or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Half of Apple's iPhone 5c sales are to Android switchers - report

Half of Apple's iPhone 5c sales are to Android switchers - report - Page 2

post #41 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

The same study also shows apple now is behind windows phone in many Europe countries... 1frown.gif

You should replace Windows with Nokia. Nokia has the name in Europe... not Windows phones.

Here in Germany, I would "guess-tulate" that at one time it was about 80% Nokia vs. 20% Other before the iPhone. In fact, those that haven't upgraded to a Smartphone running iOS or Android are still mostly using the candy bar Nokias.

I recently set up one of my customers with the Nokia 925... he still hates it after 3 weeks, and I believe we'll be moving him to an iPhone shortly.

His main reason: coming from an old feature-Nokia naturally has it's learning curve and there's very few people around he can ask if he needs help.

Some other observations (mine and his):
1) the OS is "chunky and clunky" regardless of it's flat look and usage of fine fonts and typography. Big useless tiles, or incomplete little ones;
2) chopped-off monster headings that only take up space and look like there's something wrong with the phone half the time. Even after explaining to him that it's a visual clue that he can slide to the right for more info and functions... he still dislikes it. I have to agree.
3) the back-arrow is quite similar to Android, in that it "sometimes" does something different than you would expect from app to app. Same with the Home touch-button.
4) a lot of confusion as to what is an official app (for example Facebook) and what is just a tacky, wannabe and confusing Hack-n-App.
5) Music app mixing ads to buy music from within the app, rather than just showing your own music and playlists.

The phone itself is quite nice I must say, and the camera really is great. However, the whole time I was thinking to myself and hate to say it, "I wonder what this phone would be like with stock Android?". It's sad when a darn good manufacturer has to decide between 2 evils to put a device to market.

IMO: There's certainly demand for something different than Android (if you're opposed to iOS that is), and a lot of people thru out Europe are giving Nokia/Windows a fair trial. I just don't believe that in the long term that they will stick with Nokia... not due to the stellar hardware, but because Windows and it's App Store just aren't going to be up to the task and on the same playing field as iOS... or even Android.

While we can applaud Microsoft for not stealing iOS... some of the GUI stuff they are experimenting with is just plain stupid IMHO... historically as always.
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #42 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

If by free you mean you settled for last year's tech (and less future resale value) while getting locked into two years of paying a carrier's same inflated on-contract monthly prices and "saved" $6.25/mo ($150/24) for the privilege.....

[...And not attacking you, rather the whole model at the US "Big Two."]

Oh, no, LAST YEARS TECH!! How will his wife ever survive? 

Seriously, some of you need to step out of your bubble. My dad is still happily on his iPhone 4, and I'd probably get him a 5C over a 5S, simply because he will not use touch ID, and the 5C is less fragile and does not need to be used with a case. Yes, you have a point about resale value, but not EVERY busying decision needs to be based on that, and the 5C, like all Apple products, will retain its value just fine. 

post #43 of 84
If true that would be a positive... But where's the meat?

More fluffy supposition on a site notable for its Pollyanna spin on Apple? Or a glimmer of hope the 5C will float?
post #44 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hungover View Post

The link says

"Almost half of [American] iPhone 5C owners switched from competitor brands, particularly Samsung and LG,"

How does that prove that "Half of Apple's iPhone 5c sales are to Android switchers"

I read it as suggesting that the half in question already owned phones that were not iPhones but that they could have been a mixture of Symbian, WM, WP, Android, etc.

Accordingly doesn't it follows that the remaining 50% were a combination of existing iPhone owners or people buying a phone for the first time?

Or have I missed something.

Here, read the report.  

http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/global/News/news-articles/Apple-iPhone-5S-outsells-5C-three-to-one-in-Great-Britain

post #45 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroDRAVEN View Post

Unfortunately, this article doesn't take into account how many iPhone owners are abandoning Apple in favor of Android devices. After the colossal, embarrassing failure that is iOS7, I'm willing to bet the numbers are far greater AGAINST Apple than FOR it.

Any sources for this little piece of information?  You have 2 points to prove...Apple users switching to Android and iOS7 being a "colossal, embarrassing failure..."

post #46 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

More fluffy supposition on a site notable for its Pollyanna spin on Apple? Or a glimmer of hope the 5C will float?

