or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS brings developers 5x more revenue per download than Android

Apple's iOS brings developers 5x more revenue per download than Android

post #1 of 67
Despite Android's significantly larger installed base, iOS continues to dominate in monetization with a five-times-greater return rate for developers -- a sign that Cupertino's market segmentation strategy is paying dividends for application creators.

iOS vs. Android revenue

For every $1.00 in app download revenue earned by iOS developers, their Android counterparts earn just $0.19, according to data compiled by Business Insider. The gap for up-front and in-app purchases is slightly narrower, with Android bringing in $0.43 for every $1.00 on iOS, while advertising revenue is the closest at $0.77 on the dollar.

The data, collated from several sources including app analytics firms Flurry and App Annie, is the latest evidence that while Android may be winning the battle for market share, Apple is winning the war for user engagement.
Apple customers use their devices more often and are more willing to pay for content.
Last month, a report from major Facebook advertising firm Nanigans said that ads on Apple's platform posted returns nearly 1,800 percent higher than the same ad running on Android. In fact, putting money into Android netted advertisers a negative return on investment, to the tune of a 10 percent loss.

"Audiences cost more on iPhone, and the reason is that it's worth it," Nanigans SVP Dan Slagen said at the time. "Typically, we're not looking to acquire one-time customers, we're looking to invest over time...so we pay more up front for better long-term results."

Time and again, studies have shown that Apple customers simply use their devices more often and are more wiling to pay for content. Web analytics firm Chitika found earlier this year that seven out of every eight internet-connected tablets was an iPad, while Flurry Analytics noted that iPhone users spend an average of 19 cents per app downloaded against just 6 cents per download for their Android counterparts.

Apps are not the only storefront where Apple dominates. The iTunes Store accounts for 67 percent of digital television purchases and 65 percent of digital movie sales, as well as 63 percent of the worldwide digital music market.
post #2 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Despite Android's significantly larger installed base, iOS continues to dominate in monetization with a five-times-greater return rate

I thought Android phones had the highest return rate ¡
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #3 of 67
I'm guessing all those millions trillions of wee Android powered TV dongles that activate as tablets and probably phones too, don't run many apps ... 1biggrin.gif

Woah ... just seen AAPL ... 1smoking.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #4 of 67

No one compares Mercedes or BMW's market shares to Toyota's. I glanced through Toyota's website the other day and counted some 25 different models. BMW may offer 10. And yet, there are places for both Toyota and BMW. Why don't everyone bash BMW? BMWs are more expensive, less reliable, have fewer choices, but the driving experience and the prestige make people feel it's a worthwhile car. When talk about cars, a BMW is compared to a Lexus. While do premium Apple phones are compared to all Android phones, ranging from $200 - $600? 

I'd like someone to come up with Apple's market share in the premium phone segment, those that cost $500 and up. Sure, you can sell a lot of cheap stuffs to a lot of cheap people, but you ain't making a lot from that.

post #5 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

No one compares Mercedes or BMW's market shares to Toyota's. I glanced through Toyota's website the other day and counted some 25 different models. BMW may offer 10. And yet, there are places for both Toyota and BMW. Why don't everyone bash BMW? BMWs are more expensive, less reliable, have fewer choices, but the driving experience and the prestige make people feel it's a worthwhile car. When talk about cars, a BMW is compared to a Lexus. While do premium Apple phones are compared to all Android phones, ranging from $200 - $600? 

I'd like someone to come up with Apple's market share in the premium phone segment, those that cost $500 and up. Sure, you can sell a lot of cheap stuffs to a lot of cheap people, but you ain't making a lot from that.

You are correct of course. DED wrote a great post a few weeks back on this. Statistics can be spun anyway these analysts and PR companies want and the masses eat them up as facts, Coke with low % sales versus all carbonated beverages on earth ... next to a graph of Pepsi YoY sales ... and so on ... meaningless, but shit like that seems to work. The question DED tried to answer was why do PR companies and analysts do this? My question is with Apple's money why don't they play the statics / PR game too? They would at least have truth on their side.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #6 of 67
So developers working on both iOS and Android are using money from the iOS app to pay for development of the Android app? Because basically this story is saying it's not worth it to develop on th Android platform. It's much more profitable to develop on the iOS platform.
post #7 of 67
Quote:

Apple has 75% of the profit share for phones over $500 (with Samsung at 30% and rest at negative, remember that Samsung makes significant profits from the low/mid end)

Apple has 95% of the profit share for tablets over $400

They absolutely dominate the high end.  PERIOD.

Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
Apple Purchases last 12 months - iPhone 5S (two), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+ (two), iPadAir, iPadAir2, iPadMini2, AppleTV (two), MacMini, Airport Extreme, iPod Classic.
post #8 of 67

The reason for this is simple:

Most people view Android phones as disposable so they don't want to commit to buying apps.

You buy apps on an Android phone and who knows if they will work on your next Android.

With Apple people know for a fact when they upgrade the apps they bought will still work.

post #9 of 67
A cursory glance at the top bar in the chart seems to say that overall developer revenue from Android is now nearly on par with iOS. I thought I remembered last year it was over 2:1 in favor of iOS. Am I misreading it? If not then perhaps by sheer numbers developers may very soon be seeing more overall revenue from Android vs. iOS. There's gotta be a "gotcha" in there someplace.
melior diabolus quem scies
post #10 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A cursory glance at the top bar in the chart seems to say that overall developer revenue from Android is now nearly on par with iOS. I thought I remembered last year it was over 2:1 in favor of iOS. Am I misreading it? If not then perhaps by sheer numbers developers may very soon be seeing more overall revenue from Android vs. iOS. There's gotta be a "gotcha" in there someplace.

The reading of the entire article rather than a cursory glance at one part of a diagram would probably help you grasp the iOS eco system's total dominance of Google's and its attempt to copy Apple's.
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #11 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The reading of the entire article rather than a cursory glance at one part of a diagram would probably help you grasp the iOS eco system's total dominance of Google's and its attempt to copy Apple's.
Business Insider offered no article to read. Simply a bar graph chart. 1rolleyes.gif

EDIT: I guess the chart copied from BusinessInsider is supposed to be a visual summation of several different articles posted on the net over the past year or so? I see they've sourced App Annie for one of the bar graphs, and Flurry for another. I've no idea who the source is for either the first or last graph claims and BI doesn't offer any other details.
Edited by Gatorguy - 11/27/13 at 8:57am
post #12 of 67

Eric Schmidt will not be happy 8-) 

post #13 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarez View Post

Eric Schmidt will not be happy 8-) 

This is precisely why Eric’s now laughable prediction that developers would be Android first and iOS second or not at all has not come to pass. He made that prediction two years ago, in December 2011. He was full of shit back then and still is.

post #14 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

This is precisely why Eric’s now laughable prediction that developers would be Android first and iOS second or not at all has not come to pass. He made that prediction two years ago, in December 2011. He was full of shit back then and still is.

And yet, his various postings receive broad attention and are more likely to be remembered as "true" by the majority of the general public, than any news about Apple ... unless it's negative. Drives me crazy seeing crap like this happen constantly, with very few writers/reporters making the effort to point out inaccuracies or flat-out lies. Real reporting has fallen by the wayside, all in pursuit of page views and clicks.

post #15 of 67
It's probably inherent in how Android and Apple devices are sold that iPhone users will use them more.

iPhone: Someone who uses their smartphone a lot, particularly for business and on the go, doesn't mind paying more for an iPhone, particularly since a two-year cellular contract quickly wipes out the price difference. They'll also buy more apps and spend more time online.

Android: On the other hand, someone who just wants a phone that sometimes does other things will go for a cheaper smartphone. That means Android. And they won't be as interested in buying apps or browsing online either.

I'm an illustration. I drive a 30 year-old Toyota. When I consider getting something newer, I quickly find myself asking "Why?" I don't drive much. Since I write out of a home office, driving isn't a part of my work. A newer car would add no value to my life. On the other hand, because do find quite a bit of value in having a smartphone, I've gone with an iPhone, although I've saved money by picking up a used 3gs.

At bit over a century ago, there was a politicized madness that inflicted many, including writers such as H. G. Wells. Society, they thought, was too higgly piggly, with an overabundance of choices. Why have hundreds of kinds of soaps, when four of five, designed and selected by experts, would do all that soap needs to do. For that, think cells phones, including smartphones.

That madness is returning with a vengeance in our day, particularly in anything connected with health as G. K. Chesterton warned long ago in his Eugenics and Other Evils. Healthcare choices, some think, need to be dictated from above with some plans regarded as too comprehensive and others as too minimal to be permitted. That's what lies at the root of all those finding out that an individual plan they like is being cancelled.

