or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPhone, iPad used to place over 80% of mobile sales on Black Friday
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's iPhone, iPad used to place over 80% of mobile sales on Black Friday - Page 2

post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
 

We shouldn't believe IBM. They said pretty much the same thing last year (iOS dominating Android for online sales on Black Friday).

 

So? Why? The second statement doesn't support the first. You have to provide something to support your assertion to have even a semblance of credibility. All you've asserted here is that you don't believe them, but not why. You've said nothing of substance here.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
 

It's impossible that iOS, with such a small market share, can do so well against all those Android devices. Equally impossible is the data IBM provided that said the average iOS user spent $131 while the average Android user spent $111.

 

Even assuming the "marketshare" claims for Android are in fact representative, "impossible" is a very absolute term. Had you said "unlikely", that might've carried your argument a little, but as it stands, you've got nothing as I can prove your first statement false with a simple edge-case scenario. Assuming iOS has anything more than zero marketshare, if only one iOS device was used to make an online purchase, then it could still be responsible for more purchases (absolutely or as a percentage) than Android if Android devices were used to make none. The second statement is also unsupported and as easily proved false, so you've done nothing but make a null statement.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
 

There are only two possible reasons for this discrepancy:

 

- IBM is being sponsored by Apple, so the numbers are "adjusted" to make Apple look good.

- All those Android owners changed their user agents, and IBM's analytics is too stupid to notice.

 

First of all, one can easily generate hypotheticals all day long (not just two), so that's just false to say there's only two possibilities. Next, the first "reason" could as easily say Google is being supported by Android, so the numbers are "adjusted" to make Google look good. However, without support, it's just a hypothetical with no weight. Third, without proof and only the numbers in the article (which is all you have), even in the best-case (and wholly unlikely) scenario for your second "proof", the entirety of the 63% other mobile purchases were in fact attributable to Android users who changed their user agent, bringing the total mobile purchasing to ~69.7% for Android versus 30.3% for iOS. Ignoring the absolute lunacy of this argument, as this implies that approximately 90% of all Android users change their user agent, how do you support the assertion with the data at hand and the support you've provided (which is nothing)?

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
 

Here are some quotes from Jay Henderson from IBM in regards to how they get their data:

 

"We are able to determine the source of online retail shopping traffic, where sales are coming from, breakouts between devices (tablets versus smartphone), and even differences between operating systems (Apple vs. Android),"

 

"For example, in the early part of November, IBM noticed that even though Android devices have a greater market share, online shopping was dominated by consumers using iPhones, indicating device market share doesn’t necessarily translate into shopping behavior."

 

"In contrast, the IBM Digital Analytics Benchmark campaign uniquely provides real-time, detailed results by channel and device. This enables marketers and retailers to adjust their plans on-the-fly in a way they have never been able to do before."

 

Can you believe the garbage he's spewing? The only company that can provide that kind of real-time data is Google. Not Apple, MS or even IBM. Proof that they were paid by Apple to come up with these fake numbers.

 
Do you realize all those quotes do nothing to support your position? Do you also realize that IBM is in fact one of the heavyweights in the "Big Data" world? Moreover, do you realize that IBM's CoreMetrics is arguably superior to Google Analytics for enterprise data of the nature of what's being discussed here?
 
As for the assertion that only Google can provide this data, that is patently false and verifiably so. What it does do, is suggest an inability or unwillingness on your part to leverage actual fact in the argument. However, it does not prove anything else.
---
So it seems what you're left with when one disregards the irrelevant, unsupported, unverifiable and/or patently false statements you've made, is this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

A pity, you could've saved yourself a lot of typing, since none of the rest meant anything.

Edited by GoodGrief - 11/30/13 at 10:20am
post #42 of 48

Such is the nature of reports like this.

 

Group A- This agrees with what I believe so I accept it as true.

 

Group B- This contradicts what I believe, so it must be wrong.

