or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Half of Apple's iPhone 5c sales are to Android switchers - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Half of Apple's iPhone 5c sales are to Android switchers - report

post #1 of 84
Thread Starter 
The mid-range iPhone 5c has proven much more popular than its flagship sibling among smartphone shoppers with below-median incomes, and has attracted large numbers of first-time Apple buyers who are largely switching from Android devices, new data indicates.

iPhone 5c


More than 40 percent of iPhone 5c buyers earned less than $49,000 per year, while just over 20 percent of iPhone 5s owners fell into the same economic group, according to a new report from Kantar Worldpanel ComTech. The study tracked smartphone sales throughout the U.S., Europe, and Asia during August, September, and October 2013.

The age of customers buying iPhone 5c units also skewed slightly older than those purchasing the iPhone 5s, at 38 and 34 years old, respectively.

"The good news for Apple is that this wider appeal is attracting significant switching from competitors," said Kantar's strategic insight director, Dominic Sunnebo, in a statement.

"Almost half" of those buying Apple's polycarbonate handset were switching from Android-based competitors, especially Korean giants Samsung and LG. By comparison, 80 percent of purchases of the high-end iPhone 5s went to customers upgrading from previous iterations of the iPhone.

The data also suggests that the latest revisions to the iPhone lineup have not had the same uplifting effect on Apple's market share that their predecessor, the iPhone 5, had, though Sunnebo attributes this lag to the devices' position on the latter part of Apple's tick-tock product cycle for the iPhone. Buyers "tend to react more positively to 'full' releases than incremental improvements such as the 5S and 5C," he says.

Kantar's data showed iOS accounting for 16 percent of smartphone sales in Europe, 61 percent in Japan, 35 percent in Australia, 16 percent in China, and 41 percent in the U.S. during the period of the study.
post #2 of 84
How are they arriving at this data? Did they survey people who bought a 5C? How else would they know age and income stats?
post #3 of 84
I think this sounds reasonable. Most Android users have never cared about the latest tech or fastest devices, or at least weren't willing to pay for it which makes an Android switcher likely to give the vibrant 5C's a whirl if they aren't convinced the extra $100 for a given capacity is worth the extra features and performance.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #4 of 84

No wonder Samsung is holding worldwide "crisis awareness" meetings.  The numbers that were coming in at HQ must have been that grim.

post #5 of 84
Until the methodology, time of survey and sample size are revealed I have no faith in any marketing surveys from third parties.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #6 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think this sounds reasonable. Most Android users have never cared about the latest tech or fastest devices, or at least weren't willing to pay for it which makes an Android switcher likely to give the vibrant 5C's a whirl if they aren't convinced the extra $100 for a given capacity is worth the extra features and performance.

Absolutely.

 

To touch base on performance- I can't tell the difference in speed between my iPad 4 and iPad air, nor could I between my iPhone 5 and 5s.  They feel exactly the same.  I know benchmarks show differently- but in real-world usage (iPhoto/iMovie and Infinity Blade 3 are my most complicated apps)- The difference is nominal, if anything.  This should bode well for those buying the 5c- as their performance will still be great- making their user experience enjoyable.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #7 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Absolutely.

To touch base on performance- I can't tell the difference in speed between my iPad 4 and iPad air, nor could I between my iPhone 5 and 5s.  They feel exactly the same.  I know benchmarks show differently- but in real-world usage (iPhoto/iMovie and Infinity Blade 3 are my most complicated apps)- The difference is nominal, if anything.  This should bode well for those buying the 5c- as their performance will still be great- making their user experience enjoyable.

I pitted my iPhone 5 against a 5S and I saw very little difference in apps opening (note: didn't try large apps like Pages or Infinity Blade). I did notice that the 5S will turns on faster, which isn't a deciding factor for a device that would rarely ever be restarted. The one area that I saw a huge comparative gain in performance is apps closing down but I chock that up to what Mike Ash said about the new Aarch-64 ISA.

Adding it all together, it's a pretty big win. My casual benchmarking indicates that basic object creation and destruction takes about 380ns on a 5S running in 32-bit mode, while it's only about 200ns when running in 64-bit mode. If any instance of the class has ever had a weak reference and an associated object set, the 32-bit time rises to about 480ns, while the 64-bit time remains around 200ns for any instances that were not themselves the target.

In short, the improvements to Apple's runtime make it so that object allocation in 64-bit mode costs only 40-50% of what it does in 32-bit mode. If your app creates and destroys a lot of objects, that's a big deal.


