or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tim Cook vetoes Apple Retail plan to open additional stores on Thanksgiving, gives workers holiday off

Tim Cook vetoes Apple Retail plan to open additional stores on Thanksgiving, gives workers...

post #1 of 71
Last week, over the objections of Retail Market Directors, Apple's chief executive Tim Cook canceled plans to open several stores on Thanksgiving, citing the importance of allowing retail employees to be with their families over the holiday.

Fifth Avenue Apple Store

The U.S. Thanksgiving holiday always falls on the fourth Thursday of November, and has traditionally held back holiday Christmas shopping until "Black Friday" sales the next day. A variety of retailers, including Kmart, Macys, Sears, Target Toys R Us and WalMart, have recently made plans to open on Thanksgiving in order to capitalize on holiday crowds.

Last year, only three Apple Stores heavily trafficked by tourists opened on Thanksgiving: locations on the Las Vegas Strip, Waikiki Beach in Hawaii and the company's 24/7 Fifth Avenue store in New York City.

A series of other flagship Apple Retail stores were also planned to open on Thanksgiving this year, including select additional locations in San Francisco, New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Honolulu, Miami, San Diego and Portland.

An expansion of store openings this year was reportedly lobbied by retail Marketing Directors who argued "the company was missing out on substantial holiday sales," according to a posting by IFOAppleStore.

"Market Directors were reportedly motivated by large potential holiday-quarter bonuses based on performance targets, adding to their $400,000 salaries. The last calendar quarter at Apple retail is always the busiest and generates the most revenue, leading to the largest bonuses," the site noted."I'd also like to thank Apple's many talented employees who have worked tirelessly to bring us this far and who are passionately focused on making great products that enrich people's lives" - Tim Cook

While some attempts were being made to account for the extra holiday hours by providing workers alternative time off, Cook acted to cancel the plans "over the objections of Market Directors," and keep those stores closed over Thanksgiving so that employees could spend the holidays with their families.

Apple joins other retailers, including Costco and Nordstrom, who have preferred to give employees the holiday off rather than seeking to cash in on early crowds.

Retail Stores are an increasingly significant part of Apple's business, but the company makes the majority of its money from hardware sales, most of which are sold by other retailers, including those who are keeping their stores open on Thanksgiving.

Cook can't be too concerned about Apple's sales during the holiday quarter, having already envisioned the coming of "an iPad Christmas" during the company's most recent earnings conference call. And despite earning more than any other consumer electronics company, Cook paired that comment with the importance of also acting as "a force for good in the world."

Cook also specifically credited Apple's employees for their "tireless" work in his concluding remarks, stating, "I'd like to thank all of our customers and our long term shareholders for their loyalty, and I'd also like to thank Apple's many talented employees who have worked tirelessly to bring us this far and who are passionately focused on making great products that enrich people's lives."
post #2 of 71

“Apple would just lose money by opening on Thanksgiving because no one wants their products, like how your local grocery store closes at 8 instead of midnight; can’t justify it with the amount of foot traffic.”

“Apple’s supply shortage is so great they don’t even have any stock to sell on Thanksgiving.”

“Steve Jobs would never have closed on Thanksgiving.”

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #3 of 71
Guess Black Friday came early this week...for Samsung.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #4 of 71

Everyday is Thanks Giving for Apple :lol:

Stock story is all together different ball game!

post #5 of 71
Good guy Tim cook.
post #6 of 71

Excellent move Tim!  Thanksgiving should be a day to be with family, not being bombarded with shopping deals and whatnot.

Those marketing executives that want the stores open should have to man the stores themselves.

post #7 of 71
Tim is a class act.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #8 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“Apple would just lose money by opening on Thanksgiving because no one wants their products, like how your local grocery store closes at 8 instead of midnight; can’t justify it with the amount of foot traffic.”
“Apple’s supply shortage is so great they don’t even have any stock to sell on Thanksgiving.”

