or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung announces 800K Galaxy Gear smartwatches shipped since launch [u]

Samsung announces 800K Galaxy Gear smartwatches shipped since launch [u]

post #1 of 121
Samsung on Tuesday said its Gear smartwatch has shipped 800,000 units since launching in September, putting a damper on rumors that claimed the Korean tech giant managed to sell only 50,000 pieces over the two-month span.

Gears

Editor's Note: Samsung has revised its statement to note 800,000 Galaxy Gear units have shipped, not necessarily sold. This is more in line with the company's other announced metrics, which do not disclose sales, but instead shipments.

According to a report from Reuters, Samsung is now touting the Galaxy Gear as the world's most popular smartwatch after hitting the 800,000 units shipped mark in November.

"It's the most sold wearable watch available in the market place...and we plan to expand its availability by expanding mobile devices that work with the Gear," Samsung said.

The number has supposedly exceeded even Samsung's expectations, leading the company to extend sales promotions during the lucrative holiday season.

Although critics and early reviewers panned the device for lacking features and being cumbersome to use, it appears Samsung's aggressive marketing paid off. At $300, the Gear is an expensive accessory, especially for a wearable device designed to operate in tandem with a smartphone or "phablet."

Some reviews found the Gear to be light on battery life, while others were disappointed by the lack of out-of-the-box support for Samsung's own smartphones. At launch, the Gear was only compatible with Samsung's Galaxy Note 3, though later updates added support for smartphones like the Galaxy S3, S4 and Note 2.

It was reported on Monday that Samsung only sold 50,000 Galaxy Gears since the device debuted, which came out to roughly 800 and 900 units per day.
post #2 of 121

Your 50,000 watches sold post was slightly wrong. 800,000 watches. Slight discrepancy.

post #3 of 121
Simple explanation: 50,000 actually sold and 750,000 given "free" bundled with Samsung phones.
post #4 of 121
Was that 800 sold to people or stuffed into the retail channels?
post #5 of 121
Or maybe another case of "shipped" vs "sold".
post #6 of 121
Those 750k are not watches, but TV dongles loaded with movies.
post #7 of 121
On Monday evening, Samscum shipped out 750,000 watches, nobody lies.
post #8 of 121
Both could be right. We know that a sale to Samsung is a device available to be bought in the channel.
post #9 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smooper View Post

Your 50,000 watches sold post was slightly wrong. 800,000 watches. Slight discrepancy.

Kudos for running the story regardless?  Could have ignored the report.

post #10 of 121

Pretty rare when 7 (+/-) comments says all that's needed. You guys are on point tonight. Loving the snark, no sarc.

"We have been taught to believe that negative equals realistic and positive equals unrealistic."
-Susan Jeffers
"We have been taught to believe that negative equals realistic and positive equals unrealistic."
-Susan Jeffers
post #11 of 121
Not bad. However, if Apple were to sell only a few million smartwatches it would be considered an epic failure. It's a relative sort of victory for Samsung. By the time Apple introduces its own smartwatch, Samsung will have reduced the Galaxy Gear to around $150 or even lower if necessary just so Apple won't be able to sell its own smartwatch in high quantities. Nowadays, only market share matters.

One thing for sure, those Gear smartwatches are probably counted as Android activations to kick Android market share even higher in comparison to iOS. Chalk it up as another gazillion a day Android activations to show Android is just crushing Apple into oblivion.
post #12 of 121
This will be shipped, not sold. Plus it won't take into account the 30% returns rate but will take into account the replacements for those returns.
post #13 of 121

Engadget reported it as 50,000 sold in South Korea. 800,000 is the global figure.

post #14 of 121
Samsung claims are pretty doubtful: reviews haven't been stellar and, for now, it is still a niche product while the industry try to decide on what usages this gadget will shine.

Also, Galaxy gear can't work with the vast majority of current Samsung products.

I can believe Samsung will sell this number of watches when compatible smartphones will be the majority but, until then, I fail to see how they could have sold such an overhyped, bad reviewed, incompatible and half-hearted attempt at wearable computing to a large target population%u2026

Certainly a typical case of shipped vs sold to end consumer.
post #15 of 121
Patiently waiting for Apple's superior product offering in this space...

And I think perhaps it's actually a good thing that Samsung have entered the market first, as then the design changes they make to ape Apple's designs will be obvious for all to see. As with the iPhone, we will be able to compare Samsung's "before Apple's iWatch" and "after Apple's iWatch" products. Should make the inevitable court case more straightforward...
One can but dream!
post #16 of 121
So what! 0,8 Mio. watches is still nothing in a global market of billion of mobile devices!
post #17 of 121

800k sold... total... I'm sure that figure is so high because at least 200k people gave it a try. It didn't perform as expected, so Samsung told them to exchange it for another one... 3 times. 

Initial purchase plus 3 replacements each equals 800k. 

Yep, that's it. Samsung is counting replacement models as models "sold".

post #18 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Those 750k are not watches, but TV dongles loaded with movies.

Hahahahahahhaha!!!!!!!!

