or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nokia takes page from Microsoft in new Lumia ad, goes after iPad's lack of physical keyboard

Nokia takes page from Microsoft in new Lumia ad, goes after iPad's lack of physical keyboard

post #1 of 48
Competitors are once again taking aim at Apple's top-selling iPad, with a new Nokia ad on Monday trumpeting the superiority of the Lumia 2520 tablet's attachable keyboard, long battery life and productivity capabilities.

Lumia Ad
Screenshot of Nokia's Lumia 2520 ad. | Source: Nokia via YouTube

In a bit of fun, Nokia's ad follows an iPad user as he becomes increasingly less enamored with Apple's tablet, pointing out arguments long since drilled into the ground by Microsoft and its Surface ads.

While the iPad itself is not named in the commercial, the narrator, who is voicing the main character's thoughts, says his new tablet is "thinner than a pencil" and "has been to space."

At first, the new owner acts smug with his purchase, noting that everyone wants one, while pooh-poohing the need for a keyboard. Things take an immediate turn, however, as we see our iPad-toting protagonist at a local coffee shop, frustrated that the tablet has no keyboard attachment.

Luckily, he came prepared with a MacBook Pro, called "the beast," which is apparently needed for any type of truly productive work. Nokia's 2520, by contrast, can be mated to a Power Keyboard that provides extra juice and physical QWERTY keys.

Next, the iPad's battery life comes under scrutiny, with the tablet dying while in the middle of a movie. Nokia is touting its fast-charging battery, which the company claims can be charged to 80 percent capacity in about an hour.

Finally, at the end of the spot, the iPad user concedes that one of the only redeeming qualities of the device is its light weight. When he finally sees the Lumia 2520, which solves all the problems discussed earlier in the ad, he asks, "Did I buy the wrong tablet?"
post #2 of 48
I seem to remember that another company (once called RIM) also poked fun at the iPhone for not having physical keyboard. Microsoft would do well to remember that bit of history.

In all seriousness, I can absolutely understand the use case for a keyboard with a tablet, but I think Apple sees the iPad as a fundamentally different type of computing experience. Sure, use a keyboard in those situations where you absolutely need one%u2026 but those situations really should be coming less and less frequently as time goes on and developers design software that brings a completely new experience to the end-user.

I know that I'm in the minority in this, but I actually really enjoy the experience of Pages on the iPad. The combination of the soft keyboard with voice dictation probably keeps my productivity level at around the same as with a physical keyboard on a desktop. And on top of that, I actually get to manipulate the words on the screen with my fingers, and I personally find that to be a really awesome experience!

Microsoft, on the other hand, seems to want to encumber the tablet end-user with traditional computing models. Instead of seeing a physical keyboard as a necessary evil that really should only be used in the most extreme circumstances, Microsoft seems to believe that the physical keyboard is an essential part of the tablet experience. To me, that makes tablets no different than a regular laptop.... and where's the fun in that!?
post #3 of 48
He didn't buy the wrong tablet. He's to smug to use a GREAT tablet.
post #4 of 48

Plain and simple. If your craplet needs a keyboard to operate effectively, you've failed to build a tablet. Instead, you've built a laptop for people who think it'd be cool to have a tablet because everyone else has one.

post #5 of 48

iPad has been out for how many years without keyboard or stylus and it's been doing just fine. When are these people going to stop hammering on the same "dead horse"? 

post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Finally, at the end of the spot, the iPad user concedes that one of the only redeeming qualities of the device is its light weight. When he finally sees the Lumia 2520, which solves all the problems discussed earlier in the ad, he asks, "Did I buy the wrong tablet?"

Fear not, young iPad grasshopper. You did not buy the wrong tablet, you only are trying to use the iPad like a turn-of-the-century typewriter.

Think again... do you really want a text-based keyboard when building a spreadsheet? Or do you want a ten-key pad and math formulae one moment and the text keyboard the next? Do you want a typewriter keyboard at hand to do photo touchup or other graphical work?

A typewriter keyboard is like one-size-(kind-o)f-fits-all... very similar to how a Windows tablet tries to be a heavy bulky tablet AND a laptop that can't work on a lap. Besides, Nokia and Microsoft pretend there is no similar keyboard for an iPad... if you need to write your great American novel on a tablet.

So far I haven't needed a keyboard for my iPad, especially since Siri is more accurate then my fingers and quicker as well. Life is better when you think in terms of the current century...
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #7 of 48

I work with a guy that is vehemently anti-Apple (to his core), and he's constantly bringing up things like this (because he knows I own Apple products).  

Usually I ignore him, because getting into an argument with a zealot is an exercise in futility.  The last time he made a dig at the fact the iPad didn't have a physical keyboard I just turned around, lowered my head and said, "ever heard of bluetooth, genius?"  He looked at me like he'd just figured out the Earth was round or something, and I continued, "... in the rare occasions I actually do need a physical keyboard (which are few and far between), I just break out my portable bluetooth keyboard, and ... problem solved."  