LOL!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #9 of 71
I'm sure that the Apple store employees will enjoy their Thanksgiving day off by going shopping at stores where the employees are working their butts off on Thanksgiving Day...

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #10 of 71
Not like Apple gives out huge discounts..
post #11 of 71
Quick note...Thanksgiving is always the fourth Thursday of November
post #12 of 71
The guys in marketing need to think about more that money. If someone's really interested in an Apple product, they'll wait a day or two.

One major difference between Steve Jobs and Tim Cook is that the latter seems to have more of a heart. I suspect he doesn't throw yelling, screaming and cursing fits either.

I graduated from Auburn University in electrical engineering a few years before Tim Cook graduated from there in industrial engineering. I'm now back in Auburn, since it's a near-perfect place for an independent writer to live.

In 2010, Time Cook gave the spring commencement address at Auburn. Those who'd like to watch it can find it on YouTube at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEAXuHvzjao

--Michael W. Perry, My Nights with Leukemia: Caring for Children with Cancer
post #13 of 71

Way to go Tim Cook!  I'm happy that he realizes the importance of family.

I'll bet that those same whining market directors that are making the $400K salaries do not work on Thanksgiving.

Besides, I would think the real selling time would be the day after Thanksgiving and the weekend.

post #14 of 71
Presumably Apple Stores have previously been open on Thanksgivings?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #15 of 71
Let me get this straight.

The guy "vetoes plans to open additional stores". He says nothing about closing stores that were already planned to be open, and you're all congratulating him on what a nice guy he is for not screwing up everyone's thanksgiving?

If ever there was a non-story to be read, here it was. Right here.
post #16 of 71
Quote:

What a tyrant.  How dare he lower even further Apple's low paid employees' wages by denying them the right to work more hours!!!!  On a freakin' Holiday no less!!!

On a more serious note, well done Tim, and Happy Thanksgiving AI peeps.

post #17 of 71
Quote:

"Tim Cook denies holiday hours to thousands of eager Apple Store employees."

post #18 of 71

Were the Geniuses given something else to think about, or will they be in limbo for a while?

post #19 of 71
Nice 1smile.gif
post #20 of 71
I call BS on this. Apple historically has been closed on this holiday for most of it's stores. The Market leaders use this news to spin to the retail employees that they are considerate and care about their time with their families. When Steve was alive, he did the same thing. You had the day off. Last year, some market leaders were under pressure from outside sources like Malls that were trying to get Apple to stay open like other tenants. Some of them were trying to use the lease agreement to try to persuade Apple to open, when other tenants were already open, and if they did not, they would be in violation of the lease. Apple's response to those companies was that they would remain closed and if they have a problem with it to take it up with Apple legal.
post #21 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Guess Black Friday came early this week...for Samsung.

You mean Red Friday, because a jury handed their ass to them....... again.

post #22 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Were the Geniuses given something else to think about, or will they be in limbo for a while?

Yes, they were given a not so nice picture of droves of new Apple product owners needing help, clogging the stores from Dec 26 to who knows when.

post #23 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippy View Post

The guy "vetoes plans to open additional stores". He says nothing about closing stores that were already planned to be open, and you're all sucking his dick and congratulating him on what a nice guy he is for not screwing up everyone's thanksgiving?

Like your post, you mean¿
post #24 of 71
Although others here often say Apple is just another soul-less corporation, I have always disagreed. This is a good example of corporate soul. Money is important, but other things matter too. Makes me feel that my Apple fanboyism isn't totally unwarranted.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #25 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Tim is a class act.

Indeed he is. Bravo Tim.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #26 of 71
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

LOL!

We laugh at this and rightly so. But this constant drone of lies and more lies has an effect over time. I’ve been listening to more and more uninformed, parroted nonsense from otherwise normal people about Apple being in trouble. Just one example was from a retired engineer I know who matter-of-factly said, “The iPhone 5c can’t be put in your pocket because it will warp. It’s made out of plastic, you know.”  Now where did he get that idea if not from some stupid troll or article on the Internet? A young student I know has been so indoctrinated by her father that she thinks Samsung is the be-all end-all of everything and that Apple is, well, the spawn of Satan.

