or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV update adds new channels from PBS & Yahoo Screen
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple TV update adds new channels from PBS & Yahoo Screen - Page 2

post #41 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by foad View Post
 

 

If you hold down the center button on the remote, the icon will jiggle and you can reorder them as you please.  Additionally, as mentioned, you can hide what channels you don't want shown via Restrictions.

Awesome - I should have tried that before - thank you!

post #42 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCore View Post
 

REALLY?    Do you know what PBS is?    You might want to open your mind instead of clogging our screen with 

hate filled  Sh*t   ,  we can't use.

Well it's The Public Broadcasting Service which is an American broadcaster if I am not mistaken. Not really seeing how another American channel is going to help anyone who is not, well..... American.

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #43 of 75
You need to use a mini USB cord and connect Apple TV to iTunes on your computer to have it restore to factory default .
post #44 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post
 

Well it's The Public Broadcasting Service which is an American broadcaster if I am not mistaken. Not really seeing how another American channel is going to help anyone who is not, well..... American.

What a moronic comment. Isn't wanting quality entertainment universal? Have you viewed any PBS stations to even see what they have to offer? 

 

Here's a list for you.

--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
post #45 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

What a moronic comment. Isn't wanting quality entertainment universal? Have you viewed any PBS stations to even see what they have to offer? 

Here's a list for you.

I think you are missing the point, it's great that Apple is adding more channels on a regular basis. However if you are not American (& millions of A TV owners aren't) then it does not matter how brilliant PBS etc is because we can't access it. 1oyvey.gif

Apple makes no effort to increase the multimedia value of the A TV outside of the US despite the fact that everyone outside of the US pays a large markup (an obscene mark up in the UK) for a product that lacks many, if not most of the benefits that the American consumer gets!

Apple either needs to make an effort to get local content or open up an App Store so that local content providers can do it for them.

It's not as if the A TV is new, they've had YEARS to look at getting content from the BBC etc onto the Apple TV.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #46 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

More US only centric icons on my Apple TV, come on Apple. Either release local content or don't bother clogging up my screen with shit  I can't even use!



 



They need to release an App Store so that the A TV can be truly useful to non Americans!

 



Change your DNS.
No need.
Easier is to create an iTunes us account. Netflix and some yahoo channels might not be visible, but vevo and most of the rest is. How to?
Plenty of advice found on the interwebs. Easiest is to get a gift card (US one) from a trusted source. The rest is a piece of cake.
And you pay for what you rent and buy, so it's kinda legal :-)
post #47 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post


I think you are missing the point, it's great that Apple is adding more channels on a regular basis. However if you are not American (& millions of A TV owners aren't) then it does not matter how brilliant PBS etc is because we can't access it. 1oyvey.gif

Apple makes no effort to increase the multimedia value of the A TV outside of the US despite the fact that everyone outside of the US pays a large markup (an obscene mark up in the UK) for a product that lacks many, if not most of the benefits that the American consumer gets!

Apple either needs to make an effort to get local content or open up an App Store so that local content providers can do it for them.

It's not as if the A TV is new, they've had YEARS to look at getting content from the BBC etc onto the Apple TV.

 

Got your point. My bad.

--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
--------------------------
"Why join the navy if you can be a pirate?"
-Steve Jobs
Reply
post #48 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post


I think you are missing the point, it's great that Apple is adding more channels on a regular basis. However if you are not American (& millions of A TV owners aren't) then it does not matter how brilliant PBS etc is because we can't access it. 1oyvey.gif

Apple makes no effort to increase the multimedia value of the A TV outside of the US despite the fact that everyone outside of the US pays a large markup (an obscene mark up in the UK) for a product that lacks many, if not most of the benefits that the American consumer gets!

Apple either needs to make an effort to get local content or open up an App Store so that local content providers can do it for them.

It's not as if the A TV is new, they've had YEARS to look at getting content from the BBC etc onto the Apple TV.