The reaction he had to that revelation, exposing his own myopic idiocy ... priceless.  

Edited by blursd - 11/25/13 at 11:04pm
post #8 of 48
Yeah I really don't understand why anyone thinks this is a thing. Need to use a keyboard with your iPad? Well.. use a keyboard with your iPad then. "Problem" solved.
post #9 of 48
And what about those of us who prefer to use paper, papyrus or even stone? I'm not seeing a solution Nokia. Dumbasses.
post #10 of 48
There are dozens of Bluetooth keyboards available for iPad giving the iPad user real choice and not limiting him/her to the manufacturers own product. These are probably available at a lesser cost than the manufacturers own product too.
I can use my Apple Bluetooth keyboard with my Mac mini , my iPad, my iPhone and my android tablet. One device to rule them all.
post #11 of 48
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #12 of 48
It seems amateur hour is not over.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #13 of 48

Pathetic duo (MS+Nokia) rides again....

post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Pathetic duo (MS+Nokia) rides again....

Yep, those two companies really are the leaders in mobile technology and know how aren't they? 1biggrin.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #15 of 48
A tablet with a keyboard? It's called a notepad (a smaller sized laptop)! I have an iPad and I also have a MacBook Air and understood the different of those 2 things. Thanks apple for keeping the definition clear.
post #16 of 48

Wow, what an ad! I'm completely sold...

post #17 of 48
Apparently, according to Nokia, I don't do 'useful' work! Yet a Bluetooth keyboard and printopia and AirPrint let me work wherever I want and iCloud and Dropbox let me share everything from anywhere with my secretary... And I do it all without an attached keyboard. But as Nokia said, that's 'not useful'.

And spending too much money for a tablet that doesn't run the software I use would be 'useful'?

Now, I can understand why someone who's whole computing experience is windows based might stay with a windows tablet, limited as that may be but advertising it this way does absolutely nothing to interest me nor do I think anyone who's already switched to ipad. We've already moved beyond anything Nokia has to offer and I'm baffled why they don't see that. The only other thing that makes sense is that they're simply trying to avoid loosing anyone else who might be considering switching. Does it work that way? It just baffles me.
post #18 of 48

A virtual keyboard is the revolution that made the iPhone and iPad.

When will they learn?

post #19 of 48

Doesn't seem like a great pitch for a 1:18 ad to show your main competitor's (and industry leader's) products for the first minute, only introducing yours in the last few seconds, with just a few flashcards of things it has, not what it does.

Bit of a crappy ad, which is a shame, as I think the 2520 looks like a decent tablet.

censored

censored

post #20 of 48
I don't get the advert, it seems counter productive.

Bluetooth keyboards are far better for when you need a keyboard than the abysmal smart cover thing that Microsoft peddled. I don't know what Nokia are pushing, but it's not going to change the world. And there's an entire ecosystem of bluetooth keyboards that support iOS, from tiny fold-ups, to full size docks.

And the iPad lasts forever playing movies, so I don't see the issue there, it's an outright lie. Far better to not require a "fast charge" during the day when you are out in my opinion, chargers are bulky.

Bluetooth keyboards, on the other hand, are fairly slim.
post #21 of 48
MS and now Nokia just invented the netbook. .... Oh wait!
post #22 of 48

I actually found some intelligence on youtube comments.

post #23 of 48

Should I have wished a keyboard, I would have bought a MacBook Air instead of an iPad.

By the way, I am an happy user of Pages too (Mac & Os version)  : )

post #24 of 48

I guess they are trying to convince me to give up my iPad for their look-a-like poly-carbon laptop. They don't get the difference between tablets and laptops. Let me help them, iPad is a tablet (no keyboard required), their product is a laptop with a removable keyboard (required). Have they shown this thing working in portrait mode?  Its funny how you tout a keyboard but cant show off using that thing ing portrait mode.

post #25 of 48
Just a moment.

If Microsoft has been running Nokia (essentially), and is now purchasing them, then why is Nokia releasing a product that competes directly with Microsoft's product?
post #26 of 48

Unlike the iPad, the Surface Pro has a personality-complex and therefore "requires" a keyboard. The iPad knows what it is, it is a convenience device. Something that Microsoft doesn't seem to grasp, they keep on complicating a simple idea and coming up with mega-features that defeat the purpose of a tablet, and you're left wondering "why don't I just buy a laptop?!"

I remember being at a BestBuy and overheard a salesperson trying to push the Surface over the iPad claiming "It's, by far, the best tablet in the market" to a client who walked in to buy a tablet. I remember the client concluding that the Surface sounded confusing and that she wasn't sure if it was a laptop or a tablet. Needless to say, she ended up buying the iPad.

bb
bb
post #27 of 48
This is the equivalent of a forum debate where one party starts making fun of an alias or grammar because they have nothing else to argue yet don't want to admit they already lost.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #28 of 48
Physical keyboards have been an option since the day the iPad was released. I am not sure why MS and now Nokia think not selling a key board cover means the iPad doesn't gave a keyboard or even an Apple keyboard.