The same mindset can inflict digital devices. Some value openness and trumpet Android. Others want the least hassle and go with iPhones. And some silly people think this competition ought to have a clear winner. No, it shouldn't. Apple better fits the needs of some and Android those of others. No expert can ever decide which should be offered and which shouldn't.

Ditto that old Windows v. Mac v. Linux fuss.
post #16 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Apple has 75% of the profit share for phones over $500 (with Samsung at 30% and rest at negative, remember that Samsung makes significant profits from the low/mid end)

Apple has 95% of the profit share for tablets over $400

They absolutely dominate the high end.  PERIOD.

Wrong

post #17 of 67
Apple is doomed
post #18 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Wrong

I specificly said at the HIGH END for phones, which is $500 and up. 

That graph shows ALL PROFITS, including Samsung's low and midrange.

In fiscal year 2013 Apple sold over 150,000,000 iphones.  The great majority of them were over $500.

Samsung will barely sell 100,000,000 Galaxy phones.  And a big percentage of those were under $500 (Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, ect)

They probably sold 50,000,000 phones over $500.

Apple's average selling price for iPhones are much higher than Galaxy line.

Look at your graph.  Look at Q4 2012, and its HUGE gap.  That will happen again in Q4 2013.  You can't just take ONE quarter and assume that will be the norm. (the same Quarter the S4 came out) That's why I'm using fiscal YEAR 2013.

150,000,000 iPhones sold at ASP of $600

50,000,000 Samsung sold at ASP of $550

We all know Samsungs overhead is much higher than Apple per unit (advertising)

Their's your 75% profit share

Samsung just announced they shipped 40,000,000 Galaxy S4

http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-hits-40-million-sales-mark-ceo-jk-shin-insists-device-not-trouble-amid-slowing

Apple sold 150,000,000 total iPhones in Fiscal Year 2013.  Lets say 60% were iPhone 5.  Thats 90,000,000 iPhone5

40,000,000 vs 90,000,000.

Apple owns the top end in both phones and tablets. PERIOD.

Edited by sog35 - 11/27/13 at 10:36am
post #19 of 67
Quote:

I think someone recently did that and it was a LITTLE more accurate, but I think they needed to split it up into more categories and it might need to be done by price and by screen size.

I think why they don't do that is that it's too much trouble for these market analysts, you know how busy these guys are, any additional work is just too much for them.   /s

post #20 of 67
Quote:

Here's an article that suggests that 81% of the Android phones are just junky $215 smartphones, which is probably pretty close.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/11/12/idc-data-shows-66-of-androids-81-smartphone-share-are-junk-phones-selling-for-215

post #21 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

So developers working on both iOS and Android are using money from the iOS app to pay for development of the Android app? Because basically this story is saying it's not worth it to develop on th Android platform. It's much more profitable to develop on the iOS platform.
It doesn't say that at all. The article is about revenue and says nothing at all about costs. As long as revenue is greater than costs, it may be "worth it". There are probably differences in development costs which make direct comparisons difficult.

Even if costs are greater than revenue for one platform, it may still be a net win to do both. Cross platform is often a huge benefit even if some platforms don't support development through direct sales.
post #22 of 67
But but but Androiders love ads!
post #23 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by felipur View Post

It doesn't say that at all. The article is about revenue and says nothing at all about costs. As long as revenue is greater than costs, it may be "worth it". There are probably differences in development costs which make direct comparisons difficult.

Even if costs are greater than revenue for one platform, it may still be a net win to do both. Cross platform is often a huge benefit even if some platforms don't support development through direct sales.

I think it's trying to explain why developers have the iOS first strategy as there is more money in it.  Some don't even develop for Android.  Plenty of those examples.   I can rattle off plenty of apps that are only available on iOS and it's for both a technical reason and a market choice reason.

Example, if you look at the professional and prosumer music creation/production market, there are companies like Mackie that don't make products for Android, they only make them for iOS.  Check out the DL1608 and DL806, which will probably get updated for the newer iPads as they will require a different physical design to accommodate the case designs.  These use a special app written for iOS that doesn't work with anything else. 

MoogMusic basically writes all of their apps for iOS and I think they might have one or two for Blackberry, and then they have apps for traditional OS X and Windows, but not Windows RT or Android.  Those two are not on the list.

I think the main reason is that iOS has CoreAudio functionality and Android doesn't have anything like that.  So, for the apps that would use CoreAudio, you probably won't see those types of apps on Android, ever or at least until Android decides to implement something similar that the music creation/production industry wants to use.

