or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Supplier now building 12.9-inch Apple iPad displays for early 2014 launch

Rumor: Supplier now building 12.9-inch Apple iPad displays for early 2014 launch - Page 3

post #81 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What is wrong with you? I don't like Android. Stop it now.

You keep grumbling about Apple products.  MiniR got everything right except the gamut is not perfect.  Instead of focusing on everything the new Mini does right ( 4x the resolution, 4x processor speed, yet same weight and battery life) you focus on something insignificant to 99.99% of iPad users.

Giving Apple credit for all the good things about their product and overlooking small imperfections is NOT drinking Cool-Aid.  Its called being reasonable and realistic.

post #82 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Quote:

2. How do you hold a 13" iPad?

With your hands.

I would just lick it....mmmmmm 1cool.gif
post #83 of 130
Quote:

What is wrong with you? I don't like Android. Stop it now.

Nobody is keeping score.
Quote:

I'm not. For a computer programmer type of guy there is no substitute for a Mac for getting work done. The iPad doesn't come close. I tried everything to write my play on an iPad, I bought and used all the apps, but it doesn't come within an asses roar from wetting the script on the Mac

I agree. But not every use of computing requires furious typing input. Programming and writing, sure. But playing music? Watching movies? Reading books? Playing games? Viewing web content? There are dedicated computing devices for all these activities. The iPad can replace all these dedicated devices.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #84 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Sure: http://www.fiftythree.com/pencil

I saw this on MacNN right after my post. Their short video (commercial really) is pretty cool. I'm not the target audience for this kind of device, I wonder how the real artists (or other potential users) feel about it. The eraser was a nice touch too.

I guess what I'm thinking is, IF Apple does a larger iPad there would have to be a compelling reason for it to exist and thrive. My speculation was that it would appeal to artists and or people who deal with paper docs for a living. The latter being real estate, lawyers... whatever. I belong to neither group so I'm not sure if that's even realistic. I remember buying a house, car, etc where there's just a stack of paper. Initialing and signing all over the place, this is what I think could be done better with a larger tablet. 

The group I do belong to is the one where my eyes aren't what they used to be! I use an iPad 3rd generation at work and it is adequate. A larger display would be great too. So would a simple calculator that I could pull up without leaving my current app. A floating calc would be nice :) that way I could move the spreadsheet around and do math as needed. Sorry, went a little OT..

My current set up works fine and a larger iPad's weight wouldn't be a huge issue as my iPad stays in a stand for 8 hours a shot, so I'm not holding it. But that's just me....

post #85 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

The iPad 4 weighs 1.44 lbs.   The iPad Air weighs 1 lb.  

If Apple uses the same design as the iPad Air for the iPad Mega :)  I'm guessing it will weigh less than the iPad 4.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160799/rumor-supplier-now-building-12-9-inch-apple-ipad-displays-for-early-2014-launch/40#post_2437136

Call me crazy, Island, but I actually had done the math.

The area of a 4:3 device is 12/25 times the square of the diagonal measurement.  So, a 13" device is 1.69 times larger in area than a 10" device.  I assumed that some components would remain the same weight in the 13" device as a 10" device, plus some general improvements in weight savings.

Edit: Fixed a math error, gotta remember those parantheses :)

Edited by JamesMac - 11/19/13 at 11:59am
post #86 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

What is a 12.9 inch iPad going to be better than? 

Here are three things I can think of, that would be better on a large tablet than a laptop...

Drawing apps. Wacom stylus please! Not these fat pens!
Music apps (large screen + touch... a new world of possibilities).
Reading comics and the larger size Bande dessinées would also benefit.

post #87 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160799/rumor-supplier-now-building-12-9-inch-apple-ipad-displays-for-early-2014-launch/40#post_2437136

The area of a 4:3 device is 4/7 times the square of the diagonal measurement.  So, a 13" device is approximately 1.69 times larger in area than a 10" device.  I assumed that some components would remain the same weight in the 13" device as a 10" device, plus some general improvements in weight savings.

