or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Android users accounted for 40% of Apple's iPad sales on Black Friday - report
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Android users accounted for 40% of Apple's iPad sales on Black Friday - report - Page 2

post #41 of 51
OT, speaking of Android Fans vs. Apple Fans, I just read 'Dogfight' last week. It was pretty interesting, especially the bits that talk about the risks Apple took to get the iPhone launched and the final chapters that talk about how the release of the iPad shook so many industries up. It really makes you appreciate Steve Jobs much more.

The only thing I didn't agree with was the author's claim that Apple sued Samsung because they didn't want any competitors. I really think the obvious theft of design deserved the lawsuit.

AOT (Again, Off-topic), I'm gone for a week and suddenly I see SolipsX posting again! Nice to have his voice in the threads again adding to the regulars like SpamSandwich, Suddenly Newton, jungmark, et al. Welcome back!!
post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post
 

 

It's funny because it's true.  Apple devices work brilliantly when they stay within the Apple ecosystem but god help the person who wishes to sync an Apple device to a non-Apple device.  It truly is a miserable seventeen step experience that may involve command line interfaces during one or more of those steps.

 

Not so hard, really seeing as how iTunes is a relatively open database.

 

http://www.samsung.com/in/support/smartswitch/

 

http://www.htc.com/www/software/htc-sync-manager/

 

Except in this scenario it's the other way around, an Android handset with an iPad.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #43 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
 

 

Not so hard, really seeing as how iTunes is a relatively open database.

 

http://www.samsung.com/in/support/smartswitch/

 

http://www.htc.com/www/software/htc-sync-manager/

 

Except in this scenario it's the other way around, an Android handset with an iPad.

 

First it's because 'Android is open so it would be difficult to sync' and now it's 'iTunes is open so it would be easy'?  You're not making any sense and links for Samsung and HTC syncing programs aren't clearing up your stance for syncing Android devices to iPads.  I'm gonna move on and write this one off as a failed attempt to rip on Android without fully thinking the jab through.

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
post #44 of 51

Last week I ordered three iPad Airs using my android phone. Not in the US so not a black friday offer. My kids want an iPad for St. Nicholas (A dutch  feast that is not Christmas and not Santa). I tried to talk them into an android but they went with the iPad.

 

But they are young and have a lot to learn.

post #45 of 51
I will miss reading these militant, if it's not an Apple it's crap comments. I always wondered who they were directed towards. I always got this image of a bunch of identical looking dudes standing in a circle jerking off while complimenting each other on their penis's.

Who cares what gadget people choose or for what reason they chose it. Why do you guys have to be so snobby. There are lots of things an Android tablet can do that iPad can't and Visa Versa. Guess what, I like the new Surface 2, big surprise right. Tell is why little Swiss Miss who thinks she's so high and mighty, apparently mostly high. The first release was a little sketchy but MS got their poop together and fixed it. I was also wrong about RT, it's not all that bad, by changing just one silly flag you can easily install desktop apps, as long as they are ARM and you have access to the source, as well as a mega brain like mine to compile said source into an executable. You can always cheat, you lazy bastards is that how you graduated Kindergarten, by using someone elses picture of a purple cat. Anywhooooo head over to XDA, people are hosting completed exe's. See you have now opened up the Surface to a slew of open source software. Oh Open Source is crap you say, well you suck, I hate you, and my new Nokia 2520 is uber cool, I didn't buy the Surface 2 as it is now apparent, Nokia sent me a 2520 for free, long story but now I am Super Lumia girl, duh, duuuh,daaahhh, ddummmmbbb. Anyway, I now have MySQL, PHP, Apache or a XAMP server, Gimp, VLC, Hydrogen, Filezilla, LMMS, Inkscape, DIA, Scribus and Lantharos IDE all running without errors. no Java support as of yet so no Eclipse).

What am I rambling on about, oh yeah, your gadget, in this case a tablet is only as cool as the person using it, just because it has a half eaten piece of fruit on top doesn't automatically make it awesome.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #46 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

First it's because 'Android is open so it would be difficult to sync' and now it's 'iTunes is open so it would be easy'?  You're not making any sense and links for Samsung and HTC syncing programs aren't clearing up your stance for syncing Android devices to iPads.  I'm gonna move on and write this one off as a failed attempt to rip on Android without fully thinking the jab through.

It is relatively easy for companies to write software that syncs with iTunes, due to Apple making the database fairly open, the only company that had issues was Palm and that was because they hacked the USB standard to try and disguise their devices as iPods.

Now on to the understanding of satire, the "seventeen steps" I was alluding to was based on the Google + post by Schmidt, in which he describes how "easy it is" to move a "friend" from iOS to the Android handset he suggested you buy them as a Christmas gift.

The Google+ "abuzz" with 2 to 3 people is a reference to how few people actually use it compared to it's touted five hundred million users.


As I was brought up on a diet of British and Australian humour, I sometimes forget that Americans are more used to a simpler. Pie in the face, slapstick style and often miss more subtle references.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #47 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep View Post

My friend, you must be new here.  If you're looking for unbiased Apple-related news, you are on the WRONG site.  Seriously.  AI is where the wagons are circled 24/7 and a harmless observation is taken as an affront to the site's (and their readership's) Apple-ness.

I'm just here for the free doughnuts.

Biased? Yes, I would say AppleInsider is biased, in the sense that it promotes that which is good and right. Those things tend to be Apple-related these days.

