or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Police arrest copper burglar suspect at Apple's Campus 2 construction site

Police arrest copper burglar suspect at Apple's Campus 2 construction site

post #1 of 66
A man who snuck into Apple's spaceship Campus 2 construction site this weekend was accused of burglary after being found with copper pipes and wiring removed from the buildings.

Copper suspect Apple Campus 2

According to a report by Henry Lee of the SF Chronicle, Apple's security patrol called in the police to investigate a burglary in progress Saturday evening.

The site is a former HP campus that Apple acquired in 2010 and actively began tearing down in August (below) in order to make room for its new research and design office complex in Cupertino.

Existing buildings on the site are being gutted, with valuable recyclables like copper being reclaimed for recycling. Vacant buildings are an attraction to thieves seeking to harvest copper pipes and wiring, which can fetch around $3 per pound.

Police called in a helicopter and K-9 unit to investigate the situation. They discovered a 56 year old man from Belmont hiding at the site, whom they attacked with their police dogs for failing to obey orders, the report stated.

A bag of tools was discovered near an exit gate along with the copper. The suspect was arrested on suspicion of burglary and possession of burglary tools.

Apple recently received final approval to begin building Campus 2, including the project's signature 2.8-million-square-foot circular "spaceship" building and a series of supporting structures.

The site will host over 12,000 employees. Apple's chief executive Tim Cook said in February that he expects building to be completed by 2016.
post #2 of 66
It's a fair cop (per)....
post #3 of 66
Got himself a nice black turtleneck too.
post #4 of 66
too bad he got caught. iCopper would be worth quite a bit on ebay.
post #5 of 66
The house next to my parents' is vacant and had the copper stolen recently - I think they caught the thieves - at $3 a pound I can't imagine they got more than a couple or few pounds out of a 1200 sq ft house. How desperate do you have to be for $20 or less to break in to a house to steal the plumbing and wiring?
post #6 of 66
Take him to the air locks .....
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #7 of 66

That happens constantly here.

post #8 of 66
Quote:
 I can't imagine they got more than a couple or few pounds out of a 1200 sq ft house. How desperate do you have to be for $20 or less to break in to a house to steal the plumbing and wiring?

#recession

post #9 of 66
Originally Posted by asterion View Post

#recession

Irrelevant. Notice the lack of “hashtag” (pound sign, for sane people), which removes the air of nonchalance.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #10 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

How desperate do you have to be for $20 or less to break in to a house to steal the plumbing and wiring?

meth head

(sans pound sign - agree with Tallest Skil)
post #11 of 66
The guy stole copper pipe from a derelict building? Put him in the gallows! Display his photo all across the internet! Tar and feather him and fire him while you are at it.
post #12 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The guy stole copper pipe from a derelict building? Put him in the gallows! Display his photo all across the internet! Tar and feather him and fire him while you are at it.

Don't forget "attacked with their police dogs!" The guy almost certainly needs rehab, not multiple injuries.

post #13 of 66
Quote:

The house next to my parents' is vacant and had the copper stolen recently - I think they caught the thieves - at $3 a pound I can't imagine they got more than a couple or few pounds out of a 1200 sq ft house. How desperate do you have to be for $20 or less to break in to a house to steal the plumbing and wiring?

Wire is heavier than you think, and there's a lot more used than you would think too.  We got over $100 from wiring in an old model train layout. 

post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

everywhere.   For a long time.  

And this story has no AI legs.  Agree with Tallest Skil

post #15 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Wire is heavier than you think, and there's a lot more used than you would think too.  We got over $100 from wiring in an old model train layout. 

