or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5s, 5c take 76% share of Japanese sales in October, including 61% on NTT DoCoMo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone 5s, 5c take 76% share of Japanese sales in October, including 61% on NTT DoCoMo

post #1 of 45
Thread Starter 
Apple's new iPhones are big in Japan, taking a 61 percent share of NTT DoCoMo smartphone sales and a 76 percent share of overall sales during the month of October.



The statistics, reported by Kantar World Panel via Twitter, indicate strong demand for the new phones both across Apple's existing carrier partners and the country's largest carrier, one that just began carrying iPhones this season after years of losing subscribers while backing alternative devices from Samsung.

November 26, 2013


NTT DoCoMo lost 3.2 million users over the past four and a half years as rivals SoftBank (Apple's original partner) and KDDI stole away its customers. Carriers on both sides credited (or blamed) Apple's iPhone for the migration of subscribers.

Intense competition between the three major carriers at the launch of the new iPhone 5s and 5c resulted in blockbuster sales, despite increasingly strident efforts by Samsung to market its phones as serviceable alternatives this summer.

Ginza Apple Store typhoon
Japanese customers brave the wind and rain of a typhoon while lining up to be among the first to purchase an iPhone 5s during the phone's September launch.


Japan never hated the iPhone



Japan's embracing of Apple's latest products comes nearly five years after Wired published an article by Brian X Chen that sought to establish that the Japanese market "hated" the iPhone because Softbank was offering it with promotional pricing.

The piece cited a journalist in Japan as praising the nation's domestic products by local firms such as Panasonic, and attributed to him comments that called the iPhone "an outdated handset compared to Japanese cellphones" and said it would make a person look "pretty lame" to carry one around. "I think most Japanese think iPhone is the coolest item. At least I have and love iPhone," Nobi Hayashi

However, Nobi Hayashi, the journalist cited by Wired, subsequently clarified that he didn't make the comments attributed to him, and actually had explained to Chen that the desired narrative he has selected for the story in advance of writing it was mistaken.

"I think most Japanese think iPhone is the coolest item. At least I have and love iPhone," Hayashi wrote. Wired later issued a correction, after first editing Chen's article multiple times to change the attribution of various quotes. It finally admitted that Chen made up the "pretty lame" quote himself.

Wired wasn't alone in crafting a story about Apple's supposed failure in Japan. Hayashi noted that local newspaper Sankei Shimbun had tipped off reports by publishing an expectation that Softbank would sell one million iPhones during its initial launch period, even though neither Apple nor the carrier had made any prediction of sales.

Yukari Iwatani Kane iPhone


Prior to Chen's article, Yukari Iwatani Kane, writing for the Wall Street Journal, cited numbers from MM Research and quoted an analyst as saying, "the iPhone is a difficult phone to use for the Japanese market because there are so many features it doesn't have."

Kane also discussed lofty sales expectations from unnamed analysts who were said to "widely believe sales are unlikely to reach a total of 500,000 units. That is half the one million units that they previously thought Apple could sell."

Kane even dismissed the iPhone's App Store, writing that it "hasn't taken hold as much in Japan, where consumers tend to be more cautious about making purchases online," but offered no factual basis for that claim. In reality, the App Store has seen tremendous success in Japan from the begining.

The Wall Street Journal report was widely syndicated despite being inaccurate and misleading, and helped to create a longstanding meme that "Japan hates the iPhone," an idea Wired helped to advance for additional months.

By early 2010, MM Research was reporting that Apple was selling 72 percent of all smartphones in Japan.
post #2 of 45

This confirms my belief that Japanese people value honor, craftsmanship, and beauty.   Everything that Apple is and Samdung isn't.  I've never seen a Japanese person sport an ugly 6 inch plastic Samdung POS.

 

My Grandmother is 100% Japanese and she would always pay extra to get the better product.  She would rather have nothing than compromise and buy an imitation product.

 

Funny how Apple dominates markets that have alot of money and education?  While Samdung fleeces poor and uneducated markets by bombarding them with endless advertisements and paid shrills.

