or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google Play Newsstand launches on Android, coming to Apple's iOS in 2014
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google Play Newsstand launches on Android, coming to Apple's iOS in 2014

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
Android on Wednesday received its counterpart to Apple's own iOS Newsstand in the form of Google Play Newsstand, a news and magazine subscription hub that will also arrive on iPhone and iPad in 2014.

Newsstand


Like Apple's Newwstand for iOS, Google Play Newsstand allows users to subscribe to magazines and other publications that are all presented in one convenient place. But Google's offering goes one step further with the inclusion of its Currents service, offering a Flipboard-like presentation of the latest news from various Web sources.

Newspapers are also included in Google Play Newsstand, including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times. Paid subscriptions are available, and many titles come with free 30-day trials.

Newsstand


In all, Google says the Play Newsstand has about 1,900 free and paid publications, which also include titles like The New Yorker, Wired, and Vanity Fair.

Google already has a dedicated Currents app for Apple's iOS platform, but a full-fledged Play Newsstand will be arriving on iOS in early 2014, the company has pledged. There, it will compete with Apple's own built-in Newsstand, which offers free and paid magazines and newspapers.
post #2 of 50

Can't wait until Newsstand launches on the Appstore (yes, I'm sarcastically referring to Amazon).

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #3 of 50
Why would anyone want this on an iPad or iPhone? If I wanted a subscription I would use the iOS version already on my phone and not have to worry about Google creeping on my reading habits.
post #4 of 50
googleco couldn't even come up with a more original name?

geek engineers have no imagination...
post #5 of 50

So, wait, why can’t they be sued for this? App Store and Appstore are “different” (burn the judge), but Newsstand and Newsstand aren’t. 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #6 of 50
Free stuff is fine.
But they cannot compete as it is price + that 30% fee.
A win win for Apple.
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post

Why would anyone want this on an iPad or iPhone? If I wanted a subscription I would use the iOS version already on my phone and not have to worry about Google creeping on my reading habits.

Not everybody uses everything Apple. Some people use both. Same with Kindle books.
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #8 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So, wait, why can’t they be sued for this? App Store and Appstore are “different” (burn the judge), but Newsstand and Newsstand aren’t. 

They would have to sue every Pakistani Newsstand in NYC then based upon your logic.
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
 
Where's the new Apple TV?
Reply
post #9 of 50
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post
They would have to sue every Pakistani Newsstand in NYC then based upon your logic.

 

There are multiple Pakistani newsstands in New York City that are entirely digital and have no ties to the physical world of media? 

 

I suppose next you’ll say Microsoft can sue (or be sued by) New York City for having millions of windows.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #10 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There are multiple Pakistani newsstands in New York City that are entirely digital and have no ties to the physical world of media? 

I suppose next you’ll say Microsoft can sue (or be sued by) New York City for having millions of windows.

Those points aren't exactly analogous.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #11 of 50
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
Those points aren't exactly analogous.

 

Exactly. I don’t know why he brought up physical newspaper stands in the first place.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #12 of 50

So Google renames their "magazines" app to "Newsstand", and their "Gallery" app to "photos". I sense a trend here. 

 

Seriously, have some fucking originality. No need to ape Apple even in the naming department, all the time. It's always the same story- Apple does all the heavy lifting, and takes all the risks in making something mainstream/the standard, and others lazily just ape it after the concept has proven successful. 

post #13 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So, wait, why can’t they be sued for this? App Store and Appstore are “different” (burn the judge), but Newsstand and Newsstand aren’t. 

Literally tons of prior art, and one buys the same things, just in digital form.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #14 of 50
Apple should create a search engine and call it "Googol".
post #15 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

So Google renames their "magazines" app to "Newsstand", and their "Gallery" app to "photos". I sense a trend here. 

 

Seriously, have some fucking originality. No need to ape Apple even in the naming department, all the time. It's always the same story- Apple does all the heavy lifting, and takes all the risks in making something mainstream/the standard, and others lazily just ape it after the concept has proven successful. 

Do you consider the names "Newsstand" and "Photos" novel to begin with? 

post #16 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple should create a search engine and call it "Googol".

That's idiotic. A newsstand has historically been a place to buy periodicals, so obviously in the digital age it's not unique nor really creative to call a app to purchase digital periodicals a 'newsstand', but google is a number and it's use for a search engine is unique.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #17 of 50
Google Play Newsstand?!!!!

Those idiots don't have a clue to come up with some proper product name! WTF really!

