or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy Note, HTC One caught cheating in benchmarks again
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung Galaxy Note, HTC One caught cheating in benchmarks again - Page 2

post #41 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

From cheated on benchmark tests? You expect a bunch of cheaters to catch other cheaters?

This isn't AppleOutsider.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #42 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They clearly think there is an upside that outweighs the downsides but I certainly don't see it. It might the just be immature programmers that think that also think that speeding for a few miles down an open highway is worth a ticket costing a few hundred dollars. I say this because it's not universally done across any vendor and there are clearly a lot more phones that don't employ this foolish technique, however it's almost always the higher-end and/or devices with the most mindshare coming out of the gate that have shown to be doped for the benchmark tests.

Could it be these tests a big deal outside of the US? Most people do not choose one phone over another because one can open a app a split second faster.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #43 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post
 

They did not cheat, it's called ondeman or poweruser settings on the Cpu, Gpu. When it detects intense applications and games it reaches maximum frequencies. Just like a 4WD, when it uses torque where and when.


Must say users in appleisider are so clueless and dumb. Anandtech users are much more critically more advanced, like appleinsider users to. Go knowledge your brain more befor posting nonsensical bogus posts.

Whats wrong when the Cpu, Gpu detects heavy loads? It's called smart programing. More like an advanced. Wouldn't you want something that can detect when thiers a lot of demanding tasks are opened or being active.

 
note 3 is the best also is one of the best in battery life 

 

They got caught cheating and breaking the rules.

 

http://www.futuremark.com/support/benchmark-rules

 

The referee's decision is final, harden up and accept that no Android phone is a match for Apple's 5s with it's innovative 64bit processor, OS and software.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #44 of 165

how many of you can see the cpu and process that goes on on apple iPhone 

ohh you cant see anything that the system does 

 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7384/state-of-cheating-in-android-benchmarks

post #45 of 165

innovation on 64 bit 

 

or the race to be the first to release it maybe you should do some research on 64bit mobile processing 

post #46 of 165
Wilson Dur = ddriver?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #47 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post
 

They did not cheat, it's called ondeman or poweruser settings on the Cpu, Gpu. When it detects intense applications and games it reaches maximum frequencies. Just like a 4WD, when it uses torque where and when.


Must say users in appleisider are so clueless and dumb. Anandtech users are much more critically more advanced, like appleinsider users to. Go knowledge your brain more befor posting nonsensical bogus posts.

Whats wrong when the Cpu, Gpu detects heavy loads? It's called smart programing. More like an advanced. Wouldn't you want something that can detect when thiers a lot of demanding tasks are opened or being active.

 
note 3 is the best also is one of the best in battery life 

 

Even allowing that this poster is clearly not a native English speaker, the irony of this post is spectacular. I strongly recommend that we all avail ourselves of this singular opportunity to knowledge our brains, before the inevitable fate soon befalls this intellectual behemoth and it joins the unfortunate legions of the banned.

post #48 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post
 

innovation on 64 bit 

 

or the race to be the first to release it maybe you should do some research on 64bit mobile processing 

 

OK, I'll just pop down to a store and buy one then, let's see...

 

1. Apple iPhone 5s

2.

 

Can you give me a hand, I'm stuck with only one option?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #49 of 165
Boy has Samsung been taking a beating the last half of 2013.

- Obama VETO'd their injunction against Apple.
- Apple's own injunction against Samsung was upheld.
- On appeal Apple gets another chance at an injunction on the Apple/Samsung trial.
- Apple had their main multitouch patent all but confirmed by the USPTO after reexamination.
- They gave to pay Apple another $290 million.
- They lost on their pathetic attempt at a stay in the same retrial.
- They got caught sharing confidential Nokia/Apple info and look to get sanctioned.
- In pre-trial hearings over next Springs trial Apple has been dominating Samsung.
- Got caught cheating once, then again.
- Got delisted and shamed by Futuremark.
- Got caught paying bloggers to post fake reviews. More than once.
- Got caught trying to enlist developers to AstroTurf for them.