 

2014 will be the year Samdung will be exposed for what they truly are.  A second rate company that rose to prominence because of copying. 

post #3 of 45

I wonder how many people stand out in a hurricane lining up for the latest Samsung phone? Not saying that it's the smartest thing to do though.

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #4 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

Funny how Apple dominates markets that have alot of money and education?  While Samdung fleeces poor and uneducated markets by bombarding them with endless advertisements and paid shrills.

...and that is why brand S is so popular here in .US  <sigh>

post #5 of 45

Why aren’t investors calling for inquiries into Android sales/shipments? Why isn’t this happening? We see these numbers. They can’t all add up. Someone has to say something.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #6 of 45
Chen to find new employment at Gizmodo?
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #7 of 45
Since the 5C is a "failure", we can infer the 5S takes 75% while the 5C takes 1%. Still, combined < 100%. That, my friends, spells doom!!! /s
post #8 of 45
When I was stationed in Japan all the US military members and contractors that working on the base pretty much had iPhones. I loved it because it was easy to share info and once iMessage and FaceTime came online things just got better. A lot of Japanese people not associated with the US military also had them more and more. SoftBank was king for having the iPhone. I had an unlimited talk and text plan for $80 dollars. I wish it was that cheap here in the US. I bought my phone outright there and now I do the same here.

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

Reply

2010 15" MBP, iPhone 5 64GB, New iPad 64GB LTE, (2) ATV 2nd Gen

Reply
post #9 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGOO View Post
 

...and that is why brand S is so popular here in .US  <sigh>

 

what brand is that? Samsung?

 

Apple outsells Samsung 3 to 1 (top end smartphones) in America

post #10 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

2014 will be the year Samdung will be exposed for what they truly are.  A second rate company that rose to prominence because of copying. 

You're so sadly mistaken. Samsung didn't pop up overnight, they were a major player in the cell phone business before Apple even thought about making one. Look at the sales numbers, their iPhone clone sold in laughable numbers, but it wasn't until they offered something different from Apple starting with the SGS 3 and an extreme marketing blitz that helped them reach the 'prominence' they have now.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #11 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

Why aren’t investors calling for inquiries into Android sales/shipments? Why isn’t this happening? We see these numbers. They can’t all add up. Someone has to say something.

Actually no one has to say anything.  And chances are they probably won't.

post #12 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

what brand is that? Samsung?

Apple outsells Samsung 3 to 1 (top end smartphones) in America

That may be true, but how much does Samsung outsell everyone else? They’re number 2 but how far back is number 3 and 4. They don't have to beat Apple they just have to beat everyone else and they're kicking the snot out of Motorola, HTC, LG, etc....
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #13 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


You're so sadly mistaken. Samsung didn't pop up overnight, they were a major player in the cell phone business before Apple even thought about making one. Look at the sales numbers, their iPhone clone sold in laughable numbers, but it wasn't until they offered something different from Apple starting with the SGS 3 and an extreme marketing blitz that helped them reach the 'prominence' they have now.

 

$900,000,000 disagrees with you.

 

Home button - check

Full touch screen - check

Pinch to zoom - check

 

Its been proven in court that Samdung copied and benefited greatly.

 

Look what they have done without copying Apple - Galaxy Gear and Stylus Pens. Pathetic.

post #14 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why aren’t investors calling for inquiries into Android sales/shipments? Why isn’t this happening? We see these numbers. They can’t all add up. Someone has to say something.

We all see the earning reports every quarter. They might lie about the shipped/sales numbers but they cannot lie about how much money they made. That's what investors seemingly care about. I say seemingly because Amazon continues to lose money and it's stock just continues to rise.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #15 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

$900,000,000 disagrees with you.

Home button - check
Full touch screen - check
Pinch to zoom - check

Its been proven in court that Samdung copied and benefited greatly.

Look what they have done without copying Apple - Galaxy Gear and Stylus Pens. Pathetic.