Jelly bean, kitfuc.kingkat .... LOL

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

Reply
post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Literally tons of prior art, and one buys the same things, just in digital form.

And newsstand.co.uk has been providing newsstand services in electronic form since 1995

 

Interesting that Google must have copied Apple and should be sued for it, but Apple did not copy newsstand.

post #19 of 50
Just one more Google App that I will not be installing.
post #20 of 50
I wish Apple would make Newsstand into a news aggregator for free and paid content. Why not make it like an RSS reader where you can add feeds from news sources like AppleInsider and it would show a wall of articles with previews of the page content instead of just the titles using the same kind of method that Safari Reader uses to pull the main text from a page? I personally don't like free trials of magazines, I'd rather that articles were published individually with some free and others paid. So if you subscribe to Esquire, the aggregate feed would fill up with Esquire articles and some would be premium articles, some free. To get the premium content, you'd either be billed monthly or pay per article with an in-app purchase. Google's Current seems to be a feed aggregator like this but it uses time-limited trials too.

The more I build up the news wall, the more that content can be recommended or tailored in future. This is something that Yahoo should get in on with their Feedly tech. They can have videos like the WSJ can add interviews. They can have ads (iAds) instead of payment.

Right now, Newsstand just does the usual boring subscribe to each publication and you have to go into each magazine and filter through the whole publication to find something interesting.
post #21 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I wish Apple would make Newsstand into a news aggregator for free and paid content. Why not make it like an RSS reader where you can add feeds from news sources

I believe that's what Google's NewsStand offers but not entirely certain. I think that's what the AI article is saying anyway.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #22 of 50
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Literally tons of prior art, and one buys the same things, just in digital form.

 

Yes, we know you don’t have the first clue what anyone here is discussing. You don’t need to keep reminding us.

 

Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Interesting that Google must have copied Apple and should be sued for it, but Apple did not copy newsstand.

 

Because this suit would be in the US, not the UK? Because your example isn’t really relevant here? Come on.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #23 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, we know you don’t have the first clue what anyone here is discussing. You don’t need to keep reminding us.

I don't care what you were discussing. I was responding to your comment, plain and simple.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #24 of 50
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
I don't care what you were discussing.

 

Then I don’t care what your response is. You don’t care, therefore you can’t be correct. 

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #25 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then I don’t care what your response is. You don’t care, therefore you can’t be correct. 

You obviously do because you took time to reply to it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #26 of 50
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
You obviously do because you took time to reply to it.

 

So, what, you’re five? Run along, kiddo.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #27 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I believe that's what Google's NewsStand offers but not entirely certain. I think that's what the AI article is saying anyway.

I know you have a quick response time on the Google promotion but if you'd read to the end of the comment, you'd have picked up where I said:

"Google's Current seems to be a feed aggregator like this but it uses time-limited trials too."

Also, I don't care about Google doing it, my suggestions are for Apple to do it.
post #28 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I know you have a quick response time on the Google promotion but if you'd read to the end of the comment, you'd have picked up where I said:

"Google's Current seems to be a feed aggregator like this but it uses time-limited trials too."

Also, I don't care about Google doing it, my suggestions are for Apple to do it.

I would assume then you mean similar to Google implementation since the article was about them in the first place and you too read it as including a hybridized RSS feeder.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #29 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I would assume then you mean similar to Google implementation since the article was about them in the first place and you too read it as including a hybridized RSS feeder.

No, I mean similar to my suggestions back in March, which Google obviously stole!:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156649/yahoo-buying-ios-app-summly-removes-it-from-app-store-for-power-nap#post_2300660

"I actually think this would have been a good idea for Newsstand. Rather than subscribe to one publication, you'd tell it your interests and it would feed summaries of relevant articles into a wall of content and you'd be able to rank each article, like a personalised newspaper. It could be a single subscription and the subscription fee would be divided between the articles you read. If you read too many articles for your subscription level, it can cap the amount of articles that feed in. I actually don't use Newsstand at all because there isn't a single source of information that covers what I can get online. RSS helps but I still have to click though each article and there's no way for content creators to monetise it effectively."

These suggestions are meant for Apple. Google's obviously just finished development on the stolen idea and probably took layout design from Flipboard:

http://gigaom.com/2013/11/20/google-kills-currents-launches-a-flipboard-style-newsstand-with-support-for-newspaper-paywalls/

I actually don't mind who makes it as long as it's done but Apple doing it wouldn't be copying Google if that's what you're implying.
post #30 of 50
When does Google's business plan of giving away free what everyone else is selling become "dumping," which is illegal?
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #31 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

When does Google's business plan of giving away free what everyone else is selling become "dumping," which is illegal?