Did I miss any?

Edited: I mean 2013.
Edited by EricTheHalfBee - 11/27/13 at 6:50pm

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #50 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Boy has Samsung been taking a beating the last half of 2012.

- Obama VETO'd their injunction against Apple.
- Apple's own injunction against Samsung was upheld.
- On appeal Apple gets another chance at an injunction on the Apple/Samsung trial.
- Apple had their main multitouch patent all but confirmed by the USPTO after reexamination.
- They gave to pay Apple another $290 million.
- They lost on their pathetic attempt at a stay in the same retrial.
- They got caught sharing confidential Nokia/Apple info and look to get sanctioned.
- In pre-trial hearings over next Springs trial Apple has been dominating Samsung.
- Got caught cheating once, then again.
- Got delisted and shamed by Futuremark.
- Got caught paying bloggers to post fake reviews. More than once.
- Got caught trying to enlist developers to AstroTurf for them.

Did I miss any?

 

Sued by Dyson for stealing vacuum cleaner designs.

 

At least their chairman hasn't been convicted of anything recently, so he doesn't need a pardon from the government Samsung owns.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #51 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post
 

yes you are so perfect because you own a iphone 

 

i own a galaxy s4 too don't use it though because it's junk

 

i also have punctuation and caps keys and not using them just like you

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #52 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

i own a galaxy s4 too don't use it though because it's junk

 

i also have punctuation and caps keys and not using them just like you

im sorry but what can the iphone do that you cant do on the s4 

 

you cant make call, text,browse the web or something 

post #53 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post
 

im sorry but what can the iphone do that you cant do on the s4

 

you cant make call, text,browse the web or something

 

Run 64 bit Apps, of which there is a growing list available that offer real and tangible benefits that no Android device can enjoy.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #54 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
 

 

Run 64 bit Apps, of which there is a growing list available that offer real and tangible benefits that no Android device can enjoy.

wow that alot 

post #55 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post
 

wow that alot

 

Plus my daughters can mix down 32 tracks of digital audio into a 2 track master. Android is so useless in this regard it can't properly handle 2 tracks of audio, let alone 4, 8, 16 or more. Nor can Android handle MIDI.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #56 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post

im sorry but what can the iphone do that you cant do on the s4 

Allow me to buy a new iPhone a year later with nothing out of pocket.

Allow me to have a battery that lasts all day without having to micro-manage services, offer an excessively large battery or under-throttle apps (except in benchmarks) in order to achieve this goal.

Allow me to only ever power-cycle my phone when there is an update instead of several times a day.

Allow me to get a device from a carrier that isn't riddled with 3rd-party crapware.

Allow the best developers and best apps (usually first) because it offers the best SDK and App Store.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #57 of 165
How can they tell if it's boosting specs for benchmarks only? Could it be that it is boosting for all graphic and CPU intensive applications?
post #58 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
 

 

Plus my daughters can mix down 32 tracks of digital audio into a 2 track master. Android is so useless in this regard it can't properly handle 2 tracks of audio, let alone 4, 8, 16 or more. Nor can Android handle MIDI. You want to keep going? I can do this all day, troll.

http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html

 

do some research b4 you talk bs 

 

android has more support of both video and audio right out the box unlike ios

post #59 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

How can they tell if it's boosting specs for benchmarks only? Could it be that it is boosting for all graphic and CPU intensive applications?

There are two ways and they are both quite simple.

One way is to check the code to look that tells the CPU and/or GPU to disable thermal limits when certain tests are detected. The other way, in case that smoking gun isn't found, is to simply run a test with a standard benchmark app, then run it again after changing the signature of the app. If the thermal limits are removed on after using a unique signature then the previous benchmark was doped.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #60 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Allow me to buy a new iPhone a year later with nothing out of pocket.

Allow me to have a battery that lasts all day without having to micro-manage services, offer an excessively large battery or under-throttle apps (except in benchmarks) in order to achieve this goal.

