or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft's new Surface ad calls out iPad Air on 'hands free' gestures, multiple user accounts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Microsoft's new Surface ad calls out iPad Air on 'hands free' gestures, multiple user accounts - Page 3

post #81 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Fair enough, although I stand by my earlier post that I think there is a substantial single-user philosophy behind the iPad concept, in which case it is not necessarily a feature choice with no downside.

I actually agreed with your earlier post and meant to give it a thumbs up at the time. I don't personally think there is any technical reason preventing multi-user profiles on an iPad. I too think it's a marketing decision.

 

I'm not privy to Apple's marketing strategy of course, but I don't know that I would even put this down just to marketing. Apple has a history of disrupting the status quo, and I think that one element of that in this case is to move the market towards personal devices. The cynical view would be that it is just to sell more devices, but I actually think that they are pushing a technological paradigm shift here.

post #82 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

My original post was a rebuttal to a guy discussing Android. You jumped into that conversation. I will be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about the various flavors of Windows phones and tablets. I have no idea what are the differences between a Surface, a Surface Pro, Windows RT, or Windows 8 mobile. The reason I have no interest in any of those aside from it being very confusing is there is paltry amount of apps to choose from. Again I ask you what good is a multi-user support when there are no decent apps I want to run on any account? I think that is a pretty relevant point even if I concede that multi-user support is better than beta quality. 

 

I don't see that there is a huge groundswell of people demanding this feature. If people start demanding it by the millions and Apple determines they are losing sales due to this feature not being included I am sure they will decide to add it at that time. But quite frankly I think all Windows mobile type phones and tablets are very limited due to the rather tiny ecosystem of popular apps. 

 

I jumped in because you mentioned windows on more than one of your replies - I was correcting you on your lumping windows and android together as having the same beta level of support.

 

First off - Surface Pro runs full windows 8 pro.  To say it has a paltry amount of apps available for it is laughable.  It has millions of apps because it can run any windows x86 app that any other pc can run.  This is true of any of the windows x86 tablets - they are only limited by their processor and memory limits.

 

As for Windows RT, since it runs on ARM based processors, traditional x86 binaries will not work so, it is limited to the out of the box software as well as what is available in the Windows Store.  Currently, that's something like 130,000 apps and growing.  There is no question that there are less apps available for a Surface RT/2 device - the iPad and Android ecosystems have had a couple more years to grow their offerings.  But, the RT devices have a couple of things going for them that make this gap much less noticeable.  The biggest being having a full desktop class browser (IE11) with built in flash support.  That alone gives you pretty broad access to services that are only available as "apps" on other mobile platforms.  For instance, Amazon Prime streaming video.  You don't need an app on the RT device as you do on an iPad - you can just use the browser.  You can't do this on Android device (the exception being a kindle device or one that has had the old flash mobile hacked on to it) because the browser doesn't support flash and their is no Amazon video app for Android. 

 

Anyway, I don't really want to get into a discussion about ecosystems, etc.  I simply wanted you to be aware that you were incorrect in your assessment of features.  You may not agree they are needed and it's obvious that you like your ipad/ios devices and that's great.

 

Have a great day!

post #83 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbi View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

My original post was a rebuttal to a guy discussing Android. You jumped into that conversation. I will be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about the various flavors of Windows phones and tablets. I have no idea what are the differences between a Surface, a Surface Pro, Windows RT, or Windows 8 mobile. The reason I have no interest in any of those aside from it being very confusing is there is paltry amount of apps to choose from. Again I ask you what good is a multi-user support when there are no decent apps I want to run on any account? I think that is a pretty relevant point even if I concede that multi-user support is better than beta quality. 

 

I don't see that there is a huge groundswell of people demanding this feature. If people start demanding it by the millions and Apple determines they are losing sales due to this feature not being included I am sure they will decide to add it at that time. But quite frankly I think all Windows mobile type phones and tablets are very limited due to the rather tiny ecosystem of popular apps. 

 

I jumped in because you mentioned windows on more than one of your replies - I was correcting you on your lumping windows and android together as having the same beta level of support.

