or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nine Inch Nails rocker Trent Reznor pulls out iPhone 5s on stage to FaceTime with dying friend
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nine Inch Nails rocker Trent Reznor pulls out iPhone 5s on stage to FaceTime with dying friend

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
During a show in Las Vegas last weekend, Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor paid tribute to a friend battling terminal cancer by pulling out his iPhone 5s to initiate a FaceTime call with him on stage during his show.

NIN FaceTime


Reznor's FaceTime call brought photojournalist Andrew Youssef virtually on stage in front of an audience cheering his name. Youssef has spent years capturing the live music scene as a concert photographer, documenting acts from Black Sabbath to the Cold War Kids.

According to a report by music site Consequence of Sound, Youssef was diagnosed with advanced colon cancer in 2011, and has spent his time since documenting his efforts to continue his photography while battling the disease in "Last Shot," a regular column for OC Weekly.

His last column appeared October 3, where he described an assignment photographing Depeche Mode, writing, "my strength is definitely not where it should be but with the help of my brother who drove and helped carried my camera bag, I successfully accomplished my mission."

In covering NIN's performance at San Francisco's Outside Lands Festival this summer, Youssef described his emotional connection with the band's music and lyrics entwined in his own battle with cancer.

Reznor began following Youssef on Twitter shortly afterward, and then invited him to a performance at the more intimate Troubadour in West Hollywood, where the two became fast friends. As Youssef's condition deteriorated, his doctor advised against also attending the November 16th show at the Hard Rock Hotel as he had planned.



That prompted Reznor to connected with Youssef via FaceTime as the crowd cheered, sharing the event and dedicating the song "In This Twilight" to Youssef.

Apple's Steve Jobs first announced FaceTime in 2010 as a feature of the then new iPhone 4, and subsequently made the video conferencing system available to the iPod touch and to Mac users by the end of that year. Last year, iOS 6 enabled FaceTime over mobile networks rather than being WiFi only, and the latest iOS 7 enables audio-only calls.

Apple has presented FaceTime in a series of emotionally touching ads that focus on the value of face-to-face communication, including this summer's spot ending with the line, "everyday, more people connect face-to-face on the iPhone than any other phone."
post #2 of 38
Brilliant! Very touching. I'm an expat living in China and bought an iPad for my mother back in the States who has terminal cancer so that we can see and speak with each other regularly. And so she can get to know her 3 year old granddaughter who was born here. Thank you SJ for bringing so much to so many!
post #3 of 38
Wow! What a nice article.
"We're surrounded by anonymous, poorly made objects. It's tempting to think it's because the people who use them don't care -- just like the people who make them." - Jony Ive, 2014
Reply
"We're surrounded by anonymous, poorly made objects. It's tempting to think it's because the people who use them don't care -- just like the people who make them." - Jony Ive, 2014
Reply
post #4 of 38
And that's why #movember is important. Colon cancer may not be as "sexy" as breast cancer, but it kills you just as dead.
Grow a moustache and fund research!

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Brilliant! Very touching. I'm an expat living in China and bought an iPad for my mother back in the States who has terminal cancer so that we can see and speak with each other regularly. And so she can get to know her 3 year old granddaughter who was born here. Thank you SJ for bringing so much to so many!

Because there was no video chat before facetime ?

post #6 of 38
Samsung marketing take note!! You're bribing the wrong people!!
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post
 

Because there was no video chat before facetime ?

 

There was video calling usually of such poor quality people rarely bothered.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post
 

Because there was no video chat before facetime ?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post
 

I could also have said I would have saved the $500 on an ipad for medical costs, and just installed a free video chat application on an available computer (which might not have been available)

 

 

Firstly, who are you to decide for another poster what is the best thing to do with the cost of an iPad when it comes to their terminally ill relative? For goodness sake.

 

Secondly, you admit a computer may not have been available. Also, we don't know the person's circumstances, but in terms of ease of use and portability, the combination of FaceTime (or Skype) on an iPad is probably the best combination available for someone that might not be as tech savvy as this of us who post here, or even just for hassle-free use. In their situation, being able to communicate easily and reliably (and inexpensively) is the most important thing.

 

Amongst all the trolling and worse that takes place on this site, your post is actually one of the most offensive I've seen in some time.


Edited by sennen - 11/21/13 at 5:11am
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Because there was no video chat before facetime ?

