or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft's new Surface ad calls out iPad Air on 'hands free' gestures, multiple user accounts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft's new Surface ad calls out iPad Air on 'hands free' gestures, multiple user accounts - Page 2

post #41 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by XamaX View Post

PS: Correct me if I'm wrong but Apple never mentioned MS in any "I'm a Mac" ad as far as I know, they said PC and that is a generic term that comprehends lots of hardware and software companies, not necessarily with Windows as Operating System. But everybody knew they were talking about MS and that's just the beauty of it all. They never said Microsoft or Windows or Linux or Dell!

 

Actually, Mac vs PC was against Windows, not any OS.

 

Check for yourself:

 

post #42 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by XamaX View Post

RIP, MS!

PS: Correct me if I'm wrong but Apple never mentioned MS in any "I'm a Mac" ad as far as I know, they said PC and that is a generic term that comprehends lots of hardware and software companies, not necessarily with Windows as Operating System. But everybody knew they were talking about MS and that's just the beauty of it all. They never said Microsoft or Windows or Linux or Dell!

I thought the best ad was the one where PC has the security guy standing so close behind in dark glasses interrupting him at every other word. The look of exasperation on PC's face was hilarious! It was my favorite. The other one was the cheerleader, "We're number two, we're number two!" Just brilliant! :)


Edited by christopher126 - 11/27/13 at 7:38am
post #43 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post
 

As for your fatter and fatter comment... my child does use an iPad... just like a book.  Would you argue that books are making kids fatter then?  My child is three and is very athletic and eats a great diet.  He watches some TV and plays his games on the iPad.  I've found the iPad has increased his level of learning in reading and coordination.  He even plays piano on it!

Good for you J.

 

I've said it before, everything I've read, iPads increase learning from autistic children to Medical students and everyone in between. 

post #44 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielagos View Post
 

 

Actually, Mac vs PC was against Windows, not any OS.

 

Check for yourself:

Thanks for that, daniel. I'd forgotten the last line, "You are coming to a sad realization. Cancel or Allow?" "Allooow."

 

Very funny! :)

post #45 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post
 

I thought the best ad was the one where PC has the security guy standing so close behind in dark glasses interrupting him at every other word. The look of exasperation on PC's face was hilarious! It was my favorite. The other one was the cheerleader, "We're number two, we're number two!" Just brilliant! :)


the one with Gisele Bundchen was near perfect too (PC home movie)

post #46 of 119

I have an iPad (4th gen) and overall I am very happy with it. I have never once thought I needed that hands free option with gestures but I suppose it could be useful to some people on rare occasions. User profiles is also not a feature I really need since I use my iPad 98% of the time but for those rare occasions where I let someone use it I would be more comfortable if I could let them use a guest user account so they would not have full access to my email, Facebook, settings, and any other sensitive data. An iPad or iPhone after all have a lot of info on there that is very private that you may not want to share with others. But again this is not a major feature I have been clamoring for though I could see it as being very useful for many.

 

If I had to choose among features I really want to see on the next iPad or iOS the top of the list for me would be to continue to improve upon Siri. I use Siri a lot and it is still a little bit hit or miss especially on the iPad. Maybe my iPhone has a better microphone but it does seem to do a better job with voice recognition  than my iPad. I hope Apple will keep improving Siri and will eventually allow some commands to be local and not require internet access to speed things up. Asking it to set a timer for 30 minutes for example should not require internet and can be frustrating if the server is busy and requires you to say it 4 times before it takes. Some voice training to improve accuracy would also be nice.

 

Other than an improved Siri I have no real complaints about my iPad. I suppose running 2 apps at once could come in handy but not a feature I would use a great deal. I do think Apple should allow for than 5x6 app grid instead of the current 4x5 which seems to waste a lot of space. It also seems they could easily fit 5 or even 6 apps in the dock. Having some OS X finder like power would also be nice if we could sort apps alphabetically for example, or by date installed, or by categories. The folders are a poor substitute but I would like to be able to quickly access only social networking apps, or games, or any other category and see only those apps. If you have over 300 apps like me installed the current system is pretty unwieldy. 

 

But none of my minor quibbles make me want to consider a Windows or Android tablet. I trust Apple to continue to slowly improve both the hardware and iOS and still think it is a far superior tablet experience than the competition. 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #47 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukefrench View Post
 


the one with Gisele Bundchen was near perfect too (PC home movie)

Yep, very funny! :)

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNnX6XRQBec

post #48 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

First, iPad's only came out three and a half years ago, although I agree that Apple would be well suited to offer user profiles so I could quickly switch to one of my child's apps.  I don't have a problem with them accessing my email and never had an issue there, but it's mostly the problem of "child is screaming at a restaurant, hurry get them the iPad/iPhone... oh where are all his apps... argh!!!". So we use folders now...