 

First off - Surface Pro runs full windows 8 pro.  To say it has a paltry amount of apps available for it is laughable.  It has millions of apps because it can run any windows x86 app that any other pc can run.  This is true of any of the windows x86 tablets - they are only limited by their processor and memory limits.

 

As for Windows RT, since it runs on ARM based processors, traditional x86 binaries will not work so, it is limited to the out of the box software as well as what is available in the Windows Store.  Currently, that's something like 130,000 apps and growing.  There is no question that there are less apps available for a Surface RT/2 device - the iPad and Android ecosystems have had a couple more years to grow their offerings.  But, the RT devices have a couple of things going for them that make this gap much less noticeable.  The biggest being having a full desktop class browser (IE11) with built in flash support.  That alone gives you pretty broad access to services that are only available as "apps" on other mobile platforms.  For instance, Amazon Prime streaming video.  You don't need an app on the RT device as you do on an iPad - you can just use the browser.  You can't do this on Android device (the exception being a kindle device or one that has had the old flash mobile hacked on to it) because the browser doesn't support flash and their is no Amazon video app for Android. 

 

Anyway, I don't really want to get into a discussion about ecosystems, etc.  I simply wanted you to be aware that you were incorrect in your assessment of features.  You may not agree they are needed and it's obvious that you like your ipad/ios devices and that's great.

 

Have a great day!

 

For the RT devices I suspect that the Flash "advantage" depends on your point of view, since many believe that Flash usage will continue to decline. And, with respect to your example, I really can't see how the ability to view Amazon streaming video on a browser rather than in a free and functional app is an advantage at all. Office might be a better example of a potential advantage, at least until it is available on iOS.

post #84 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post
 

Multiple User Profiles only works on paper.  Have any of you ever tried to tell your kids to "share" an iPad?  I did, and it didn't work.  Eventually we all need an iPad ourselves. 

 

How does the logic of this statement work? Multiple User Profiles only works on paper because it doesn't work on the iPad, which doesn't have user profiles to begin with?

post #85 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post
 

 

For the RT devices I suspect that the Flash "advantage" depends on your point of view, since many believe that Flash usage will continue to decline. And, with respect to your example, I really can't see how the ability to view Amazon streaming video on a browser rather than in a free and functional app is an advantage at all. Office might be a better example of a potential advantage, at least until it is available on iOS.

 

Flash will decline eventually - but, so far I haven't actually seen any evidence of it...  And, at least as long as it is still prevalent, I in fact do see it as an advantage over the iPad and even Android in the short term.  One example where this is true would be Hulu Plus.  There is an official Hulu Plus application in the windows store - but, like all of the app versions of Hulu it comes with some content restrictions.  There is content that is not available on mobile devices.  Yet, on the Surface RT you can just use the browser if the app restricts you from viewing said content.

 

As for the specific example given earlier - I wasn't saying it was an advantage over the iPad - I was pointing out that by having the flash functionality and full desktop browser makes the app gap actually not nearly as noticeable.   Spotify, Pandora, etc - all accessible through the browser - as are the full facebook experience including those stupid flash based games that the kids like so well :)

 

Anyway, have a great day.

post #86 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Erm what about the Mac vs PC ad's? Apple kinda started all of this.

Wow, can you really not differentiate between the ‘tone and manner’ of those “I’m a Mac, and I’m a PC" ads versus these? The difference in attitude alone in those ads speaks volumes.

Quote:
Touch ID while sounding cool, would also be useless for this scenario. A 1 year old doesn't have proper finger prints. If it brings user profiles with it then great, but to me it's less about adding whizzy features and more about fixing an issue with an otherwise excellent toy for a child.

This is starting to sound like a specious argument. You’re fist complaining about not being able to control what the kid does (meaning, leave the child alone to play with the “great toy” that an iPad is). But now you’re seriously talking about leaving a $400 or $500 drool-averse device alone with a ONE YEAR OLD?

Please….. bad rationale for what could be a reasonable argument.