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #19 of 121
Nobody seems to wanna keep track of how many were RETURNED. Lol
post #20 of 121
So is that 9 gears sold per minute since launch?

Something feels fishy about that number to me. I suppose when the gimmick early adopters wear off and people realise it's complete junk "sales" (shipped or sold? returns discounted from that number?) will dwindle considerably.

For me personally the only way I'd buy an iWatch is if it were an iPod replacement; that means tiny, seamless, iPod-style Ear Pods, but wireless and controlled via your wrist, via iWatch. That to me plus an M7 chip would make iWatch everything it needs to be. Health and iPhone satellite features would merely be bonus features for me.
Edited by Ireland - 11/19/13 at 3:48am
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #21 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

Nobody seems to wanna keep track of how many were RETURNED. Lol

A 20% return rate means there's 160,000  that were returned, or, knowing Samsung, more.  These things are going to show up on ebay soon, for $100.

post #22 of 121

Sure 800,000 sold, 50,000 to end users and 750,000 sitting as inventory at various reseller warehouses and stores.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

post #23 of 121
Surely all watches are wearable, else they're called "clocks".

But again, I'm technologically illiterate 1wink.gif

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #24 of 121
The old man that lives next door to us has just planted seed to regrow his lawn after some landscaping.

These Galaxy Gears would be perfect for throwing at the birds to stop them from eating the seed.
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
I always appreciate an Android fan who puts his energy into advertising Apple products.
post #25 of 121
Apple is lagging way behind when it comes to smart watches.
post #26 of 121
According WSJ report, it's actually 800k SHIPPED, not SOLD.
post #27 of 121
So assuming this is somewhere in the realms of 50,000 sold out of the 800,000 shipped, how many billion activations have there been? 1wink.gif
post #28 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

Oddly the article title says 'sells' http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/11/19/samsung-sells-800000-smartwatches-since-launch/

post #29 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

Why would they ship something they don't think they'll sell?
post #30 of 121
800k instead of 50k. Maybe they were using Excel?
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #31 of 121

I'm glad not every news outlet is glossing over this fact: "It's unclear whether those sales are sales to the retail channel or actual sales to consumers."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57612913-94/galaxy-gear-tops-800000-units-sold-in-two-months/

LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
post #32 of 121
Let's put questions of Sammy's [honesty when reporting numbers] record aside, and assume that the 800K number represents the number sold into the channel, including those sold through to customers.

Wal-mart, alone, has 11,000 retail outlets world-wide... So, an average of ~70 per store for ~2 months is not unreasonable...
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #33 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

800k instead of 50k. Maybe they were using Excel?

LOL...

post #34 of 121
At least here in Sweden: When you buy a high end Samsung phone you get the Gear for free.
An educated guess is that they have given away 750K and sold 50K.
post #35 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

At least here in Sweden: When you buy a high end Samsung phone you get the Gear for free.
An educated guess is that they have given away 750K and sold 50K.

Ahh... A customer SPIFF...

Actually, that's a good marketing approach -- the customer buy's a high-end phone for himself, and gets a watch to use as a holiday gift...

Which the giftee will exchange in January...

post #36 of 121
Unfortunately, Samsung has lost all credibility, if they ever had any. Since deceptive practices seem to be the norm for Samsung, anything they say should be taken with a bucket of salt.
post #37 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

Was that 800 sold to people or stuffed into the retail channels?

Probably 750,000 bundled with phone sales and 50,000 actually sold without a phone.

post #38 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Not bad. However, if Apple were to sell only a few million smartwatches it would be considered an epic failure. It's a relative sort of victory for Samsung. By the time Apple introduces its own smartwatch, Samsung will have reduced the Galaxy Gear to around $150 or even lower if necessary just so Apple won't be able to sell its own smartwatch in high quantities. Nowadays, only market share matters.

One thing for sure, those Gear smartwatches are probably counted as Android activations to kick Android market share even higher in comparison to iOS. Chalk it up as another gazillion a day Android activations to show Android is just crushing Apple into oblivion.

What if you have 99% market share, 1% profit share? Cash is the life-blood of a company, he who has more ca$h thrives while others die (not that Samsung isn't making profits, but if I were a company, $$$$ would be most important to me)

post #39 of 121
What success means in the gadget/tech world: "PS4: 1 million devices sold in 24 hours. Apple: we sold 9M devices during launch weekend." How can 800k devices since launch...which was two months ago (?) mean... success today?
post #40 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Let's put questions of Sammy's [honesty when reporting numbers] record aside, and assume that the 800K number represents the number sold into the channel, including those sold through to customers.

Wal-mart, alone, has 11,000 retail outlets world-wide... So, an average of ~70 per store for ~2 months is not unreasonable...

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

These watches have been heavily promoted. The ads for them are really cool and make it sound like these are devices from the future. So, 400K per month globally sounds like a pretty dismal failure.

Given the bombardment advertising and free giveaways, I wonder what Sammy's marketing costs have been per watch "sold"?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung announces 800K Galaxy Gear smartwatches shipped since launch [u]