Allow me to only ever power-cycle my phone when there is an update instead of several times a day.

Allow me to get a device from a carrier that isn't riddled with 3rd-party crapware.

Allow the best developers and best apps (usually first) because it offers the best SDK and App Store.

battery life u faill http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/11/25/ios-7-0-4-problems-continue-surface/

 

oh yes you are so perfect 

post #61 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post

battery life u faill http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/11/25/ios-7-0-4-problems-continue-surface/

That's a SW bug affecting some users. I was not affected by that bug on any of my devices but even if I was it's still a bug and not a result of inefficient HW or poorly considered trade-offs.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #62 of 165
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
From cheated on benchmark tests? You expect a bunch of cheaters to catch other cheaters?

 


Yes, it’s the government’s responsibility to protect its citizens from wrongful and malicious advertisement.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #63 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post



Yes, it’s the government’s responsibility to protect its citizens from wrongful and malicious advertisement.

Then every auto maker would be in trouble, because most cars do not get the advertised MPG, oh and I've never gotten a fast food sandwich that looks as good as they do in commercials. I could go all night on wrongful advertisements.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #64 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I thought you were joking because if Apple was doing this there would be some Senator that would expect Tim Cook to personally tell him why Apple does this (and then he'd ask him why he can't see his grandkids shared photos in the Camera app).

This is not something the government will ever be involved with. The companies that manage the tests will do a fine job of killing results from anyone that dopes their scores but even then the vendor does has a right to alter how their system work on different conditions so this is purely an ethical and not a legal issue.

Ethical sure, but probably breaks benchmarks terms of usage which pushes on legal front. You know how you can't just 100% freely use free software (Linux)? There are restrictions.
post #65 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgh71 View Post

Ethical sure, but probably breaks benchmarks terms of usage which pushes on legal front. You know how you can't just 100% freely use free software (Linux)? There are restrictions.

It does break the contractual agreement, which is a legal matter but that's still a civil issue.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #66 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post

http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html

do some research b4 you talk bs 

android has more support of both video and audio right out the box unlike ios

Funny when an idiot troll tries to sound intelligent but makes themselves look stupid. Nothing in your link even applies to my comment. Would you like to try again? Perhaps you need to read my post very carefully to make sure you understand it before responding. Then I won't have to clean up the coffee I spit over my monitor from laughing out loud at your post.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #67 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

How can they tell if it's boosting specs for benchmarks only? Could it be that it is boosting for all graphic and CPU intensive applications?

Please. Doyou even know what Samsung did? They specifically checked for certain benchmark Apps and modified the performance when they ran. No user would ever see that performance in a game or other App since the phone only runs "wide open" for certain benchmarks. Even after this was discovered Samsung still had the nerve to claim they weren't cheating.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #68 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post
 

im sorry but what can the iphone do that you cant do on the s4 

 

you cant make call, text,browse the web or something 

 

Yeah, you can look at your photo gallery on an S4 as well as an iPhone. Except on the S4 it takes 2 minutes to open.

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #69 of 165

"keep drinking you apple juice "

 

duh, huh huh...me funny, drool.


Edited by Splif - 11/27/13 at 9:00pm
post #70 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post

how do you know apple is not cheating, clearly you cant see anything that goes on on the cpu

So, Samsung gets caught doctoring the numbers (more than once). Following your logic, there could be even more cheating going on by Samsung because we can't see anything the CPU is doing?

post #71 of 165
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Then every auto maker would be in trouble, because most cars do not get the advertised MPG

 

The, uh… EPA puts that information out.

 
…I’ve never gotten a fast food sandwich that looks as good as they do in commercials.

 

I don’t believe there are regulations as to the appearance of food, simply the advertised content and quality, though I could be wrong.

 
I could go all night on wrongful advertisements. 

 

All of which would be fallacies designed to detract from the original purpose. “Hasn’t, therefore irrelevant when doesn’t” is the base form of said response, I believe. Just like another (not relevant) would be “Is when x, therefore is when y,” you see? Or “Since x often, presently, x.”

