or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple widens lead over Android in worldwide ad impression share, now twice as large
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple widens lead over Android in worldwide ad impression share, now twice as large

post #1 of 57
Thread Starter 
For the third quarter of 2013, worldwide ad impressions recorded from devices running Apple's iOS doubled those from rival Android, one report says, once again suggesting higher Web engagement from iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users.

Ad Share
Source: Adfonic


According to fresh data from ad buying platform and mobile DSP Adfonic, Apple's iOS accounted for 63 percent of all global impressions during quarter three, a three percent boost from the quarter previous. Despite having a vastly larger marketshare, Android dipped six points to finish the three-month period with a 32 percent ad impression share.

With iOS and Android dominating the field, third place BlackBerry came up with a three percent ad impression share, followed by Windows Phone at 0.9 percent and Java at 0.8 percent. Microsoft's mobile platform managed to improve by 13 percent quarter-to-quarter, but its marketshare is still insignificant.

As can be expected, Apple was the number one manufacturer, followed by Samsung, which held steady at 20 percent. The rest of the ad impression pie was broken into small pieces. HTC and BlackBerry held a three percent share each, while LG, Nokia and Sony Ericsson all logged a two percent marketshare. Below the one-percent mark was Sony, Motorola, Amazon.

Ad Share


Broken down by device, Apple's iPhone generated a huge 35 percent of all ad impressions, while the iPad followed with a 21 percent share and the iPod touch hit third with six percent. A sprinkling of Samsung products trailed the Apple pack. The Galaxy S3 managed only three percent, the S2 hit two percent and the Galaxy Ace and S3 mini brought one percent each.

Finally, Apple's iPhone and iPad were the top performers in their respective mobile device and tablet categories, boasting marketshare of 49 percent and 76 percent, respectively.
post #2 of 57
once again suggesting higher Web engagement from iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users

I guess the cheaper devices running Android are given to kids to play offline games. Which kinda makes sense, as apparently some people don't want to hand over their iOS device to a kid since there is no multi-user support.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #3 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

once again suggesting higher Web engagement from iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users

I guess the cheaper devices running Android are given to kids to play offline games. Which kinda makes sense, as apparently some people don't want to hand over their iOS device to a kid since there is no multi-user support.

perhaps more android devices run adblock software than do ios devices?
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
Reply
post #4 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

perhaps more android devices run adblock software than do ios devices?


Hahaha!
post #5 of 57

What?  

 

Android has the overwhelmingly dominant market share, and yet, Apple has the overwhelmingly dominant worldwide ad impressions?

 

Okay that defies common sense, or am I just wildly off here?

 

Someone spends $200 on a tablet and doesn't use it?

 

Even a user who only checks email, plays Candy Krush, and Googles stuff is still going to be using their tablet a LOT.

 

You don't have to play the latest 64 bit games to be on your tablet for hours just reading the news and posting on social sites/services.

 

I personally wonder if the market share numbers for Android are not wildly inaccurate.

 

If Android tablet market share is actually WAY smaller than reported, then these ad impression numbers make much more sense.

 

I trust the ad numbers more than the market share numbers personally.  Advertisers pay based on these numbers.

 

Just a thought!

post #6 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post


perhaps more android devices run adblock software than do ios devices?

 

Not since they disappeared from Google's play store, part of their "walled garden" clean up.

 

It's due to the majority of Android's market share coming from people who buy cheap, low end handsets and only use them for voice calls and text.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #7 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

once again suggesting higher Web engagement from iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users

I guess the cheaper devices running Android are given to kids to play offline games. Which kinda makes sense, as apparently some people don't want to hand over their iOS device to a kid since there is no multi-user support.

Not only are iOS users more active online than Android users, but they are also far more affluent and therefore more desirable to advertisers.  Companies will pay a premium to reach iOS users.  The majority of Android users are very poor, in developing countries.  No advertisers are trying to reach them, therefore they see far fewer ads.  

post #8 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by starxd View Post

Not only are iOS users more active online than Android users, but they are also far more affluent and therefore more desirable to advertisers.  Companies will pay a premium to reach iOS users.  The majority of Android users are very poor, in developing countries.  No advertisers are trying to reach them, therefore they see far fewer ads.  

I think surveys show iOS users have whiter teeth and clearer skin too.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #9 of 57
@ Wilson Dur,

It is now clear you have no intention of maintaining civil and mature discourse. Your posts have been flagged for trolling.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #10 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post
 

do you know how much it cost to make a iphone 5s 

 

It's about 4000 SPBU*, isn't it?