I’ve found both my iPad and my iPhone to be very “personal” devices. That said, I also have family, with kids, who share an iPad. Parental Controls works just fine on that one. The “use case” shown in the MS Ad here was grossly misleading. It implied kids buying things when parents aren’t looking. There ARE controls for that.

As for “monitoring” all the behavior of those “other users”? No. Just no… Children can be taught to be smart, honest, and have trust extended to them. Spying on them like that feels way too overbearing...
post #87 of 119
Last year it was a Microsoft Surface RT $900,000,000 product write off. I guess this year it will be a $900,000,000 Advertising write off. Really, MS?!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #88 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbi View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post
 

 

For the RT devices I suspect that the Flash "advantage" depends on your point of view, since many believe that Flash usage will continue to decline. And, with respect to your example, I really can't see how the ability to view Amazon streaming video on a browser rather than in a free and functional app is an advantage at all. Office might be a better example of a potential advantage, at least until it is available on iOS.

 

Flash will decline eventually - but, so far I haven't actually seen any evidence of it...  And, at least as long as it is still prevalent, I in fact do see it as an advantage over the iPad and even Android in the short term.  One example where this is true would be Hulu Plus.  There is an official Hulu Plus application in the windows store - but, like all of the app versions of Hulu it comes with some content restrictions.  There is content that is not available on mobile devices.  Yet, on the Surface RT you can just use the browser if the app restricts you from viewing said content.

 

As for the specific example given earlier - I wasn't saying it was an advantage over the iPad - I was pointing out that by having the flash functionality and full desktop browser makes the app gap actually not nearly as noticeable.   Spotify, Pandora, etc - all accessible through the browser - as are the full facebook experience including those stupid flash based games that the kids like so well :)

 

Anyway, have a great day.

 

I think that Flash is clearly declining, at least in that it is no longer the default platform for content delivery, but your point stands - yes it still exists and there are times when one might benefit from using a device that supports it.

post #89 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post
 

Erm what about the Mac vs PC ad's? Apple kinda started all of this.

 

5 years is pushing the boundaries of being patient, at this point it's more like Apple care more about making huge sums of money rather than giving millions of parents using there product a simple but really useful feature.

 

Touch ID while sounding cool, would also be useless for this scenario. A 1 year old doesn't have proper finger prints. If it brings user profiles with it then great, but to me it's less about adding whizzy features and more about fixing an issue with an otherwise excellent toy for a child.


Oh, what do I hear? Yes, yes, it's the sound of someone getting straigth into the Hall of Troll Fame!

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #90 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Last year it was a Microsoft Surface RT $900,000,000 product write off. I guess this year it will be a $900,000,000 Advertising write off. Really, MS?!


Can't they just gimme a bit of it?

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #91 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Get some sleep, bro! 1smile.gif

You obviously have no idea how irritating it is to continually read bad spelling & grammar (often the same elementary mistake, as in this case) in the space of just a few posts.

I've often said to my partner, only half jokingly, that in another 10 years time all proof readers will be out of a job because the standard of English will be so low that most people will neither know nor care if the spelling or grammar is correct.

I can only assume you're one of them. And that's you're with an apostrophe, not your ...
post #92 of 119

Maybe this has been noted above- no time to search - but today The Telegraph (kind of ironically named) says "Microsoft appears set to abandon WindowsRT".

 

It's just connecting some well-known dots that are coming from the mouths of MS execs, but together with the web surveys showing the current micro-share of Surface tabs, it rings true.

 

Still, MS would never flog a product it is about to dump, right? ( /snark)

post #93 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post


You obviously have no idea how irritating it is to continually read bad spelling & grammar (often the same elementary mistake, as in this case) in the space of just a few posts.

I've often said to my partner, only half jokingly, that in another 10 years time all proof readers will be out of a job because the standard of English will be so low that most people will neither know nor care if the spelling or grammar is correct.

I can only assume you're one of them. And that's you're with an apostrophe, not your ...

 

While I agree with you on the importance of proper spelling and grammar (but I'm French, that makes it standard behavior), this is a bit harsh...

