gif
post #15 of 72
Quote:

I don't know about unforgivable, but yes it doesn't make sense that they are connected. Frankly I don't think Apple should have bothered adding parallax to iOS 7.
post #16 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Pretty lame joke. Almost as bad a Safari is snappier. I wonder when people will ever get over the damn icons. 1rolleyes.gif

Oh. Yeah I've kind of got used to their hideousness. I think by far the ugliest is the Mail icon. It reminds me of some of the promotional material the O2 carrier was always putting on TV and billboard advertisements. The way of the gradient doesn't work at all. Even a mirror of the gradient on the weather icon would have been preferable, though not ideal.
post #17 of 72
I wonder why they would go from iOS 7.0.4 to iOS 7.1, they don't usually do that.
post #18 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I wonder why they would go from iOS 7.0.4 to iOS 7.1, they don't usually do that.

And you're a member of this forum since when?
post #19 of 72
Quote:

Oh. Yeah I've kind of got used to their hideousness. I think by far the ugliest is the Mail icon. It reminds me of some of the promotional material the O2 carrier was always putting on TV and billboard advertisements. The way of the gradient doesn't work at all. Even a mirror of the gradient on the weather icon would have been preferable, though not ideal.
I guess I don't really pay attention as the amount of time I spend looking at icons is next to nill.
post #20 of 72
Quote:

They're not all hideous. I don't like the green on phone and messages, but it's not offensively bad. They at least look designed by someone with a point of view (drugged up though he may be). Android icons seemed to be designed by a financial firm.
post #21 of 72
Quote:

And you're a member of this forum since when?

Obviously, you can't read.  Seriously, Apple doesn't normally jump revs like that unless there's a new product that's going to be announced that uses iOS or there are actual enhancements, but not JUST normal bug fixes.  Normal bug fixes for iOS aren't usually a 7.x update.  When they've done those, there were usually actually enhancements, a new product within the iOS family not just a bug fix.

post #22 of 72
Quote:

The gradient by itself is fine, what isn't fine is the inconsistency of the gradients, where some icons have it reversed top/bottom, especially when its the same damn color. Gives the impression of some icons being convex, and others concave, which is a very unsettling, inconsistent effect. While other icons are entirely flat with no gradient.  I would LOVE to hear any rationalization about this from a single designer from Apple, because as I designer myself, I certainly can't think of one, as open-minded as I try to be. I would literally pay money just to make the gradients go the same direction at least, thats how much it bothers me every single time I look at the home screen. 

post #23 of 72
Quote:

They're not all hideous. I don't like the green on phone and messages, but it's not offensively bad. They at least look designed by someone with a point of view (drugged up though he may be). Android icons seemed to be designed by a financial firm.

I feel just about the same. And your sentiment on those Android icons put words to my feelings on them. I can't believe they still don't have a border. I actually think even Mac icons should have a border, never mind ones you press with a finger.
Edited by Ireland - 11/18/13 at 7:59pm
post #24 of 72
Quote:

Obviously, you can't read.  Seriously, Apple doesn't normally jump revs like that unless there's a new product that's going to be announced that uses iOS or there are actual enhancements, but not JUST normal bug fixes.  Normal bug fixes for iOS aren't usually a 7.x update.  When they've done those, there were usually actually enhancements, a new product within the iOS family not just a bug fix.

My apologies. You are correct. 7.1 would usually indicate new features.
post #25 of 72
Quote:

I feel just about the same. And your sentiment on those Android icons put words to my feelings on them. I can't believe they still don't have a boarder. I actually think even Mac icons should have a boarder, never mind ones your actually press with a finger.

I'm assuming you mean "border", but I still don't understand what you're referring to. You mean mac/android icons aren't rounded rectangles? I think thats a good thing. Differentiates mac apps from ios apps. 

post #26 of 72
Quote:

My apologies. You are correct. 7.1 would usually indicate new features.

No worries.  I just thought the article didn't really mention what I would consider an "enhancement" that's all.