Wait for the quarterly earnings for the meat.  The news isn't from Appleinsider, but from Kantar Worldpanel, who according to their website,  "Is the world leader in consumer knowledge and insights based on continuous consumer panels."

post #47 of 84

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

post #48 of 84
Color these switchers stupid. Over a two year contract, the price difference between a 5c and a 5s works out to about a quarter a day, and that's money they're likely to get back when they sell an iPhone 5s. in 2015, the 5s will still be hot. The 5c will be a has-been.

As for how they got those income stats, when you get a cell phone, you give up a lot of information. Just your name and your address can be linked to find out a lot about you. An age, for instance, can be inferred from when someone first acquired a credit rating. For some information they may be linking directly all the nefarious little data collectors around. For other data they may just be looking at the neighborhood where they live. People earning $25,000 a year don't live in $4,000/month apartments.

I also wonder where the funding for this study came from. Did a department at Apple go a hunting for data that makes the decision to make the 5c look better? Maybe.
post #49 of 84

Too funny! And the first time I actually get to see a Google+ member, yay!
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
post #50 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

People earning $25,000 a year don't live in $4,000/month apartments.

You've obviously never been to Dallas... land of the $30k millionaire

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #51 of 84
Quote:

Unfortunately, this article doesn't take into account how many iPhone owners are abandoning Apple in favor of Android devices. After the colossal, embarrassing failure that is iOS7, I'm willing to bet the numbers are far greater AGAINST Apple than FOR it.

LOL. If you got numbers to back that up, bring it. Otherwise, it's just more FUD and wishful thinking.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #52 of 84

As someone whom has used all platforms minus firefoxOS or ubuntus new OS, I have to say the look and feel of the hardware and the OS are what make iOS and iPhone to me the clear winner of them all. I really love the concept behind the windows phone, but the ecosystem is really

lacking. I used to own an iMac 24" from 2008 and it was the longest lasting computer my family has ever owned, and I have had waaay too

many laptops and PC's to mention. I took the turn full time to Apples products due to their better build quality, and longevity. I recently purchased a new iMac 21" and its even better than the 24" we used to own. With all that said, from a former MS fanboy I don't find it at all surprising that

many android users are switching. I used to own a Galaxy S III, and Nexus 4, both good phones that make me say meh! I still say my iPhone 5

and Nokia Lumia 925 were better than any android phone i have ever used. I have a 5s coming thanks to T-Mobiles jump program. For now I am

using that old S III.....UGH!

post #53 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

It's a great device to enter the Apple world. That was a good move.

Who knew Android switchers were so colorful?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #54 of 84

Actually, I lived in Dallas for four years. I'm not sure how those guys making about $2,000 a month could afford a $4,000 a month apartment, but I did have a garage apartment in pricey Highland Park for $17 month (essentially utilities). I did yard work and babysat in exchange for the rent I wasn't paying. And I used to know someone who lived in a one-bedroom apartment in Manhattan with three roommates. How she managed I never found out.

Where there's a will there's sometimes a way.

--Michael W. Perry, author of Untangling Tolkien (LOTR chronology)

post #55 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

With a +/- 5% margin for error. 1smile.gif

Adding more decimal places makes statistics more believable 84.963% of the time.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #56 of 84
Quote:

Any sources for this little piece of information?  You have 2 points to prove...Apple users "abandoning" their iPhone in favor of Android and iOS7 being a "colossal, embarrassing failure..."

post #57 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The study tracked smartphone sales throughout the U.S., Europe, and Asia during August, September, and October 2013.
Quote:
iPhone 5s & iPhone 5c Arrive on Friday, September 20

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/09/16iPhone-5s-iPhone-5c-Arrive-on-Friday-September-20.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How are they arriving at this data? Did they survey people who bought a 5C? How else would they know age and income stats?

Not only that -- consider:

31 days Aug - iPhone 5C or 5S Availability == None
20 days Sep - iPhone 5C or 5S Availability == None
10 days Sep - iPhone 5C or 5S Availability == Limited 1 - 5 weeks *
31 days Oct - iPhone 5C or 5S Availability == Limited 1 - 5 weeks *

Value of study ~= 0

* Apple does not book as sales until shipped to resellers or, prepared for shipment to individuals
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 12/2/13 at 1:51pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #58 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Absolutely.