 



I think TouchID is the perfect use case for this.  You see, picking the child's apps quickly is the important part. If I need to sign in with a passcode, then switch a folder, then give the kid the iPad... well, that's a bit of a pain.  But if the child can just turn it on and play. Magic!



 



I don't think it's a case of Apple wanting to sell millions of devices, because people will just buy a bigger iPad and use profiles and Apple makes more profit on higher spec'd iPads. The issue is simply "you can't share an iPad".  Do you have kids? OK, get them to share an iPad... I don't care what kind of quick profile switching you have... it's going to be a screaming fest.  The best case scenario are games they can play together.  Also, I like the ability as a parent to not allow the child to have immediate access to the iPad without asking permission.  I think these are things Apple are considering when coming up with their proper solution.


 



I sometimes am fearful for the future of our society. I have managed to raise four kids who all behave very well in restaurants and have never given them my iPhone or iPad in a restaurant. Its called parenting. I do allow my kids to use these devices at appropriate times, but the dinner table, whether at a restaurant or at home, is not the appropriate time or place for tablet/phone useage.
post #49 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

 

...I trust Apple to continue to slowly improve both the hardware and iOS and still think it is a far superior tablet experience than the competition. 

 

My thoughts exactly, GW. :)

post #50 of 119
The number of Apple apologists in this thread is quite sad. Defending Apple on user profiles is embarrasing. Buy your kids their own iPad? Sorry, but we all aren't rolling in $$$.

I received my iPad as a gift. I share it with my wife and two young schoolage children. They have a lot of educational games on there, and the wife and I have a few games and apps for ourselves.

Netflix has profiles! My kids have their shows, my wife and I have ours. Why can't the iPad? It's not a technological issue. It's a feature that I'm sure someone at Apple has looked at and considered low priority.
post #51 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by guytoronto View Post

The number of Apple apologists in this thread is quite sad. Defending Apple on user profiles is embarrasing. Buy your kids their own iPad? Sorry, but we all aren't rolling in $$$.

I received my iPad as a gift. I share it with my wife and two young schoolage children. They have a lot of educational games on there, and the wife and I have a few games and apps for ourselves.

Netflix has profiles! My kids have their shows, my wife and I have ours. Why can't the iPad? It's not a technological issue. It's a feature that I'm sure someone at Apple has looked at and considered low priority.

 

How do you know it is not a technological hurdle? iOS has a game center that as far as I know an equivalent feature is not available on Android or Windows. Perhaps there is something also about having your Apple ID/ iCloud account account tied to one device that makes it harder for Apple to add multiple user profiles. We really do not know all the facts and can only speculate. How would games for example like Modern War that do not even use Apple's game center handle multiple profiles. Would it require two downloads of the data which could add up to a lot more data being stored on an iPad? That game also ties your account to your hardware ID which also might cause issues.  Don't be so quick to dismiss this as simple Apple wanting you to buy multiple iPads when in fact multiple users accounts on an iPad with very limited storage could very well be a huge technological challenge. You have no idea why multiple user accounts have not been included yet and what challenges Apple would face if they decide to add this feature. 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #52 of 119
Originally Posted by guytoronto View Post
The number of Apple apologists in this thread is quite sad.

 

And on an Apple website? What are the odds!

 
Defending Apple on user profiles is embarrasing.

 

Or common sense.

 
Buy your kids their own iPad? Sorry, but we all aren't rolling in $$$.

 

So be intelligent about your sharing and use thereof. So actually parent your children. Educate them. Must be a real trial, huh.

 
Why can't the iPad?

 

Because the iPad isn’t an Internet service.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #53 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

How do you know it is not a technological hurdle? iOS has a game center that as far as I know an equivalent feature is not available on Android or Windows...

Search up Google Play Games. Essentially serves the same purpose as Apple's Game Center.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.play.games
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #54 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by guytoronto View Post

The number of Apple apologists in this thread is quite sad. Defending Apple on user profiles is embarrasing. Buy your kids their own iPad? Sorry, but we all aren't rolling in $$$.

I received my iPad as a gift. I share it with my wife and two young schoolage children. They have a lot of educational games on there, and the wife and I have a few games and apps for ourselves.