What you listed was not part of the trial, and not what Apple claimed Samsung copied. All the phones have pinch to zoom and that's going to be a hard feature to sue on simply because there's more than one patent. Other manufacturers were already developing touch screen phones when the iPhone came out so it was exactly a innovative novel idea.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #16 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


You're so sadly mistaken. Samsung didn't pop up overnight, they were a major player in the cell phone business before Apple even thought about making one. Look at the sales numbers, their iPhone clone sold in laughable numbers, but it wasn't until they offered something different from Apple starting with the SGS 3 and an extreme marketing blitz that helped them reach the 'prominence' they have now.

Samsung was making Windows Mobile and Symbian phones before the iPhone appeared. It was most famous for its "BlackJack" copy of of the BlackBerry. The company didn’t ever not copy. 

 

And no, in 2010 the year they cloned the iPhone 3GS, their profits more than doubled, and just kept increasing as they cloned the iPad and every Apple app and the packaging and accessories and retail store designs and ads. Trying to say Samsung developed some original design as the basis for its success just makes you look foolish. 

post #17 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Chen to find new employment at Gizmodo?

He was at Wired through 2011, then started writing for the (ahem) NY Times.

post #18 of 45
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
They might lie about the shipped/sales numbers but they cannot lie about how much money they made. That's what investors seemingly care about.


So won’t the investors be complicit in the lies when a government inquiry finds the shipped/sold numbers are an utter fabrication?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #19 of 45
I wonder how much marketshare NCC DoCoMo lost over the years by not offering the iPhone until now?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #20 of 45

I know it's anecdotal, I asked my 15 year old niece if she sees more iPhones or Androids at her high school? She said, iPhones.

post #21 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This confirms my belief that Japanese people value honor, craftsmanship, and beauty.   Everything that Apple is and Samdung isn't.  I've never seen a Japanese person sport an ugly 6 inch plastic Samdung POS.

My Grandmother is 100% Japanese and she would always pay extra to get the better product.  She would rather have nothing than compromise and buy an imitation product.

Funny how Apple dominates markets that have alot of money and education?  While Samdung fleeces poor and uneducated markets by bombarding them with endless advertisements and paid shrills.

2014 will be the year Samdung will be exposed for what they truly are.  A second rate company that rose to prominence because of copying. 

Nicely said.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #22 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I wonder how much marketshare NCC DoCoMo lost over the years by not offering the iPhone until now?

Like VZW, they were probably out gaining their losses but it wasn't until this year that they actually started feeling it. It's also most likely why they gave up trying to pre install bloatware.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #23 of 45

"Outch" (Eric Schmidt) 

post #24 of 45

Kane ,  Chen,  NYT  WSJ,  et al.    will no doubt repeat their nefarious efforts with rumors of poor iPhone sales Chine Mobile.

Can't wait !  /s

post #25 of 45
Thank you, Daniel Dilger for your remembering and archiving and strategically reproducing old articles that highlight the folly and deception that so many "hit-whore journalists" inaccurately throw out as "factual reports" over time that so often prove to be deceptive, grossly inaccurate, and frequently even invented or dishonest. You manage to expose so many blatantly inaccurate stories and pundits over many, many years. (So many of them deserve to have their careers ruined. And the same goes for a lot of the financial analysts fraternity as well!). Thank you SO much for your great international research and well-written reporting which so aids cleaning up the tech press and serves to try to keep them honest! With respect to THAT mission, YOU and writers like Philip Elmer-Dewitt will NEVER be out of work, unfortunately.
post #26 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Samsung was making Windows Mobile and Symbian phones before the iPhone appeared. It was most famous for its "BlackJack" copy of of the BlackBerry. The company didn’t ever not copy. 

And no, in 2010 the year they cloned the iPhone 3GS, their profits more than doubled, and just kept increasing as they cloned the iPad and every Apple app and the packaging and accessories and retail store designs and ads. Trying to say Samsung developed some original design as the basis for its success just makes you look foolish. 