 

*Samsung paid blogger units, a new form of currency which will be bigger than bitcoin.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #11 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think surveys show iOS users have whiter teeth and clearer skin too.

What of it?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #12 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

@ Wilson Dur,

It is now clear you have no intention of maintaining civil and mature discourse. Your posts have been flagged for trolling.

lol weaklinks 

 

Don't be silly. He didn't post any links.

post #13 of 57
Smarter and better educated too.
post #14 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by starxd View Post

Not only are iOS users more active online than Android users, but they are also far more affluent and therefore more desirable to advertisers.  Companies will pay a premium to reach iOS users.  The majority of Android users are very poor, in developing countries.  No advertisers are trying to reach them, therefore they see far fewer ads.  

Apple ][, is that you?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post

poor loll

do you know how much it cost to make a iphone 5s 

keep drinking that apple juice your phone is also made by 13 years old 

Ohhh how I miss Tallest Skil being a moderator right now.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #16 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post
 

What?  

 

Android has the overwhelmingly dominant market share, and yet, Apple has the overwhelmingly dominant worldwide ad impressions?

 

Okay that defies common sense, or am I just wildly off here?

 

Someone spends $200 on a tablet and doesn't use it?

 

Even a user who only checks email, plays Candy Krush, and Googles stuff is still going to be using their tablet a LOT.

 

You don't have to play the latest 64 bit games to be on your tablet for hours just reading the news and posting on social sites/services.

 

I personally wonder if the market share numbers for Android are not wildly inaccurate.

 

If Android tablet market share is actually WAY smaller than reported, then these ad impression numbers make much more sense.

 

I trust the ad numbers more than the market share numbers personally.  Advertisers pay based on these numbers.

 

Just a thought!

Yes, 

 

This is great news for Apple and is devastatingly bad news for Google and Samsung. I wonder if WS, investors and the media will realise and take notice?

 

This data is consistent with all other web usage data I have seen i.e that despite the increasingly exaggerated and desperate claims from Google  about Android activations, iOS is increasing its dominance of web usage, while Android's declines.

 

Google's whole strategy has been to give away Android for free so that they could data mine and place adverts on mobile devices. To this end they stabbed Steve Jobs in the back, slavishly copies iOS, alienated Apple by their treachery and lost their favoured status on iOS devices. Google's strategy can now be be seen to be a total failure. Apple totally dominates mobile web usage and now Facebook is attacking Google too with mobile social media.

 

TABLETS

The evidence is quite clear that Strategy Analytics, IDC, Gartner and others have massively exaggerated the number of "genuine" Android tablets shipped or actually sold. As has been exposed by the forensic analysis of DED and Ben Smith, the great majority of Android tablets shipped are either nothing more than Android USB chips (which Google bizarrely registered as tablets) or are cheap, ultra low specification white box devices which shut out Google from data mining and from placing adverts and are themselves shut out from Google Play, and which are either used as TVs or are so low spec that they are incapable of normal tablet usage such as web browsing , emails, shopping or clicking on adverts etc.

 

Chitika's web usage data has consistently shown that iPads totally dominate the North American market with over 80% share of impressions. Now this data from Adfonic confirms that globally the iPad has 76% share of Ad impressions.

 

This leaves just 24% web usage shared amongst all other tablets.

 

This 76:24 ratio represents the true relative user base of "genuine" tablets which actually do compete with the iPads.  A  total of 172m iPads have beens sold, which means that around 54 million other "genuine" tablets  have actually been sold and are being used. However this includes forked Android Kindles, which are useless for Google.

 

The remaining phantom Android tablets shipments conjured up by Strategy Analytics, IDC, Gartner and others are totally irrelevant in terms of competition for iPads or as platforms for Google  to place their adverts.

 

SMARTPHONES & OTHER MOBILE DEVICES

According to Adfonic iPhones have 49% the web usage share. Amazingly the iTouch has another  8.6% which is MORE than both Samsung's Galaxy S3 (4.8%) plus the S4 LTE (1.8%) plus the Galaxy Note 2 (0.9%) COMBINED.

 

This suggest that in fact FAR MORE iPhones and FAR FEWER Galaxy smartphones and Notes have actually been sold and are being used than the exaggerated shipments numbers estimated by Strategy Analytics, IDC, Gartner and others.

 

Of course, there are those that argue that for some reason Android smartphone users surf the web far less than iPhones. However, given that Galaxies have such huge screens, supposedly much better for web usage than the smaller screens of iPhones, this is not very plausible explanation.