The dock keyboard was there originally. They Apple Bluetooth keyboard is still there today. There are more varieties of third party iPad keyboards than units sold of Windows RT...
post #29 of 48
Microsoft's Nokia takes a leaf out of Microsoft's book? Surprising. You'd almost believe that they were "bought".

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #30 of 48

I know three people who own Surface tablets, and every one of them want and use it like a laptop. That is my experience with the difference between people who own iPads and those who use the Surface. People who own iPads want a tablet and use it like a tablet. People who own the Surface want a laptop and use it like a laptop. This is why the RT version did so poorly, it couldn't really function like a laptop, which is what too many Windows indoctrinated understand and want.

That being said, I personally went through and know many friends who went through some pain when the first iPad was released and we had to learn the differences (both good and bad) between a laptop and a tablet, and where each should be used. I truly believe that Apple is winning this round because they are looking to the future, while Microsoft and Nokia seem inexorably mired in the past.

post #31 of 48
It's a stupid argument for anyone who's ever touched a tablet. I'm good with my full sized Bluetooth Apple keyboard should I need one.
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

People who own iPads want a tablet and use it like a tablet. People who own the Surface want a laptop and use it like a laptop. 

True, and the only difference between a Surface with a keyboard and a laptop is that in a laptop the guts are where they're supposed to be, under the keyboard, whereas in the Surface they're behind the screen making it top-heavy requiring a stand.

bb
bb
post #33 of 48

2 cents.

I think Microsoft still apply the concept of notbook/netbook to tablet (It need to come with keyboard).

Before iPad, anyone could image that a 'tablet' managed by the native pointers come with most of us?

Yes. A tablet come with keyboard is handy sometimes for work. But how many of us really need to use a keyboard most of the time? Yes for those who are 'working' outside, but really that matter for most of the rest? If we must use a keyboard along with a tablet, why not just bring a laptop anyway?

Besides, a Lumia 2520 with keyboard doesn't really more portable (in weight) than an iPad Air with keyboard.

post #34 of 48

That's actually quite a funny ad so well done to Nokia for that.

I'd really like to see how well one of these does work outside. When they launched it they said the screen worked outside which to me would be amazing. I don't understand why phone screens are perfectly fine to view in sunlight yet, take an iPad outside and you can hardly see anything on the screen.

post #35 of 48
Since, at least for the Surface, you have to buy a keyboard separately, there is no difference between buying an iPad separately, and adding a keyboard later.

The big difference between the iPad Keyboard and Windows 8 Keyboard is that the iPad works great without a keyboard, and may work even better for some tasks with a keyboard, whereas Windows 8 Keyboard is mediocre without and with keyboard.
post #36 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

The big difference between the iPad Keyboard and Windows 8 Keyboard is that the iPad works great without a keyboard, and may work even better for some tasks with a keyboard, whereas Windows 8 Keyboard is mediocre without and with keyboard.

What make you think that? I find the Keyboard fairly useless for anything in the Modern UI part of Win 8 which is all the RT version really is. If I'm in a Modern UI app, I flip the keyboard round the back.

Unless you want to do any typing, Modern UI apps are so focused on touch there's not much point using anything else. On a desktop it's still easy enough to use with a mouse, it just isn't as great experience as on a tablet.

post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

That's actually quite a funny ad so well done to Nokia for that.

I'd really like to see how well one of these does work outside. When they launched it they said the screen worked outside which to me would be amazing. I don't understand why phone screens are perfectly fine to view in sunlight yet, take an iPad outside and you can hardly see anything on the screen.

I struggled with that on my first-gen iPad as well. Then one day, while I was outside, I went to Settings and discovered that for some reason the brightness was lowered. So I turned it up to full, and amazingly, I could see MUCH better on my iPad on a bright day. It wasn't perfect, and I still couldn't use it in very bright and direct sunlight, but it made a large and functional difference. 

My laptop is only marginally better. My phone is certainly better but also a smaller, more dense screen. Perhaps that's the reason?

I'm also curious just how readable the Lumia would be in direct sunlight. Maybe there's something about the smaller, 16:9 screens perhaps?

post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Just a moment.

If Microsoft has been running Nokia (essentially), and is now purchasing them, then why is Nokia releasing a product that competes directly with Microsoft's product?

No they haven't been running Nokia, the fact that this product has been released it proof of that. Microsoft won't be running the devices division of Nokia until next year.
post #39 of 48
This is sorta advertising the IPad, more than there device, the complainer bought what no one else wants, plus the no keyboard and small battery thing is off, the IPad has better battery life and can be used with a keyboard, or like the comercial, when you want to watch movies and stuff, tablet, when you want to type, it's a laptop(hince a laptop is tablet+keyboard.
post #40 of 48

I'm still waiting for this to take off :D

Virtual keyboard could revolutionise telephone usage

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Nokia takes page from Microsoft in new Lumia ad, goes after iPad's lack of physical keyboard