Yea I like the 'summarily dismiss as not thinking it through' straw argument that a few have thrown around in this thread, and then arbitrarily say 2 lbs.

Multiplying height/width of Air/Mini Retina = 1.487x bigger for the air at just 1.369x more weight.

Using these numbers you'd get a iPad "Pro" at 13.9 inches (width) for 1.369 pounds.

But anyway the point of the comment still stands.  Ireland's absurd "how could you hold it?" comment doesn't hold any water.  1.369 or 2 lbs of it.

post #88 of 130
Quote:

Yes, and you can hold a bucket of sand with your hands too, but it's not a pleasant experience. This thing will be too big and too heavy. Not happening. If Apple does release a 13" iOS device it won't be designed to be held in your hands; it won't be an iPad Pro.

I wasn't a fan of his snark, but your question about how to hold it prompted an interesting thought. I own the iPad air...we all know it's extremely light. One pound. I'm not well versed in technology, but I'd imagine if one cut the iPad Air in half and added that half to a complete iPad Air,  you'd end up with a device that is, in fact, bigger than a hypothetical 13inch device, weighing exactly 1 ounce more than the iPad fourth generation (which weighs 20 ounces, I believe). It definitely seems as though a thirteen inch iPad could be made to be lighter than the fourth generation. Not too shabby. And that's just year one. (Edited weight).

post #89 of 130
Quote:

The area of a 4:3 device is 4/7 times the square of the diagonal measurement.  So, a 13" device is approximately 1.69 times larger in area than a 10" device.  I assumed that some components would remain the same weight in the 13" device as a 10" device, plus some general improvements in weight savings.

I had done "some" of the math* as well and basically came to the same conclusion as you... but I just wanted to see what you'd have to say... and now I see that Joelsalt has weighed in on this as well.

* my slide rule is broken

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #90 of 130
Quote:

Ah, nice. I hadn't thought it all the way through. Still...lighter than it sounds.

post #91 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post
Using these numbers you'd get a iPad "Pro" at 13.9 inches (width) for 1.369 pounds.

A 9.7" screen is 45 sq inches.

A 12.9" screen is 80 sq inches. 

That is 80/45 or 1.8 times larger.

You likely also have to increase the thickness because the device will get too flexible in your hand to feel flimsy/cheap, so the the third dimension also comes into it.

But lets just call the thickness increase to maintain rigidity a wash, with some incidentals that don't increase.

1.8*469 grams

= 1.86 lbs

Though kind of moot. 13" is big unwieldy package that just does't make sense as presented thus far. 13" turns it more into a desk device. 

There will NOT be a 13" ipad in the next 2 years.

post #92 of 130

A7X anyone?

I was surprised (as were others I think) that the new iPad Air still had an A7. Not because it doesn't have enough performance, but because Apple has been making X versions for higher resolution devices.

The 6 Series PowerVR inside the A7 is much faster than the 5 Series used in the A6X. If you look at Imaginations information it's several times faster than the 5 Series. Yet the A7's graphics performance is only slightly better than the A6X.

I think the 6 Series GPU has been intentionally underclocked in the A7 to conserve battery life. and is actually capable of much higher performance. So if they do make a UHD device, all they need to do is run the GPU's at their normal operating frequencies.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

post #93 of 130

I’ve been saying this since 2008. It’s not that hard to see where Apple’s headed. I’ve known they would kill off their laptops since before the iPad was even released.

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post
Touchscreen MacBook?

Never.

The 9.7” iPad. And the 7.9” iPad.

2. How do you hold a 13" iPad?

Very carefully.

Originally Posted by RegurgitatedCoprolite View Post
"%uF8FF" was supposed to be the Apple logo.

Option+Shift+K should do it. I’ve never understood how Windows users think memorizing Unicode commands is in any way acceptable.

Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

12.9 iPad? Too big. Too heavy. Too awkward. Too unbelievable.

7.9” iPad? Too small, too cramped, too stupid, too unusable.