Do also take into consideration that Internet gives access to instant written commenting to people who otherwise would have spent their afternoons talking in bars, over a game of ball, in a park, or any other place where you use spoken English, instead of written English: it's probably not a general "free fall" of English, but merely an increasing amount of written English.

 

Maybe people's english is actually better, on average, than 40 years ago. Have you polled an extensive population over four decades's span?

 

The worst is never certain :D

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #94 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post


You obviously have no idea how irritating it is to continually read bad spelling & grammar (often the same elementary mistake, as in this case) in the space of just a few posts.

I've often said to my partner, only half jokingly, that in another 10 years time all proof readers will be out of a job because the standard of English will be so low that most people will neither know nor care if the spelling or grammar is correct.

I can only assume you're one of them. And that's you're with an apostrophe, not your ...

How do you feel about run-on sentences? :) Just kidding.

 

I feel your pain! I'm from England living here in America, you know? Kinda, you know, you know? :)

post #95 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Maybe people's english is actually better, on average, than 40 years ago. Have you polled an extensive population over four decades's span?

No, no surveys here. Just a gut feeling from reading articles over 40 years or so. It seems increasingly common even by people whose job it is to know better. I saw a man at Brighton station painting the signage on a new drinks kiosk which read "Tea's and Coffees" but two days later the apostrophe had been painted over. The pub in my road recently had a complete makeover with brand new sign boards outside reading "Familys welcome" in large white letters. A year later it's still there ...

These are not people coming home after a night in the pub 1biggrin.gif
post #96 of 119
Wow, so incredibly non-compelling. Most people don't buy stuff based on feature comparisons, they buy on emotion. Apple's ads tell you, their products are cool, easy to use, fun, and creative. These ads tout features that are of limited appeal.
post #97 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

You obviously have no idea how irritating it is to continually read bad spelling & grammar (often the same elementary mistake, as in this case) in the space of just a few posts.

I've often said to my partner, only half jokingly, that in another 10 years time all proof readers will be out of a job because the standard of English will be so low that most people will neither know nor care if the spelling or grammar is correct.

I can only assume you're one of them. And that's you're with an apostrophe, not your ...

I’m going to advocate that ‘your’ (possessive) should now be spelled “yer”, to differentiate it from “you’re/your”, so that both of those can now be used in place of “you are”.

English is after all, a living, ever-evolving language, so we have to make room for change along the way. I blame poor education for most of the illiteracy on display. I’m half joking about the spellings, but the point is real.

That said, English isn’t all that active compared to other ‘living languages’. I lived 12 years in Japan, and let me tell you, we don’t have half the issues they do. In one example, slang evolves so fast there that sometimes university aged people can’t understand half of what high schoolers are saying. They also have a way of “importing” words from other languages, modifying them, and adding them to the everyday lexicon. Those become mainstream exceedingly easily, and so half a generation later, half the people don’t even know they aren’t “native” words.

“Pasu-con” (Personal Computer), “Ho-why-toe Sha-tsu” ('White Shirts' aka the button-up dress shirt), just two examples that, when I explained those originated in English, shocked my younger Japanese audience.

I’ll take the your/you’re problem any day. At least we can ‘grok’ the intent via usage context…. mostly…. the ambiguity of Japanese presented challenges we don’t have to deal with at all.

Still, I understand and mostly agree with your sentiments… even if I make those same mistakes from time to time.
post #98 of 119
I am one of few who own a surface pro device, I took it to a business trip recently, to only have the constant need to charge the power. This is shit, the keyboard is shit, you can not type properly for meeting notes. It's not even good enough for business use.

The Video port trying to connect to a VGA or HDMI is sometimes dual screen, sometimes a mirror screen, what a bugged ridden OS.
Even the Windows 8.1 update failed unless you did a firmware update first, what kind of update is this after the 2hour download. Totally bollocks why didn't it say in first place, it's Dam Microsoft own product.