I also moved from the Pad 3 to a Retina iPad Mini and the iPad Mini feels so much faster than the iPad 3.



edit: Typo: chock not choke. 1hmm.gif
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/2/13 at 5:58pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #8 of 84

Also i don't know how it turn out in the USA but here in France the iPhone 5C is much more subsidized by providers than the 5S.

 

For the 5S you barely make any gain at all if you go subsidized while 5C is almost free with 24 months smart-phones plans.

 

All implications of the coexisting products lines 5S & 5C haven't been reached yet I think.

post #9 of 84
China Mobile. They could help Apple's marketshare grow even more right?

Armchair quarterback's call lol:

Samsung can't really grow its share. Blackberry is exhausted. Apple is growing not shrinking. No other Android maker has significant share Samsung can steal away.

Apple will continue growing at Samsung's expense.

That's what happens when you make it to the top of the hill?
post #10 of 84
I bet Gatorguy is really tempted ... 1wink.gif
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #11 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

China Mobile. They could help Apple's marketshare grow even more right?

Armchair quarterback's call lol:

Samsung can't really grow its share. Blackberry is exhausted. Apple is growing not shrinking. No other Android maker has significant share Samsung can steal away.

Apple will continue growing at Samsung's expense.

That's what happens when you make it to the top of the hill?

Even with Apple's massive popularity and profitability, there are so many product areas they have not yet touched that their future remains bright. Samsung on the other hand, is clearly beginning to flameout.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #12 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Even with Apple's massive popularity and profitability, there are so many product areas they have not yet touched that their future remains bright. Samsung on the other hand, is clearly beginning to flameout.

Hopefully as the legal weight gets heavier and they cannot make identical copies their market advantage over other Android junk will fade. Like HTC they will hopefully fall back into the morass of Android boxes fighting over the low end of the market.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #13 of 84
Fake. These groups are paid by Samsung
post #14 of 84

Recently, I've been seeing a shitload of people with 5Cs. The speculation, or foregone conclusion, that the phone has "bombed" is hilarious. 

post #15 of 84
Got the wife the 5c - since she barely used all the functionality of her 4 - got it at Target for $50 with a $50 Target gift card included - so effectively free.

Waiting for the 5s 64GB to be in stock so I upgrade my 4s.
post #16 of 84
Wait, the 5C is a "failure." 40% of zero is still zero buyers, AI. /s
post #17 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How are they arriving at this data? Did they survey people who bought a 5C? How else would they know age and income stats?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Until the methodology, time of survey and sample size are revealed I have no faith in any marketing surveys from third parties.

 

Half of all statistics are made up on the spot.      ;)
 

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #18 of 84
Unfortunately, this article doesn't take into account how many iPhone owners are abandoning Apple in favor of Android devices. After the colossal, embarrassing failure that is iOS7, I'm willing to bet the numbers are far greater AGAINST Apple than FOR it.
post #19 of 84
Originally Posted by MaestroDRAVEN View Post
Unfortunately, this article doesn't take into account how many iPhone owners are abandoning Apple in favor of Android devices. After the colossal, embarrassing failure that is iOS7, I'm willing to bet the numbers are far greater AGAINST Apple than FOR it.

 

Shut up and go away.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #20 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroDRAVEN View Post

Unfortunately, this article doesn't take into account how many iPhone owners are abandoning Apple in favor of Android devices. After the colossal, embarrassing failure that is iOS7, I'm willing to bet the numbers are far greater AGAINST Apple than FOR it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

post #21 of 84
The same study also shows apple now is behind windows phone in many Europe countries... 1frown.gif
post #22 of 84
That
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroDRAVEN View Post

Unfortunately, this article doesn't take into account how many iPhone owners are abandoning Apple in favor of Android devices. After the colossal, embarrassing failure that is iOS7, I'm willing to bet the numbers are far greater AGAINST Apple than FOR it.

That's quite amusing. Apple is doomed /s
post #23 of 84
Huh?
post #24 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroDRAVEN View Post

Unfortunately, this article doesn't take into account how many iPhone owners are abandoning Apple in favor of Android devices. After the colossal, embarrassing failure that is iOS7, I'm willing to bet the numbers are far greater AGAINST Apple than FOR it.

 

I'll take your bet. How much?

post #25 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Got the wife the 5c - since she barely used all the functionality of her 4 - got it at Target for $50 with a $50 Target gift card included - so effectively free.

Waiting for the 5s 64GB to be in stock so I upgrade my 4s.

If by free you mean you settled for last year's tech (and less future resale value) while getting locked into two years of paying a carrier's same inflated on-contract monthly prices and "saved" $6.25/mo ($150/24) for the privilege.....

[...And not attacking you, rather the whole model at the US "Big Two."]

