or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Retina iPad mini rollout expands with walk-in sales at some Apple Stores, regional carrier availability [u]

Retina iPad mini rollout expands with walk-in sales at some Apple Stores, regional carrier...

post #1 of 24
Empire State customers can now purchase a Retina iPad mini at select New York City Apple retail stores without securing the tablet online in advance, while regional carrier partners like Bluegrass Cellular are beginning to announce availability, possibly signaling the start of a more expansive rollout.

iPad mini

Update: The Retina iPad mini rollout continues to spread throughout the day. Apple retail stores outside of New York City have begun to receive stock for walk-in purchase, according to an investor update from Cantor Fitzgerald, and midwestern regional carrier U.S. Cellular has announced immediate availability of the tablet.

Apple's Upper West Side, Chelsea, and flagship Fifth Avenue stores are the first to make the high-resolution 7.9-inch tablet available for unreserved purchase, according to a Friday morning note to investors from erstwhile Apple watcher Brian J. White of financial services firm Cantor Fitzgerald. No other Apple retail outlets in or out of New York City were found to have similar availability.

White had previously predicted a wider walk-in launch for the tablets as early as this week, and the analyst now believes Apple will make that move some time next week in preparation for the busy post-Thanksgiving Black Friday shopping event.

The Retina display-equipped iPad mini has also begun to make its way to Apple's regional carrier partners in the United States. Kentucky-based Bluegrass Cellular announced immediate availability of the tablet earlier Friday, while previous announcements from C-Spire Wireless and U.S. Cellular indicate stock should arrive before the end of November.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company's "clandestine" sales rollout for the Retina iPad mini, with an unannounced midnight launch and reservation-only in-store availability, is thought to have been designed in response to severely constrained supply of the popular slate.

Apple CEO Tim Cook had previously said it was "unclear" whether the company would have enough stock for the holiday season. Many Apple observers credit the supply pinch to low yield rates for the iPad mini's Retina display from partners Sharp and LG.
post #2 of 24
At this point... does anyone really care?
post #3 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockarollr View Post

At this point... does anyone really care?

Christmas and other holidays are right around the corner. They make awesome stocking stuffers!

post #4 of 24
Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post
They make awesome stocking stuffers!

Good luck getting one of those to fit in a stocking.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #5 of 24
Quote:

Christmas and other holidays are right around the corner. They make awesome stocking stuffers!

An iPad Mini W/Retina Display a stocking stuffer?  I always thought the stuff you put in stockings for Christmas was the little cheap gifts and candy, you know, things like a pack of gum.

post #6 of 24
Slate???!!!

That's a Ballmer/Microsoft word, damn it! Using a term like that is why Microsoft never "got" the platform.

Just imagine Steve Jobs using that word. He would spit it out in contempt to refer to a Windows slab.

That's what the word evokes—a cold, inert slab, the opposite of the iPad. (For the record, this the first time I've done the what-would-Steve-do thing.)
post #7 of 24

This kind of nonsense "news" makes me wonder: is coming from Appleinsider.com writer or straight from PR department at Apple Inc.? Two days after "sudden" iPad mini release, i went to local San Diego Best Buy and was surprised by available for purchase iPad minis with Retina display  and the absence of hungry buyers. Am i living on different planet? 

post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

An iPad Mini W/Retina Display a stocking stuffer?  I always thought the stuff you put in stockings for Christmas was the little cheap gifts and candy, you know, things like a pack of gum.

Hey I'm an (ETA: Apple) investor: encouraging people to stuff stockings with them makes sense to me and I long ago learned what's "cheap" to one doesn't have to mean cheap to everyone….

Edited by jfc1138 - 11/22/13 at 12:16pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by inchuchacia View Post

This kind of nonsense "news" makes me wonder: is coming from Appleinsider.com writer or straight from PR department at Apple Inc.? Two days after "sudden" iPad mini release, i went to local San Diego Best Buy and was surprised by available for purchase iPad minis with Retina display  and the absence of hungry buyers. Am i living on different planet? 