Maybe Apple's pushing up the iPhone 6 next quarter and sluffing off the 5C orders to Pegatron?  Just a thought.  Or maybe Apple's going to release the new iTV box next quarter.

I highly doubt Apple will announce any actual new h/w this year as they kind of blew their wad so to speak in product announcement before Christmas.

post #27 of 72
Quote:

The gradient by itself is fine, what isn't fine is the inconsistency of the gradients, where some icons have it reversed top/bottom, especially when its the same damn color. Gives the impression of some icons being convex, and others concave, which is a very unsettling, inconsistent effect. While other icons are entirely flat with no gradient.  I would LOVE to hear any rationalization about this from a single designer from Apple, because as I designer myself, I certainly can't think of one, as open-minded as I try to be. I would literally pay money just to make the gradients go the same direction at least, thats how much it bothers me every single time I look at the home screen. 

I think the deluded rationalization for the reversed gradient on the Mail and Weather icons are that they are meant to represent the sky. Though that doesn't explain the Podcasts icon (which I think looks good). The Videos icon is unbareably hideous, the contacts icon looks odd and Reminders is very weak.
post #28 of 72
Quote:

No worries.  I just thought the article didn't really mention what I would consider an "enhancement" that's all.

Maybe Apple's pushing up the iPhone 6 next quarter and sluffing off the 5C orders to Pegatron?  Just a thought.  Or maybe Apple's going to release the new iTV box next quarter.

I highly doubt Apple will announce any actual new h/w this year as they kind of blew their wad so to speak in product announcement before Christmas.

It'll probably be April before we hear a peep from Cupertino.
post #29 of 72
Quote:

I'm assuming you mean "border", but I still don't understand what you're referring to. You mean mac/android icons aren't rounded rectangles? I think thats a good thing. Differentiates mac apps from ios apps. 

Yes, typo. I didn't mean they have to be exactly the same as iOS. Perhaps they could have a translucent border if sorts. Done right of course. It's just app icons like iMovie on the Mac bother me from a usability standpoint. You'd see older people trying to make sure they click on an actually point of the star, unaware there is an invisible area around to the whole icon that is clickable. It's just a nitpick, but I think there has to be a better solution for Mac icons.
post #30 of 72
Quote:

Not a screenshot of a con man, a screenshot of the new icons.

Keep your grasp of bs to yourself.

post #31 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Change you can believe in.
post #32 of 72
Quote:

That wasn't BS but all the anal retentive hyperbole over icons certainly is.
post #33 of 72
Quote:

I thought it was funny. Lighten up. Dear Leader is too busy applying his incompetences to health care to worry about forum jokes at his expense.
post #34 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That wasn't BS but all the anal retentive hyperbole over icons certainly is.

Perfectionist.
post #35 of 72
Quote:

It'll probably be April before we hear a peep from Cupertino.

This year was different in that Apple pushed back a lot of announcement until the last half. But they didn't release any MacMini or iTV or even iPod refreshes. Personally, we will probably hear of a iTV announcement and it might be as soon as March since Apple traditionally announces new products during the last month of the quarter, but Apple has been weird about product announcements recently which throws some of us off a little.

I personally think the larger screen iPhone 6 or whatever they are going to call it, is probably a June release.  I wouldn't be surprised if Apple did announce new monitors soon, but that won't be a major product announcement, but they kind of need to sell a 4K monitor for the MacPros, and I think they are due to replace the Thunderbolt monitor, which is supposedly running real low in terms of inventories amongst the resellers.  I think the iPods are probably pretty much done in terms of anything major.  They might change colors and storage, but there really isn't much to do in that arena, except a nice 24 bit DAC to go up against the Astell & Kern AK100 player which would require more storage if it's going to support 24 bit.

post #36 of 72
Quote:

This year was different in that Apple pushed back a lot of announcement until the last half. But they didn't release any MacMini or iTV or even iPod refreshes. Personally, we will probably hear of a iTV announcement and it might be as soon as March since Apple traditionally announces new products during the last month of the quarter, but Apple has been weird about product announcements recently which throws some of us off a little.