Believing that their success is solely based on them copying Apple is what's foolish. Yes they fooled some people into buying the SGS 2 but they didn't fool anyone into buying a SGS 3 because they thought it was a iPhone. I did not know a single person with a SGS 2 but I know many with the SGS 3 and some were previous iPhone owners and when I ask why they switched the answer was never "because it's so much like the iPhone" it was "because it's different from the iPhone"
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #27 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This confirms my belief that Japanese people value honor, craftsmanship, and beauty.   Everything that Apple is and Samdung isn't.  I've never seen a Japanese person sport an ugly 6 inch plastic Samdung POS.

My Grandmother is 100% Japanese and she would always pay extra to get the better product.  She would rather have nothing than compromise and buy an imitation product.

Funny how Apple dominates markets that have alot of money and education?  While Samdung fleeces poor and uneducated markets by bombarding them with endless advertisements and paid shrills.

2014 will be the year Samdung will be exposed for what they truly are.  A second rate company that rose to prominence because of copying. 

Totally agree. Japanese people are totally classy! High fashion lovers, good taste, hard workers. I am a greek, i have nothing to do with Japan, but i love and appreciate this country's spirit!
post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Believing that their success is solely based on them copying Apple is what's foolish. Yes they fooled some people into buying the SGS 2 but they didn't fool anyone into buying a SGS 3 because they thought it was a iPhone. I did not know a single person with a SGS 2 but I know many with the SGS 3 and some were previous iPhone owners and when I ask why they switched the answer was never "because it's so much like the iPhone" it was "because it's different from the iPhone"

 

Samsung’s copycat marketing and IP appropriation created in impression that Samsung phones were equivalent to Apple’s iPhone. Once you do that, it’s easy to introduce some original gimmicks and make arbitrary changes and then pretend that you earned your own success. Just ask Microsoft.

 

That said, there is no real market data showing that iPhone users migrated to Samsung devices in any significant numbers. The reality is that Symbian/WiMo/Palm users and lots of feature phone and new users began buying (or getting for free) Samsung phones because Samsung heavily marketed its products as being "pretty much an iPhone" to a generation of new users.

 

It wasn’t Android attracting them, and it wasn’t Samsung’s UI layers or other features, all of which have been copied by other companies that are not successful. Samsung stood out from the Android offerings because it was created and marketed as an Android-based iPhone clone.

 

Anyone can cite anecdotes about what their friends think, but that doesn’t mean much because anyone can say anything in insignificant numbers.  

post #29 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Samsung stood out from the Android offerings because it was created and marketed as an Android-based iPhone clone.

On this point I disagree, before the SGS 3 Samsung phones were not the Android device of choice, Motorola and HTC were, and never once did I see Samsung advertise any of their devices as "pretty much like an iPhone", and if you have a link of proof I'd like to see it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #30 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Porter View Post

Thank you, Daniel Dilger for your remembering and archiving and strategically reproducing old articles that highlight the folly and deception that so many "hit-whore journalists" inaccurately throw out as "factual reports" over time that so often prove to be deceptive, grossly inaccurate, and frequently even invented or dishonest.

 

On the other hand, who give a rat's ass what Chen wrote about the iPhone some 5 years ago? That's about a half-century in gadget years.

post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
 

 

On the other hand, who give a rat's ass what Chen wrote about the iPhone some 5 years ago? That's about a half-century in gadget years.

Not the point.       Chen is the tool ( one of many)  feeding a mass of publishing whores and their chase for advert $ driven by a negative news slant that pervades the media.  

post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
 

 

On the other hand, who give a rat's ass what Chen wrote about the iPhone some 5 years ago? That's about a half-century in gadget years.

 

It’s not an example of a mistake, it’s an example of setting out to write a particular story, interviewing sources that tell you that you are wrong and provide conflicting information, and then going ahead with a story you know is wrong, embellished with false quotations that say somebody in another country is saying what you’d have liked them to say. 

 

Seeing that every openly presented gives you some insight into how blog-journalism works. Ignoring it as old history means you get to repeat it in ignorance of how the game is played. 