To touch base on performance- I can't tell the difference in speed between my iPad 4 and iPad air, nor could I between my iPhone 5 and 5s.  They feel exactly the same.  I know benchmarks show differently- but in real-world usage (iPhoto/iMovie and Infinity Blade 3 are my most complicated apps)- The difference is nominal, if anything.  This should bode well for those buying the 5c- as their performance will still be great- making their user experience enjoyable.

I pitted my iPhone 5 against a 5S and I saw very little difference in apps opening (note: didn't try large apps like Pages or Infinity Blade). I did notice that the 5S will turns on faster, which isn't a deciding factor for a device that would rarely ever be restarted. The one area that I saw a huge comparative gain in performance is apps closing down but I chock that up not to what Mike Ash said about the new Aarch-64 ISA.

Adding it all together, it's a pretty big win. My casual benchmarking indicates that basic object creation and destruction takes about 380ns on a 5S running in 32-bit mode, while it's only about 200ns when running in 64-bit mode. If any instance of the class has ever had a weak reference and an associated object set, the 32-bit time rises to about 480ns, while the 64-bit time remains around 200ns for any instances that were not themselves the target.

In short, the improvements to Apple's runtime make it so that object allocation in 64-bit mode costs only 40-50% of what it does in 32-bit mode. If your app creates and destroys a lot of objects, that's a big deal.

I also moved from the Pad 3 to a Retina iPad Mini and the iPad Mini feels so much faster than the iPad 3.

edit: Typo: chock not choke. 1hmm.gif

Sol,

Nice paean to jragosta in your sig... Thanks!

post #59 of 84
Quote:

How are they arriving at this data? Did they survey people who bought a 5C? How else would they know age and income stats?

they talked to 5 people exiting a store and extrapolated the data to the entire cell phone buying public and declared a winner. Oh, they excluded any person which they believe were unable to make an informed buying decision.

Edited by Maestro64 - 12/2/13 at 2:48pm
post #60 of 84
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Quote:

People earning $25,000 a year don't live in $4,000/month apartments.

You've obviously never been to Dallas... land of the $30k millionaire

Kinda'  "All house and no collateral"  'eh?

post #61 of 84

I gotta admit I thought the 5c is a bit overpriced but it looks like Apple got their target audience right. Samsung owners who want better quality plastic, smaller easier to hold phones, and an iOS that doesn't make your eyes bleed.

post #62 of 84

Android's slowly dying. Good.

post #63 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Talk about cherry picking data from a report - MacRumors has much better article about the data. The 5s/5c did not change anything worldwide.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/02/iphone-5c-broadens-apples-customer-base-but-android-continues-to-lead-in-smartphones/

Well it is AI and they are making the best of it.  They did state that Apple users showed some disdain for the 5c with only 20% of them going that route.  That leaves the rest of sales pretty much to the small subset of people buying a phone for the first time and the remaining group of 'people with a cell phone other than an Apple' which is pretty close to 100% Android.  So 50% isn't all that surprising a number.

Apple could have sold 10 iPhone 5c's.  If only 5 were purchased by the sea of Android users the headline would still be accurate despite making it sound like it is doing something major.

post #64 of 84
Quote:

There are probably a lot of Eastern European countries they are behind… but also were never ahead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

The same study also shows apple now is behind windows phone in many Europe countries... 1frown.gif
post #65 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Quote:

Color these switchers stupid. Over a two year contract, the price difference between a 5c and a 5s works out to about a quarter a day, and that's money they're likely to get back when they sell an iPhone 5s. in 2015, the 5s will still be hot. The 5c will be a has-been.

I also wonder where the funding for this study came from. Did a department at Apple go a hunting for data that makes the decision to make the 5c look better? Maybe.

So many 5C nega-dopes.

People buy generic meds, food all the time. Over the long run they'd be only saving a few cents per day.

5C demo != 5S demo.
post #66 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

You should replace Windows with Nokia. Nokia has the name in Europe... not Windows phones.