 

Reasonable people can argue about how these reports are done and their findings. Reasonable people can not influence people with conspiracy theory mindsets on the 'other side.' 

 

Personally, I don't know if that breakdown is correct. 80%+ seems WAY high to me but I'm in no position to argue with that number. As pointed out before, the people who should care about this number (and adjust accordingly) would be retailers who have web sites or Apps!

 

As for market share- I'm certain there are enough iOS devices being used that the OS will justify supporting for years to come. I'm not worried about market share as a user or AAPL owner.  Then again, I come from a Mac background where we were always in the minority and Windows was the 800# gorilla. iOS is stronger than OS X in it's market, probably because of all the lessons learned from OS X.

post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Traffic or settled transactions..?   The two have very different meanings.

 

It seems that either you've not read the article or you struggle with understanding it.

I've made it a little easier for you below:

 

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
Apple's iOS products not only represented a large chunk of U.S. Black Friday sales, but where also used to place the vast majority of mobile purchases.

IBM highlighted that buyers' use of mobile devices for shopping was up 9 percent over last year, and that mobile devices now account for 37 percent of all shopping traffic and 21 percent of online sales.

In general, smartphones drove twice as much traffic as tablets, but tablet users actually placed 1.5x as many sales, accounting for 13.2 percent of online purchases compared to just 7.8 percent for smartphones.
 

iOS leads Android in mobile shopping

However, when breaking down those numbers by mobile platform, IBM reported that iOS devices accounted for more than 4.5 times the total sales of Android or over an 80 percent share of mobile-oriented sales (above), with 17.3 percent of all online sales occurring on an Apple mobile device versus just 3.75 percent on Android products.

IBM stated that iOS users also spent an average of 18 percent more per order: $131.34 versus $111.35 for average Android sales.
post #44 of 48
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Do any major stores use Flash anymore, or at least use it exclusively without having a redirect to a mobile site?

 

So, I'd be surprised if any major retailers were relying on Flash at this point.  As I said, that was just a quick, anecdotal check.  But I can't remember the last time I couldn't connect to a site because it was all Flash.

 

There's a good point.  I think one of the daftest things I'd occasionally experience was a website with nothing but the black box demanding you install Flash.  That is poor website design: it's so easy to put web code pointing to alternative non-flash text and links.

 

Anecdotally there was a restaurant chain which had such a poor website.  I thought I'd look at the website again today.  The bad flash-based website has gone but so have several of its  branches.  Maybe that company learnt the hard way...

post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGrief View Post
 
A pity, you could've saved yourself a lot of typing, since none of the rest meant anything.

 

A pity you don't get sarcasm. Not only in my original post, but even after I explicitly commented on it just a few posts above yours.

post #46 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post
 

 

There's a good point.  I think one of the daftest things I'd occasionally experience was a website with nothing but the black box demanding you install Flash.  That is poor website design: it's so easy to put web code pointing to alternative non-flash text and links.

 

Anecdotally there was a restaurant chain which had such a poor website.  I thought I'd look at the website again today.  The bad flash-based website has gone but so have several of its  branches.  Maybe that company learnt the hard way...

 

Heh.  Maybe.

 

I mean, when Adobe itself has dropped mobile Flash ...

post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGrief View Post
 
A pity, you could've saved yourself a lot of typing, since none of the rest meant anything.

 

A pity you don't get sarcasm. Not only in my original post, but even after I explicitly commented on it just a few posts above yours.

 

Yes - but the problem is that there are plenty of posters on this site who might well have posted what you wrote and actually meant it. Those of us who know you immediately recognized the sarcasm, while others, who do not or were not paying attention, fell foul of Poe's Law.

post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
 

I'm curious of the original report.

 

Citation..?

Please just go back to bashing Apple in the comments of non-tech related articles on CNN.com like you were doing yesterday and leave us alone here.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Apple's iPhone, iPad used to place over 80% of mobile sales on Black Friday
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPhone, iPad used to place over 80% of mobile sales on Black Friday