It's too bad there isn't a website that tracks all of the apps on every platform and has a database we can look up as to which apps are only written for iOS.  

post #24 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

And it's got to be FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! since most of the Android users have or don't spend much money since they are CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAP.

post #25 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Here's an article that suggests that 81% of the Android phones are just junky $215 smartphones, which is probably pretty close.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/11/12/idc-data-shows-66-of-androids-81-smartphone-share-are-junk-phones-selling-for-215

Citing DED is rarely a good choice when trying to support an argument.

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
post #26 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

DED was citing market research.  Seriously, it was just that information from market research in the article that I'm referring to and citing you for anything is far more pointless at least DED has market research on that article, where's yours?

post #27 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

QFT

post #28 of 67

Infinity Blade 3.

End of discussion.

With the A7 chip and A8 chip next year we will see a ton of console game makers shift their focus to iOS.  With a fragmented Android it will not be worth it to develop games when only 10% of the users have KitKat while everyone else has 2-3 year old OS that won't run the games correctly.

post #29 of 67
Quote:

Adsnoids you mean?

post #30 of 67
Quote:

Lets be honest here... Most of the money isn't made selling apps, nor is it made selling ads.  The money today is in selling in app purchases, and suckering people to pay money to avoid doing stupid repetitive tasks in games.... 

So what this article is saying is that Apple users are far more likely to waste money on smurfberrys.  From a business point of view, it's brilliant.  From a user standpoint it speaks volumes and doesn't exactly put apple users in a positive light.

Phil

post #31 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarez View Post

Eric Schmidt will not be happy 1cool.gif  

That is okay. He can drink whiskey until he gets Schmidt-faced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Correction: "full of Schmidt"
post #32 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgar View Post

Lets be honest here... Most of the money isn't made selling apps, nor is it made selling ads.  The money today is in selling in app purchases, and suckering people to pay money to avoid doing stupid repetitive tasks in games.... 

So what this article is saying is that Apple users are far more likely to waste money on smurfberrys.  From a business point of view, it's brilliant.  From a user standpoint it speaks volumes and doesn't exactly put apple users in a positive light.

Phil

how else are games free?  They need to make money some how.  I think its brillant to let people play the game for free and if they really like it they 'pay' for it by in app purchases.  Sure beats buying a game in the old days, finding out it sucks and not being able to return it.  I remember saving months to buy a Nintendo game.  Only to find out the game sucked and I could not return it.

post #33 of 67
Quote:

Phil

This article doesn't mention Smurfberrys, so where did you come up with that flawed argument?

Also, you said "most of the money isn't made selling apps, then you say that money today is in selling in app purchases."  what do you mean by those statements?

If you look at demographics, Apple iOS users are "GENERALLY" have higher incomes, older, and higher education levels.  There is also more iOS users that are business professionals or in specific industries that use iOS products that will buy apps, since some of those aren't free apps like Doctors, Lawyers, Musicians, pilots, video production, scientists, teachers, etc. etc.   Apple just sells to a different crowd that spends MONEY.  IOS devices are more prevalent in schools/colleges/government and businesses than Android.

I've been looking at the $1 Million on up housing market for $hits and grins and every home that lists a home automation system, they mention iOS based and not Android based.  When I look at the higher end audio systems, it's pretty much iOS, OS X, and full Windows, but mostly I see iPads being used along with MacMinis, that seems to be the most popular.  They will spend money on 3rd party apps.

post #34 of 67
Quote:

how else are games free?  They need to make money some how.  I think its brillant to let people play the game for free and if they really like it they 'pay' for it by in app purchases.  Sure beats buying a game in the old days, finding out it sucks and not being able to return it.  I remember saving months to buy a Nintendo game.  Only to find out the game sucked and I could not return it.

You can return a paid app within 15 mins.

Micro transaction games SUCK. Rather pay for full game up front.

post #35 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

This article doesn't mention Smurfberrys, so where did you come up with that flawed argument?

Also, you said "most of the money isn't made selling apps, then you say that money today is in selling in app purchases."  what do you mean by those statements?

