or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › jragosta (Joseph Michael Ragosta)

jragosta (Joseph Michael Ragosta) - Page 2

post #41 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Loads fine for me.

Weird. I even Cmd-C Cmd-V into FF, no dice. Checking these URL's nowadays are difficult to read, used to be so much easier in the good old days to simply 'repair' them yourself.

Very strange. Works for me on my iPad, and in Safari and Chrome on the Mac.
post #42 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Very strange. Works for me on my iPad, and in Safari and Chrome on the Mac.

Thanks for tipping: works on my iPad. So I went back to the desktop: now see the URL is:
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/A+new+debate+over+Mac+market+trends.-a019520459
before I got:
http :// www . thefreelibrary.com /A+new+debate+over+Mac+market+trends-a019520459?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

sendgrid.com is some 'email link provider'

Perhaps I clicked to fast after s.ballmer posted? Whatever, now reading his article. Thanks!
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #43 of 76

RIP JRagosta.  Have peaceful stay with Almighty.  

God Bless your family.

post #44 of 76

I just became aware of this.  We all spend so much time within our own circle, we occasionally fail to see what is going on around us.

Jragosta always added a lively debate.  I too noticed his absence, but I figured he was taken some time off from AI drama.

I'll miss his opinions.  They always gave me a chuckle.  He was a good, passionate soul.

post #45 of 76

I just saw this post.

While I don't post as often as I'd like to, I appreciate the discussion that takes place on AI. We get the occasional troll but for the most part it is a strong community. That's why it has been around so long. Joe was a part of that community. Whether it is here on AI or in the "real" world, we human beings don't always agree with each other but through informed discussion we can find common ground. Joe was one of those folks that strived for informed discussion.

He will be missed.

post #46 of 76

SolipsismX, just noticed this now myself. I was wondering what happened to him and sadly now I know. Loved reading his posts here and will miss him greatly.

post #47 of 76

Never met him either, but I know he was one of the most active members of these forums - especially considering that I will be disconnecting from MacRumors soon (thus making this my new Mac-related community of choice), it's sad to see him go so soon.

May he rest tranquil in the hands of the true God.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

iMac Intel 27" Core i7 3.4, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HD + 4TB RAID 1+0, Nuforce Icon HDP, OS X 10.10.1; iPad Air 64GB; iPhone 5 32GB; iPod Classic; iPod Nano 4G; Apple TV 2.

post #48 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Never met him either, but I know he was one of the most active members of these forums - especially considering that I will be disconnecting from MacRumors soon (thus making this my new Mac-related community of choice), it's sad to see him go so soon.

May he rest tranquil in the hands of the true God.

If I may ask, why are you leaving MR?
post #49 of 76
Quote:

If I may ask, why are you leaving MR?

Am just tired of their ridiculously childish and "holier than thou" moderation standards - nowadays everything is "trolling" and subject to 30-day suspensions.

I am not a stupid kid to accept this kind of BS everytime someone disagrees with my opinion or can't stand ironic remarks; nor do I have the time to keep arguing against that...so good riddance to them.

post #50 of 76
Quote:

^ post

That's what I thought it would've been. Thanks for confirming that. Sad though; they could've made it a great site to discuss tech, have a few laughs while they're at it, yet they've turned into...this. Oh well, some of that is also going around here, but trolls are usually quickly 'denied further trashing' around here.
post #51 of 76
Quote:

That's what I thought it would've been. Thanks for confirming that. Sad though; they could've made it a great site to discuss tech, have a few laughs while they're at it, yet they've turned into...this. Oh well, some of that is also going around here, but trolls are usually quickly 'denied further trashing' around here.

MR is indeed a good source of technical discussions and troubleshooting - I just don't need to be a member anymore (even though I've regularly contributed my knowledge and time to it since 2005). Hopefully the same stupid moderation approach is not replicated here...sometimes I suspect this is related to the average US "puritanical" mindset (not all people, of course); everything has to be curated, filtered, self-censored; and if one complains about someone else, that someone else is punished without even room for appeal or discussion - while hypocrisy is kept hidden under the carpet.  

Edited by brlawyer - 1/4/14 at 1:27pm

post #52 of 76
Quote:

^ post

1) You won't see that here.

2) "puritanical" mindset. I like that. Had to look it up though

post #53 of 76
Quote:

1) You won't see that here.

