or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › jragosta (Joseph Michael Ragosta)

jragosta (Joseph Michael Ragosta)

post #1 of 76
Many of us spend a great deal of time perusing the comments of mostly anonymous strangers from around the world and from all different walks-of-life based on a (single) common interest. Over time we get to know each other as more than just an alias and an avatar.

We pick up on each other's writing styles, personal interests, and can usually gauge with a fair amount of accuracy how the other will likely respond to certain topics before they weigh in.

We tend to do all this without ever knowing anything about their corporeal self. Despite this limited view of the complete person we get to experience a very pure form of the person's thoughts without certain societal biases or soma being a factor.

I didn't always agree with jragosta but he did make this forum a better place in which to build upon, reinforce, or completely reject preconceived notions about the direction of technology.

This is what a good debater brings to a forum and jragosta — along with many others here I respect — have taught me a great deal over the past 6 years. Not just about Apple, or consumer electronics, or technology, but also about many other tangential topics that oft transpired; as well as teaching me to parley more effectively with frequent, and sometimes heated, discussions.

Thank you, jragosta, your presence will be missed.

Edited by SolipsismX - 11/30/13 at 6:47am

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #2 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I didn't always agree with jragosta but he did make this forum a better place in which to build upon, reinforce, or completely reject preconceived notions about the direction of technology. This what a good debate does and he — along with many others here I respect — taught me a great deal over the past 6 years. Not just about Apple or consumer electronics or technology but also about many other tangential topics that oft transpired, as well helping me learn to parlay more effectively with frequent and sometimes heated discussions.

Many of us spend a great deal of time perusing the comments of mostly anonymous strangers from around the world and from all different walks-of-life based on a (single) common interest. Over time we get to know each other as more than just an alias and avatar. We pick up on each other's writing styles, our specific interests, and can usually gauge with a fair amount of accuracy how the other will likely respond to certain events simply from what they've previous written. We tend to do all this without ever knowing anything about their corporeal self. Despite this limited view of the complete person we get a very pure form of the person's thoughts without certain societal issues or soma being a factor of whom we agree or disagree.

Thank you, jragosta, your presence will be missed.

Hear, hear.

I too had my differences, but I raise a toast to JMR.
post #3 of 76

Godspeed jragosta.   Many of us knew you well and while you were strong in your convictions you were as fair as a person ought to be.   I'm saddened that he was recalled far too soon.   My blessings go to the Ragosta family. 

He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #4 of 76
I was wondering what happened to him, I noticed the posts just stopped all of a sudden. He posted right up until the day he died. Replying to Ireland of all people, what a terrible way to go. Hopefully not the cause. 1wink.gif

How did you happen to come across this obituary? You're not trawling through them regularly after placing bets on who goes next I hope.
post #5 of 76

Thanks for posting. I suspect that quite a few forum members had noticed his absence, and while that's very sad news, it's better to know than to wonder what happened. He was never afraid to make an argument, and always willing to engage. And, apparently, doing good work in real life.

We should all be grateful for the time that we have.

post #6 of 76
Solipsism. Beautifully written, thank you.

Muppetry, thanks for informing us on this sad news. I'd like to simply copy paste something from the PM you initiated:

Strange how one can feel, well, feel, can't find a right word for it, that someone here died. Never met him, don't know anything about him. Yet, you feel something. Strange.

Would like to think Relic will make it, but as I understand it she won't. And that will 'hit' me more as she shared so much of herself. I've never had 'this kind of contact' with people over the Internet, AI being 'my first'. It's nice. Except for when people die. Such is life. Yet, you'll pause at what you're doing on any given day.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #7 of 76
Sad news, indeed.

Did you know him personally, Soli? I daresay I'd be much harder to find in an obituary.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #8 of 76
I was informed by both PhilBoogie and anantksundram via various forms of private messaging. Between the two messages there was info about Gatorguy being friends with jragosta's uncle and a link to the obituary which I think originated from mupperty.

post #9 of 76
Quote:

I was informed by both PhilBoogie and anantksundram via various forms of private messaging. Between the two messages there was info about Gatorguy being friends with jragosta's uncle and a link to the obituary which I think originated from mupperty.

Not friends with his uncle so much as he and his wife were once customers of mine. He's quite old now and his wife passed several years ago. The world can really be a tiny place. I never would have made the connection if not for Phil and Muppetry messaging me.
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #10 of 76
I echo of the chorus of people who didn't know him personally but send my condolences to his friends and family.
post #11 of 76
Does anyone know how he passed?

post #12 of 76

I was surprised myself that the obituary didn’t say. “Died at home”… perhaps heart attack or cancer? Young for a stroke, sure, but my sister had one at 13.

post #13 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I was surprised myself that the obituary didn’t say. “Died at home”… perhaps heart attack or cancer? Young for a stroke, sure, but my sister had one at 13.

I didn't see any details anywhere, but it does seem like it may have been rather sudden (he was posting to the forum that day as usual) and, from the obituary, probably medical rather than trauma.

post #14 of 76

Rest in Peace jragosta.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #15 of 76
RIP, old dude. You had fire in you till the end.
post #16 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

RIP, old dude. You had fire in you till the end.

Wouldn't want to call him old, at 55.
post #17 of 76

Damn! I'm going to miss arguing with that guy!

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #18 of 76

Sorry to hear of this loss to our community. Fare thee well jragosta.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #19 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Solipsism. Beautifully written, thank you.

Muppetry, thanks for informing us on this sad news. I'd like to simply copy paste something from the PM you initiated:

Strange how one can feel, well, feel, can't find a right word for it, that someone here died. Never met him, don't know anything about him. Yet, you feel something. Strange.