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #26 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Until the methodology, time of survey and sample size are revealed I have no faith in any marketing surveys from third parties.

 

Add to that information about who is paying that third party for the study. I think we need to be just as skeptical about surveys that indicate positives for Apple as we are about surveys that show the opposite. This whole smartphone war thing has opened my eyes to the scam this all is. Companies can produce any results they want to if they spend enough money. CEOs can spout any nonsense they want and have it taken as gospel by somebody. It has become painfully evident that objectivity is an illusion in business. Go to any financial website and for every gloom/doom/bubble naysayer you can find the opposite bull/buy/spend positive thinker. A monkey throwing at a dart board is as good as any analyst.


Edited by lkrupp - 12/2/13 at 9:00am
post #27 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post
 

If by free you mean you settled for last year's tech (and less future resale value) while getting locked into two years of paying a carrier's same inflated on-contract monthly prices and "saved" $6.25/mo ($150/24) for the privilege.....

[...And not attacking you, rather the whole model at the US "Big Two."]

 

 

Free as in any other option would have been more money out of pocket with no reduction in my monthly service for a device that is replacing a device that is already more than she needs. Plus her 4 is already slated to go to a niece. 

 

While I use my devices to make money - so that latest and greatest speed etc makes me more productive - some folks don't need the additional capability - even at $6.25 a month. 

 

IF the carriers were actually interested being fair to their consumers the monthly price of your plan would drop when you reach the 24 month mark or they would put the alleged subsidy amount into escrow each month so you could bank it towards future hardware upgrades  

post #28 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
 

 

 

Half of all statistics are made up on the spot.      ;)
 

Very much true

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroDRAVEN View Post

Unfortunately, this article doesn't take into account how many iPhone owners are abandoning Apple in favor of Android devices. After the colossal, embarrassing failure that is iOS7, I'm willing to bet the numbers are far greater AGAINST Apple than FOR it.


A perfect example of made-up statistics shown immediately above... :)

post #29 of 84
Talk about cherry picking data from a report - MacRumors has much better article about the data. The 5s/5c did not change anything worldwide.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/02/iphone-5c-broadens-apples-customer-base-but-android-continues-to-lead-in-smartphones/
post #30 of 84

 The link says

 

"Almost half of [American] iPhone 5C owners switched from competitor brands, particularly Samsung and LG,"

 

How does that prove that "Half of Apple's iPhone 5c sales are to Android switchers"

 

I read it as suggesting that the half in question already owned phones that were not iPhones but that they could have been a mixture of Symbian, WM, WP, Android, etc.

 

Accordingly doesn't it follows that the remaining 50% were a combination of existing iPhone owners or people buying a phone for the first time?

 

Or have I missed something.

post #31 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

 

Half of all statistics are made up on the spot.      ;)
 

That's totally wrong. My studies show it's 63%.

post #32 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Half of all statistics are made up on the spot.      1wink.gif

 
That's totally wrong. My studies show it's 63%.

82.5% of all statistics are made-up.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #33 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


82.5% of all statistics are made-up.

 

74.26% of the time.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #34 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

 The link says

"Almost half of [American] iPhone 5C owners switched from competitor brands, particularly Samsung and LG,"

How does that prove that "Half of Apple's iPhone 5c sales are to Android switchers"

I read it as suggesting that the half in question already owned phones that were not iPhones but that they could have been a mixture of Symbian, WM, WP, Android, etc.

Accordingly doesn't it follows that the remaining 50% were a combination of existing iPhone owners or people buying a phone for the first time?

Or have I missed something.

Because "Android is winning ".
post #35 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Got the wife the 5c - since she barely used all the functionality of her 4 - got it at Target for $50 with a $50 Target gift card included - so effectively free.

Waiting for the 5s 64GB to be in stock so I upgrade my 4s.

I got my parents dad and mom each a iphone 5c(they have used ipad 2 in the past never a iphone) and they love it.

I got mine a 64Gb iPhone 5S gold on the day of the release and ultimately love it.

Happy to see iPhones are selling well everywhere. The better their market share, they will spend more money on the R&D and come up with future phones with more features and better for us :)

post #36 of 84

It's a great device to enter the Apple world. That was a good move.

post #37 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

The same study also shows apple now is behind windows phone in many Europe countries... 1frown.gif

 

Italy!

post #38 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by piot View Post

Italy!

There are probably a lot of Eastern European countries they are behind… but also were never ahead.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #39 of 84
My dad specifically requested a blue iPhone 5c.
post #40 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

74.26% of the time.

With a +/- 5% margin for error. 1smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Half of Apple's iPhone 5c sales are to Android switchers - report