Is there such a thing as illegally dumping software code? That's all it is and not physical merchandise.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

No, I mean similar to my suggestions back in March, which Google obviously stole!:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156649/yahoo-buying-ios-app-summly-removes-it-from-app-store-for-power-nap#post_2300660

"I actually think this would have been a good idea for Newsstand. Rather than subscribe to one publication, you'd tell it your interests and it would feed summaries of relevant articles into a wall of content and you'd be able to rank each article, like a personalised newspaper. It could be a single subscription and the subscription fee would be divided between the articles you read. If you read too many articles for your subscription level, it can cap the amount of articles that feed in. I actually don't use Newsstand at all because there isn't a single source of information that covers what I can get online. RSS helps but I still have to click though each article and there's no way for content creators to monetise it effectively."

These suggestions are meant for Apple. Google's obviously just finished development on the stolen idea and probably took layout design from Flipboard:

http://gigaom.com/2013/11/20/google-kills-currents-launches-a-flipboard-style-newsstand-with-support-for-newspaper-paywalls/

I actually don't mind who makes it as long as it's done but Apple doing it wouldn't be copying Google if that's what you're implying.

I've never suggested Apple copies anyone on anything. Everyone is influenced by others, but few actually copy. (Samsung might be an exception)
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #33 of 50
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
Is there such a thing as illegally dumping software code? That's all it is and not physical merchandise.

 

Magical. I guess Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer weren’t code, then.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Magical. I guess Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer weren’t code, then.

Not sure your point. Is either of those products being "dumped"? Or was it instead that Microsoft charges for those products so something like OpenOffice or Firefox would be examples of "illegal dumping"?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

No, I mean similar to my suggestions back in March, which Google obviously stole!.

lol.gif1cool.gif
Yeah we all have the ears of folks at Apple and Google. I suspect they hang on our every word. . . or at least maybe it wouldn't hurt for them to listen.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #36 of 50

This is akin to saying Apple copied Android for adding a Notification Center in iOS.

 

​So which is it? Either Apple copied Google and Google copied Apple, or neither really copied the other and added obvious convenience features that made sense?

 

 

By the way, for those not in the know... NextStep has had an API class called NSNotificationCenter for two decades now that's used by other objects to post and receive notifications. So the concept of a notification center has existed long before Android, just as the concept of a newsstand existed before Apple's App.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


That's idiotic. A newsstand has historically been a place to buy periodicals, so obviously in the digital age it's not unique nor really creative to call a app to purchase digital periodicals a 'newsstand', but google is a number and it's use for a search engine is unique.

 

Not to argue, because it is silly, but historically a newsstand is a place to buy periodicals... No one saved the periodicals they purchased in a newsstand, which is what Apple's app is; a place to collect periodicals that you subscribed too. There's a slight difference.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #38 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post
 

And newsstand.co.uk has been providing newsstand services in electronic form since 1995

 

Interesting that Google must have copied Apple and should be sued for it, but Apple did not copy newsstand.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Because this suit would be in the US, not the UK? Because your example isn’t really relevant here? Come on.

 

I know this information may change your view of the world but the internet is world wide. newsstand.co.uk trades in every country that somone places an order from. 

 

Do apple call their product something else in the UK? 

post #39 of 50
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

I know this information may change your view of the world but the internet is world wide. 

 

Is Britain the entire world?

 

Do apple call their product something else in the UK? 

 

They call the AirPort family ‘AirMac’ in Japan. Not relevant to this topic yet, though. They’d be suing Google here.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

And newsstand.co.uk has been providing newsstand services in electronic form since 1995

Interesting that Google must have copied Apple and should be sued for it, but Apple did not copy newsstand.
All the discussion about lawsuits is dumb anyway. Everything every company is coming up with is influenced by other ideas and/or products that came before. Here it seems like folks advocate "all lawsuits, all the time". Silly. FWIW I won't be at all surprised to find Apple rolling an RSS reader into their own Newsstand at some point. It won't be copying when they do either anymore than The Sun Times is a copy of The New York Times is a copy of the Tampa Bay Times
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Google Play Newsstand launches on Android, coming to Apple's iOS in 2014
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Google Play Newsstand launches on Android, coming to Apple's iOS in 2014