or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV update adds new channels from PBS & Yahoo Screen

Apple TV update adds new channels from PBS & Yahoo Screen

post #1 of 75
Content options on the Apple TV set-top box grew once again on Tuesday, as Apple added new channels for Yahoo Screen, as well as America's Public Broadcasting Service.

Apple TV

The new PBS channel on Apple TV gives users access to some of the network's shows, available to stream for free to their television set.

PBS is joined by Yahoo Screen, which includes content such as Saturday Night Live, The Colbert Report, and The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, as well as live news, events, music and original Yahoo programs.

Apple TV

The latest channels follow just weeks after Apple introduced the new iMovie Theater option on Apple TV, giving users the ability to view their iMovie-created content on their HDTV. Content served up by the device can be created in either iMovie for iOS or on a Mac.

Apple TV also added support for Major League Soccer and Disney Junior in an over-the-air update in September, while August saw the addition of Disney Channel and Disney XD. Other dedicated apps added throughout 2013 include Vevo, Weather Channel, Smithsonian Channel, HBO Go, WatchESPN, Sky News, CruncyRoll and Qello.

Yahoo

The Apple TV operating system was also given a minor update in October, though the hardware itself hasn't seen a significant refresh since March of 2012. That's helped to lead to speculation that Apple is working on a hardware refresh that could hit the market in the coming months.
post #2 of 75
Slowly building on that media library for that big day when Apple releases a beautiful 4k 3D TV.
post #3 of 75

More US only centric icons on my Apple TV, come on Apple. Either release local content or don't bother clogging up my screen with shit  I can't even use!

They need to release an App Store so that the A TV can be truly useful to non Americans!

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #4 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

More US only centric icons on my Apple TV, come on Apple. Either release local content or don't bother clogging up my screen with shit  I can't even use!

They need to release an App Store so that the A TV can be truly useful to non Americans!

Change your DNS.
post #5 of 75
What's up with that "Activate your Apple Tv" message? I'm hoping they can come to some sort of universal login/subscription service for all the apps/channels. Right now it's a complete mishmash.
post #6 of 75

Granted, I can't watch documentaries every night, but PBS programs like Nova, Nature and Frontline to name just a few are first class! And available online! :)

I hope this is the beginning of the end for cable companies! :)

post #7 of 75
Wasn't TWC supposed to launch Thier Apple TV app this fall?

Tbs, Fox News, fox business, all have apps that let you stream if you can authenticate. I don't understand how apple just can't put those channels on their appletv
post #8 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Quote:

Change your DNS.

Yep.

It's not Apple's fault that people live in foreign countries. And it's not Apple's fault that international licensing and distribution deals are the way that they are.

If somebody desires US content, then they can easily acquire it. When I was over in Europe this summer on vacation, I paid 5 dollars a month for a smart DNS service, and was able to access stuff like US Netflix without any issues. I didn't have any luck with HBO though.

As for these new channels, bring it on! Apple seems to be adding channels at a decent rate now, making the Apple TV better all of the time.

It would be nice if there was an option to hide the channels that you don't want though. For example, I have no use for the Disney channels, and I also don't have any annoying kids running around the house, so it would be nice to get rid of those, or at least hide them.

post #9 of 75
Apple really needs to rethink the Apple TV UI. It just doesn't work anymore. And it's really outdated I'm sure it hasn't been on the top of anyone's list at Apple but the more channels they add the more the UI seems really out of place.
post #10 of 75
When will the onion news available on Apple TV?

1wink.gif
post #11 of 75
@Apple ][ if you go into parental controls and 'block' the channels you don't want to see then they will disappear. I blocked all of the Disney Channels so they are not displayed on the home screen. :-)
post #12 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachLach View Post

@Apple ][ if you go into parental controls and 'block' the channels you don't want to see then they will disappear. I blocked all of the Disney Channels so they are not displayed on the home screen. :-)

Great! Cool!:)

That's good to know. I've only had my Apple TV for a short time, it's good to know that the blocking option exists!

Now my Apple TV will become even better!:smokey:

post #13 of 75
I hope the Yahoo Screen channel offers full episodes of The Daily Show and Colbert.

Quote:

Don't complain about clogging up your screen when you can easily remove any unused icons.
post #14 of 75
Quote:

Quote:

Change your DNS.