 

If you don’t give a "rat’s ass" about facts or realty, there are plenty of sites crafting bullshit you can peruse in order to remain falsely informed.  

post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


On this point I disagree, before the SGS 3 Samsung phones were not the Android device of choice, Motorola and HTC were, and never once did I see Samsung advertise any of their devices as "pretty much like an iPhone", and if you have a link of proof I'd like to see it.

 

Why don’t you just go Google "Samsung packaging" and look at pictures yourself? I don’t think you need to be spoon fed anything.

post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Why don’t you just go Google "Samsung packaging" and look at pictures yourself? I don’t think you need to be spoon fed anything.

I didn't say that they didn't copy. They absolutely did, the charger, the packaging, amongst others, and do you honestly believe that someone bought a SGS 3 because the charger and packaging is like Apple's? Furthermore that's not the point I'm arguing. I believe that Samsung's success in the last 2 years or so has not been because they copied Apple but more so because of how they're different.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #35 of 45

I have been living in Japan since 2005 and I remember the debut of the iPhone 3G here. It was a dud. For all the reasons mentioned in the cited WSJ and Wired articles. Japanese really liked and used features like NFC, TV tuners, Japanese SMS/MMS, carrier based web browsing and Japanese cell phone games. I believe this is why Softbank, the exclusive carrier at that time, stopped charging for the base model iPhone after just several months of its debut in 2008. Softbank has continued to offer free iPhones (the latest model or in the case of the 5c, free phone plus an extra $50 or so) to this day, and the other two iPhone carriers in Japan have followed the same pricing scheme.

 

However, the Japanese may have preferred their old cell phones, but now they have fallen in love with the iPhone and other smartphones. The features they wanted in their phones have been replaced with usable or superior alternatives. NFC is replaced with IC embedded cards, over the air TV with youtube, messaging with app based messaging (Line), carrier based web with the Internet, and favorite cell phone games are ported to the app store. In addition, Japanese used to pay a lot for premium services like GPS, videos and games via monthly subscription to the carrier. Now they can get them free or through a one time app purchase and use them without additional cost, since most people have flat-rate unlimited (throttled after 7GB) data plans for about $65 a month. So yes, Japanese love the iPhone today, but I don't think they did when it debuted.

post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejikame View Post
 

I have been living in Japan since 2005 and I remember the debut of the iPhone 3G here. It was a dud. For all the reasons mentioned in the cited WSJ and Wired articles. Japanese really liked and used features like NFC, TV tuners, Japanese SMS/MMS, carrier based web browsing and Japanese cell phone games. I believe this is why Softbank, the exclusive carrier at that time, stopped charging for the base model iPhone after just several months of its debut in 2008. Softbank has continued to offer free iPhones (the latest model or in the case of the 5c, free phone plus an extra $50 or so) to this day, and the other two iPhone carriers in Japan have followed the same pricing scheme.

 

However, the Japanese may have preferred their old cell phones, but now they have fallen in love with the iPhone and other smartphones. The features they wanted in their phones have been replaced with usable or superior alternatives. NFC is replaced with IC embedded cards, over the air TV with youtube, messaging with app based messaging (Line), carrier based web with the Internet, and favorite cell phone games are ported to the app store. In addition, Japanese used to pay a lot for premium services like GPS, videos and games via monthly subscription to the carrier. Now they can get them free or through a one time app purchase and use them without additional cost, since most people have flat-rate unlimited (throttled after 7GB) data plans for about $65 a month. So yes, Japanese love the iPhone today, but I don't think they did when it debuted.

 

Meanwhile in Australia, I got my iPhone 3G free on a 24 month plan because that's the way we (used) to do things over here.

 

There was nothing unusual about Softbank adopting such a model.