Here in Germany, I would "guess-tulate" that at one time it was about 80% Nokia vs. 20% Other before the iPhone. In fact, those that haven't upgraded to a Smartphone running iOS or Android are still mostly using the candy bar Nokias.

I recently set up one of my customers with the Nokia 925... he still hates it after 3 weeks, and I believe we'll be moving him to an iPhone shortly.

His main reason: coming from an old feature-Nokia naturally has it's learning curve and there's very few people around he can ask if he needs help.

Some other observations (mine and his):
1) the OS is "chunky and clunky" regardless of it's flat look and usage of fine fonts and typography. Big useless tiles, or incomplete little ones;
2) chopped-off monster headings that only take up space and look like there's something wrong with the phone half the time. Even after explaining to him that it's a visual clue that he can slide to the right for more info and functions... he still dislikes it. I have to agree.
3) the back-arrow is quite similar to Android, in that it "sometimes" does something different than you would expect from app to app. Same with the Home touch-button.
4) a lot of confusion as to what is an official app (for example Facebook) and what is just a tacky, wannabe and confusing Hack-n-App.
5) Music app mixing ads to buy music from within the app, rather than just showing your own music and playlists.

The phone itself is quite nice I must say, and the camera really is great. However, the whole time I was thinking to myself and hate to say it, "I wonder what this phone would be like with stock Android?". It's sad when a darn good manufacturer has to decide between 2 evils to put a device to market.

IMO: There's certainly demand for something different than Android (if you're opposed to iOS that is), and a lot of people thru out Europe are giving Nokia/Windows a fair trial. I just don't believe that in the long term that they will stick with Nokia... not due to the stellar hardware, but because Windows and it's App Store just aren't going to be up to the task and on the same playing field as iOS... or even Android.

While we can applaud Microsoft for not stealing iOS... some of the GUI stuff they are experimenting with is just plain stupid IMHO... historically as always.

~Windows Mobile, you either hate it or love it, I've noticed that there is just no middle ground when people are discussing this OS. I happen to fall in the latter group as I have a Nokia 1020 and dig it immensely, it's also my first Windows Mobile device. It took me about a day to find all of the little nuances and tricks but once I did I was smitten. My previous phone was a BB Z10, a work phone which I unfortunately had to give up after I fell sick and took an extended leave of absence. I was also using a Nokia 808 for my personal phone. There are some odd UI elements for sure but no more than Android or iOS have and definitely nothing that is so bad it's distracting, I actually think that title thing is kind of cool looking. I either remove or use the smallest size available for any icons of apps that aren't used frequently on the Start Screen, I just uninstall the apps that aren't useful. Windows 8 allows you to uninstall every non system app including the ones installed by a carrier, zero bloatware. There is only one Facebook app from Facebook, it's called Facebook, the others have names like Facebook Touch or Facebook Plus, not very confusing at all, the Instagram app from Instagram is called just that, Instagram. I just tried the Nokia Music app, I don't see the ads that you were referring too, I mostly use Spotify for my music needs but I'm still intrigued by this as one of the things I like about WinMob8 is, no ads, except in the Store. Which app are you using. I also tried the MS app, Music, the only ads I've seen for artists were found under the pane called, "Store".

If your friend decides to stay with the Nokia, convince him or her to get in contact with me or at least someone else who knows the system well. I would be more than happy to show this person the good parts of the platform though, it’s potential, which there is, in abundance. Also the best apps, hidden goodies like becoming a WinDev and getting free apps as well as the first for updates. The OS is very powerful, the way the apps can talk with each other rivals that of Android without losing your security foothold. The speed is as fast as iOS. The cloud integration is bar none the best when compared to other platforms. Even though many say there aren’t, there are plenty of good apps. In fact I can’t think of one app that I am missing, wanting, need, ect. that isn’t already available.