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #72 of 165
Yea, the NEW Samsung commercial spokesman = Lance Armstrong!
post #73 of 165
Lance Armstrong can now get an endorsement contract from Samsung to pay his lawyers.
post #74 of 165
I love posting this stuff on their facebook page. Of course most wont see it, but there is always a few that comment on it. 1biggrin.gif

My all-time favorite facebook-sammy-moment is though, when they asked what device you would take to a deserted island (portraying a Galaxy in front of an exotic island) and about 90% of the several thousand replies said "iPhone".
post #75 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post

They did not cheat, it's called ondeman or poweruser settings on the Cpu, Gpu. When it detects intense applications and games it reaches maximum frequencies. Just like a 4WD, when it uses torque where and when.

Ok troll, so why did these products post lower benchmarks when the benchmark app was renamed or the internal link was changed?
The fact is, these products looked to see if it was running a benchmark app and increased the CPU speed. When it didn't know, it posted a lower score.
If these products automatically detected intense use, the scores would have been the same.

How do you think the benchmark companies realised?
post #76 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

So when is the government going to get involved here?

I hope you're being sarcastic.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil

 

Completely and utterly irrelevant here. This is literally the government’s job: to protect its citizens. Enough of your purposefully confrontational BS.

and I see you're not. Protect it's citizens!? From what? the evils of a benchmark? Come on man.


Edited by 3Eleven - 11/28/13 at 8:16am
post #77 of 165

This is no different than Lance Armstrong and steroids. Lance also had a lot of support for many years and only recently when the full truth and scope of what he had done came out did that support begin to falter. Unless Samsung plans to allow those over clocked speeds for all apps all the time they are cheating plain and simple. They will not allow those speeds for other apps because they know it would likely  fry the CPU and also reduce the battery life in half. Unfortunately like the last time this cheating was revealed it didn't seem to gain much traction. I think there are a lot more misinformed people out there that think the Note 3 leaves the iPhone 5s and all other Android phones in the dust simply off of raw specs and these faulty benchmarks. 

post #78 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
 

This is no different than Lance Armstrong and steroids. Lance also had a lot of support for many years and only recently when the full truth and scope of what he had done came out did that support begin to falter. Unless Samsung plans to allow those over clocked speeds for all apps all the time they are cheating plain and simple. They will not allow those speeds for other apps because they know it would likely  fry the CPU and also reduce the battery life in half. Unfortunately like the last time this cheating was revealed it didn't seem to gain much traction. I think there are a lot more misinformed people out there that think the Note 3 leaves the iPhone 5s and all other Android phones in the dust simply off of raw specs and these faulty benchmarks.

Your average consumer does not care about Geekbench, Futuremark, etc. Heck they don't even know what they are. Glad they have been removed from the apps database but it won't matter in the long run.

post #79 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Eleven View Post
 

Your average consumer does not care about Geekbench, Futuremark, etc. Heck they don't even know what they are. Glad they have been removed from the apps database but it won't matter in the long run.

I wish you were right but even if the average consumer might not be aware of these benchmarks the carrier store reps make sure and let them know the "Note 3 is the fastest phone". I will give you an example, I happened to stop by a local Verizon store the other day because I was with a friend that needed to take care of something with his account. While I was waiting on him I looked at the Note 3 and a rep started trying to get me to buy one. I pretended like I didn't know much about smartphones just to see what he would say and I mentioned I was debating between the Note 3 and iPhone 5s and he gave me a long speech about how much faster the Note 3 was in benchmarks and talked about the 3GB of memory vs. 1GB and also the faster CPU. I doubt this was an anomaly and lots of people are told about these benchmark lies by sales reps all over the country so it does matter. 

post #80 of 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Eleven View Post
 

I hope you're being sarcastic.

 

and I see you're not. Protect it's citizens!? From what? the evils of a benchmark? Come on man.

 

From false, misleading and deceptive advertising actually, I believe they call them consumer protection laws, most countries have them.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy Note, HTC One caught cheating in benchmarks again