 

However, if it is true that for some reason iPhones are used much more than Androids, then this shows why iPhones customers are so much more valuable both for carriers (hence they larger subsidies for iPhones) and for advertisers.

 

Another confirmation of just how much more valuable are iOS users comes from analysis of Facebook data by Nanigans, who found that Facebook advertisers see nearly 18 TIMES BETTER RETURNS on iOS than Android.

post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post


perhaps more android devices run adblock software than do ios devices?

Just so you know, the entire Android platform is advertisement-subsidised. Meaning that browser ad impressions/clicks and in-app ads make the lion’s share of revenues going to Google’s coffers from the platform. So what you imply is akin to a meat shop handing flyers promoting vegetarian lifestyle in front of their shop.  

post #18 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

What?  

Android has the overwhelmingly dominant market share, and yet, Apple has the overwhelmingly dominant worldwide ad impressions?

Okay that defies common sense, or am I just wildly off here?

Someone spends $200 on a tablet and doesn't use it?

Android has replaced the basic flip-phone.

Nowadays... people around the world are buying phones and they happen to be running some version of Android. That means they get counted in Google's activation numbers... even if they are only used for voice and text.

That might explain why Android can have 80% market share... but have very little online engagement.

I also think you're underestimating the huge number of Android phones sold in parts of the world that might not have good 3G access. Again... there's probably not much web browsing, ad impressions or app downloads happening there.

They just bought a phone to be a phone... and it just happens to be running Android.

"Android market share" includes ALL phones running Android: from the $50 phone sold in a developing nation... to a $600 flagship phone.

There may be a lot of Android smartphones out in the world... but they're not all being used as smartphones.
post #19 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Not since they disappeared from Google's play store, part of their "walled garden" clean up.

It's due to the majority of Android's market share coming from people who buy cheap, low end handsets and only use them for voice calls and text.

Walled gardens are only evil when Apple does it.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

perhaps more android devices run adblock software than do ios devices?

The standard apologist meme is "user-agent string"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #21 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

once again suggesting higher Web engagement from iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users

I guess the cheaper devices running Android are given to kids to play offline games. Which kinda makes sense, as apparently some people don't want to hand over their iOS device to a kid since there is no multi-user support.

Aren't the majority of white box Android devices are sold in Asia as an inexpensive media player loaded with pirated content? Why would they ever use the those things to surf the web? They got a PC running a pirated copy of Windows for that.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #22 of 57
Even low-end users surf the web and use email, so how can all those cheap Asian white-box tablets not be showing much online footprint? Even video and book content comes from the web. And it's not just about ads: other metrics show the same conundrum.

The Cubed podcast explained a pretty persuasive theory on this question: these super-cheap Android tablets selling in Asia are used primarily as viewers of pirated video content--the same way VideoCDs were once popular there. This content is installed by SD card or USB sticks which are sold (or get your own loaded up from a laptop) all over. No Internet connection needed to obtain content nor view it.

Essentially, a huge number of Android "tablets" may actually be Android in name only: they're just media players, using neither apps nor the web.

That could be a big part of the answer.
post #23 of 57
maybe this is not a case of which platform uses the mobile web browser more than the other, but a hint towards the reality that the reported Samsung smartphone "shipments" (not sales) are a crock of s$%& and Apple really holds the lion share of the market.
post #24 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think surveys show iOS users have whiter teeth and clearer skin too.

Purely based on personal observations I'd say that's true. Once the Android users get past puberty they'll improve hopefully.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
Reply
post #25 of 57

billions and billions and billions of activations........of TV dongles

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #26 of 57
Adfonics eh? Sammy forgot to bribe that one
post #27 of 57
This study shows Apples significant leadership over Android, the Ad-OS of Googles Ad-Kingdom. No, I want to choose a device for money and not a cheap device that Google can steal data from.
post #28 of 57
Nowadays, Android phones are sold in place of dumb phones to customers who do not have data plans. I guess quite a bunch of Android phones will rarely if ever browse the net%u2026
post #29 of 57
Ha ha! The search for the missing Android devices is starting to sound like the search for the universe's missing mass. Wonder what will be found first, dark matter or dark androids?
post #30 of 57
According to fresh data from ad buying platform and mobile DSP Adfonic, Apple's iOS accounted for63 percent of all global impressions during quarter three, a three percent boost from the quarter previous.

 

Surprise.