Sure there was, but 1) it sucked, and 2) it sucked. In my view most video conferencing still sucks in comparison to Facetime. I had to use Skype last week for an interview. It took five minutes for the other person to get the audio to work, and the picture was grainy. Finally, FaceTime on an iPad is especially great.
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post
 

 

I'm with mausz here. He/she makes a valid point that you fanatics would never admit to. 

 

Thanks, but I should have known once the argument contains sickness or children any criticism is never welcome. Should just have focussed on the part 'Thank you SJ for bringing so much to so many!'.

 

Nobody is ever thanking others for the work they did, as if mobile networks, arm chips,lion technology, lcd screens etc. just suddenly appeared with the launch of the iphone. They should not be thanked because it was just technological progress, and so was the iPhone. Standing on the shoulders of others to achieve greater things.

post #11 of 38

I think that it is wonderful how Mac-Daddy and Mausz with no knowledge of the situation can second guess a persons decision.  Freerange shared something that was done and was relative to the article.  No mention was made of other technology in the article. 

post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Read all of my 219 posts ?

I could also have said I would have saved the $500 on an ipad for medical costs, and just installed a free video chat application on an available computer (which might not have been available)
mausz, do you realize why your comments here are so offensive? What's important here are a mother dying of cancer and her child trying to stay in touch during that end time. It is the depth of insensitivity for you to debase their solution to a communications dilemma by making your snarky comments. Character counts, and people with character and compassion in situations like this know enough to hold their tongues. Show this to your mother and ask her what she thinks. She would be disappointed in you.
Edited by Kibitzer - 11/21/13 at 6:06am

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #13 of 38
Something seems slightly bad taste about using a story about a terminally ill patient as propoganda for Apple products.

Why not just write about the positive news that an ill person's morale was boosted by a good deed, rather than bang on about how wonderful Apple's tech is (which it is, but still...)?
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
Reply
"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything" Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale/Robert_E._Lee
Reply
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

 

Nobody is ever thanking others for the work they did, as if mobile networks, arm chips,lion technology, lcd screens etc. just suddenly appeared with the launch of the iphone. They should not be thanked because it was just technological progress, and so was the iPhone. Standing on the shoulders of others to achieve greater things.

 

A chef puts together his kitchen, hires his staff, sources his products, plans his meal and delivers it to his customers.  Do you honor the creative effort or the mundane technical skill of the many cooks?

post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post


 Show this to your mother and ask her what she thinks. She would be disappointed in you.

It's unfortunate that the English language has given rise to the word "selfies," but your comments demonstrate why.

 

How inconsiderate of you to assume my parents are still alive and the need for you to bring them up in this discussion, while my father passed away 12 years ago (Melanoma (skin-cancer)). During his sickness he had no need for videochats or phonecalls, I took a long leave from my work and stayed with him.

post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Because there was no video chat before facetime ?

Apple made it matter.

The most usable, best-implemented iteration of tech and tech services are to be found on iDevices.

It's easy to do something. It's harder to do it right.
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

How inconsiderate of you to assume my parents are still alive and the need for you to bring them up in this discussion, while my father passed away 12 years ago (Melanoma (skin-cancer)). During his sickness he had no need for videochats or phonecalls, I took a long leave from my work and stayed with him.
Sincere condolences on the loss of your father, but once again you seem to be missing the point. Had I made the comments that you made, my mother would have been disappointed in me. This isn't about your parents or mine, except as a reminder that those responsible for our upbringing expect better of us.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #18 of 38
Just enough is more.

According to so many, Apple's technology "under delivers". Yet moments like these are made "easy", fluid, possible on Apple's products.

This galls critics (wall street and tech press) to no end. Perhaps that's because they don't pay close enough attention to what people are doing with iOS and OS X...they're just looking for the bright shinny object.
post #19 of 38
sennen:
don't waste your breath on the mauszes of the world. mausz probably already knows the points you're making, but decided to post such a comment anyway. Which is exactly the reason why people like FreeRange (and myself) explicitly thank Steve Jobs for his contributions through Apple. Because if technology were left to people who think like mausz, I'd bet mainstream computing would still be stuck in the uninspired, overbloated, frankenstein-model it was before Apple raised the bar.
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post


Sincere condolences on the loss of your father, but once again you seem to be missing the point. Had I made the comments that you made, my mother would have been disappointed in me. This isn't about your parents or mine, except as a reminder that those responsible for our upbringing expect better of us.