 

Beyond the fact that licensing deals are a pain in the butt, who's to say they haven't?  There is a lot of pushback when it comes to licensing products that connect to an actual TV.  Most media companies are weighing their options for fear of losing control.  Additionally, Apple TV is still somewhat of a hobby and I think that if anything, Apple is probably testing the waters of an SDK of some sorts.  I'm not sure if Apple would ever release an actual TV, but extending the platform seems entirely feasible and I see the addition of the new content to Apple TV is a good sign of that happening.  Apple is an American company that has much stronger ties in the US than anywhere else.  Why not test your developing platform where you have the most clout?  Even as it stands, I think the process of getting some of the channels up and running still needs a bit of work, so I don't think it is even fully baked yet.

 

I think as a stopgap to a full platform, AirPlay works reasonably well.  A lot of domestic & international content providers, including Amazon domestically and the BBC in the UK, have apps that can stream to the Apple TV.  It is a more expensive option than most would like but it's what is available right now.

post #49 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple really needs to rethink the Apple TV UI. It just doesn't work anymore. And it's really outdated I'm sure it hasn't been on the top of anyone's list at Apple but the more channels they add the more the UI seems really out of place.

The current AppleTV UI that was released last year (March 2012) is really outdated?  What do you want, complete overhauls every six months to make you happy?  Scrolling down and picking a channel is hard for you?  How does it not work anymore?  Read the other posts…you can use parental controls to hide the channels you don't have any interest in, or don't subscribe to.  You can also click and hold the select button and rearrange the channels in the order you desire.  It actually works rather well, and far better than the old interface in which you had no control over.

post #50 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post


I think you are missing the point, it's great that Apple is adding more channels on a regular basis. However if you are not American (& millions of A TV owners aren't) then it does not matter how brilliant PBS etc is because we can't access it. 1oyvey.gif

Apple makes no effort to increase the multimedia value of the A TV outside of the US despite the fact that everyone outside of the US pays a large markup (an obscene mark up in the UK) for a product that lacks many, if not most of the benefits that the American consumer gets!

Apple either needs to make an effort to get local content or open up an App Store so that local content providers can do it for them.

It's not as if the A TV is new, they've had YEARS to look at getting content from the BBC etc onto the Apple TV.

Thank you for clarifying your point, initially it seemed you were just behaving badly.    While your complaint is valid ,  I think you would be better served by returning the device.   .  The fact that you want ATV to offer local content is unlikely to result in meaningful fulfillment anytime soon. 

post #51 of 75

Thank you, Boltsfan17.

post #52 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post
 

The channels with free content are Smithsonian, Wall Street Journal, Weather Channel, Vevo, Vimeo, PBS, and Sky News. With Disney, HBO Go, Watch ESPN, you have to be a cable subscriber to those channels to watch the content. On Watch ESPN, you can watch live games that aren't being shown on TV for free, but you have to have an ISP that supports it such as Comcast. If you are a fan of soccer, there are a lot of games you can watch for free. The sports channels, Hulu Plus, and Netflix are all subscription. 

Thank you!

post #53 of 75
With the PBS app on the Apple TV, does this mean I can watch Downton Abbey without having to subscribe to Amazon Prime? That's great! Now I get to keep my Netflix subscription and still watch a show that Amazon kept exclusively for themselves since early this year.
post #54 of 75


The apps need to be better than this. This is some serious un-apple-like BS.
post #55 of 75
Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

 

Is this reliant on existing ownership of cable and satellite, or is this part of a subscription service specifically for PBS that you can get on a computer?

If the latter, this is perfectly fine and not “un-Apple” at all. There’s literally nothing else they could have done.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #56 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is this reliant on existing ownership of cable and satellite, or is this part of a subscription service specifically for PBS that you can get on a computer?


If the latter, this is perfectly fine and not “un-Apple” at all. There’s literally nothing else they could have done.

It's the latter. You just need to go to any browser (even an iPad or iPhone), register, provide a Zip code and you're good to go.

But the content isn't that good though. Nothing much to watch in there.
post #57 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

 

Yep.

 

It's not Apple's fault that people live in foreign countries. And it's not Apple's fault that international licensing and distribution deals are the way that they are.

They didn't have any trouble giving us WSJ, or MLB and NBA apps - two crappy American sports that pretty much no one outside the U.S. cares about!