I shall now move to using Keynotes as it can import my PPT slides, and also handles video much better, anyone tried to add a video into a PPT it's a joke, such a joke in fact.

I so regret not taking my iPad and won't do the same mistake again.

As for Surface - iPad it's simple, assume you need to cook something longer than 30minutes then at least ipad will have plenty of battery power. your surface would need to fight all other kitchen appliances for a power socket.

as for a stand, for a few $ you can buy for iPad, Suface needs one because on your lap it's impossible to use, hand hold in hand it is too heavy, more than like 5minutes.
Multi profile, complete shit, no child would want use surface it's not cool, and by cool.
Now I know why Microsoft say surface, you can cook eggs on the surface display, it's it gets toasty quickly.

someone wants his one year old to play with ipad, go buy them ipad2 low cost they can play all day, get them a lovley protector cover colourful, and engaging, forget the profile rubbish don't be cheap education let them learn and explore, it's not android crud it's a friendly OS.
post #99 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbi View Post
 

As for Windows RT, since it runs on ARM based processors, traditional x86 binaries will not work so, it is limited to the out of the box software as well as what is available in the Windows Store.  Currently, that's something like 130,000 apps and growing.  There is no question that there are less apps available for a Surface RT/2 device - the iPad and Android ecosystems have had a couple more years to grow their offerings.

 

WinMo was around for years before iOS and Android came on the scene, that excuse doesn't wash.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #100 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndirishfan1975 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post
 

First, iPad's only came out three and a half years ago, although I agree that Apple would be well suited to offer user profiles so I could quickly switch to one of my child's apps.  I don't have a problem with them accessing my email and never had an issue there, but it's mostly the problem of "child is screaming at a restaurant, hurry get them the iPad/iPhone... oh where are all his apps... argh!!!". So we use folders now...

 

 

 

I think TouchID is the perfect use case for this.  You see, picking the child's apps quickly is the important part. If I need to sign in with a passcode, then switch a folder, then give the kid the iPad... well, that's a bit of a pain.  But if the child can just turn it on and play. Magic!

 

 

 

I don't think it's a case of Apple wanting to sell millions of devices, because people will just buy a bigger iPad and use profiles and Apple makes more profit on higher spec'd iPads. The issue is simply "you can't share an iPad".  Do you have kids? OK, get them to share an iPad... I don't care what kind of quick profile switching you have... it's going to be a screaming fest.  The best case scenario are games they can play together.  Also, I like the ability as a parent to not allow the child to have immediate access to the iPad without asking permission.  I think these are things Apple are considering when coming up with their proper solution.

 



I sometimes am fearful for the future of our society. I have managed to raise four kids who all behave very well in restaurants and have never given them my iPhone or iPad in a restaurant. Its called parenting. I do allow my kids to use these devices at appropriate times, but the dinner table, whether at a restaurant or at home, is not the appropriate time or place for tablet/phone useage.

 

Yeah, it's not like the good old days, when people were more social and would interact:-

 

 

;)

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #101 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

I can only assume you're one of them. And that's you're with an apostrophe, not your ...

"Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit”
post #853 on AI @ 10/14/13 2013 Mac mini wish list
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #102 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

WinMo was around for years before iOS and Android came on the scene, that excuse doesn't wash.


WinMo is not the same as Windows Phone now.  They are completely different OS's with a completely different development model.

post #103 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

WinMo was around for years before iOS and Android came on the scene, that excuse doesn't wash.


I just noticed that your reply is made even more curious by the fact that we were discussing Window RT - which is even further removed from WinMo than even Windows Phone 7.   Completely different kernel, completely different user space, completely different programming API.

post #104 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbi View Post
 


I just noticed that your reply is made even more curious by the fact that we were discussing Window RT - which is even further removed from WinMo than even Windows Phone 7.   Completely different kernel, completely different user space, completely different programming API.

 

Still it was Microsoft's product in the mobile marketplace and they had every opportunity to carry the "ecosystem" (such as it was) over with every iteration.

 

The fact is it took Apple to show them how it is done.