Lets see, go to the iOS app store and look at the Top Grossing apps.  Under this list, you'll see pages of "free" apps.  It's not until number 19 that there's a single "paid" app on the list.  In the top 100 there are a total of 6 applications that aren't "free"... I could continue on from there, but it's pretty clear that most of the money is made using freemium apps (it's possible that ads make up a non-insignificant chunk of revenues, but that seems highly unlikely).  Even amongst the paid apps, many offer in app purchases, and likely make a large chunk of their money that way.

As far as the argument that in app purchases are better than the old method of having to buy stuff... I disagree.  You used to be able to rent games, try them out first.  A large portion of games with in app purchases are made to waste people's time... The goal is to get people addicted to mindless gameplay so that they spend money to AVOID playing the game.  The publisher's goal is not to make the game fun, but rather to find ways to extract more money from the user.  I've had an ipad for almost two years now, and I can't really say I've seen many good games come out for it, they're all freemium crap.

So yes, I think I'll stand by my argument that what this article really shows is that iOS users are more likely to waste money on smurfberrys than android users.  Some of them have more money (as you argued), that's also clear because iOS has a higher market share in the USA, europe etc than it does in poorer countries.  

Phil

post #36 of 67
Quote:

Infinity Blade 3.

End of discussion.

With the A7 chip and A8 chip next year we will see a ton of console game makers shift their focus to iOS.  With a fragmented Android it will not be worth it to develop games when only 10% of the users have KitKat while everyone else has 2-3 year old OS that won't run the games correctly.

Mike tyson punch out is more exciting and took more skills

post #37 of 67
Quote:

Phil

Got any proof of those claims of yours?  Have you seen any numbers of percentage of shares coming from in-apps purchase vs store purchases? Besides at the end it doesn't matter which payment model developers chooses as long they (big or small) can make profit with their work.  

Androids is not a profitable platform for the majority of third party developers, most Androids users will never do a transaction with google store. 

post #38 of 67
Quote:

Phil

Really? One man's trash is another man's treasure. I'm sure you've spent $$$ on items many people consider junk...like Android phones.
post #39 of 67
Quote:

Lets see, go to the iOS app store and look at the Top Grossing apps.  Under this list, you'll see pages of "free" apps.  It's not until number 19 that there's a single "paid" app on the list.  In the top 100 there are a total of 6 applications that aren't "free"... I could continue on from there, but it's pretty clear that most of the money is made using freemium apps (it's possible that ads make up a non-insignificant chunk of revenues, but that seems highly unlikely).  Even amongst the paid apps, many offer in app purchases, and likely make a large chunk of their money that way.

As far as the argument that in app purchases are better than the old method of having to buy stuff... I disagree.  You used to be able to rent games, try them out first.  A large portion of games with in app purchases are made to waste people's time... The goal is to get people addicted to mindless gameplay so that they spend money to AVOID playing the game.  The publisher's goal is not to make the game fun, but rather to find ways to extract more money from the user.  I've had an ipad for almost two years now, and I can't really say I've seen many good games come out for it, they're all freemium crap.

So yes, I think I'll stand by my argument that what this article really shows is that iOS users are more likely to waste money on smurfberrys than android users.  Some of them have more money (as you argued), that's also clear because iOS has a higher market share in the USA, europe etc than it does in poorer countries.  

Phil

How can a FREE app be a top grossing app?  100,000,000 copies of something that cost $0, is still $0.   I don't know how a bunch of Free games should even be listed as a top grossing app in the first place.

I think a little more in depth view of the apps that sell into different markets is a better way to analyze this.

Market share can be viewed a ton of different ways and to draw assumptions by just one viewpoint doesn't always give the proper picture of what's REALLY going on.  That's why superficial market research is not the best way to draw assumptions which is what you are doing.

And what color is the sky?  If you asked that question from 50 people spread around the world, they'll give you a different answer depending on the time of day/night, weather conditions, etc.

post #40 of 67
Quote:

I've had an ipad for almost two years now, and I can't really say I've seen many good games come out for it, they're all freemium crap.

If you are into games, here a list of original games created because of iOS:

Angry Birds,

Bad Piggies

Zen Bound

Temple runs

The Room

Contre Jour

Badland

Fruit Ninja

Infinity Blade

Real Racing

Asphalt

Pocket Frog

Gunner Z

Here is a list of games or type of games ported on the iPad

Tetris

Bejewels

GTA

Deadspace

Civilization

X-Com

Needs for speed

Final Fantasy series

Plants VS Zombies

Sudoku

Cards and mahjong games

Pinballs machines

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iOS brings developers 5x more revenue per download than Android