PS If that photo is really you, then—I like you.
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
Reply
post #48 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post
 

The iPad 2 seems to be seen as a sort of 1980's mercedes benz, a bit long in the tooth but quality nevertheless.

Build quality, and attention to long view details.  MB builds cars to serve it's owner for a long time.  If you focus on selling a car every 2(lease)-5(loan) years, you build them differently. You see that in the race to the bottom markets of Android, Windows XP.   

 

And when you buy a MB, they retain value, and are 'reused' in the non-retail market (hand down to child, or sold on the private market).

 

The iPad 2 is like the G5 iMac.   Quite limited in terms of current market capabilities, but still quite functional and under normal use, won't wear out.  (My G5 is still serving up my mother's email and browsing needs...)  Her next computer will likely be my 2 year old iPad 2 and a wireless keyboard (partly because my 14yo nephew is iOS savvy, and I want to get out of the out of state support business).   And Apple is still supporting the iPad 2 with the current OS (see developer love below).

 

my 1999 purchased Lime G3 iMac is still being used by my 8 yo niece and her father (my cheap brother).   

 

my 2008 Macbook titanium is working well on my mother in law's counter... she facetimes, and ebays and yahoos just fine.

 

Now... Titanium Laptops don't last well for college kids who did a lot of road trips... however, my 2003 G4 867mhz is still booting.

and those White Macbooks... just don't last.... as laptops.  My wife's 2009 is dying (graphics and/or screen HW, cover cracked, battery)... my daughter's 2007 died a year ago.

 

All that said.   Apple equipment 

a) is built to last

b) is supported longer in reality  (better OS support longer) than Windows OEM equipment and definitely better than carrier delivered Android equipment

c) with all the 'limitations' that the HW, iOS and AppStore but into the ecosystem, are evolving as system strengths.   Less malware, more stability, more life span (think if you had to support the latest Flash and Java on a 3 year old 16gb iPad), easier developer support of legacy HW (OSes support farther back, less configurations variables to support (screen, networking, cabling, peripherals).

 

In the end,  the bigger issue isn't 'switchers'  it's the 'retention' of apple consumers.   Once you buy your first, you're more likely to be 'invested' in the Apple ecosystem.   In the past this was because you were basically an island (the 1 Mac in 20 in town) and needed to 'understand' your computer platform, but with the ITMS ecosystem, now it's more one of your consumables [passwords, contacts, music apps data] are 'in your phone/ipad/cloud',  the 'enertia' to stay within the Apple gravity will be greater.

 

I did a time series analysis of this a while back... if 20% of (a smaller number) iOS users migrate to non Apple platforms, and 40%-50% of a much larger Android market migrate to Apple... This will come in at about 40-45% of Apple market share of 'users' (not sales).  And belaboring the point, these 40-45% are the 'most active' mobile users, in buying stuff, and paying for quality vs quantity (screen size).  Read:  Most profitable.

The Apple Long Game is not to sell the most, but be 'enjoyed the most.'

 

 

Bottom line... Android is the entry level iOS device... low barrier of entry, gets people use to being highly mobile, exercises their finger dexterity, etc.     Apple is the 'quality' device (the family car, the home theater system investment)... one that is purchased based on need, not on curiosity, and is more likely to be handed down when is ceases to be of value to the owner (in my home it was the laptop shuffle.. mine to my wife, hers to a child, the childs to my mother(in-Law)), which isn't reflected in retail sales.

post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporland View Post


Future headline:
The heavily-discounted 32-gigabyte Microsoft Surface RT had the highest gift return ratio of any tech product sold this holiday season....


These are gifts "for other people."

 

I've seen Android 7" tablets for $25 to $60 on sale. YES, someone is going to buy that and play Angry Birds or watch Netflix. It's shouldn't be in the same category. There are "smart phones" and there are "feature phones with Android" also confusing the market.

 

The stone cold fact here is that iPad and iPhone own the markets for smart tablets and phones, and then comes some top tier Android devices like the Galaxy. Divide most sales figures by 2 to 5 to get the real number, as there is a lot of shelf stocking and buyback going on.

post #50 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep View Post

Well, ok then.
http://adage.com/article/dataworks/infoscout-mines-receipts-data/244950/

Less FUDdy for you?  Since you won't (or can't) "out" 2 and 2 together, of their panel of 125,000 shoppers (statistically insignificant BTW), a subset went shopping on Black Friday.  A subset of those bought iPads and of that subset, 40% MIGHT own an Android phone.  So from that, we gather that this 40% number holds across the board, reason be damned?  Sounds about right if it paints Apple in a positive light.  I wouldn't expect anything less from such an active member of this forum.

125k is a decent sample size for Black Friday shoppers. There's always a margin for error. Again, how these customers were selected are always up for debate. However, with a sample size that large, I suspect it's closer to a good cross section of buyers than not. Since Black Friday sales offer deep discounts, it's safe to say Androiders were out in force.
post #51 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


It is relatively easy for companies to write software that syncs with iTunes, due to Apple making the database fairly open, the only company that had issues was Palm and that was because they hacked the USB standard to try and disguise their devices as iPods.

 

It's easier then that.  One doesn't need a professional software development team to code custom software in order to sync with Apple devices.  It's a long and painful process, but it's not as bad as you're suggesting.

"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
"Proof is irrelevant" - Solipsism
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Android users accounted for 40% of Apple's iPad sales on Black Friday - report
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Android users accounted for 40% of Apple's iPad sales on Black Friday - report