Granted if you could properly strip an entire house - that could add up - or an industrial location where you might be able to grab raw product off a pallet you might get dozens or hundreds of pounds - but in a smash and grab in a house - the basement is the only area where the pipes are likely to be exposed - not that thieves care how much damage they do to the property in the process. 

if this is correct - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-1-2-in-x-10-ft-Copper-Type-L-Pipe-LH04010/100354232#.Up3uaZFaEs0 - that means less than 3 pounds for 10 feet of 1/2" plumbing - in my house you could only get maybe 20 feet without ripping down ceilings and walls - and maybe a couple more pounds for a section of copper drain pipe - so perhaps 10 pounds maybe - at $3 per pounds that is maybe $30. I have no idea what any given street drug goes for - but if you have accomplices and have to split that two or three ways - maybe that gets through a day or two? Not that I am accusing any drug addict of thinking clearly - but I cannot fathom how that makes any sense - you risk your life in several ways while committing the crime - you could be injured (in fact one of the thieves next door to my parents left some blood evidence at the scene) - you could be shot if someone does happen to be home or a neighbor hears you and decides to check out the noise - or if the police catch you in the act you could be shot by them or arrested either at the scene or later. 

A couple of guys decided to try to rob the local scrap yard - they were not expecting the owner to be armed. 

post #16 of 66

Apple shouldn't be cutting corners with plain old copper wiring.  Gold wiring is the way to go.

post #17 of 66
Originally Posted by malax View Post
Apple shouldn't be cutting corners with plain old copper wiring.  Gold wiring is the way to go.

All the wires in Apple Campus 2 will be made of stanene. They’ll also be shifting their A-series processors to use stanene instead of silicon.

post #18 of 66
Not defending this guy, but how much did it cost taxpayers for the police to launch a helicopter and bring the canine unit? Why couldn't they just wait for the guy to come out the gate?

Would the police have sent a helicopter if this wasn't Apple property?
post #19 of 66
Quote:

I guess if you have no money and no food, $20 is a lot.

Edited by stargazerCT - 12/3/13 at 7:26am
post #20 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Irrelevant. Notice the lack of “hashtag” (pound sign, for sane people), which removes the air of nonchalance.

Actually, it's called an octothorp.  :p

post #21 of 66

It's obvious this guy is a meth addict. People will do anything for the drugs they are addicted to.

post #22 of 66
Pilfering cooper wiring and pipes late in the evening. Clearly, he doesn't have to get up early in the morning to go to work! Probably independently wealthy.
post #23 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

What?  Where?

post #24 of 66
Copper thief nabbed by coppers...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #25 of 66
Was it Bilbo Baggins looking for Smaug?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #26 of 66

But stealing is wrong. The pain experienced through empathy when people cause harm to others should prevent this sort of thing.

post #27 of 66
Quote:

Pound sign: £
Hash: #
post #28 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Not defending this guy, but how much did it cost taxpayers for the police to launch a helicopter and bring the canine unit? Why couldn't they just wait for the guy to come out the gate?

Would the police have sent a helicopter if this wasn't Apple property?

A later report provided more detail: The burglar refused to come out of hiding and rather than waiting him out (at even more cost to taxpayers not to mention the continuing distubance to the neighborhood) the police sent the K9 in to look for him. He also resisted the K9, who responded by biting the suspect causing him to surrender.

The area of the demolition is quite large and in similar cases, a helicopter is the most effective way to search for suspects.

post #29 of 66

It's Jony Ive time travelling from 20 years in the future. It was the only way for him to escape his white dungeon.

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

post #30 of 66
Locall last week a guy electrocuted himself trying to steal copper from a power substation. Same thing happened a couple of years ago.
post #31 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Pound sign: £
Hash: #

Homonyms* show that we can have words with different meanings and origins that have the same sound and spellings so there is no reason you can call bough to them a pound, especially when their usage is so distinct that there is little chance of them being confused in context. You're more likely to have pound for weight, which is where the pound sterling derives, to cause more confusion.

Anecdotally the use of # after a number value to indicate weight in pounds does seems to be seldom used these days but it still seems common enough before a number to denote a value in list of questions. Either way, it's not incorrect to refer to it as either a hash, hashtag, pound sign, or octothorp. If you're only phrasing is "the one above the 3 on a keyboard" or "that tic-tac-toe board symbol" then there is an issue.

PS: Even though popularity has clearly made it to the masses with Twitter (followed by Facebook's adoption) it should be noted it was used in the same way back on IRC channels to denote a topic. I don't think it's a coincidence Twitter choose this particular symbol.

* A synonym for a homonym is a homograph. Language is so crazy.
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/3/13 at 9:20am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Locall last week a guy electrocuted himself trying to steal copper from a power substation. Same thing happened a couple of years ago.