 

Apple is becoming increasingly U.S.-centric with each new release, namely Maps, Siri, Apple TV and iTunes Radio.

 

And considering that two-thirds of Apple's income comes from outside America, you're just being a jerk by patronising us. But that's nothing new for Americans, most of whom don't own a passport, and probably couldn't point out where Europe or China is on a map.

post #58 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippy View Post

They didn't have any trouble giving us WSJ, or MLB and NBA apps - two crappy American sports that pretty much no one outside the U.S. cares about!

Apple is becoming increasingly U.S.-centric with each new release, namely Maps, Siri, Apple TV and iTunes Radio.

And considering that two-thirds of Apple's income comes from outside America, you're just being a jerk by patronising us. But that's nothing new for Americans, most of whom don't own a passport, and probably couldn't point out where Europe or China is on a map.

So over 1/3rd of their income comes from a single country, and that happens to be the country they reside and you think they should ignore that highly lucrative market? Good one!

And you fail you recognize that Apple has continually grown in markets outside the US by working hard to appeal to those other markets.
post #59 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

So what about those people who live in those countries and are able to access US content? Should Apple not have updated their Apple TV's at all?

Sure they should, but:

  1. If they're pushing that same update and unusable apps to other Apple TVs around the world then they're just wasting people's time and bandwidth.
  2. If they're pushing apps out that people don't want because they either require a subscription, or they've got niche appeal then they should offer a much more apparent way to either not install the app at all (preferable), or to hide it from view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post
 

I don't see what the big deal is, especially since it appears that channels can be hidden. You do it once and it's hidden, is that not how it works? 

You do it once until Apple adds an update and then you need to do it again.  Meanwhile, my Apple TV's storage is being bloated by useless apps when I'd much rather be given some choice about which ones I want - the mythical Apple TV App Store that everyone expects.

 

Plus, as I said, turning on Restrictions on my Apple TV seems to make a passcode authentication screen pop up whenever I want to buy anything; which pisses me off.  I'm the only person using my Apple TV, I don't need "restrictions", I want "options".

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #60 of 75
Originally Posted by nikmanshah View Post
But the content isn't that good though. Nothing much to watch in there.

 

They should throw up their entire back catalog, then. Bob Ross, Sesame Street, Nova, The Red Green Show, all that stuff.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #61 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They should throw up their entire back catalog, then. Bob Ross, Sesame Street, Nova, The Red Green Show, all that stuff.

I was hoping they would, but no, they didn't put those all up in the Apple TV up. I guess they want to monetize that by licensing them to streaming providers like Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime etc.
post #62 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Sure they should, but:
  1. If they're pushing that same update and unusable apps to other Apple TVs around the world then they're just wasting people's time and bandwidth.
  2. If they're pushing apps out that people don't want because they either require a subscription, or they've got niche appeal then they should offer a much more apparent way to either not install the app at all (preferable), or to hide it from view.
You do it once until Apple adds an update and then you need to do it again.  Meanwhile, my Apple TV's storage is being bloated by useless apps when I'd much rather be given some choice about which ones I want - the mythical Apple TV App Store that everyone expects.

Plus, as I said, turning on Restrictions on my Apple TV seems to make a passcode authentication screen pop up whenever I want to buy anything; which pisses me off.  I'm the only person using my Apple TV, I don't need "restrictions", I want "options".

You know, you could subscribe to a DNS service that allows you to access those content. Except for the ones requiring US cable subscription to activate, of course. But the other ones can easily be accessed by these DNS services. Doesn't cost much to subscribe to one, and some are even free, albeit less user-friendly.
post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post


So over 1/3rd of their income comes from a single country, and that happens to be the country they reside and you think they should ignore that highly lucrative market? Good one!

And you fail you recognize that Apple has continually grown in markets outside the US by working hard to appeal to those other markets.

I never said they should ignore it. But almost a quarter of their income comes from Europe and we have nowhere near the features in the things I mentioned as the U.S. does. 

post #64 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippy View Post

I never said they should ignore it. But almost a quarter of their income comes from Europe and we have nowhere near the features in the things I mentioned as the U.S. does. 

You so realize the US is a single country unlike the continent of Europe, right?
post #65 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post


You so realize the US is a single country unlike the continent of Europe, right?