I wasn’t wrong. Hopefully you’ll be.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #94 of 130
Amazing. Everyone was saying Apple was doomed for not making a smaller, cheaper iPad, then Apple is doomed if they don't release a mini with Retina Display, and now Apple is doomed of they don't make a larger, heavier one that runs Mac OS and have a pen (ala Surface RT)? Is Apple always doomed if they don't do whatever their competitors are doing?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #95 of 130
Quote:

From where I sit, you were very wrong on the Mini.  You assume your personal taste is somehow reflected in greater reality, when it isn't.

Old Mini sales were reportedly dead even with iPad 4 and it was still low res, running on a A5.

The new Retina Mini would likely be Apples sales star if not for muted, later launch and supply constraints.

post #96 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

A7X anyone?

I was surprised (as were others I think) that the new iPad Air still had an A7. Not because it doesn't have enough performance, but because Apple has been making X versions for higher resolution devices.

But there is no such thing as an A7X. It makes no sense to talk about desiring a nonexistent CPU. On what basis do you want a nonexistent CPU? Its imaginary performance? That's like saying you were surprised the MacBook Pro didn't use the nonexistent intel Core i9 because it would have beaten the i7 in an imaginary benchmark.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #97 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Amazing. Everyone was saying Apple was doomed for not making a smaller, cheaper iPad, then Apple is doomed if they don't release a mini with Retina Display, and now Apple is doomed of they don't make a larger, heavier one that runs Mac OS and have a pen (ala Surface RT)? Is Apple always doomed if they don't do whatever their competitors are doing?

you forgot to mention they are doomed because they released a non perfect gamut MiniR

post #98 of 130
Quote:

But there is no such thing as an A7X. It makes no sense to talk about desiring a nonexistent CPU. On what basis do you want a nonexistent CPU? Its imaginary performance? That's like saying you were surprised the MacBook Pro didn't use the nonexistent intel Core i9 because it would have beaten the i7 in an imaginary benchmark.

A6X

A5X

that's why.  They can easily increase the speed of the A7 just like they did with the A7 in the Air vs 5S.  All they need is more space

post #99 of 130
Quote:

But there is no such thing as an A7X. It makes no sense to talk about desiring a nonexistent CPU.

There is no such thing as a 13" iPad either. Imaginary products may as well include imaginary SoCs.

post #100 of 130

What will it be called, iPad Pro? BTW, Korean rumor? Next thing you will see is Galaxy Pad Pro 13", yup. Scamsung reponds to rumor well and release shitty products to be the first on market. Beat Apple to that.

post #101 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

There is no such thing as a 13" iPad either. Imaginary products may as well include imaginary SoCs.

There's rumor about 13" iPad. No rumor for A7x so far.

post #102 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

13 inch Retina screen

A7X

4GB ram

Touch ID

$649

And triple boots: iOS, Android and Windows 8...lol

post #103 of 130
Quote:

A6X
A5X

that's why.

Fascinating. Humans are programmed to expect patterns. I supposed that explains how agriculture was invented. Patterned thinking led to fulfilling basic needs when your species was young. This makes sense. We rarely get to probe your neuropsychology during abductions. There usually isn't enough time.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #104 of 130
Maybe in combination with some kind of improved virtual keyboard tech that makes possible greater typing accuracy? tactile feedback of some kind?
post #105 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

There's rumor about 13" iPad. No rumor for A7x so far.

So we can talk about imaginary iPad since someone made up a rumor, but we can't talk about what might be powering it, because no one has yet made up a rumor about that?

:rolleyes:

post #106 of 130
A 12.9 inch iPad with a regular Retina resolution of 2048 x 1536 will have 198-200 ppi. Doubling up to the next level, 4096 x 3072, battery power, GPU and thermal envelope permitting, means 396-400 ppi. Not outside the realm of possibility.

The pricetag could have a big number on it, but I am sure there would be a market for an iPad Pro. I am thinking medical imaging/scans for physicians, other industrial and scientific high-resolution imaging needs. Pricetag, small objection.
post #107 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shojin Monkey View Post

Maybe in combination with some kind of improved virtual keyboard tech that makes possible greater typing accuracy? tactile feedback of some kind?

