or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Half of Apple's iPhone 5c sales are to Android switchers - report

Half of Apple's iPhone 5c sales are to Android switchers - report - Page 3

post #81 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Once again: I nor the client saw any benefit to the "mega-tiles", considering that information was very often cut off or incomplete in one way or another (messages, calendar, pictures cropping strangely).

The only use I have found for megatiles is setting up the phone, messages and photos as the top three for old people.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #82 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

b) Google hasn't found a way to optimize their Dalvik VM

Which may be a contributing reason for their move to ART.

By the way, yours was an excellent and well-reasoned reply sir.
Edited by Gatorguy - 12/3/13 at 1:23pm
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #83 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

If by free you mean you settled for last year's tech (and less future resale value) 

I'm sure future resale value took a hit, but do you think it took more of a hit than the $200 difference in price between what he paid for the 5C and the 16GB 5S?  If it didn't, then this is a smart move overall.  

Also, for some people, the resell value doesn't factor in as much as having a newer phone right now.  We picked up two 5Cs in our family -- one was to replace a 64GB 4S.  My wife wasn't using the 64GB of storage and the resell value of the 4S was around $350 or so at the time.  If we would've waited another year, we would've lost that resell value.

The other 5C was for one of my kids who needed to replace a broken 4.  Even with it being broken, Target still gave us $40 for it.

I don't see how either of those two purchases would've been better if we would've gotten the 5S instead, other than more money out of my pocket now for the hope that we might get more money back when it's resold in 2 years.  That really doesn't sound like a better deal to me.

post #84 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

I gotta admit I thought the 5c is a bit overpriced but it looks like Apple got their target audience right. Samsung owners who want better quality plastic, smaller easier to hold phones, and an iOS that doesn't make your eyes bleed.

Not sure what your reasoning is -- if Apple would've kept to their prior strategy, the iPhone 5 would be 16GB and in the same price slot as the 5C is today.  The 5C is effectively a 5 with a newer case/design, better front facing camera and better battery for the same price.  

Plus I'm not really convinced that we would see heavy discounts on the iPhone 5 if they had went with that strategy -- it was a high precision design that makes sense on your flagship product, but not on a product that's meant to be more affordable.  There just isn't enough wiggle room to get the 5 down in price like the 5C.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that one of Apple's goals with the 5C was that the retailers would use it as a loss leader.  Apple gets to keep their pricing points stable and allows the Wal-Marts and Targets of the world to fight it out in the mud with the heavy discounts.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Half of Apple's iPhone 5c sales are to Android switchers - report