Netflix has profiles! My kids have their shows, my wife and I have ours. Why can't the iPad? It's not a technological issue. It's a feature that I'm sure someone at Apple has looked at and considered low priority.

 

They buy the kids a $99 tablet.

 

Add users makes things more complicated.  Multiple passwords.  How do you share apps.  Running out of space real fast.  Setup multiple cloud accounts, ect.  A real pain.

 

Again this is NOT a desktop.  Its a PERSONAL DEVICE.  If you choose to use it as a multi-user device its YOUR PROBLEM.  That's like grumbling that a motorcycle can't fit 4 people on it.  Its not designed to do that.  Its all about simplicity (see the latest commercial) and adding another layer is unneccsarry and will take away from the experience.

post #55 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


Search up Google Play Games. Essentially serves the same purpose as Apple's Game Center.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.play.games

Unless it has improved since this review it appears that is just a game launch pad and does not easily allow you to challenge friends like Apple's game center.

 

 http://www.techhive.com/article/2045145/the-google-play-games-hub-could-learn-something-from-apple-s-game-center.html

 

That also does not address the main issue I brought up about games that do not rely on game center or the Google equivalent like Modern War. That game stores a huge amount of data on your iPad so if you had 2 or 3 copies of that app how does an Android tablet handle that? That would be a tremendous amount of duplicated files taking up space.  Is it even possible since Modern War associates your game ID with your hardware ID as do many other apps. My point is that people are too quick to jump the gun and don't realize there may be a host of technological hurdles we may not even be aware of that is preventing Apple from adding multiple accounts. 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #56 of 119
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

That's like grumbling that a motorcycle can't fit 4 people on it.

 

Gosh dang it, I just got a picture in my head of three “Amish haulers” (as we call them around here) going down the road, full to bursting with stereotypical gruff, muscly, bearded bikers. You know, instead of 20-30 bikes.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #57 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Unless it has improved since this review it appears that is just a game launch pad and does not easily allow you to challenge friends like Apple's game center.

 http://www.techhive.com/article/2045145/the-google-play-games-hub-could-learn-something-from-apple-s-game-center.html

That also does not address the main issue I brought up about games that do not rely on game center or the Google equivalent like Modern War. That game stores a huge amount of data on your iPad so if you had 2 or 3 copies of that app how does an Android tablet handle that? That would be a tremendous amount of duplicated files taking up space.  Is it even possible since Modern War associates your game ID with your hardware ID as do many other apps. My point is that people are too quick to jump the gun and don't realize there may be a host of technological hurdles we may not even be aware of that is preventing Apple from adding multiple accounts. 

I'm not at all discounting the possibility that Apple doesn't offer multi-user profiles due to technical issues they've been unable to overcome.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #58 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


I'm not at all discounting the possibility that Apple doesn't offer multi-user profiles due to technical issues they've been unable to overcome.

And I I'm not discounting the possibility that Microsoft or Google released multiple user profiles even though they offer less than an ideal solution and are not ready for prime time. If you don't mind a beta quality experience that won't matter. Apple are perfectionists so I expect if and when they decide to add that feature it will not suffer from the same problems and limitations I have seen with the Android implementation. 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #59 of 119

In my view, the second ad has teeth. I too would very much like to have profiles and more robust monitoring. I have given my 3 y/o my old iPhone 4 (sans sim card) and my old iPad 3 which we do share when I need it. While I have setup restrictions... overall its not implemented in a way to provide either the level of assurance or the level of practicality that I would expect. 

post #60 of 119
I see the results from the PrimeSense purchasing coming to Apple's iDevices pretty soon.
post #61 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

And I I'm not discounting the possibility that Microsoft or Google released multiple user profiles even though they offer less than an ideal solution and are not ready for prime time. If you don't mind a beta quality experience that won't matter. Apple are perfectionists so I expect if and when they decide to add that feature it will not suffer from the same problems and limitations I have seen with the Android implementation. 


I couldn't let this go.  The level of ignorance is just too high.  Google's multi-user support is still developing - and is indeed a beta quality experience - but, that is not the case with the Surface RT/2/Pro.  All of these run Windows 8 (and yes, Windows RT is Windows - despite what ignorant tech journalists might say) - a system that is inherently multi-user. 

 

Your examples of games/applications being downloaded multiple times is not the case on a surface device.  An application is only downloaded once - by the first user that installs it.  Any subsequent user that "installs" the app, simply has it added to their profile along with any user specific data - global data and settings are not duplicated.