The Nokia 1020 itself is a pretty insanely cool phone, the screen is probably the best I have ever seen in a mobile device except for maybe my doctors new Nokia 1520, which she bought after I let her use my 1020 for the week. I convinced her in holding off on buying a HTC One MAX, I don’t think Android is a good OS for a doctor and she didn’t want an iPhone. Personally the Nokia 1520 is too friggen big, even for me but she wanted a phablet and I have to admit if you want a phablet, this is the mother to buy, holy crap is it big. What is it with woman and phablets, they are the only ones that I see with them. When I was using an Android phone I also had a phablet, the Samsung Note and I would most likely have the Note 3 or maybe even the Sony Z1 if I didn’t have the Nokia and more importantly wasn’t tired of seeing really fast hardware brought to it’s knees because of Darvik. Anyway back to the concept of a phablet, there’s just something about having a phone and a tablet in one device, maybe Apple will get wise to us big phone wanting girls and release one as well, you guys get to have a big bummy girl as an option, so asking for the same in a phone isn’t too much to ask for. I like big buttons and I cannot lie, you other gadget freaks can’t deny.

Just saying I like my Nokia here, please don’t analyze my post and put together some kind of proverbial Pelican Brief on how I hate Apple.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #67 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

blah... I hate Apple.

How dare you! /s
post #68 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shut up and go away.

The OP could be right, if that many Android user are switching then why hasn't Apple's market share increased? Or did you not read this part?
Quote:
The data also suggests that the latest revisions to the iPhone lineup have not had the same uplifting effect on Apple's market share that their predecessor, the iPhone 5 had

Edited by dasanman69 - 12/2/13 at 6:28pm
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #69 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The OP could be right, if that many Android user are switching then why hasn't Apple's market share increased? Or did you not read this part?

There could be an unprecedented number of Android switchers and Apple's market share could drop if the number of new non-Apple devices flooding the market is high.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #70 of 84
Quote:

Remember the high end Android users that might switch are a fraction of the 'Android user base' which includes TV dongles. I bet if all the high end Android users switched it would not make a massive increase in Apple's massive lead in the high end of the market.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #71 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Remember the high end Android users that might switch are a fraction of the 'Android user base' which includes TV dongles. I bet if all the high end Android users switched it would not make a massive increase in Apple's massive lead in the high end of the market.

You're giving those TV dongles way too much credit. I doubt they sell in numbers to make a remarkable impact on market share.
post #72 of 84
Quote:

You want to rephrase this? If All the high-end Androiders switch to iPhone, how could it not increase Apple's share of the high end market. That's the market Apple only competes in. Eff the low class Android shit.
post #73 of 84
Quote:

There could be an unprecedented number of Android switchers and Apple's market share could drop if the number of new non-Apple devices flooding the market is high.

I agree and that is likely the reason, and that’s the answer TS should've given instead of 'shut up and go away'.
post #74 of 84
Quote:

Quote:

You're giving those TV dongles way too much credit. I doubt they sell in numbers to make a remarkable impact on market share.

That may or may not be true, but doesn't affect the point that overall smartphone market share numbers are dominated by the cheap and numerous sales at the low end.  As soli pointed out, it does not actually even say anything definitive about the high end market, since the switchers could be offset by new Android customers.

post #75 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

That may or may not be true, but doesn't affect the point that overall smartphone market share numbers are dominated by the cheap and numerous sales at the low end.  As soli pointed out, it does not actually even say anything definitive about the high end market, since the switchers could be offset by new Android customers.

The overall market of just about everything is always going to be dominated by the inexpensive choice. A very many people buy those glorified feature phones because the choice of feature phones has gotten to almost zero. While that market is very profitable it still exists and if not served by one company it'll get served by another.
post #76 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

You want to rephrase this? If All the high-end Androiders switch to iPhone, how could it not increase Apple's share of the high end market. That's the market Apple only competes in. Eff the low class Android shit.

100,000,000 Galaxy S and Notes = 10% of 1,000,000,000 Android "activations", so not so much really, seeing as how the high end is almost all Samsung with a sprinkling of HTC, Motorola and Sony.

post #77 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

~Windows Mobile, you either hate it or love it, I've noticed that there is just no middle ground when people are discussing this OS.

I personally don't hate it at all. It does have some interesting features as does Android. However as a "complete device" I have to give it at the most a 7 out of 10 rating... and that's because of the Nokia hardware. The GUI experiment that is tiles and assorted wasted space, makes it a must to buy the "biggest" screen phone you can get IMO.

