or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Made for iPhone gaming controllers continue to debut with Logitech's new PowerShell
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Made for iPhone gaming controllers continue to debut with Logitech's new PowerShell

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Accessory makers continue to debut their officially sanctioned Made for iPhone gaming controllers ahead of the holiday shopping season, with Logitech on Wednesday announcing its new battery-equipped, Lightning-connected PowerShell Controller.

Logitech


Compatible with the iPhone 5s, iPhone 5, or fifth-generation iPod touch, the $99.99 PowerShell Controller + Battery requires a device running iOS 7. Users insert their compatible device into the controller as they would a standard case, and are granted access to analog, off-screen controls for more precise gaming.

The PowerShell is equipped with a D-Pad on the left side and A, B, X, and Y face buttons on the right. Shoulder buttons are also located on the top of the controller.

The accessory offers full access to the power on-off, volume, camera, speakers, headphone jack, and charging. And the inclusion of a 1500 mAh battery increases longevity while playing.

Compatible titles include Bastion, Fast & Furious 6: The Game, MetalStorm Aces, Galaxy On Fire 2 HD, and Nitro, among others. It's available through Logitech's online store, the Apple Online Store, and Best Buy's website, with additional retailers carrying the device in December.



"We designed this controller to deliver a true console-gaming experience on an iOS 7 mobile device," said Ehtisham Rabbani, general manager of the Logitech gaming business. "With gaming so pervasive on the mobile platform -- our research shows that 87 percent of iPhone and iPod touch users play games on their device -- it's time to revolutionize the experience."

The announcement of Logitech's official iOS-compatible controller comes a day after MOGA announced its own $99 controller, the Ace Power. MOGA's offering goes a few steps further than Logitech's, offering both a D-pad and twin joysticks on the face of the accessory.
post #2 of 24
This would only really be relevant if I could AirPlay my Games thru my Apple TV to my home Television. Sure the analog controls would be better for more involved gameplay, but $100 is expensive - even if it adds more battery life.
post #3 of 24

Another $99 devices. Rip off.

 

These need to be $49.  I can buy an entire gaming system for $99

post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by walletinspector View Post

This would only really be relevant if I could AirPlay my Games thru my Apple TV to my home Television. Sure the analog controls would be better for more involved gameplay, but $100 is expensive - even if it adds more battery life.

You can
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
Reply
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher
Reply
post #5 of 24

What happens when the size of the iPhone increases next year ?

 

Do I spend another $99 for a new controller ?  I think not.

post #6 of 24
D-pad = Fail
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyPie View Post

What happens when the size of the iPhone increases next year ?

Do I spend another $99 for a new controller ?  I think not.

Easy, don't buy the bigger iPhone.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #8 of 24

I will never again buy any Logitech product. They got the crappiest customer service in the world, their product quality is horrible and  asin my case, although they confirmed the product is still under warranty, they still refused to service the unit since the reseller was not able to provide me with a printed bill. Logitech? Nononononononoooo. 

post #9 of 24
I think it is sweet
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

D-pad = Fail


How so?

post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post


How so?

Because they suck and are utterly useless, anyone that plays games knows this. It should've been a mini joystick.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Because they suck and are utterly useless, anyone that plays games knows this. It should've been a mini joystick.


Nice blanket statement. You couldn't be more wrong. D-pads do not suck and are certainly not "Utterly useless". Speaking as an owner of well over 50 different systems & having been a gamer for 35 years D-pads when done right are very integral to the gaming experience.

post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post


Nice blanket statement. You couldn't be more wrong. D-pads do not suck and are certainly not "Utterly useless". Speaking as an owner of well over 50 different systems & having been a gamer for 35 years D-pads when done right are very integral to the gaming experience.

Then you must have a calloused thumb. D-pads always gave me blisters. Plus the D-pad is probably digital whereas most joysticks are analog and has levels of sensitivity.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #14 of 24

This one is waaaay nicer.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #15 of 24
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Because they suck and are utterly useless

 

Great argument.

 
…anyone that plays games knows this.

 

Sure thing. Keep telling yourself that.

 
It should've been a mini joystick.  

 

What, and break off instantly, rendering the entire device useless? Come on. We all know what happened to the PSP.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #16 of 24

This is an interesting development 8-)

post #17 of 24

I wonder if M$ is going to have an issue with the name PowerShell as that's also what they call their integrated scripting environment for Windows 7 and above.

post #18 of 24
This seems like it would be great for car games. Just being able to get our thumbs off the screen...
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Then you must have a calloused thumb. D-pads always gave me blisters. Plus the D-pad is probably digital whereas most joysticks are analog and has levels of sensitivity.
I'll agree that for the most part analog sticks are my primary gaming interaction but the d-pad plays a fairly big part as well for me
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Easy, don't buy the bigger iPhone.

Haven't you heard, everybody wants a bigger iPhone and the current one is way too small and therefore doesn't make you look ridiculous when you use it  /s

post #21 of 24
I kinda like it. I'd love to see more of this kind of thing in different types of shells, depending on the kind of game (flying, shooters, sports, etc.).

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ama695 View Post
 

I will never again buy any Logitech product. They got the crappiest customer service in the world, their product quality is horrible and  asin my case, although they confirmed the product is still under warranty, they still refused to service the unit since the reseller was not able to provide me with a printed bill. Logitech? Nononononononoooo. 

 

Wow, I've had the complete opposite experience. They've shipped me replacements for free, no questions asked. All the logitech products I've bought have been well designed and reliable. They also look pretty good. I consider them one of the best, if not best overall accessory maker. 

post #23 of 24
Nice. They make a demo video that doesn't even show the product being used.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Haven't you heard, everybody wants a bigger iPhone and the current one is way too small and therefore doesn't make you look ridiculous when you use it  /s

I'm not "everybody" but I want an iPhone with a bigger screen. It's my biggest complaint with the device and will probably be the reason I replace my iPhone 4S with an Android device. I was okay with the screen size until I bought an iPad but now it feels tiny (I'm reminded of Jobs' famous "sand paper" comment). Sorry if you don't understand why somebody would want a larger screen iPhone but at the end of the day you're not "everybody" anymore than I am.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Made for iPhone gaming controllers continue to debut with Logitech's new PowerShell
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Made for iPhone gaming controllers continue to debut with Logitech's new PowerShell