I understand your point and appreciate your reaction. I just don't agree.

 

I don't understand the "fanatic" approach to iDevices. I have an iPad, it works fine, happy with it, but that's it. If it were not available I would have used other tools, and would be as satisfied. Using a lumia 800 as my primary phone, works fine as well.

 

If I have offended 'Freerange', I apologize, but he/she did not respond. Others were offended because I criticized the, in my eyes, unnecessary addition of the 'SJ' sentence.

 

In this specific case I would have thanked all parties which have created cheap, international voice/network connections for us. Still remember when I had to drive 4 hours with one floppy disk to install updates, whereas I'm now rolling out updates using RDP on the other side of the world.

 

For the 'now voicechat is done right' reactions, I have no problems and excellent picture quality on almost all tools I use right now (especially on a 4" screen where bad video also looks sharper). Stil, for the only possibility to see my grandchildren I would even take a grainy picture over none....

post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post
 

Nobody is ever thanking others for the work they did, as if mobile networks, arm chips,lion technology, lcd screens etc. just suddenly appeared with the launch of the iphone. They should not be thanked because it was just technological progress, and so was the iPhone. Standing on the shoulders of others to achieve greater things.

 

And personal computers would still be circuit boards, a power adapter, and a screen hand-wired together by hobbyists if it weren't for people like Woz (and Jobs pushing him to make technology simpler).  So what's your point?

 

We all know that they didn't invent everything, but they've invented (and commercialized) a hell of a lot more technology than most companies today if you're looking at the history of personal computing devices in it's entirety.  So while I do get a chuckle out of seeing people thank Jobs (solely) for everything, I do believe that Apple is very deserving of the praise heaped upon them for what they have contributed.

 
Reply
 
Reply
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxio View Post
 

So while I do get a chuckle out of seeing people thank Jobs (solely) for everything, I do believe that Apple is very deserving of the praise heaped upon them for what they have contributed.

 

Next time I'll chuckle as well

post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Something seems slightly bad taste about using a story about a terminally ill patient as propoganda for Apple products.

Why not just write about the positive news that an ill person's morale was boosted by a good deed, rather than bang on about how wonderful Apple's tech is (which it is, but still...)?

I was thinking the same thing. The headline made me cringe a little.

post #24 of 38
Sad story.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #25 of 38
Classy move - way to bring a friend to the front of the show Trent.

Not many people get that kind of care.
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Because there was no video chat before facetime ?

He didn't say that, jeez, give the tech elite trolling a rest for once. What Apple did was make it super simple that grandma can use it. I remember the horrible mess that was Webcam + PC + Microsoft NetMeeting + firewall port mapping + whats your IP + frustration days of video chat vs it just magically works video chat.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #27 of 38
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post
Colon cancer may not be as "sexy" as breast cancer, but it kills you just as dead.
Grow a moustache and fund research!

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Thanks, but I should have known once the argument contains sickness or children any criticism is never welcome. Should just have focussed on the part 'Thank you SJ for bringing so much to so many!'.

Nobody is ever thanking others for the work they did, as if mobile networks, arm chips,lion technology, lcd screens etc. just suddenly appeared with the launch of the iphone. They should not be thanked because it was just technological progress, and so was the iPhone. Standing on the shoulders of others to achieve greater things.

Wow this got to be the most ignorant comment I have seen in ... Forever! So progress happen by itself? Like so many commenter here pull magic out of their backside - because they are "talking" about it instead of making anything.

Take 3 technology advance happen in recent years. Solar panel , flat press button and LCD. Can you guess they all come from the same source?

Go find out about the story behind it, those who literally gave up their life to make this 3 things happened. And then look in the mirror and ask yourself "did I just insult millions of people who create things that made my life easier."
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post
 

 

Thanks, but I should have known once the argument contains sickness or children any criticism is never welcome. Should just have focussed on the part 'Thank you SJ for bringing so much to so many!'.

 

Nobody is ever thanking others for the work they did, as if mobile networks, arm chips,lion technology, lcd screens etc. just suddenly appeared with the launch of the iphone. They should not be thanked because it was just technological progress, and so was the iPhone. Standing on the shoulders of others to achieve greater things.