2) "puritanical" mindset. I like that. Had to look it up though

More specifically I mean the plethora of vague and overly limiting rules that they have imposed upon themselves over time (i.e., anything can be interpreted as "trolling" when you disagree with one or many in a thread) - and when you want to discuss them with a moderator, of course all others gang up on you in order to stifle any such "revolutionary" initiatives. If this sounds amazingly stupid, it's because it is. 

post #54 of 76
Quote:

More specifically I mean the plethora of vague and overly limiting rules that they have imposed upon themselves over time (i.e., anything can be interpreted as "trolling" when you disagree with one or many in a thread) - and when you want to discuss them with a moderator, of course all others gang up on you in order to stifle any such "revolutionary" initiatives. If this sounds amazingly stupid, it's because it is. 

That's terrible. I never went to that site after I found this one, but sometimes a link points me over there. I skim... and run away fast as there's a lot of, well, stupidness going on over there. We have our fair share over here as well, but on a different level. And many posters who make reason out of crap posts, that makes this site valuable (along with the technical info et cetera).
post #55 of 76

Am just tired of their ridiculously childish and "holier than thou" moderation standards - nowadays everything is "trolling" and subject to 30-day suspensions.

Go out with a bang.

post #56 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Go out with a bang.

It's CES week. Perhaps we should all sign up at MR and flooding their site with actual information that is useful, which on MR is known as trolling.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #57 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's CES week. Perhaps we should all sign up at MR and flooding their site with actual information that is useful, which on MR is known as trolling.

Hehe. 'De-troll trolling'
post #58 of 76

RIP...see ya in the next forum.

post #59 of 76

Damn, only just seen this thread. :(

An intelligent and passionate poster who will be sadly missed.

post #60 of 76

Damn. I, too, just saw Soli's signature. Rest in peace JMR.

post #61 of 76

Just saw the link on SolipsismX signature.  Agreed, jragosta will be missed.  When 55 year olds pass away, it makes you think how short life can be.

post #62 of 76

I too came here from Sol's signature (you should get into advertising Sol!).

As so many other posters have said, thank you for the eloquent farewell post and accompanying link.

Despite being a member here for many years I never post much but I read everything avidly.  Because of this, I never had the dubious pleasure of crossing jragosta, but it was wildly entertaining to watch him school many of the respected members in this thread.

I respected his intelligence, his knowledge & his passion for his beliefs and I hope he passed surrounded by the people that he loved.

Farewell, jragosta.

Save your friends from Skynet - whoops, Google.  Recommend they use StartPage for search..

...and no, I am not paid to say this..

Save your friends from Skynet - whoops, Google.  Recommend they use StartPage for search..

...and no, I am not paid to say this..

post #63 of 76

As with many others, I just saw this due to Soli's signature. Rest in peace Joseph, you will be missed good sir.

post #64 of 76

Just saw SolipsismX's sig too as I am not here much any more. Joe was always thoughtful and intelligent in his posts. While we didn't always agree (almost never) he was a great member here. Sorry to hear this.

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both

"My 8th grade math teacher once said: "You can't help it if you're dumb, you are born that way. But stupid is self inflicted."" -Hiro. 

...sometimes it's both
post #65 of 76

In the hope that "better-late-than-never" still applies, I am shocked to learn the news so late and saddened by the loss of jragosta. Rest in Peace.

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

"You can't fall off the floor"   From 128k Mac to 8GB MBP

post #66 of 76

Wow.

I don't post here much anymore, but I saw solipsism's link today. Sad news indeed, always enjoyed reading his posts. Funny how the death of someone you never actually met or had anything resembling an actual conversation with can affect you.

Best wishes to his family. Death sucks.

post #67 of 76

Just noticed the footnote as well. RIP Joseph Michael Ragosta.

post #68 of 76
Rest in peace, Joseph Ragosta.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #69 of 76

Terrible news, I've just heard (internet connection has been down due to weather). RIP Joseph! Have a beer with Steve when you get there.

AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
AppleInsider = Apple-in-cider. It's a joke!

I've used macs since 1985 when I typed up my first research paper. Never used anything else never wanted to.
post #70 of 76

Just noticed Solipsm's signature.

Sad news he was a contributor I enjoyed interacting with.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #71 of 76

Haven't been paying close attention to the boards lately but saw the link today on the bottom of solipsisms signature. I always paid attention to JRs posts. He will be missed.

post #72 of 76
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

RIP, old dude. You had fire in you till the end.

Wouldn't want to call him old, at 55.

Old begins at 50 in my books. 30 middle-aged.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #73 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You must be younger than 50. You'll change your definition of old.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #74 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

You must be younger than 50. You'll change your definition of old.

Never. Old age and beyond can't come soon enough.

- African proverb
- African proverb
post #75 of 76
Quote:

...and spoken like a man who hasn't turned 50 yet. 1biggrin.gif
post #76 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

...and spoken like a man who hasn't turned 50 yet. 1biggrin.gif

Looking forward to my pipe and slippers. 😃

- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › jragosta (Joseph Michael Ragosta)