I would expect no less of anyone here to make excuses for Apple and to depend them come-what-may. You're doing a grand job.

post #66 of 75
Originally Posted by trippy View Post
I would expect no less of anyone here to make excuses for Apple and to depend them come-what-may. You're doing a grand job.


Neither of you is entirely in the right here, so just drop it now, maybe?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #67 of 75
Did anyone else have problems completing the activation using Safari? I was able to type in the activation code, but then had to register an account by clicking either the Facebook icon, Google+ icon or the PBS icon. Clicking on any icon did nothing. I had to do it on Firefox. 1rolleyes.gif
post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikmanshah View Post


You know, you could subscribe to a DNS service that allows you to access those content. Except for the ones requiring US cable subscription to activate, of course. But the other ones can easily be accessed by these DNS services. Doesn't cost much to subscribe to one, and some are even free, albeit less user-friendly.

I could, except:

  1. I'd have to pay more or go to effort to sort it out.
  2. It's grey-area legality.
  3. I don't have any interest in that content.

 

Naturally the third makes the first two somewhat irrelevant anyway, and gets to the crux of what it's so annoying that Apple keeps adding crud that I don't want onto the Apple TV (as well as iOS generally).  Most everyone here acclaims Apple for keeping carrier bullshit off their iPhones, but there's a tolerance when Apple stuffs the screens full of their own bloatware.  Different rules, apparently.

censored

Reply

censored

Reply
post #69 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

More US only centric icons on my Apple TV, come on Apple. Either release local content or don't bother clogging up my screen with shit  I can't even use!

They need to release an App Store so that the A TV can be truly useful to non Americans!
As long as they don't perform a geographical check like Netflix does, I'm happy as a clam. Wonderful content on PBS, right here in Hong Kong.
post #70 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCore View Post

 
REALLY?    Do you know what PBS is?    You might want to open your mind instead of clogging our screen with 
hate filled  Sh*t   ,  we can't use.
Well it's The Public Broadcasting Service which is an American broadcaster if I am not mistaken. Not really seeing how another American channel is going to help anyone who is not, well..... American.
Yeah, it's not like anyone else in the whole world watches Sesame Street or Nova or anything like that. 1rolleyes.gif
post #71 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Did anyone else have problems completing the activation using Safari? I was able to type in the activation code, but then had to register an account by clicking either the Facebook icon, Google+ icon or the PBS icon. Clicking on any icon did nothing. I had to do it on Firefox. 1rolleyes.gif
I activated PBS on Facebook using Safari in Mavericks. No problems at all.
post #72 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I activated PBS on Facebook using Safari in Mavericks. No problems at all.
I was able to activate, but not sign in or create an account. When I get the screen with 3 icons (Facebook, Google+ and PBS), nothing happens when I click them. I don't know if it's a settings thing or what.
post #73 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I think you are missing the point, it's great that Apple is adding more channels on a regular basis. However if you are not American (& millions of A TV owners aren't) then it does not matter how brilliant PBS etc is because we can't access it. 1oyvey.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View PostView Post

Yeah, it's not like anyone else in the whole world watches Sesame Street or Nova or anything like that. 1rolleyes.gif

 

Last I checked, I couldn't access BBC content. That's not Apple's fault.

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #74 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Last I checked, I couldn't access BBC content. That's not Apple's fault.

Indeed, Apple isn't at fault here. Certainly would hope they can convince all studios to give them a la carte channels, on demand, and accessible anywhere in the world.

But I think this is a dreamed-up world.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #75 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I think you are missing the point, it's great that Apple is adding more channels on a regular basis. However if you are not American (& millions of A TV owners aren't) then it does not matter how brilliant PBS etc is because we can't access it. 1oyvey.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View PostView Post

Yeah, it's not like anyone else in the whole world watches Sesame Street or Nova or anything like that. 1rolleyes.gif

 

Last I checked, I couldn't access BBC content. That's not Apple's fault.

The point is that you CAN watch PBS outside of the US on the Apple TV. I do it right here in Hong Kong.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple TV update adds new channels from PBS & Yahoo Screen