What’s worse, when Apple attempts to defend itself from this onslaught they are accused of being scared of the competition, overreacting. The prime example was Phil Schiller’s “can’t innovate, my ass!” outburst. he was vilified and mocked for it.

post #27 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippy View Post

The guy "vetoes plans to open additional stores". He says nothing about closing stores that were already planned to be open, and you're all sucking his dick and congratulating him on what a nice guy he is for not screwing up everyone's thanksgiving?

Maybe I got this wrong, but my understanding from this and another story is that now all US Apple Retail Stores WILL be closed.

All WERE previously planned to be closed on Thanksgiving Day, yet some managers balked, wanted NOT to be closed, and planned to remain open. Tim vetoed that position (ostensibly losing money for the company) and stated that, yes, they all WOULD be closed.

Story: All US Apple Retail stores will be closed on Thanksgiving Day, potentially losing money, but relieving employees of needing to work on a family-oriented holiday.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #28 of 71

I imagine Apple will still make tons of money through the online Apple Store. The refreshed iOS Apple Store app will make it even easier and more enjoyable for shoppers to part with their money between overstuffed plates of meats and treats.

Gobble, gobble, y'awlll!

post #29 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

Maybe I got this wrong, but my understanding from this and another story is that now all US Apple Retail Stores WILL be closed.

All WERE previously planned to be closed on Thanksgiving Day, yet some managers balked, wanted NOT to be closed, and planned to remain open. Tim vetoed that position (ostensibly losing money for the company) and stated that, yes, they all WOULD be closed.

Story: All US Apple Retail stores will be closed on Thanksgiving Day, potentially losing money, but relieving employees of needing to work on a family-oriented holiday.

I doubt they will lose money. Apple is open for Black Friday and every day until Christmas.
post #30 of 71
Originally Posted by trippy
[all posts]

Shut up and go away.

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Just one example was from a retired engineer I know who matter-of-factly said, “The iPhone 5c can’t be put in your pocket because it will warp. It’s made out of plastic, you know.”

Was he Bob Mansfield retired or was he Steve Ballmer retired? That’s an important distinction.

post #31 of 71
Thanks Tim! Nice to she Leadership at its best. A rare commodity these days actuall thinking about your employees how refreshing.
post #32 of 71
Tim Cook doesn't have the killer instinct.

I heard that Samsung is making the thirteen employees that work at their four stores work during Thanksgiving.
post #33 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I heard that Samsung is making the thirteen employees that work at their four stores work during Thanksgiving.
Heathen scum! /s/
post #34 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

What?

The shop's shutting for a day. They'll get over it!

post #35 of 71
If you want to shop at an Apple store on Thanksgiving ... go to France, dudes!
post #36 of 71
Tim understands public relations very well.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #37 of 71

Treating your employees like human beings?

Good idea. :P

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

post #38 of 71
Quote:

"Ultraliberal Apple CEO leads War On Thanksgiving."

post #39 of 71

The fact that the Retail Market Directors objected to this is scary because they are putting profit first and what's right second. Apple is losing its DNA. 

post #40 of 71

If this story is to be believed, it sounds like a bunch of retail marketing directors were ready to screw over their store personnel to cash in for themselves, which deserves some swift whacks upside their heads. Funny thing about would-be prima donnas and Apple; perhaps they don't "get it," just like John Browett didn't get it. And maybe Scott Forstall as well. Tim Cook knows how to respect Apple's customers, and likewise, he doesn't want Apple to gain a reputation for treating its employees like they work for WalMart.

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tim Cook vetoes Apple Retail plan to open additional stores on Thanksgiving, gives workers holiday off