 

Also, I noticed a comment earlier about Windows not having something like game center...  It's called xbox games.  Look it up - it integrates into Microsoft's Xbox live service.

post #62 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbi View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

And I I'm not discounting the possibility that Microsoft or Google released multiple user profiles even though they offer less than an ideal solution and are not ready for prime time. If you don't mind a beta quality experience that won't matter. Apple are perfectionists so I expect if and when they decide to add that feature it will not suffer from the same problems and limitations I have seen with the Android implementation. 


I couldn't let this go.  The level of ignorance is just too high.  Google's multi-user support is still developing - and is indeed a beta quality experience - but, that is not the case with the Surface RT/2/Pro.  All of these run Windows 8 (and yes, Windows RT is Windows - despite what ignorant tech journalists might say) - a system that is inherently multi-user. 

 

Your examples of games/applications being downloaded multiple times is not the case on a surface device.  An application is only downloaded once - by the first user that installs it.  Any subsequent user that "installs" the app, simply has it added to their profile along with any user specific data - global data and settings are not duplicated.

 

Also, I noticed a comment earlier about Windows not having something like game center...  It's called xbox games.  Look it up - it integrates into Microsoft's Xbox live service.

 

I think this is probably a fundamental difference between the tablet philosophies rather than a reflection of technical hurdles.

 

The iPad seems to have been conceived and designed as a single-user device - similar to a smartphone - with an always on, continuously logged-in use model, and I suspect that it may be felt that it would dilute that model to provide explicit multi-user support. Microsoft, on the other hand, has continued to look for ways to make the Surface experience more, rather than less, like using a conventional computer.

 

Neither approach is necessarily wrong, but they are clearly different.

post #63 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Having some OS X finder like power would also be nice if we could sort apps alphabetically for example, or by date installed, or by categories. The folders are a poor substitute but I would like to be able to quickly access only social networking apps, or games, or any other category and see only those apps. If you have over 300 apps like me installed the current system is pretty unwieldy. 

I don't know if they still call it Spotlight but either on an iPhone or iPad under iOS 7, just rest  a finger anywhere on the screen and slowly pull down. You'll see a search box come up and there you can type what you're looking for.

For example, typing the word "face" on my iPhone immediately yields the application facebook and facetime, along with songs "The face", "the face of the nation", "god put a smile upon your face"  etc.  Very elegant way of searching for an application or any other object in general,  without flipping through screens.

 

On the other hand you can categorize your apps into folders. Example my "Social" folder contains facebook, twitter, linkedin, flipboard. My folders are all on my 2nd iPad screen and they are all ordered alphabetically. A bit of work, I agree but once done, very easy to maintain.

post #64 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbi View Post
 


I couldn't let this go.  The level of ignorance is just too high.  Google's multi-user support is still developing - and is indeed a beta quality experience - but, that is not the case with the Surface RT/2/Pro.  All of these run Windows 8 (and yes, Windows RT is Windows - despite what ignorant tech journalists might say) - a system that is inherently multi-user. 

 

Your examples of games/applications being downloaded multiple times is not the case on a surface device.  An application is only downloaded once - by the first user that installs it.  Any subsequent user that "installs" the app, simply has it added to their profile along with any user specific data - global data and settings are not duplicated.

 

Also, I noticed a comment earlier about Windows not having something like game center...  It's called xbox games.  Look it up - it integrates into Microsoft's Xbox live service.

 

 

All the games I play like Modern War, Kingdom Age, Clash of Clans, PvZ2, and so many other games and apps aren't even available on Windows so what good is multiple accounts when the games and apps aren't available to any user profile? Xbox live is also a paid service. You can't even watch Netflix or Youtube on an Xbox unless you pay Microsoft their yearly tribute. What a ripoff. I have a huge group of friends with iOS devices that I can challenge to games with Game Center which is free and don't know of any with a Windows phone or tablet with Xbox live account so who exactly could I challenge to a game? 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #65 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post
 

I don't know if they still call it Spotlight but either on an iPhone or iPad under iOS 7, just rest  a finger anywhere on the screen and slowly pull down. You'll see a search box come up and there you can type what you're looking for.

For example, typing the word "face" on my iPhone immediately yields the application facebook and facetime, along with songs "The face", "the face of the nation", "god put a smile upon your face"  etc.  Very elegant way of searching for an application or any other object in general,  without flipping through screens.