+1 this ^

I changed my aTV DNS to pickup the US version of Netflix but it flooded my aTV with new icons for Disney etc. Changing back didn't work, had to do a factory restore.

post #15 of 75
Quote:

Change your DNS.

That helps at your end? Mine doesn't show any of these new channels. Stock plus 4 others, Qello, Crunchsomething, NFL or something, plus...can't remember.
post #16 of 75

According to 9to5, the PBS app requires users to "sign in using Google+, Facebook, or the app’s registration in order to access PBS broadcasts for their location."  AI won't let me link to the 9to5 story, but it's not hard to find.

Quote:

LOL!  You can hide the icons.  :)

Edited by John.B - 11/19/13 at 8:48am

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

post #17 of 75

I tried to update my first generation Apple TV and it downloaded fine and was installing ok then it stopped and the white light has been blinking all night. I can't figure out how to fix this. I have tried unplugging it but as soon as I plug in back in the light starts blinking, I even tried the hold down the menu and left button but that didn't work. So my Apple tv is just sitting there blinking it's white light.

Any ideas how I can get it working again. It is wireless off a iMac running the newest OX

post #18 of 75

Yay, PBS!

post #19 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinson View Post

I tried to update my first generation Apple TV and it downloaded fine and was installing ok then it stopped and the white light has been blinking all night. I can't figure out how to fix this. I have tried unplugging it but as soon as I plug in back in the light starts blinking, I even tried the hold down the menu and left button but that didn't work. So my Apple tv is just sitting there blinking it's white light.

Any ideas how I can get it working again. It is wireless off a iMac running the newest OX

I had something similar happen. the update got jacked during the download. I believe the "reset" on the ATV is menu and play at the same time on the remote for 30 seconds you'll see the light flash… for me it was reset the device then update to the current OS. 

turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
turtles all the way up and turtles all the way down... infinite context means infinite possibility
post #20 of 75
When will the onion news available on Apple TV?

Yahoo Screen has several Onion clips.
post #21 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

LOL!  You can hide the icons.  :)

While this is true, it is decidedly un-Apple. For years they have resisted to clutter computers with trial- and junk ware, but everybody connecting a brand new Apple TV outside the US faces a screen flooded with inaccessible content. Clunky MS-like workarounds are not a good solution.

This is not a disaster, but inconvenient. For people having only the Apple Remote (no iOS device) managing anything on the Apple TV is troublesome enough.

post #22 of 75

Perfect timing. I was just thinking the other day that what my AppleTV needs, more than anything else, is more icons on the home screen that I don't use. Awesome!

-kpluck

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

Do you use MagicJack?

The default settings will automatically charge your credit card each year for service renewal. You will not be notified or warned in anyway. You can turn auto renewal off.

post #23 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's not Apple's fault that people live in foreign countries. And it's not Apple's fault that international licensing and distribution deals are the way that they are.

Miss the point much?  While it would be especially nice if Apple could get more local content for the non-US audience, it's a double slap in the face when they force US-centric apps onto the dashboard of the Apple TV.  Some of which are practically non-functional outside of the US, so should not be auto-deployed.  

And while you can hide them, it's an irritating manual process buried in a non-obvious place, that (in my experience) also generates some major annoyances with repeatedly asking for the parental control passcode.

censored

censored

post #24 of 75
Yawn.. Let me know when something big like Amazon gets on there.
post #25 of 75
But still no way to re-order the channels that you do see. And no easy way to control all of your logins.

For AppleTV to win, a universal subscription method would be key. At least let me configure it from my computer and push the config to each device. I have multiple AppleTV's in the house, and they each need to be set up on their own, from the device.

As this thing does more and more, proper organization is key.
post #26 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Miss the point much?  While it would be especially nice if Apple could get more local content for the non-US audience, it's a double slap in the face when they force US-centric apps onto the dashboard of the Apple TV.  Some of which are practically non-functional outside of the US, so should not be auto-deployed.  

And while you can hide them, it's an irritating manual process buried in a non-obvious place, that (in my experience) also generates some major annoyances with repeatedly asking for the parental control passcode.

So what about those people who live in those countries and are able to access US content? Should Apple not have updated their Apple TV's at all?