 

I imagine the numbers will be even more heavily in Apple's favor when they roll out their real TV solution.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Surprise.

I imagine the numbers will be even more heavily in Apple's favor when they roll out their real TV solution.

I disagree, the longer they take the more people will grow accustomed to using competing services.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #32 of 57
Yes indeed, it is an ad driven future.

Ads + Freemium apps is where it is all at. Bit obviously if you can continue to have your cake an eat it, then those offshore stocks assets are snuggling up big time.
post #33 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I disagree, the longer they take the more people will grow accustomed to using competing services.

That worked so well with smart phones and tablets. Oh wait, smart phones have been out for several years prior to the iPhone and tablets have been out for 10 years prior to the iPad.
post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

That worked so well with smart phones and tablets. Oh wait, smart phones have been out for several years prior to the iPhone and tablets have been out for 10 years prior to the iPad.

The big difference being that with the iPhone Apple entered into a small smartphone market, and with the iPad a almost nonexistent tablet market, but the TV set market is saturated. Can Apple make a set so vastly superior to what already exists that people will replace their current TV with Apple's?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Can Apple make a set so vastly superior to what already exists that people will replace their current TV with Apple's?

Hell yes! The current way it works sucks so much I don't even bother turning the damn thing on anymore. I do watch an entire series after it has aired, but that is without all the hassle TV brings as it currently works, with commercials, set times etc.

Tim was right when he said he felt like going back 30 years in time when turning on the TV. This needs to be completely rethought. And looking at what Samsung, Google and others produce as products and services they will never be able to create it. I truly think only Apple can. They have the potential.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #36 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Hell yes! The current way it works sucks so much I don't even bother turning the damn thing on anymore. I do watch an entire series after it has aired, but that is without all the hassle TV brings as it currently works, with commercials, set times etc.

Tim was right when he said he felt like going back 30 years in time when turning on the TV. This needs to be completely rethought. And looking at what Samsung, Google and others produce as products and services they will never be able to create it. I truly think only Apple can. They have the potential.

Most of us rarely use the UI that comes on the TV. Once the cable box/media streamer/gaming console. is set up the most we hit on the original remote is the A/V and volume buttons. What good is a Apple TV if it's great UI is nullified by other devices?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #37 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Most of us rarely use the UI that comes on the TV. Once the cable box/media streamer/gaming console. is set up the most we hit on the original remote is the A/V and volume buttons. What good is a Apple TV if it's great UI is nullified by other devices?

Good point. Perhaps they don't need to create the whole set (with the panel) but 'just' expand on the current AppleTV box. But in my view the current 'shit experience' isn't limited to the technical side of it, it's also the way these channels work. I'd rather have a 'smart Vimeo' kind of setup: great content, on demand, with some sort of Siri / Spotlight / Smart folders integration.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
post #38 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Good point. Perhaps they don't need to create the whole set (with the panel) but 'just' expand on the current AppleTV box. But in my view the current 'shit experience' isn't limited to the technical side of it, it's also the way these channels work. I'd rather have a 'smart Vimeo' kind of setup: great content, on demand, with some sort of Siri / Spotlight / Smart folders integration.

Apple would need to either replace the set top box or perfect the 'cable card'. I would love nothing more to see Apple disrupt the industry but the realist in me believes it's not going to be a easy accomplishment.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

once again suggesting higher Web engagement from iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users

I guess the cheaper devices running Android are given to kids to play offline games. Which kinda makes sense, as apparently some people don't want to hand over their iOS device to a kid since there is no multi-user support.

Having two children ages 2 and almost 6 I can say that I have never had an issue with that or even cared about it. But, I have became quite good at changing screens on iPod touches. I just put the 4th screen on a 4th gen this week. We try to keep the protective covers on, but when the little kids get them off - the drops take a toll. Still, $25 is way less than the $400 the 64GB cost.

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

Having two children ages 2 and almost 6 I can say that I have never had an issue with that or even cared about it. But, I have became quite good at changing screens on iPod touches. I just put the 4th screen on a 4th gen this week. We try to keep the protective covers on, but when the little kids get them off - the drops take a toll. Still, $25 is way less than the $400 the 64GB cost.

I agree. Software wise there real isn't any need for multi her support if you want it to hand it over to your child. Just put on the restrictions. Hardware protection is certainly needed as children don't know the value of materials/money.

$400 huh? That's on contract! I paid $1222 for mine - off contract. I think in the end I'll better off.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple widens lead over Android in worldwide ad impression share, now twice as large