 

Dressing Microsoft up as a late arriver is still a poor excuse.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #105 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post
 

Exactly! I set up a different user on my iMac for my GF. And it is a pain. Every time I sit down at my iMac, I have to log her out and login. Hate it. We stopped doing it. It's awful.

 

Do yourself a favor, check this box:

 

System Preferences > Users & Groups > [  ] Show fast user switching menu as...

post #106 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post
 

Exactly! I set up a different user on my iMac for my GF. And it is a pain. Every time I sit down at my iMac, I have to log her out and login. Hate it. We stopped doing it. It's awful.

What about fast user switching?

post #107 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Ah, so now they have a "Scrappled" campaign to go along with their "Scroogled" ads. So good to see Microsoft take the high road. Think they might be just a little worried about both of them?

EDIT: I can't think of a single instance where a Google ad even acknowledged Microsoft's existence. To look good some companies feel they have to make their competitors look bad. Kinda speaks to the value of their own product don't you think?

Yeah, sure does I remember the Samsung ads.

post #108 of 119

"A 1 year old doesn't have proper finger prints."

Really? A 1 year still pisses & shits him/herself.

post #109 of 119
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

"A 1 year old doesn't have proper finger prints."

Really? A 1 year still pisses & shits him/herself.

 

Having what to do with anything?

CrapID: Just let it fly* all over your phone; it will sense whether or not it’s you.

*Neither AppleCare nor the standard Apple warranty covers moisture or particulate damage done to your device 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #110 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Yeah, sure does I remember the Samsung ads.

And the Motorola ads, the Xoom on during the SuperBowl one with the grey people on a train, then there was that address in Brooklyn one, can't remember if it was Google or Motorola showing Google maps, then there was the whole Verizon Droid thing $100,000,000 worth of ads extolling the virtues of "real" multitasking and Adobe Flash.

Then RIM was in on it too, that lame stunt in Sydney that backfired so bad that, at first people thought it was Samsung.

Nokia blogging about antenna gate when people discovered that the same "how to hold a handset" was printed in their manuals.
Edited by hill60 - 11/28/13 at 1:08am
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #111 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post
 

How does the logic of this statement work? Multiple User Profiles only works on paper because it doesn't work on the iPad, which doesn't have user profiles to begin with?

 

What I meant was that Multiple User Profiles only works when people don't want to use a device/computer at the same time.  When you have one iPad and two kids, one of the kid want to use the drawing program, while the other wants to play the spelling game, and tell them to "take turns" don't always work.

post #112 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPilya View Post

In my view, the second ad has teeth. I too would very much like to have profiles and more robust monitoring. I have given my 3 y/o my old iPhone 4 (sans sim card) and my old iPad 3 which we do share when I need it. While I have setup restrictions... overall its not implemented in a way to provide either the level of assurance or the level of practicality that I would expect. 

I’m curious exactly what “assurance” or “practicality” you find lacking in the implementation?

And I’m also curious, why do you need “more robust monitoring”? Do you need to review a running history of your 3 y/o’s keystrokes, spy-style? Isn’t enough to pop open “multitasking” to see which apps have been launched? Relaunch them to see what’s going on in-app? If it’s an older device, you can wipe whatever, leave what you like, block the rest… I don’t see any special ‘loopholes’ that could be a “danger” for a random-button-pushing 3 y/o that “profiles” are going to solve, much less more “spying”, oh excuse me, “monitoring”…

I’d still like to know exactly what you found “lacking”...
post #113 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I think this is probably a fundamental difference between the tablet philosophies rather than a reflection of technical hurdles.

The iPad seems to have been conceived and designed as a single-user device - similar to a smartphone - with an always on, continuously logged-in use model, and I suspect that it may be felt that it would dilute that model to provide explicit multi-user support. Microsoft, on the other hand, has continued to look for ways to make the Surface experience more, rather than less, like using a conventional computer.

Neither approach is necessarily wrong, but they are clearly different.

It is the right disctinction, I think.