 

Now we follow a semi-American model with handset payments added over the life of the contract for a lot of phones with only the cheaper ones for free.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejikame View Post

I have been living in Japan since 2005 and I remember the debut of the iPhone 3G here. It was a dud. For all the reasons mentioned in the cited WSJ and Wired articles. Japanese really liked and used features like NFC, TV tuners, Japanese SMS/MMS, carrier based web browsing and Japanese cell phone games. I believe this is why Softbank, the exclusive carrier at that time, stopped charging for the base model iPhone after just several months of its debut in 2008. Softbank has continued to offer free iPhones (the latest model or in the case of the 5c, free phone plus an extra $50 or so) to this day, and the other two iPhone carriers in Japan have followed the same pricing scheme.

However, the Japanese may have preferred their old cell phones, but now they have fallen in love with the iPhone and other smartphones. The features they wanted in their phones have been replaced with usable or superior alternatives. NFC is replaced with IC embedded cards, over the air TV with youtube, messaging with app based messaging (Line), carrier based web with the Internet, and favorite cell phone games are ported to the app store. In addition, Japanese used to pay a lot for premium services like GPS, videos and games via monthly subscription to the carrier. Now they can get them free or through a one time app purchase and use them without additional cost, since most people have flat-rate unlimited (throttled after 7GB) data plans for about $65 a month. So yes, Japanese love the iPhone today, but I don't think they did when it debuted.

It seems to me it was liked as well as a foreign CE could be liked from the start.

This is from March 2009, which is within the first year of the iPhone being launched in Japan. "All that's clear is that while the iPhone might not be a strong player in Japan's mobile culture – and with no built-in TV, no multimedia messaging it's not a surprise - it seems that plenty of Japanese people like it well enough. Not as exciting, but probably a bit more realistic."

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #38 of 45

Good news piece. And thanks, DED, for bringing up Brian X Chen and his invented iPhone hit piece. If he had simply made an honest mistake in his research, correcting it as soon as the error was found, that would have been cool; forgive and forget, right? But he dishonestly made stuff up. He lied and passed it off as news, irking misquoted bloggers in Japan and causing WIRED to issue an apology. Yet amazingly, I see his name popping up here and there as a quoted "news" source again, even in Mac-related sites. Glad to see you put out this reminder of why Brian X Chen is a name to mistrust. 

 

But on to a comment:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post
 

This confirms my belief that Japanese people value honor, craftsmanship, and beauty... I've never seen a Japanese person sport an ugly 6 inch plastic Samdung POS.

 

Er, smart shoppers anywhere value honor, craftsmanship, and beauty. Nothing "Japanese people" about it. And here in Tokyo, there are plenty of people with big Samsung or similar phones. There are DoCoMo phones everywhere - which, until recently, were everything but iPhones. Samsung, LG, plenty of Japanese makes. There are all kinds of phones in people's hands on the trains: some pretty nice smartphones, lots of Samsung-y creaky plastic models, and still a fair showing of old non-smart flip-phones (many sharp-looking, some clunky).

 

Plus, of course, lots of iPhones. Really, no contrived cultural explanations are needed to explain the iPhone's success here in Japan. It's a good product with a great ecosystem, backed by reliable service and successful marketing by Softbank (and later au and DoCoMo), in a market affluent enough to look beyond the cheapest price tags. That explains it.

post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

I wonder how many people stand out in a hurricane lining up for the latest Samsung phone? Not saying that it's the smartest thing to do though.

I believe a few stood out in the latest typhoon to return Samsung not-so-smart watches....
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I didn't say that they didn't copy. They absolutely did, the charger, the packaging, amongst others, and do you honestly believe that someone bought a SGS 3 because the charger and packaging is like Apple's? Furthermore that's not the point I'm arguing. I believe that Samsung's success in the last 2 years or so has not been because they copied Apple but more so because of how they're different.

To your point: While Samsung has differentiated their physical product from Apple's after slavishly copying it in the beginning, Their UI still includes a lot of Apple's patented features... so they are still copying Apple where it counts.
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's iPhone 5s, 5c take 76% share of Japanese sales in October, including 61% on NTT DoCoMo
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's iPhone 5s, 5c take 76% share of Japanese sales in October, including 61% on NTT DoCoMo