I don't see what the big deal is, especially since it appears that channels can be hidden. You do it once and it's hidden, is that not how it works? 

post #27 of 75

Thank you for the suggestion, I tried holding the menu and play button for 30 seconds, I tried all the buttons, the light is still blinking

frustrated

post #28 of 75
Quote:

REALLY?    Do you know what PBS is?    You might want to open your mind instead of clogging our screen with 

hate filled  Sh*t   ,  we can't use.

post #29 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinson View Post

Thank you for the suggestion, I tried holding the menu and play button for 30 seconds, I tried all the buttons, the light is still blinking

frustrated

On Apple's site, they mention the menu and down button:

Hold down Menu and Down on the Apple Remote for six seconds, and then release when you see the indicator light on the Apple TV blink rapidly.

post #30 of 75
I don't yet own an Apple TV box, but plan on buying the next version when it's released. But, as a newbie, I have a question: Which of the channels are free, and which are subscription-only?
post #31 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

While this is true, it is decidedly un-Apple. For years they have resisted to clutter computers with trial- and junk ware, but everybody connecting a brand new Apple TV outside the US faces a screen flooded with inaccessible content. Clunky MS-like workarounds are not a good solution.

This is not a disaster, but inconvenient. For people having only the Apple Remote (no iOS device) managing anything on the Apple TV is troublesome enough.

I'd say just toss all the 3rd party apps into an "Add Channels" button. This way, when you unpack and setup a brand new Apple TV, you only see media related "channels" across the top row or two followed by a channel with a big "+" symbol on it. Click that and you pull up a list of all available channels and just turn on the ones you want.

This accomplishes two things:

1. Removes clutter - A user is now able to slowly add content as they please. You can get a new channel, check it out, and then go look for something new when you're ready.

2. Turns channels into apps - If you can add and remove channels as you please, they're not really channels anymore. The average consumer can start thinking of channels the same way they think of Angry Birds or Reuters on their iDevice.

These items together provide an elegant stepping stone towards an App Store for the Apple TV, and all it takes is a Plus button.  :)

post #32 of 75

Things are certainly getting interesting on Apple TV.  There's clearly a plan in place.

post #33 of 75

What happens when I hold down the menu and bottom button is the blinking stops and gives me a light that isn't blinking but as soon as I let go it starts to blink again

post #34 of 75
Although I want the next ATV, Roku seems to be ahead of Apple outside of the GUI, which is slowly getting better. Feels like they're playing catch up.
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
post #35 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by apikoros View Post

I don't yet own an Apple TV box, but plan on buying the next version when it's released. But, as a newbie, I have a question: Which of the channels are free, and which are subscription-only?

The channels with free content are Smithsonian, Wall Street Journal, Weather Channel, Vevo, Vimeo, PBS, and Sky News. With Disney, HBO Go, Watch ESPN, you have to be a cable subscriber to those channels to watch the content. On Watch ESPN, you can watch live games that aren't being shown on TV for free, but you have to have an ISP that supports it such as Comcast. If you are a fan of soccer, there are a lot of games you can watch for free. The sports channels, Hulu Plus, and Netflix are all subscription. 

Edited by Boltsfan17 - 11/19/13 at 10:08am
post #36 of 75

It's kind of weird that every iOS device supports Amazon Instant Video except Apple TV...

post #37 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by macshark View Post

It's kind of weird that every iOS device supports Amazon Instant Video except Apple TV...

It does now-   

post #38 of 75

Let me guess. These two are BOTH dependent on you already owning cable or satellite service. Absolutely inexcusable.

Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post
Slowly building on that media library for that big day when Apple releases a beautiful 4k 3D TV.

Nope. Not in the slightest. Ever. Particularly the 3D bit.

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post
Perfect timing. I was just thinking the other day that what my AppleTV needs, more than anything else, is more icons on the home screen that I don't use. Awesome!

So, what, you’ve never used your Apple TV? Hide them.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #39 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Jojade View Post

But still no way to re-order the channels that you do see. 

If you hold down the center button on the remote, the icon will jiggle and you can reorder them as you please.  Additionally, as mentioned, you can hide what channels you don't want shown via Restrictions.

post #40 of 75

Looks to me like the PBS offerings are "Previews". What good is that?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV update adds new channels from PBS & Yahoo Screen