 

This is an article about someone using a fucking iPhone 5S, and facetime. Should I be thanking every single fucking individual, and company, and has contributed to the technological progress in all the categories you mentioned to in this particular thread? Really?

 

What exactly it is you want, apart from desperately trying to find some justification for your trolling, and your attempts to shit up a thread that honestly I didn't think could be shit up? I choked up a bit reading the article, and wasn't planning on posting anything before reading your idiotic retorts. It's like when an individual is being congratulated for an achievement/award, there's always that guy that has hate/envy in his heart, so he resorts to "WHAT WHAT ABOUT ALL THESE OTHER PEOPLE THAT DID GOOD THINGS". You can resort to that ridiculous line of thinking when talking about every single achievement ever, in which case you'll never appreciate anything, ever, if everyone has to being up every positive thing anyone has ever done when complimenting something/someone. This story conveys what technology has made possible, yes, theoretically, they could have used some other hardware, software, and service, to potentially achieve something close to the same result- but so what? They chose to use an iPhone and FaceTime, maybe because it works best for them, as it does for hundreds of millions of others. Stop being such a dick. 

post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


I like the original, UK version better. Still, funny.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #31 of 38

Great article!

 

Before I clicked on this article I also expected some troll to say, "video chat existed before Apple." as if this was some advertising from Apple and yet again, I was right! lol

post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post
 

 

Next time I'll chuckle as well

You are a disgusting human being.

post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Because there was no video chat before facetime ?

 



i could never get my mom to get video chat working before facetime, she would forget to have skype open or forget her username and password, id normally have to text her to turn skype on and be ready, with facetime she needs no account and when i call her it just pops up like call, video chat is finally useful for the masses with facetime
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

 

This is an article about someone using a fucking iPhone 5S, and facetime. Should I be thanking every single fucking individual, and company, and has contributed to the technological progress in all the categories you mentioned to in this particular thread? Really?

 

This article should have been about the action of Trent and the story behind it.

 

Not about the used 5S or facetime, and certainly not with the last two paragraphs of this article which make the action into an Apple advertisement.

 

I get some pretty serious things thrown at me, but everyone finds it completely normal that a sad story is used for the promotion of apple technology.

 

"Apple has presented FaceTime in a series of emotionally touching ads that focus on the value of face-to-face communication"...

 

Those ads were actors, using an actual story for an ad (by AI not by Apple) disturbs me... And as a side note, for me facetime or any video chat will never replace real physical face-to-face communcation,


Edited by mausz - 11/21/13 at 11:35am
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

Samsung marketing take note!! You're bribing the wrong people!!

 

The chances that Trent Reznor was paid by Apple to do this are slim to none.

post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

 

The chances that Trent Reznor was paid by Apple to do this are slim to none.

Highly unlikely. Would be bad PR and something Samesung would do....lol.

post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post
 

 

This article should have been about the action of Trent and the story behind it.

 

Not about the used 5S or facetime, and certainly not with the last two paragraphs of this article which make the action into an Apple advertisement.

 

I get some pretty serious things thrown at me, but everyone finds it completely normal that a sad story is used for the promotion of apple technology.

 

"Apple has presented FaceTime in a series of emotionally touching ads that focus on the value of face-to-face communication"...

 

Those ads were actors, using an actual story for an ad (by AI not by Apple) disturbs me... And as a side note, for me facetime or any video chat will never replace real physical face-to-face communcation,

 

Blah, blah, blah....Face Time is a great feature available to iOS users and only downside is that ugly people dont use it or rarely do but the fact that you can use it to see people far away is awesome. It works well and yeah face to face is always better just like real sex is better than porn but doesn't make porn any less useful. lol

post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausz View Post
 

Using a lumia 800 as my primary phone, works fine as well.

 

For the 'now voicechat is done right' reactions, I have no problems and excellent picture quality on almost all tools I use right now (especially on a 4" screen where bad video also looks sharper). Stil, for the only possibility to see my grandchildren I would even take a grainy picture over none....

 

480x800 is not the same as an iPad or iPhone screen, which due to the higher resolution are "sharper".

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Nine Inch Nails rocker Trent Reznor pulls out iPhone 5s on stage to FaceTime with dying friend
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nine Inch Nails rocker Trent Reznor pulls out iPhone 5s on stage to FaceTime with dying friend