Seriously speaking, "if" Microsoft had decided to make all of their recent changes and improvements to Windows 8 and stuck with icons rather than tiles, no one would have held that against them. Also I firmly believe that they would have had a far easier time of getting people to upgrade their desktops WITHOUT Metro, and would have had much more success with Windows Phone than they have had to date. Whether Windows 8 is usable after a short "re-train", stable as Win7, and brings a far better foundation to build upon has not been the debate the haters have had a field day with. It's all about the hate for Metro and Tiles.

Easiest road to success for Microsoft Win8 and WinPhone8 at this time is to take one on the chin, and create a user selectable view to disable Metro on desktops, and "normal icon view" on WinPhone. As a betting person, I would go all in on a 20% increase in updates and sales within a month of MS doing that.
Quote:
I happen to fall in the latter group as I have a Nokia 1020 and dig it immensely, it's also my first Windows Mobile device. It took me about a day to find all of the little nuances and tricks but once I did I was smitten. My previous phone was a BB Z10, a work phone which I unfortunately had to give up after I fell sick and took an extended leave of absence. I was also using a Nokia 808 for my personal phone. There are some odd UI elements for sure but no more than Android or iOS have and definitely nothing that is so bad it's distracting, I actually think that title thing is kind of cool looking. I either remove or use the smallest size available for any icons of apps that aren't used frequently on the Start Screen, I just uninstall the apps that aren't useful. Windows 8 allows you to uninstall every non system app including the ones installed by a carrier, zero bloatware.

Yes, we also resized, moved, and uninstalled a number of apps. Once again: I nor the client saw any benefit to the "mega-tiles", considering that information was very often cut off or incomplete in one way or another (messages, calendar, pictures cropping strangely).
Quote:
There is only one Facebook app from Facebook, it's called Facebook, the others have names like Facebook Touch or Facebook Plus, not very confusing at all,

Really? Facebook Plus and Facebook Lite actually came up first on my clients search, and both use a very similar icon/logo as the official Facebook app.... which yes... creates confusion for some people. MS (and Google!) must curate better in that regard and respect trademarks at the very least, dissipate confusion for newbies being the #1 reason. On Android it's darn-right dangerous(!)
Quote:
the Instagram app from Instagram is called just that, Instagram. I just tried the Nokia Music app, I don't see the ads that you were referring too, I mostly use Spotify for my music needs but I'm still intrigued by this as one of the things I like about WinMob8 is, no ads, except in the Store. Which app are you using. I also tried the MS app, Music, the only ads I've seen for artists were found under the pane called, "Store".

The Store is the very first pane you see when opening the "Music" app. I also use and highly recommend Spotify to everyone.... but... what ya gonna do about "rippers"?
NOTE: I just noticed on Win8.1 that they have upgraded the Metro-Music App. It used to advertise X-Box Music first and foremost rather than personal collections. It's still a massive waste of space on a desktop IMO.
Quote:
If your friend decides to stay with the Nokia, convince him or her to get in contact with me or at least someone else who knows the system well. I would be more than happy to show this person the good parts of the platform though, it’s potential, which there is, in abundance. Also the best apps, hidden goodies like becoming a WinDev and getting free apps as well as the first for updates. The OS is very powerful, the way the apps can talk with each other rivals that of Android without losing your security foothold. The speed is as fast as iOS.

Nice try Relic 1smoking.gif

Sorry to tell ya but I'm in the business of moving people to Apple devices and solutions. I am not going to go out of my way to push a platform that I personally believe as a whole, is a daily nightmare for average business users and a complete IT overkill for consumers.

That is the genius behind the iPad and Post-PC devices: you do not need an engineering degree, an IT support contract, nor someone in your immediate group of friends or family to "clean up the mess" that is (still) Windows every few weeks or months.
Quote:
The cloud integration is bar none the best when compared to other platforms.

When it works that is:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-outlook/outlookcom-outlook-2013-contacts-sync-problem/bd901183-3f39-4181-b766-69f7093a1bf1

Do a search for Sync problems. It's a bonafide problem we ran into with both Contacts... um sorry... "People" on one platform, Contacts in the other... and Calendar.
Quote:
Even though many say there aren’t, there are plenty of good apps. In fact I can’t think of one app that I am missing, wanting, need, ect. that isn’t already available.