 

On the other hand you can categorize your apps into folders. Example my "Social" folder contains facebook, twitter, linkedin, flipboard. My folders are all on my 2nd iPad screen and they are all ordered alphabetically. A bit of work, I agree but once done, very easy to maintain.

Yes I often use spotlight but what happens when you don't know the name of an app? In OS X there are all sorts of ways to sort and shuffle and browse to find what you are looking for. Some of that power would be very welcome in my opinion on iOS to help find things faster.

 

I also use folders but find them very limiting. I need an easier way to sort and organize and move apps around and rearrange my screens. In OS X for example you can use command+select or shift+select to select multiple items or a group to move around. Perhaps there would be a way with a gesture to do something similar in iOS. I think iOS works great if you only have about 75 or less apps installed but once you get into the hundreds it gets a but unwieldy and I think there is some room for better app management. I think iOS will evolve to add an additional layer to help manage what is essentially an application folder perhaps not as advanced as OS X but more robust than what is currently available. 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #66 of 119
Who leaves a 1 year old unattended with an iPad?

User profiles are great.

Arguing it is needed because of your 1 year old is retarded.
post #67 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

 

 

All the games I play like Modern War, Kingdom Age, Clash of Clans, PvZ2, and so many other games and apps aren't even available on Windows so what good is multiple accounts when the games and apps aren't available to any user profile? Xbox live is also a paid service. You can't even watch Netflix or Youtube on an Xbox unless you pay Microsoft their yearly tribute. What a ripoff. I have a huge group of friends with iOS devices that I can challenge to games with Game Center which is free and don't know of any with a Windows phone or tablet with Xbox live account so who exactly could I challenge to a game? 

 

All of that is well and good for you...  I'm happy that you enjoy your ios devices and integrated services.  But, this comment does not in anyway change the fact that your were making ignorant statements about multi-user support on surface devices.  I corrected you - your response is simply not relevant to the fact that

 

1) Surface is multi-user support is not beta quality

2) does have an equivalent to game center.

 

Have a nice day.

post #68 of 119

Tell your free loader son to buy his own device.

 

What next?  Are you going to share your smart phone with your 1 year old?  Seriously.

 

Go buy a Nexus7 and report to us next week.

post #69 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbi View Post
 

 

All of that is well and good for you...  I'm happy that you enjoy your ios devices and integrated services.  But, this comment does not in anyway change the fact that your were making ignorant statements about multi-user support on surface devices.  I corrected you - your response is simply not relevant to the fact that

 

1) Surface is multi-user support is not beta quality

2) does have an equivalent to game center.

 

Have a nice day.

 

Only cheapskates and free loaders care about multi-user.

 

Get your own damn device.  I'd be pissed of if my wife or kids wanted to use my iPad.  Its as stupid as someone asking you to use your phone. 

post #70 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Unless it has improved since this review it appears that is just a game launch pad and does not easily allow you to challenge friends like Apple's game center.

 http://www.techhive.com/article/2045145/the-google-play-games-hub-could-learn-something-from-apple-s-game-center.html

That also does not address the main issue I brought up about games that do not rely on game center or the Google equivalent like Modern War. That game stores a huge amount of data on your iPad so if you had 2 or 3 copies of that app how does an Android tablet handle that?. 

The app is only downloaded once even if it's used by two or more different "profiles" on that tablet. Obviously each would have their own user file for their own data tho so yeah available space could be an issue especially if there's no allowance for an SD card. Of course there's Android Cloud Save for games that can help mitigate storage
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #71 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbi View Post
 

 

All of that is well and good for you...  I'm happy that you enjoy your ios devices and integrated services.  But, this comment does not in anyway change the fact that your were making ignorant statements about multi-user support on surface devices.  I corrected you - your response is simply not relevant to the fact that

 

1) Surface is multi-user support is not beta quality

2) does have an equivalent to game center.

 

Have a nice day.

My original post was a rebuttal to a guy discussing Android. You jumped into that conversation. I will be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about the various flavors of Windows phones and tablets. I have no idea what are the differences between a Surface, a Surface Pro, Windows RT, or Windows 8 mobile. The reason I have no interest in any of those aside from it being very confusing is there is paltry amount of apps to choose from. Again I ask you what good is a multi-user support when there are no decent apps I want to run on any account? I think that is a pretty relevant point even if I concede that multi-user support is better than beta quality. 