My OSX devices have multiple accounts. My iMac and MacBook Air for example. That’s fine for personal computers, for one reason it doesn’t take a measurable perentage of the total storage to support a second account, including unique applications.

Something else lurking behind the scenes with the single-user vs multi-account approach: Licensing. To me that’s probably the biggest elephant in the room.

Licensing seems to have a very different set of models with mobile devices vs PCs.

Finally, as I said in an earlier post. I know people who “share” an iPad, a family with kids. It isn’t an optimum arrangement. They would prefer one for each if they could afford it. Since they can’t, they ‘schedule’ time for the kids. They’d have to do that anyway. And they guide and teach the kids where the boundaries are. By the way, theirs is a 16GB iPad 2. They’re always out of space as it is. How would they accommodate the extra data for multiple accounts?

I agree that iOS devices are more personal. I don’t want to “share” my iPad, or my iPhone. It’s a “personal device”, rather more so than a “personal computer” even. It’s OK to occasionally let someon else use it, play games or whatever. But “set up camp” on my iPad? No thanks!
post #114 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Wow, so incredibly non-compelling. Most people don't buy stuff based on feature comparisons, they buy on emotion. Apple's ads tell you, their products are cool, easy to use, fun, and creative. These ads tout features that are of limited appeal.

They’re going after the "Housewife In The Kitchen" demographic for sure.
post #115 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post
They’re going after the "Housewife In The Kitchen" demographic for sure.

 

Yeah, I guess they're going to have the "People who work in noisy kitchens on messy multi-page recipes, and have enough patience to learn how to use the hands-free gestures" market pretty much all to themselves. Somehow I think Apple will survive.

post #116 of 119

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Having what to do with anything?

CrapID: Just let it fly* all over your phone; it will sense whether or not it’s you.

 

Having to do with the inability of a 1 year old to control much in thier own world & he's worried about a 1 year old being able to use an iPad...did I miss something here? No, it was you.


Edited by Splif - 11/28/13 at 10:51pm
post #117 of 119
Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Having to do with the inability of a 1 year old to control much in thier own world & he's worried about a 1 year old being able to use an iPad...

 

Haha! Following it back I see what you’re saying. He’s more making the point that TouchID would be difficult for any children to use, thus removing (one aspect of) the multi-account option from multiple child households.

 

Oh, and the button you want is Quote, not Reply, in the bottom right. Reply does zilch; no idea why it’s there. Quote will capture the post you want. Cheers.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #118 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Haha! Following it back I see what you’re saying. He’s more making the point that TouchID would be difficult for any children to use, thus removing (one aspect of) the multi-account option from multiple child households.

 

Oh, and the button you want is Quote, not Reply, in the bottom right. Reply does zilch; no idea why it’s there. Quote will capture the post you want. Cheers.

Yeah...I missed the quote button so I just copied & pasted his comment. No harm. No foul. I just picture a one year old spastically slapping at a screen. I could be wrong, after all one year olds are known for their manual dexterity.


Edited by Splif - 11/28/13 at 11:10pm
post #119 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post


I’m curious exactly what “assurance” or “practicality” you find lacking in the implementation?

And I’m also curious, why do you need “more robust monitoring”? Do you need to review a running history of your 3 y/o’s keystrokes, spy-style? Isn’t enough to pop open “multitasking” to see which apps have been launched? Relaunch them to see what’s going on in-app? If it’s an older device, you can wipe whatever, leave what you like, block the rest… I don’t see any special ‘loopholes’ that could be a “danger” for a random-button-pushing 3 y/o that “profiles” are going to solve, much less more “spying”, oh excuse me, “monitoring”…

I’d still like to know exactly what you found “lacking”...

 

At this stage in his life, the monitoring would not need to be much... more or less the ability to glance at what was going on to see if I was missing something.

 

As for profiles... It would be very nice to have the ability to limit what apps show up, what he can do with them, and what times he can use them. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Microsoft's new Surface ad calls out iPad Air on 'hands free' gestures, multiple user accounts
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Microsoft's new Surface ad calls out iPad Air on 'hands free' gestures, multiple user accounts