I personally think the larger screen iPhone 6 or whatever they are going to call it, is probably a June release.  I wouldn't be surprised if Apple did announce new monitors soon, but that won't be a major product announcement, but they kind of need to sell a 4K monitor for the MacPros, and I think they are due to replace the Thunderbolt monitor, which is supposedly running real low in terms of inventories amongst the resellers.  I think the iPods are probably pretty much done in terms of anything major.  They might change colors and storage, but there really isn't much to do in that arena, except a nice 24 bit DAC to go up against the Astell & Kern AK100 player which would require more storage if it's going to support 24 bit.

That's an awful lot of speculation for a thread about iOS 7.1. Implausible speculation at that.
post #37 of 72
Quote:

That's an awful lot of speculation for a thread about iOS 7.1. Implausible speculation at that.

I'm just spiffballing.

post #38 of 72
Quote:

I'm just spiffballing.

I do wonder what Apple is going to get up on stage to announce next. Tim Cook made it known that there will be new products "throughout 2014". Presumably this means a keynote before WWDC, likely in the time frame you suggested, March-April. The question is what. I'd love it if Apple has an Apple TV announcement worthy of its own keynote, but I doubt it. My money is on an iPad Pro. Larger screen, higher resolution and DPI than iPad Air, maybe some pro suites for iOS. Maybe during the same keynote they announce a new Apple TV.

Going really off track, I hope Apple releases an actual television. I don't care about business models or upgrade cycles or preserving margins... At this point I don't even care about a revolutionary way to bundle tv programming. I don't even care about Steve Jobs "simplest UI you can imagine" crap anymore. I just want to be able to switch between applicances connected to my tv without it taking 12 seconds between switches. Telvevison hardware and software is in a hideous ghetto at a time when TV content is in perhaps a golden age. Awful.
post #39 of 72

To clarify, is it his grasp that is ‘bs’ or is it the policies of the president? Because your sentence reads the latter. :p

I just want to be able to switch between applicances connected to my tv without it taking 12 seconds between switches.

The idea behind the non-hobby Apple TV box is that you won’t be doing any switching. Because you won’t need to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #40 of 72
Quote:

I do wonder what Apple is going to get up on stage to announce next. Tim Cook made it known that there will be new products "throughout 2014". Presumably this means a keynote before WWDC, likely in the time frame you suggested, March-April. The question is what. I'd love it if Apple has an Apple TV announcement worthy of its own keynote, but I doubt it. My money is on an iPad Pro. Larger screen, higher resolution and DPI than iPad Air, maybe some pro suites for iOS. Maybe during the same keynote they announce a new Apple TV.

Going really off track, I hope Apple releases an actual television. I don't care about business models or upgrade cycles or preserving margins... At this point I don't even care about a revolutionary way to bundle tv programming. I don't even care about Steve Jobs "simplest UI you can imagine" crap anymore. I just want to be able to switch between applicances connected to my tv without it taking 12 seconds between switches. Telvevison hardware and software is in a hideous ghetto at a time when TV content is in perhaps a golden age. Awful.

I know what you mean about switching channels.  On a regular cable box it takes as long as it takes to press the button and that's how fast it SHOULD be.  The iTV box is usually sold to people that don't want to pay for a typical cable/sat service or for conference rooms where they want to have people wirelessly connect their device to a big screen or just stream content and they aren't as finicky about channel switching.

I don't know if Apple, or anyone for that matter can fix that issue at this time.  However, maybe a DVR capability?????? Maybe?

I haven't used an iTV other than in the Apple Store goofing around, but my biggest peeve is content and quick channel flipping.  Even on some cable boxes, there are super fast ones, and there are slow.  I remember back when I had Comcast, it was a LOT slower than when I switched to another cable provider, but I haven't surveyed what's out there. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple supplies developers with first beta of iOS 7.1