 

I don't see that there is a huge groundswell of people demanding this feature. If people start demanding it by the millions and Apple determines they are losing sales due to this feature not being included I am sure they will decide to add it at that time. But quite frankly I think all Windows mobile type phones and tablets are very limited due to the rather tiny ecosystem of popular apps. 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #72 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


The app is only downloaded once even if it's used by two or more different "profiles" on that tablet. Obviously each would have their own user file for their own data tho so yeah available space could be an issue especially if there's no allowance for an SD card. Of course there's Android Cloud Save for games that can help mitigate storage

I am not sure a storage card would help with app storage since the latest versions of Android require apps to be stored internally and not on SD cards.

 

Your example might work for some apps like Facebook for example where you log in with a ID and password but I don't think it would work on apps that have no log in per se and instead depend on the hardware ID. Try installing Modern War on your tablet with 2 accounts for example and see what happens. 

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply

 

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. 

Reply
post #73 of 119

This discussion is like saying a Toyota Corolla is a better car than a Ferrari because the Corolla has more doors.

 

99% of tablet owners don't give a sheet about multi-user. Apple doesn't add features just to add features.  It costs money, cpu speed, programing time, battery life, ect to add new features.  They will only add new features that bring VALUE to its users.  Many of the Surface features seem to add nothing but more mire and confusion.

 

Now iPadPro.  That's a different story.


Edited by sog35 - 11/27/13 at 11:22am
post #74 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This discussion is like saying a Toyota Corolla is a better car than a Ferrari because the Corolla has more doors.

99% of tablet owners don't give a sheet about multi-user. Apple doesn't add features just to add features.  It costs money, cpu speed, programing time, battery life, ect to add new features.  They will only add new features that bring VALUE to its users.  Many of the Surface features seem to add nothing but more mire and confusion.

Now iPadPro.  That's a different story.

Most of the comments from iPad users offering opinions here at AI seems to be in favor of multi-user rather than against it. 99% of tablet owners opposed to it? Personally I doubt it.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #75 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


Most of the comments from iPad users offering opinions here at AI seems to be in favor of multi-user rather than against it. 99% of tablet owners opposed to it? Personally I doubt it.

 

I'd say 99% won't pay to have it or would rather have another feature like TouchID.

 

I've never read a single review that said the iPad needs multi-user.

post #76 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This discussion is like saying a Toyota Corolla is a better car than a Ferrari because the Corolla has more doors.

99% of tablet owners don't give a sheet about multi-user. Apple doesn't add features just to add features.  It costs money, cpu speed, programing time, battery life, ect to add new features.  They will only add new features that bring VALUE to its users.  Many of the Surface features seem to add nothing but more mire and confusion.

Now iPadPro.  That's a different story.

Most of the comments from iPad users offering opinions here at AI seems to be in favor of multi-user rather than against it. 99% of tablet owners opposed to it? Personally I doubt it.

 

I'm sure that some users would like multi-user capabilities, but I'm not sure that counting comments is a good metric. Those who don't feel a need for it are quite unlikely to comment compared to those who do. I doubt that many are actually opposed to it and, in any case, that is not what sog35 asserted.

post #77 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I'm sure that some users would like multi-user capabilities, but I'm not sure that counting comments is a good metric.

Completely agree. That's not what I mentioned it for. Instead I was hoping he took note that few may be as emphatically opposed to it as he is. Having the feature choice available shouldn't have any downside for those that don't have a need for it anymore than it does on a Mac.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #78 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I'm sure that some users would like multi-user capabilities, but I'm not sure that counting comments is a good metric.

Completely agree. That's not what I mentioned it for. Instead I was hoping he took note that few may be as emphatically opposed to it as he is. Having the feature choice available shouldn't have any downside for those that don't have a need for it anymore than it does on a Mac.

 

Fair enough, although I stand by my earlier post that I think there is a substantial single-user philosophy behind the iPad concept, in which case it is not necessarily a feature choice with no downside.

post #79 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Fair enough, although I stand by my earlier post that I think there is a substantial single-user philosophy behind the iPad concept, in which case it is not necessarily a feature choice with no downside.

I actually agreed with your earlier post and meant to give it a thumbs up at the time. I don't personally think there is any technical reason preventing multi-user profiles on an iPad. I too think it's a marketing decision.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #80 of 119

Those are some pretty weird kids:-

 

 

It could explain all the childishness of cnet comments.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft's new Surface ad calls out iPad Air on 'hands free' gestures, multiple user accounts
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft's new Surface ad calls out iPad Air on 'hands free' gestures, multiple user accounts