Note that tjwal resides in or around Calgary. 1tongue.gif
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/3/13 at 9:31am

post #33 of 66
A well travelled gentleman.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Homonyms* show that we can have words with different meanings and origins that have the same sound and spellings so there is no reason you can call bough to them a pound, especially when their usage is so distinct that there is little chance of them being confused in context. You're more likely to have pound for weight, which is where the pound sterling derives, to cause more confusion.

Anecdotally the use of # after a number value to indicate weight in pounds does seems to be seldom used these days but it still seems common enough before a number to denote a value in list of questions. Either way, it's not incorrect to refer to it as either a hash, hashtag, pound sign, or octothorp. If you're only phrasing is "the one above the 3 on a keyboard" or "that tic-tac-toe board symbol" then there is an issue.

PS: Even though popularity has clearly made it to the masses with Twitter (followed by Facebook's adoption) it should be noted it was used in the same way back on IRC channels to denote a topic. I don't think it's a coincidence Twitter choose this particular symbol.

* A synonym for a homonym is a homograph. Language is so crazy.

Being American, I am perfectly aware that it it is referred to as a pound sign in the United States.
post #35 of 66
Thomas Hayden Church falls on desperate times.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #36 of 66
Quote:

Granted if you could properly strip an entire house - that could add up - or an industrial location where you might be able to grab raw product off a pallet you might get dozens or hundreds of pounds - but in a smash and grab in a house - the basement is the only area where the pipes are likely to be exposed - not that thieves care how much damage they do to the property in the process. 

if this is correct - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-1-2-in-x-10-ft-Copper-Type-L-Pipe-LH04010/100354232#.Up3uaZFaEs0 - that means less than 3 pounds for 10 feet of 1/2" plumbing - in my house you could only get maybe 20 feet without ripping down ceilings and walls - and maybe a couple more pounds for a section of copper drain pipe - so perhaps 10 pounds maybe - at $3 per pounds that is maybe $30. I have no idea what any given street drug goes for - but if you have accomplices and have to split that two or three ways - maybe that gets through a day or two? Not that I am accusing any drug addict of thinking clearly - but I cannot fathom how that makes any sense - you risk your life in several ways while committing the crime - you could be injured (in fact one of the thieves next door to my parents left some blood evidence at the scene) - you could be shot if someone does happen to be home or a neighbor hears you and decides to check out the noise - or if the police catch you in the act you could be shot by them or arrested either at the scene or later. 

A couple of guys decided to try to rob the local scrap yard - they were not expecting the owner to be armed. 

Unfortunately they do rip down the ceilings and the walls to get at more of it.  So they might get $100 worth and cause no less then $5000 worth of damage. 

post #37 of 66
This is easily the worst post on AI ever. Please don't post this click bait junk.
post #38 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by asterion View Post

#recession

You mean the "octothorpe" or "number" (#) sign?

The "£" (pound) character predates the hash sign by several hundred years if not more, whereas the number might be called the pound sign by mistake as it has the same position on American keyboards as the pound sign.

post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by igamogam View Post

You mean the "octothorpe" or "number" (#) sign?

The "£" (pound) character predates the hash sign by several hundred years if not more, whereas the number might be called the pound sign by mistake as it has the same position on American keyboards as the pound sign.

As previously mentioned it's not called a pound sign by mistake. It's correct and accepted usage for the term.

It's absolutely foolish to claim a nation using a homonym before another is grounds for others being incorrect. This is how homonyms work and they oft happen within the same culture and nation. Do you think it's wrong for the British to use the synonym aluminium instead of aluminum despite the latter being accepted first and the former directly being derived from the original term aluminum?
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/3/13 at 10:48am

post #40 of 66

At 0.1 lb/ft for an AWG 6 copper wire,  you dont need to steal that much of medium cable to get a rather valuable, if heavy loot.

A 100 ft spool is not big.

And in an industrial building, there must be 10s of miles of such wire. Looting a house for wire would be absurd though (small dias).

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Police arrest copper burglar suspect at Apple's Campus 2 construction site