I'd be happy with just a bigger display without any increased functionality.
post #108 of 130

12.9 inches ain't that big at all.

A standard piece of patter has a diagonal measurement of over 13.5 inches.

This would be a hot seller in enterprise even without any additional features besides larger screen.

post #109 of 130
Quote:

Quote:

A6X
A5X

that's why.

Fascinating. Humans are programmed to expect patterns. I supposed that explains how agriculture was invented. Patterned thinking led to fulfilling basic needs when your species was young. This makes sense. We rarely get to probe your neuropsychology during abductions. There usually isn't enough time.

You would have more time if you could reduce the time you spend on anal probes.
post #110 of 130
Quote:

Perhaps you'd like to explain why the GPU in the A7 is grossly under performing? Not when compared to other SoC's on the market (which is easily beats) but when compared to the previous 5 Series? Only thing I can think of is Apple hasn't yet "activated" the full performance capabilities of the 6 Series either by underclocking or even having unused cores.

post #111 of 130
I think it will be an iPad for a specific audience. I think it could be so useful for education. For teachers, to replace boards in some cases or for university students like me to read their notes more easily
post #112 of 130

Can't wait for this, bring it on Apple

post #113 of 130
Quote:

Larger screen, keyboard, possibly 2 apps parallel on screen, laptop screen size more portable, possibly specs between 9.7 inch IPad and 11(or 13) inch MacBook Air.
post #114 of 130

If Apple can find a way to make a 12" iPad appealing and usable, I'll find a way to buy it.

post #115 of 130
Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

That looks more like a 15”.

… 

I want that. Gotta keep telling myself to only get the 13”, because this wouldn’t be portable. Get the 13”, then get the 27” desktop…

post #116 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Perhaps you'd like to explain why the GPU in the A7 is grossly under performing? Not when compared to other SoC's on the market (which is easily beats) but when compared to the previous 5 Series? Only thing I can think of is Apple hasn't yet "activated" the full performance capabilities of the 6 Series either by underclocking or even having unused cores.

It never ceases to amaze me the predilection some of you have over what is supposedly missing from Apple products. When you're considering buying something, you look at what the seller is offering. If you are looking for a reason not to buy, you'll just focus in what is "missing." If there's a real need for what a missing feature, I can sympathize. But most of the spec whores and hardware geeks are simply getting worked up over some benchmark deficiency, and not a real need.

In any case, "missing performance" does not "prove" the existence of unused cores.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #117 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I’ve been saying this since 2008. It’s not that hard to see where Apple’s headed. I’ve known they would kill off their laptops since before the iPad was even released.

Never.

The 9.7” iPad. And the 7.9” iPad.

Very carefully.

Option+Shift+K should do it. I’ve never understood how Windows users think memorizing Unicode commands is in any way acceptable.

Since you're such an Einstein and you know where Apple is headed, spill it then, and let's hear it.  Unlike yourself, I don't see Apple killing off their laptops.

post #118 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That looks more like a 15”.

If you measure the diagonal it seems like it's double, if not a little more, and I don't think a 20" tablet is practical.
post #119 of 130

I am just going to play with Numbers a bit.

Apple needed a Bigger iPad for Certain type of Activities. Cashier , Display is one of them, designer, medical uses etc.

12.9 " Res at doubling of iPad Air, 4096 x 3072 = 396 PPI

Another Rumored iPhone Devices at less then 5"

4.95" Res at 1.5x of the iPhone 5 , 1704 x 960 = 396 PPI

I am going to guess and play by the rumors, the bigger iPad Pro wont be a Huge hit ( comparatively to iPad Air and Mini ). But will serve its purpose for those special type of usage and be used as a testing and yield ground for its Display Panel for what is properly the "Biggest" iPhone launch in history.

post #120 of 130

Wonder when they start making rumours of a 27 inch iPad and a 5 feet mac.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: Supplier now building 12.9-inch Apple iPad displays for early 2014 launch
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Supplier now building 12.9-inch Apple iPad displays for early 2014 launch