I was just in SD a few days ago - still no luck in getting Retina Mini, ATT, 128GB - even now apple utility can't fined me one. I have been checking regularly. Good news the one I ordered is being delivered Monday.

Still seems the good versions are hard to find

post #10 of 24
Quote:

Hey I'm an investor: encouraging people to stuff stockings with them makes sense to me and I long ago learned what's "cheap" to one doesn't have to mean cheap to everyone….

Well, I'm not stuffing anyone's stocking with a iPad Mini w/Retina display,    I don't have that kind of money.  I'm lucky if I can buy one for myself.

post #11 of 24
Quote:

Yes. Every single store on the planet will have the exact amount of stock of the exact product at the exact time.  If this is not happening then you are living on a different planet.  Please buy a Nexus7 and report to us in a week.

post #12 of 24
Paradoxically, as the word spreads of available walk-in purchase, it will become increasingly difficult to do.
post #13 of 24
Still tempted to return my iPad Air for this...but I'm not sure why, as I use my iPad primarily at home and enjoy the screen size. Maybe I'll tell the missus I need both :-)
post #14 of 24
Quote:

No but given "The Cupertino, Calif.-based company's "clandestine" sales rollout for the Retina iPad mini,…. reservation-only in-store availability," I'd expect those iPads in Best Buy (haven't they closed down for bankruptcy year?) were standard mini's. or some crumbs from the additional delivery noted in other places:

"So constrained, in fact, that Apple is limiting its availability to its online store and through "Personal Pickup," its system that enables you to buy products through the Apple Store app or through the web site and arrange to pick it up at your local Apple retail store. Some product has also been diverted to the major US wireless carriers as well, so your local Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile stores may get a small inventory."

In which case why would anyone interested in the product go where it's unlikely to be so you're "absence" is simple reasoning by consumers.

post #15 of 24
Quote:

User Posts: 1

Response:  Ignore

post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

JUst think "outside the box"*: the device itself will fit one of those decorative stockings quite nicely.

* See what I did there?

post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Still tempted to return my iPad Air for this...but I'm not sure why, as I use my iPad primarily at home and enjoy the screen size. Maybe I'll tell the missus I need both :-)

I think that I'm going to need both, too! :)

post #18 of 24
[image]

I don’t know what you think your point is, but it isn’t. Stock changes; that’s why it’s stock.

post #19 of 24
Waiting to see the huge discounts that Black Friday should bring at Apple this year.

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

Paradoxically, as the word spreads of available walk-in purchase, it will become increasingly difficult to do.

But the foot traffic increases....   You can't sell something in the store if someone doesn't walk in the store.

That's the game plan folks.   Someone buys a MiniRD and tells 2 friends who tell 2 more friends... pretty soon, a whole bunch of iPad Airs and MacBook Airs are being bought on impulse at the retail store, along with a $50 iTunes Gift Card, and oh... lemmee look at that gold phone....

I'm sure the intent is that Apple's Retail Mavens want to make sure that people DON'T WALK PAST THE APPLE STORE the next 5 weeks just because the only thing on their mind is an Mini/RD.

post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No problem here...

My Mom knitted a set of very stretchy socks for all her kids, and her grandkids.   It would fit... box and all.

That, plus me being the oldest in the family I got the biggest sock... it just looked good on the cardboard Xmax mantle going from oldest to youngest;-))

post #22 of 24
Quote:

Your personal confirmation bias is so interesting. Please tell us more. /s

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #23 of 24

post #24 of 24
I received my iPad Mini Retina, 128G, AT&T Cellular, Slate Gray on Nov. 20. Received 5 days early.
Ordered on Nov. 12.

It is everything the reviews say and more!

Thank You Apple!

Alan
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Retina iPad mini rollout expands with walk-in sales at some Apple Stores, regional carrier availability [u]
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Retina iPad mini rollout expands with walk-in sales at some Apple Stores, regional carrier availability [u]