Would like to think Relic will make it, but as I understand it she won't. And that will 'hit' me more as she shared so much of herself. I've never had 'this kind of contact' with people over the Internet, AI being 'my first'. It's nice. Except for when people die. Such is life. Yet, you'll pause at what you're doing on any given day.

Second this, and thanks to everyone who posted here about jragosta. I.always read his posts because I expected them to be serious contributions, and they usually were.

I quoted or referred to his posts several times, don't recall ever arguing with him. Once he said he owned and liked a Buick Enclave, a car I find very strange. Now every time I see one, I think of him. I guess it'll be that way from now on. He will be missed.
post #20 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Damn! I'm going to miss arguing with that guy!

And so I'm I. He didn't make for a interesting day. RIP jragosta.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #21 of 76
Sad to see him go. I used to argue a bunch with him, then I realized he was always right- so I stopped. Great contributor- my heart goes out to his family and friends.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #22 of 76

I wondered what happened to him:(.

post #23 of 76
Never met him.

Never saw him.

Never knew him.

Will miss him greatly.
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
Pot is legal in North Korea.
That explains a considerable amount.

"The United States will respond proportionally at a place and time we choose..."
post #24 of 76

RIP JMR. Nice words Sol.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

post #25 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Never met him.

Never saw him.

Never knew him.

Will miss him greatly.

Indeed.
post #26 of 76
Very unfortunately. I only just saw Solipsism's signature. I will miss his posts dearly. Difficult to lose one of our own.
post #27 of 76
Sorry to be late to this and add my sadness at his passing. I too had wondered where jragost had gone.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #28 of 76

Only just found out. Rest In Peace JRagosta. My condolences to your family, & friends of course. :( 

post #29 of 76
Wow, that's too bad. Just saw this myself. Interesting what a small world it is. Looks like he was from not far from my hometown in PA. We even both graduated from Penn State, though he was several years before me.
post #30 of 76
RIP JR. I loved your insights into the various legal proceedings Apple was involved in.

I was wondering why you stopped posting. I was hoping you'd come back as jragostaX. Alas, sad that will not be the case.

"Nobody knows where you are... how near or how far... shine on you crazy diamond".
post #31 of 76

Jeez.  I'm sorry it took so long to respond to this horrible event.

This makes me very sad, as I too very much looked forward to his contributions.  It's a real shame when someone leaves us at his age.  As much of a loss as he will be to this forum and to all of our experience here, I feel for his family and friends.

Best travels, man.  

post #32 of 76

Oh no...

Just saw SolipsismX's sig.  My most heartfelt condolences to his family.

I haven't felt the sting of a jragosta retort in a long time, but that's mostly because as long as there was the slightest chance I was still one of the fools he didn't suffer gladly I wasn't taking a chance.  Andysol said it best.  "I used to argue a bunch with him, then I realized he was always right- so I stopped."  Sometimes I would be so riled up by him that I would spend hours researching my response.  Always in vain.  Yet I also had a huge amount of respect for him, both for his knowledge and for the way he presented that knowledge, and also for his extremely sensitive BS monitor, which if mine goes off when the needle hits 50, his went off at 5.  And I could at heart never fully disagree with him, even when he was skewering me.

Rest In Peace, Joe.  I learned a lot from you.

post #33 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Sometimes I would be so riled up by him that I would spend hours researching my response.

It's getting well researched answers and forcing us to research more that makes this a great community. I am considerably more accurate, thorough and objectively in all parts of my life because of my involvement with this community.
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/9/13 at 2:33pm

post #34 of 76
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Sometimes I would be so riled up by him that I would spend hours researching my response.

It's getting well researched answers and forcing me to research that makes this a great community. I am considerably more accurate, throughout and objectively in all parts of my life because of my involvement with this community.

I'll second that. As well as benefiting from the extensive wisdom of other posters, I can't count the number of times I've improved my knowledge and understanding by taking the time to research a subject under discussion here.

post #35 of 76
Quote:

It's getting well researched answers and forcing us to research more that makes this a great community. I am considerably more accurate, thorough and objectively in all parts of my life because of my involvement with this community.

Like many others, I was unaware of jragosta's passing until seeing SolipsismX's link. Thank you for that link. Add me to the many whose critical thinking was challenged and enhanced by his demanding responses. Joe kept us on our toes. Farewell ...

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #36 of 76

Just noticed this now. 

Sad to hear about his passing. I appreciated his knowledge and enthusiasm. 

Blessings to him, in the next life, and to his family. 

post #37 of 76

Very sad news.

I've been acquainted with Joe since the early 90s and corresponded with him back in those early days of Mac advocacy. 

One of Joe's early victories was his thorough (and well publicized) discrediting of the Software Publishers Association's (SPA) bogus sales analyses of Mac software. You can read about it here:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/A+new+debate+over+Mac+market+trends.-a019520459

RIP, Joe…

post #38 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.ballmer View Post

Very sad news.

I've been acquainted with Joe since the early 90s and corresponded with him back in those early days of Mac advocacy. 

One of Joe's early victories was his thorough (and well publicized) discrediting of the Software Publishers Association's (SPA) bogus sales analyses of Mac software. You can read about it here:

RIP, Joe…

Wow, small world.

I'd really like to read this article, sadly it's a 404...
post #39 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.ballmer View Post

Very sad news.

RIP, Joe…

Wow, small world.

I'd really like to read this article, sadly it's a 404...

Loads fine for me.
post #40 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Loads fine for me.

Weird. I even Cmd-C Cmd-V into FF, no dice. Checking these URL's nowadays are difficult to read, used to be so much easier in the good old days to simply 'repair' them yourself.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › jragosta (Joseph Michael Ragosta)