Honestly I can't dispute that because the needs of my client are rather simple: Mail, Messaging, Calendar, Facebook, WhatsApp, Music, Maps. Period. Even web browsing isn't "needed" as related to me by many people using alternatives to iOS. BTW: most of those folks are without large data plans (500mb) and still don't see the need to have one. PAYG sims.
Quote:
The Nokia 1020 itself is a pretty insanely cool phone, the screen is probably the best I have ever seen in a mobile device except for maybe my doctors new Nokia 1520, which she bought after I let her use my 1020 for the week. I convinced her in holding off on buying a HTC One MAX, I don’t think Android is a good OS for a doctor and she didn’t want an iPhone. Personally the Nokia 1520 is too friggen big, even for me but she wanted a phablet and I have to admit if you want a phablet, this is the mother to buy, holy crap is it big. What is it with woman and phablets, they are the only ones that I see with them. When I was using an Android phone I also had a phablet, the Samsung Note and I would most likely have the Note 3 or maybe even the Sony Z1 if I didn’t have the Nokia and more importantly wasn’t tired of seeing really fast hardware brought to it’s knees because of Darvik. Anyway back to the concept of a phablet, there’s just something about having a phone and a tablet in one device, maybe Apple will get wise to us big phone wanting girls and release one as well, you guys get to have a big bummy girl as an option, so asking for the same in a phone isn’t too much to ask for. I like big buttons and I cannot lie, you other gadget freaks can’t deny.

As I said in my first post, yes... the Nokia phone I worked on is a very nice piece of hardware, as I'm sure all of them are. I still maintain that it is the GUI that is holding it back from gaining more share of the market. It's still not a "premium experience" on the level of Apple, but is a better one than that of an Android.... that is if you are a "paying customer" of services and content.

You can't beat the "free-for-all-and-pirate-everything" approach of Android, and frankly... Microsoft should know that, since that is how they achieved their worldwide success with Windows i.e. turn a blind eye towards piracy to boost your market presence and eventual domination once you have them hooked. Worked for Microsoft once... and i'm seriously curious whether it will work for Android over time. It appears it was a once-in-a-lifetime strategy if you look at profitability rather than market share numbers at least.

As for "phablets".... I agree with you that there is definitely a need and market out there that Apple should address, which fairly likely they will do next year. I also believe that at that point in time when Apple does hit the market for the "Mobile All In One"... not "phablet", if
a) Microsoft hasn't improved there GUI and ecosystem,
and
b) Google hasn't found a way to optimize their Dalvik VM...
...then Apple will run away with not only ~70% of the mobile profits... but closer to 95%.

Then it will be truly interesting to see what MS does with Nokia and what Samsung does with Tizen.
Quote:
Just saying I like my Nokia here, please don’t analyze my post and put together some kind of proverbial Pelican Brief on how I hate Apple.

I could say the same if it was only about Nokia. Sadly... I don't see the benefits of the stellar Nokia hardware overcoming the distaste and bad experiences many people have had with Microsoft OSes in the past, nor the struggles with the new one presently. Nokia sold their ability to reverse that "eventuality" and look at other alternatives to get their devices into people's hands when they sold out to MS "Lock, Stock and with 2 Smoking Barrels".

Last note: I've written for years here about my experiences with helping clients and business associates make the switch to Apple OS X and iOS devices. On OS X it has naturally involved moving people into minimally configured Parallels/Windows environments for software that is not available on Macs. I have not once experienced any of them switching back to Win-Only, nor even the slightest complaint of switching in the first place. 100% positive reviews... 1biggrin.gif... which keeps my business running quite well even tho I don't make any money directly from selling Apple equipment....1hmm.gif
post #78 of 84
I agree and that is likely the reason, and that’s the answer TS should've given instead of 'shut up and go away'.

See, no, that’s implied. The fact that there’s another answer, irrelevant to the point being made, is implied by not replying directly to it when the trolling is that bad.

post #79 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

100,000,000 Galaxy S and Notes = 10% of 1,000,000,000 Android "activations", so not so much really, seeing as how the high end is almost all Samsung with a sprinkling of HTC, Motorola and Sony.

True but he said "high-end" market.
post #80 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

True but he said "high-end" market.

Which I basically described.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Half of Apple's iPhone 5c sales are to Android switchers - report